• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ocean City, Maryland - Anyone Evervacation There?

Inner Harbor, Smithsonian Museums, and Camden Yards if you are in the area. In summary, Ocean City MD is a great place to visit with family. There is plenty to do and see, and the beaches are beautiful.
Gina M
Gold Member
I'm starting to plan our family vacation this year for mid June- it's me and my husband and 3 kids (will be 10, 14 and 16 at tine of trip). Anyone been to Ocean City MD? Just wanted some reviews. Or let me know where you've gone on family trips! I live in IL - don't mind flying - just don't want to spend fortune on airline tix. Thanks!

I was born near there and we went every summer. But that was a L-O-N-G time ago! I used to love Happy Jack's pancakes. Don't even know if it is there anymore. :)

My sister & BIL use to rent a house there for a week in the summer a long time ago. We visited them during that time twice. They would rent during Fourth of July week. The fireworks sitting on the beach were fabulous! At that time there was a lot of things to do or you could just relax. As I mentioned, it was quite a few years ago so I have no idea on changes good or bad.

Grew up in MD and when we were young, we used to go every year. It was fun for us kids (boardwalk, rides, junk food, arcades and of course, the ocean). But I don't know that it would have been my parents idea of a "good" vacation. But there was certainly enough stuff to keep us kids occupied.

But, that was a LONG LONG time ago.

The last time I was there was probably 15+ yrs ago. And that was to show DH the ocean (which he had never seen). We only went for the day.

I remember I used to love the Alaskan Stand Hamburgers. Wonder if it is still there?

If you're flying, do you realize how far OC is from the airport? Traffic on summer weekends is very heavy as there is only one main road from DC/Baltimore to OC. OC is a very commercialized beach area, esp. the farther south you are, ie. near the boardwalk. There are quieter communities up the beach and over the line into DE. Rehobeth is nice. Last I knew Dewey was more of a party community. Mid-June you will probably have groups of high school kids there on senior week trips. I did my senior week of college there. There is outlet shopping somewhat nearby. Go to DE where there is no sales tax.

I haven't been to OC in a while, not even for a day trip. We go to the Outer Banks of NC.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - we went to the Outer Banks last year and really loved it. I'm always the one who plans the trips and really want to find a new place to visit. Anyone like Baltimore?

I went to OC, MD when I was younger. We went back with my son when he was 2.5 and it reminded me so much about how it is a beach for the younger crowd. Lots of teenagers and college students... I just don't think it's nearly as family friendly as some of the other beaches.

Have you considered other parts of the Outer Banks? We are going to Kill Devil Hills in June... I also have heard great reviews about Duck and some other places a little bit north.

There is a TON to do in Baltimore. I have family that lives there and we love visiting. The National Aquarium, Inner Harbor - plus you are so close to DC, you can take a day visit there. You are also about an hour outside Hershey, PA and Lancaster, which have a lot of places to visit too.

Thanks for the heads up - we actually went to Southern Shores in the Outer Banks last summer - I enjoyed that area very much. You've given us a great idea about Baltimore and Pennsylvania- my husband loves history and wants to see Gettysburg and I think the kids would like Hershey PA as well. We went to DC in 2009 and loved that trip as well. My goal is to keep seeing new states - as many as I can! I appreciate the advice:)

Myrtle beach is fun & very family oriented in northern myrtle. We went there last year & really enjoyed it.

We did Hershey in '01 I think your kids would like it.

We went to Myrtle Beach 2 years ago, and aside from the traffic getting into/out of it, we had a lot of fun. Rented a condo, did the beach, mini golf, eating, etc. At the time our kids were 1 and 11.

I live just outside Baltimore.. (2 min from the Airport..) There's plenty to do in the area. and your close to DC so you can do those sites too.

I live an hr from Ocean City (OC as we refer to it hehe) there is an airport in Salisbury MD which is about 15-20 min to OC I recommend looking there before BWI or Dulles bc then you wouldn't have to deal with the Bay Bridge traffic, which is nuts in the summer time. It is a great vacation spot, lots to do! If you go I highly recommend lunch at Fish Tales it is on the bayside and you can watch all the boats come in :)

We went to OC year before last. It was fun, the boardwalk is good, swimming is nice. Stay away from the jellyfish seasons!! Ouch ouch ouch!!
I liked going to Assateague and Chincoteague the best, we saw the wild horses!

I do recommend Myrtle beach more than OC. We go every other year, it always has fun things to do, very affordable lodgings and food and entertainment.

We went on vaca there last year and stayed at Francis scott key resort. its really nice has an indoor pool/outdoor pool mini golf an free shuttle service to an from the hotel to the boardwalk. it was nice that u didnt have to drive to find parking.

We normally would camp on Assateague Island, always a blast an would go clamming in the bay.

As a kid my parents owned a house in Dewey Beach, then OC my entire growing up years. It was fun as a kid but that was long ago. My husband LOVES OC because it is so loud and obnoxious and he can people watch on the boardwalk. I find it stressful and cheezy. I am a Hilton Head Island gal and highly recommend it to anyone. But that's because when I go to the beach all I want to do is sit on the beach or by the pool, read a good book and have a cabana boy bring me drinks with pineapple wedges and umbrellas in them. The golf in HHI is outstanding, there is tons to do, great nightlife, but you can also totally chill.

I used to live there! I highly reccomment Thrasher's Fries on the boardwalk. so good!

If you're flying, defiently look for a flight into salisbury's airport. Its not huge like BWI, but that bridg traffic can be HORRIABLE! I sat in traffic for 2 hours once trying to get back from visitng my parents in PA.

I also reccommend going up to Old Mill Crab house in DE. Its just a bit up the coast. All you can eat crab, crab legs, or shrimp. I really miss that place!

Getting a hotel on the boardwalk would be the best thing to get. Trying to find parking during prime season can be a nightmear unless you want to pay an arm and a leg or walk a lot.

Rehoboth, DE is also a nice place to go. Plus they have outlet shopping!

Hey pctharper they just opened a Old Mill in OC this past summer- it is AWESOME!! I highly recommend eating there

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We've decided to fly into Baltimore, stay there a few days and go to Philadelphia a few days and check out Gettysburg and Hershey Park. We're going for 7 nights in mid June - any must sees while we are there? I love planning trips - been doing it for many years (since before I was married nearly 18 years ago!)

I'll do a little plug for my friend. She runs Fells Point Ghost Tours. Fells Point is a great historic neighborhood near the Inner Harbor - several restaurants and bars.

The Board of Tourism website is a good place to start. I think there might be a discount pass that you can get for the National Aquarium and Science Center, and possibly one other place. The dolphin show at the aquarium is good but it's not Sea World with Shamu. It's more educational and focused on the environment. The aquarium has different levels of admission so you don't have to pay for and do the dolphin show if you don't want. You may want to reserve those tickets in advance as you're coming in a busy time of year. Otherwise you could get there and have to wait 2-3 hours for your entrance time, which is fine b/c there are shops and restaurants and paddle boats. If you have younger kids (older than toddler, under 10) check out Port Discovery. It has a 3-story indoor rope climbing thing and other exploration stations. Must do Ft. McHenry. We're coming up on the anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner (written while Ft. McHenry was under siege in the War of 1812) so they're sprucing up the place. That can be a couples hours or even a half-day event unless you have my 5 year old with you who is ready to leave before we put the parking brake on.

If you have a car, a few hours in Annapolis could be nice.

My aunt and uncle took the trolley sightseeing tour of the city several years ago. They like to get somewhere and get an overview tour.

Let us know if you need feedback on hotel locations.

And get ready to speak Bawlmoreeze, hun.

Hershey - now you're talking! :) I can't wait to go to Baltimore for Spring Launch but it won't by anymeans be vacation. I won't leave though until I get to the aquarium. You made a good choice. Should you decide you still want to go to something like OC - I"m with the others, choose Rehobeth or Dewey. When I went to Dewey it was anything but a party, very quiet and it was my favorite. I hate having to 'find' a place to lay my towel and have 1000 screaming kids around (yes I don't have kids). Just my two cents but between Baltimore, Philly & Hershey - you'll have more than enough to do!

Be sure to do the tour of Chocolate world! :D

melindagilbert said:
Hey pctharper they just opened a Old Mill in OC this past summer- it is AWESOME!! I highly recommend eating there

We're planning to go back in a few months. Gonna have to get to that!!! Its about time they open one in OC!

1. What are the must-visit attractions in Ocean City, Maryland?

The top attractions in Ocean City, Maryland include the famous Ocean City Boardwalk, Jolly Roger Amusement Park, Assateague Island National Seashore, and Northside Park.

2. What is the best time of year to visit Ocean City, Maryland?

The peak tourist season in Ocean City, Maryland is during the summer months (June-August), but the off-season months of September and October offer comfortable temperatures and fewer crowds.

3. Are there any family-friendly activities in Ocean City, Maryland?

Yes, Ocean City, Maryland is a popular destination for families. Some family-friendly activities include mini-golf, water parks, and fishing. There are also free family events and concerts held throughout the summer.

4. Is it easy to find accommodations in Ocean City, Maryland?

Yes, there are plenty of options for accommodations in Ocean City, Maryland including hotels, vacation rentals, and campgrounds. However, it is recommended to book in advance, especially during peak season.

5. What are some popular restaurants in Ocean City, Maryland?

Ocean City, Maryland has a variety of dining options, including seafood restaurants, boardwalk eateries, and fine dining establishments. Some popular restaurants include The Shark on the Harbor, The Crab Bag, and Seacrets.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • Gina M
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
debswork
  • pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies