• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ot: Leapster Tv or V Smile?!?!?!

In summary, the Leapster TV is appealing to a 4 & up, but may not be appropriate for an "advanced" 3. The VSmile is simpler and more durable, but some reviews complain about picture and sound quality. Both products have their pros and cons, but the final decision comes down to what the child is interested in and can handle.
chefjenibel
Okay, ladies (and gentlemen). I am desperately trying to decide between the Leapster TV and the VSmile for my son for Christmas. He is an "advanced" 3 (knows all his letters, numbers, colors, shapes, etc) So even though the Leapster TV says 4 &up I'm not worried about that aspect.
Who has had experience (good or bad) with either product? I have read a number of horrible reviews about how the VSmile quit working after a few months and no tech support from v tech.
I've also read that the Leapster TV's joystick is too "loose" and it isn't easy to stop the cursor on games. And that picture and sound quality are poor (not sure I'm too worried about this, either, I wouldn't expect it to look like PlayStation or XBox!) :p
I would like any opinions any of you have on these game systems. I will have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision by the end of the week.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Love the V-Smile. Bought it when it FIRST came out. Only complaint back then was that the Leap Frog one had way more cartridges, but now that's really not an issue.

I think overall that Leap Frog has better graphics, but I personally love the simplicity of the V-Smile. My daughter is now six, and still loves to play it.

HTH!

I am glad I am not the only one with that problem I bought the v-smile for my boys for christmas and it quit in a few months too. I don't have that leapster tv, but I am always buying leapfrog stuff for my kids and family members, I think they do wonders. We have so many magnetic leapfrog stuff on our fridge right now you can't see white, lol. I don't usually buy toys for my kids and if I do it's something they are going to learn something from, if they get just for fun toys it is usually from someone else.

I bought the VSmile for Kaylee for Christmas last year. It lasted untill about April and that might be extending it a bit. She didn't rough house it, it stayed in the livinging room so I could supervise her while playing but it just quit working one day. She was very advanced for a 3 yr old also, and I found she was easilly bored w/the topics of the games for younger kids but didn't quite have the hand-eye coordination to play the 4-7 yr old games. All around it was a huge waste of money in my opinion. I have found PC games to be the best way to go hands down.

What about the v smile pocket ones. My older two are getting game boys, and I wanted to younger two to not be left out so I thought this might be an option for them.

Thanks for your input! This sounds exactly like what I've read on the online reviews. Seems like the "original" V Smiles worked fine. They must have changed something in the manufacturing, and it seems since last Christmas, they just haven't been holding up. You ladies have confirmed my suspicions. :(
Leapster TV, here we come! :D

I have both the v-smile and the v-smile pocket. I like them both. We got it when it first came out (the original) and it works fine. We've never had any technical issues from either of them. I personally think they're very fun.

I bought my then 6 yr. old son the Pocket Leapster last Christmas and he loves it! (I'm extremely anti-game-boy etc.) This way he can have a game like his cousins but I feel good knowing that he's actually learning something! The game cartridges and skill taught are absolutely wonderful! (Coming from a primary teacher!) I don't think you'll regret purchasing Leapfrog!

I bought Caleb the Vsmile and he got bored with it. :(

Love the Vsmile and Vsmile pocketWe bought Caleb the Vsmile last Christmas, it has certainly held up. He was 3 when he got it, but it hasn't been until the last 4 months that he's really gotten into the games. Sooo, for his 4th bday last month, we got him the vsmile pocket since we'll be taking that long flight to Germany in a few months. He loves it just as much. I like the Leapfrog products too, but I liked the fact that the games that are played on the Vsmile, can also be played on the Vsmile pocket..no need to buy a bunch of new games. I love that he's learning as he's playing. Caleb can be hard on his Vsmile, but it has yet to break or shut down. I hope this helps. :)

Related to Ot: Leapster Tv or V Smile?!?!?!

1. What is the difference between the Leapster TV and V Smile?

The Leapster TV and V Smile are both educational gaming systems designed for young children. However, the Leapster TV is a plug-and-play console that connects directly to your TV, while the V Smile is a standalone console with its own screen. Additionally, the Leapster TV has a larger game library and is geared towards slightly older children (ages 3-8), while the V Smile is better suited for younger children (ages 3-5).

2. Can I use the Leapster TV and V Smile games interchangeably?

No, the Leapster TV and V Smile games are not compatible with each other. Each system has its own unique game cartridges and cannot be used interchangeably.

3. Do I need any additional accessories to use the Leapster TV or V Smile?

The Leapster TV and V Smile come with everything you need to get started, including a console, controller, and game cartridge. However, you may want to purchase additional game cartridges or a rechargeable battery pack for extended playtime.

4. Are there any parental controls on the Leapster TV and V Smile?

Yes, both the Leapster TV and V Smile have parental controls that allow you to set age-appropriate gameplay levels and restrict access to certain games or features. This feature ensures that your child is playing games that are suitable for their age and maturity level.

5. Can I connect the Leapster TV or V Smile to the internet?

No, the Leapster TV and V Smile are not internet-enabled. All games and content are accessed through physical game cartridges, so an internet connection is not necessary.

Back