• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ot - Rash, Help Needed (Janet?!)

In summary, the grandson had a mild outbreak of eczema and is being treated with Lubriderm and Benadryl.
cwinter474
Gold Member
I have my grandson he is 5 this weekend. Last Sunday his great grandpa let him drink a 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk. Good Grief, I know.... anyways they also have a swimmimg pool whick he was in daily from last Friday till Monday from about 2 to 7, covered in sun screen.

He is covered in bumps, from his waist up to his chin. I'm not talking a occasional bump, he feels like sandpaper. EVERYWHERE! tummy, back, arms, chest, neck, groin area (little boy parts not covered, yet). He has NO bumps on his legs or feet. He started breaking out Monday evening.

We have been getting him to drink lots of water to clear his system. Keeping him out of the pool. NO more chocolate milk. Benadryl for the itch and alergic reaction for whatever it is.

Can't get him into the derm till Tuesday. Hate for him to suffer that long.

He had scabbies (YES, GROSS) last June, took about 3 treatments to get over that, but that was ALL over. His mom had some treatment medicine and treated him last night, no change this morning.

Anyone have any ideas???

Sounds like eczema, which is often aggravated by dairy. My son has it. What you're describing is a very mild outbreak. Get some Lubriderm or Eucerin and lather him up each night. :) You will not see any immediate change and it will eventually diminish.I would stop the leftover scabies medicine and you can even cut back on the benadryl. They really won't do anything. Eczema is an immune system problem, not an allergic reaction.

That would make since, as he lives on Mac-n-cheese.

Are there differant kinds of Lubriderm or Eucerin? Which do you recommend?

Thanks

Ok, it is REALLY scary to log on and see a thread that says Rash Help - Janet?! :pBaking soda bath for the itch, calamine lotion or there is a spray lidacaine-type medicine for itches - Band-Aid brand makes one.You already eliminated possible irritants and you can also keep giving the Bendryl.Keep him out of the sun - it could also be a form of a heat rash...and have him drink lots of water.

Also, he may be allergic to something in the sunscreen????

Either works. We have the Walmart brand (Equate) Eucerin and it's fine. Eucerin is very greasy and rich, whereas the Lubriderm is more like the kind of body lotion you and it would use. You can use either and store brand is fine. The key is to keep his skim moisturized.

janetupnorth said:
Ok, it is REALLY scary to log on and see a thread that says Rash Help - Janet?! :p

Janet, you are so loved :)

Wouldn't the water and benadryl be helping by now????

DebbieJ said:
Either works. We have the Walmart brand (Equate) Eucerin and it's fine. Eucerin is very greasy and rich, whereas the Lubriderm is more like the kind of body lotion you and it would use.

You can use either and store brand is fine. The key is to keep his skim moisturized.

I think I like the sounds of the Lubridrerm.

Do either of them leave you "sticky" feeling?

cwinter474 said:
Janet, you are so loved :)

Wouldn't the water and benadryl be helping by now????

They are helps not cures.

Water will help flush the system and is better than drinking soda, but water alone won't cure.

Water will help if it was a heat rash.

Benadryl helps with the histamines on an allergic reaction and also helps with itching. It also can make children sleepy which may make him take a nap and not itch. On specific rashes, it won't cure either, that may take a few days.

The creams Debbie recommended will help moisturize the skin and alleviate some of the irritation.

You still need time to complete the cycle.

...finding the source helps, although you may not...it may be chemicals in the pool, sun, food sensitivities or something else. You may not find the source until another reaction or maybe the dermatologist can help with that.

Thanks Janet. Nice to hear conformation of my thoughts other than the voices in my head :)

janetupnorth said:
Also, he may be allergic to something in the sunscreen????

I get a rash like you decribed Carol, from sunscreens....

Well, hello MS DIVA..... alive and well and home???? Thanks be to God!, you had us worried.

I'm thinking sunscreen also, which have you found don't break you out?

Both of my kiddos and my two neices just had this happen to them. The only thing I could figure was a mixture of sunblock, lots of sun and lots of pool water. After using Aveeno and keeping them out of the sun and water for a few days, it cleared up.

Erin, how long would you think he needs to stay out of the pool. I was going to let him go, with a t-shirt on and no sunscreen. What do you think?

cwinter474 said:
Well, hello MS DIVA..... alive and well and home???? Thanks be to God!, you had us worried.

I'm thinking sunscreen also, which have you found don't break you out?

Banana boat, and I cannot use water proof ones...

We always use the water proof ones, well so much for that.... just so weird

I would keep him out of the pool until you see the doctor on Tuesday. Since you don't know what the cause is and the sun can still make him hot and sweat may irritate the rash. I hope he feels better soon.

cwinter474 said:
Erin, how long would you think he needs to stay out of the pool. I was going to let him go, with a t-shirt on and no sunscreen. What do you think?

I didn't let mine go back in until it all cleared up due to not knowing if the sun and or pool contributed to the rash. I think it was mainly from the sunblock and sweating more than anything, but I didn't want to risk it getting more irritated.

Chef Michelle D said:
I would keep him out of the pool until you see the doctor on Tuesday. Since you don't know what the cause is and the sun can still make him hot and sweat may irritate the rash. I hope he feels better soon.

You know that is another thing, he isn't complaining. Benadryl is controlling the itch. The nurse called back and added Claritian as it is longer acting than the Benadryl. When he comes up close to you, you can just see that he is covered in little bumps. They aren't even red. Hard to describe. I just feel so sorry for him.

I am leaning more toward the sunscreens. As he is broke out where we apply them. Good grief.

Thanks for all the support, information and suggestions.

Carol

Good luck with it, keep a close eye on it and I hope it clears up soon!

cwinter474 said:
We always use the water proof ones, well so much for that.... just so weird

I also have issues with Chlorine, so we use Bromine...much kinder and gentler on the skin! :) Good luck figuring out what's going on with the little bugger... oh, Aveno has some great oatmeal products for baths, and lotions, and itch/rash creams... maybe try those?

Sounds to me like it could be a combo of too much clorine and something in the sunscreen and sun exposure - (not sure the chocolate milk would do anything unless there is an allergy there) Young skin is very sensitive to begin with - one of my kids used to get a rash (though not as severe as yours) from that - We now limit the sun, changed our pool over to a salt water system and apply sunblock 1/2 hour before going out. Since he is young and will want to cool off - maybe let him run thru the sprinkler -

Hope he feels better soon!

Update, I started him on the Clartitian along with the Benadryl, yesterday. Have removed all dairy from his diet. Covered him in Lubriderm. All was well, had a show last night so his great grandparents watched him. They let him go swimming. They put a white tshirt on him no sunblock.

After I got him home, I gave him a bath.

NO BUMPS, none skin was as smooth as a babies butt. YEA!!!!

We went to bed. Woke this morning covered again. still only from the waist up.

What do you think?

Actually I'm thinking it sounds like a heat rash...sweating while he is sleeping????

hummmm, that's an idea that hadn't crossed my mind.

Maybe I will change him from pj's to a tank top.

cwinter474 said:
hummmm, that's an idea that hadn't crossed my mind.

Maybe I will change him from pj's to a tank top.

let his sheets rinse in an extra rinse cycle, and make sure he isn't sleeping on one of those waterproof matress pads... because of the thin layer of plastic in them, they make kids sweat in their sleep.

Have you tried a little aveeno powder sprinkled on him before he goes to bed? Best of luck!

Related to Ot - Rash, Help Needed (Janet?!)

What is "Ot - Rash, Help Needed (Janet?!)"?

"Ot - Rash, Help Needed (Janet?!)" is a line of products designed to help soothe and relieve skin irritations, such as rashes, dryness, and itching.

What ingredients are used in "Ot - Rash, Help Needed (Janet?!)"?

The ingredients vary depending on the specific product, but some common ingredients include aloe vera, chamomile, vitamin E, and essential oils known for their skin-nourishing properties.

Are "Ot - Rash, Help Needed (Janet?!)" products safe for all skin types?

Yes, our products are formulated to be gentle and safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin. However, as with any new skincare product, we recommend doing a patch test before applying it to a larger area.

Can "Ot - Rash, Help Needed (Janet?!)" products be used on children?

Yes, our products are safe for use on children. However, we always recommend consulting with a pediatrician before using any new skincare products on children.

Do "Ot - Rash, Help Needed (Janet?!)" products have any added fragrances?

Our products are made with natural, plant-based ingredients and do not contain any added fragrances. Any scent you may detect is from the natural ingredients themselves.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pchefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
Back