• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Appetizer Ideas for a Large Reception?

In summary, Trish recommends mini Caprese sandwiches, tuxedo brownie cups, meatballs, bacon wrapped waterchestnuts, and cheese ball for a casual or elegant affair.
jasonmva
Silver Member
I have been asked by some friends if I would be interested in catering their reception when they renew their vows in March. I haven't said yes or no yet (leaning more toward yes). My dilemma is they are expecting between 50-100 people and they are just looking for appetizer-type finger food things. Anyone have some suggestions? I am already thinking of:

Mini Caprese Sandwiches
Tuxedo Brownie Cups
Meatballs (not sure if doing Asian,Curry or maybe both)
Bacon Wrapped Waterchestnuts

TIA

The tortilla or wonton cups filled with crab-type filling...

Believe it or not you could do the cool veggie pizza in a bar pan and just cut them on angles. Its a great dish for those who don't eat meat.

A fondue of some sort is always good...

The bread with the cream and cucumbers...recipe in the older books...someone help me with a name...

Jason,

Love your avatar! How about mini-ham puffs? My aunt owns a catering business and people love those!

Janet - can't remember the name either - we just always called them cucumber sandwiches, but those would be good, too!

Do you want it to be all PC recipes?? is it going to be semi formal, casual???

asparagus phyllo wraps

bacon onion tart (old tart recipe cards but make them individual in MMP) this is an excellent recipe and the filling goes along way when you make small portions I make it the day before and refrigerate so the flavors meld and then pop it in the crust.

Wrap small pieces of brie in crescent rolls top with a small heart cutout and bake in mini muffin pan

what about skewers of veggies or fruit similiar to what indredible edibles makes?

cheese ball for big parties I use the mini stainless steel scoop and make individual ones

cheese trays with clusters of grapes

Do you have access to a chocolate fountain?
When I set mine up I use marshmallows (sometimes I can find the toasted coconut ones, kiwi , strawberries, pretzels, grapes, bananas, angel food cake cubes, granny smith apples, melon balls

sizzling coconut shrimp cakes - yumm!!!

Mini quiches are good. You can put just about any kind of filling in them, and they keep warm well (200 degree oven on a heat-safe plate).

How about Chicken Satay Spring Rolls, or Savory Cheese Crostini. I was going to say mini quiches, but Ann said it first. Good luck!

I love the tuxedo brownie cups. You could dress them up with strawberries and drizzle milk chocolate over them. They would look so elegant.

Stuffed mushrooms are always a big hit!!!

Also, the chocolate fruit dip on the front of the "All The Best" cookbook.

Yum...I am getting hungry thinking about it.

Is this a casual or an elegant affair?

I've got an awesome Mexican Spinach & Sausage Dip recipe. I get requests to make it at all of our covered dish events.

Hot Mexican Style Spinach and Sausage Dip
1 Pound Hot/Spicy Sausage
1 Medium Onion - chopped
1 can of Diced Tomatoes (drain them some)
2 Tablespoons chopped canned Jalapeno pepper
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 cup half & half (maybe a little more if it’s too thick)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 (8 ounce) package Cream Cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 (2.2 ounce) cans sliced ripe olives, drained (I just used a handful)
1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper

1) Cook the hot/spicy sausage in a large skillet or wok - when sausage is @ half done add the onion and finish cooking. Drain the grease off.

2) Add tomatoes and jalapeno pepper, cook @ 2 minutes.

3) Add spinach and remaining ingredients, stirring well. (You may need to add @ 1/3 to 1/2 cup more half & half as the sausage will soak-up some of the moisture.) Spoon mixture into baking dish.

4) Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve warm with tortilla chips.

Spinach Diamond Puffs. Great looking and great tasting. And, it's easy to make up tons!

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Praying for Paige's safe return

Catering...I have done large events for 150 people for the past 3 years and have some suggestions.

First, your list looks pretty good already. I haven't made the sandwiches but my recommendation is that if it is really a sandwich with bread, it might dry out by the end of the event; keep those factors in mind and look for things that can hold up over several hours of storage, serving, sitting, etc.

Remember, it doesn't have to be a PC recipe....but something you can display on PC Products such as SA to allow optimum benefit to you from a biz standpoint. Also, I strongly recommend things that can be made in advance by a day or a week!

Other Ideas:
Fruit and cheese kabobs with a mint sprig (I got 2 inch long bamboo skewers at a resteraunt supply store and they were PERFECT).

Mini Quiches....abolutely...they hold up very well for long periods of time.

Mini cheesecakes.

Salmon spread (with a cream cheese mixture) with a dollop on a thick slice of cucumber or a good quality cracker.

Tortilla roll-up recipes. So many varieties so I'd look for flavor component not in other recipes.

Are you doing beverages too? Using frozen lemonaide and adding fresh mint and lemon slices is an easy way to "upscale" a simple drink; also, I made the most awesome white wine sangria this year. I used 2 gallons of inexpensive white chablis. Placed it in a large drink cooler (the kind with the pour spout). Added 8 sliced and cored apples, 6 sliced, peeled and pitted peaches, 1 pound of green grapes and a handfull of strawberries. Stirred it all up. Placed a double bagged ziplock containing ice in the mixture (since the cooler wouldn't fit in a fridge) and rotated the ice when I stirred the mixture. I let the wine and fruit steep for 2 days. Then just before I started serving it, I added 1 gallon of fruit juice (I used a blend of apple and passionfruit). It was delightful! I couldn't pour out of the drink cooler for some reason so I poured the wine in batches into a large quick stir pitcher and served it that way. The drink has some nice color to it and bits of fruit. To stretch it further, add more juice. Note: I didn't have time at the event I was doing but I think it would have been nice to add one of the steeped grapes to each glass for presentation and more flavor.

Now I'm going to go look at other replies...I'm doing a few more events this year and am always looking for great ideas too!

The chocolate fondue dip is great with the cinnamon sugar tortilla chips or strawberries....

That spinach and sausage dip sounds wonderful. Is it a PC recipe? I think I am going to make it for my nephew's b-day party. Our family loves appetizers...especially heavy ones!!!

cookingmommy said:
That spinach and sausage dip sounds wonderful. Is it a PC recipe? I think I am going to make it for my nephew's b-day party. Our family loves appetizers...especially heavy ones!!!
It's a Southern Living Recipe....sort of. The original recipe didn't have the sausage in it and it called for fresh tomatoes. I like mine better.

I did the Tex-Mex Chicken Melts and the Tuxedo Brownies for my cousins rehearsal party. They were a BIG hit! They still talk about them 2 years later!

How about the Profiterole Puffs? They can be made a couple of weeks in advance, then frozen, too!! You could serve them in the Chillzanne Bowl to keep them cold, if you wanted to, but they taste OK at room temperature. (I really like 'em cold, personally, but it's good to know that they don't really HAVE to be.)

Veggie Trays with dips are always good finger foods.
Deviled eggs, in the Chillzanne Rectangle Server, or...Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, or....stuffed cherry tomatoes.

Best of luck! Be sure to let us know what you end up doing, and how it goes!!

Paula

1. What is "Calling All Cheffers..."?

"Calling All Cheffers..." is a virtual event hosted by Pampered Chef that brings together our passionate community of home cooks and chefs to celebrate our love for cooking and sharing delicious meals with family and friends.

2. When is "Calling All Cheffers..." taking place?

The event will take place on August 28th, 2021 from 9am to 5pm (CT).

3. How can I participate in "Calling All Cheffers..."?

To participate, simply register for the event on our website and tune in on August 28th, 2021. You can also join our Facebook group for updates and to connect with other Cheffers.

4. What can I expect from "Calling All Cheffers..."?

During the event, you can expect live cooking demos from our top consultants, exclusive product reveals, special offers and discounts, and the opportunity to connect with other Cheffers from all over the world.

5. Is there a cost to attend "Calling All Cheffers..."?

No, the event is completely free to attend. However, there will be exclusive discounts and offers available for attendees to take advantage of during the event.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cwinter474
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
cwinter474
Replies
Views
GourmetGirl
Back