• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fixing a Solid Lump of Sugar: Tips and Tricks for Pantry Storage

V
vwpamperedchef
I just bought a 5 lb thing of sugar, not long ago. Its been in my pantry, I went to use it today and it is a giant solid lump. What can I do to make it granular again, and to prevent this from happening in the future?

I do use Tupperware Modular Mates, but I was finishing what was left in it before I added to it. KWIM?

I managed to use what I needed, but unsure of how to proceed.

THANKS!

Is it possible to put it in the tupperware and then hack at it?! ;) I've had times where there were a lot of huge clumps, but not as bad as you are describing. But maybe once you start hacking at it, it'll crumble apart and not be completely through and through hard. KWIM?

I have seen people put a small piece of ceramic in there sugar to keep from clumping--I would wonder if it got wet?? Or moist where it was kept-

I've heard of putting a slice of bread or a couple of apple slices in an airtight container with brown sugar to soften it up, but maybe it would work on regular sugar, too? Hope this helps somehow...

babywings76 said:
Is it possible to put it in the tupperware and then hack at it?! ;) I've had times where there were a lot of huge clumps, but not as bad as you are describing. But maybe once you start hacking at it, it'll crumble apart and not be completely through and through hard. KWIM?

This doesn't sound so easy! LOL The container isnt that big, but maybe I could find a bigger bowl to hack away at it. Maybe I should wait til I have an aggravating day at work and then come home and take my aggression out on it?? HA!;)

The ceramic thingy/bread is only for brown sugar, where you want it to stay a little moist. Moisture in white sugar will make it clump, you want it to stay as dry as possible.

I would double bag it in ziplock bags and take a rolling pin to it, or actually maybe the meat tenderiser (flat side!) and whack at it to see if you can get it to break up enough.

I was curious, so googled it. This is what I found at Sugar Association. Hope it's helpful! :)

Q-"How can I soften hard white sugar?"
A-"Sugar hardens when it is exposed to moisture, like high humidity, and then the surface dries. Break the hardened sugar into manageable pieces with a meat tenderizer or heavy mixing spoon. Toss the pieces into a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth. It’s best to keep your sugar in a sealed container."

Thanks Erin, I took the advice of one of the earlier posts and put in slices of bread, prior to reading that that was only for brown sugar. I placed the block of sugar in with the bread, and it immediately cracked in half on a diagonal.

Every now and then i go over to it and give it a hearty shake with the lid on. Its been working, so far.

The tupperware container is going thru the wash and when it is clean and dry I will put my reformed granulated sugar into it!

Thank you to all for the suggestions!

1. How do I make a solid lump of sugar granular again?

One way to make a solid lump of sugar granular again is to break it into smaller pieces and then use a food processor or blender to grind it into a fine powder. You can also place the lump in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush it into smaller pieces. Once the sugar is broken down, you can sift it to remove any remaining lumps.

2. What can I do to prevent sugar from turning into a solid lump?

Sugar can turn into a solid lump if it is exposed to moisture. To prevent this from happening, it is important to store sugar in an airtight container in a cool and dry place, away from sources of heat or humidity. You can also add a few grains of uncooked rice to the container, as the rice will absorb any excess moisture.

3. Can I still use the sugar even though it has turned into a solid lump?

Yes, you can still use the sugar even if it has turned into a solid lump. Simply break it into smaller pieces and follow the steps mentioned above to make it granular again. The sugar is still safe to consume as long as it has not been contaminated by any outside factors.

4. I use Tupperware Modular Mates for my pantry storage, why did my sugar still turn into a solid lump?

It is possible that the Tupperware container was not completely airtight, allowing moisture to enter and cause the sugar to clump together. Make sure to check the seals on your containers and consider adding a moisture absorber, such as a small packet of silica gel, to the container to prevent this from happening in the future.

5. What should I do if I have a 5 lb thing of sugar that has turned into a solid lump?

If your sugar has turned into a solid lump, you can still use it by following the steps mentioned above. However, in the future, it may be more convenient to store sugar in smaller quantities to prevent it from clumping together. You can also consider transferring the sugar to an airtight container as soon as you bring it home from the store to prevent any moisture from entering in the first place.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
candiejayne
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies