• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Affordable Megabus for Midwest Conference Travel | Book Now for $1 Tickets!

In summary, the Megabus is a low-cost bus service that serves a hub in Chicago. Tickets are sold exclusively online and are tiered. There are usually a couple of tickets on each route that are priced at $1, then there are some at $8, etc. The buses do make scheduled stops for restroom/snacks and there are quite a variety of people who ride, although most are friendly.
chefann
Gold Member
If you live in the midwest and are looking for an inexpensive way to get to conference, I recommend the Megabus.

They're a low-cost bus service with a hub in Chicago, serving Minneapolis/St. Paul, Madison, Milwaukee, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Memphis, Kansas City, Columbia (MO), St. Louis, Champaign and Normal (IL). (Not all on the same route, obviously.) Tickets are sold exclusively online, and are tiered. There's usually a couple of tix on each route that are priced at $1, then there are some at $8, etc. I've never seen prices higher than $16 each way for the Detroit-Chicago route.

And this weekend, they made tickets for July available. I just got mine - $1 each way, plus a 50¢ ticketing charge, for a total of $2.50!

I know there are other Cheffers who use the bus, and my NED does, too.

HUH????? Oh my word Ann - I've never seen this before, but I'm gonna go look RIGHT now because I've been very concerned about how I was going to pay for airfare this year. Wow!!! Thank you sooooooo much!!!!!

Wow, I wish we could get transportation that cheap around here. Even $16 one way would be a blessing considering coming from the Northeast it's going to cost me +/-$300 roundtrip, at current prices anyway. If I go into Boston I save no money because either I have to take the bus there or park my car there either way it costs even more LOL I saw Megabus does have a hub in Boston but only goes to Hartford CT and NYC LOL

So Ann, how nice are these busses? I would have a long trip - from KC to Chicago - and the return would actually be an overnight ride.

They're pretty nice. Double deckers, actually :) The upper level has more seats than the lower, because the luggage compartment takes up some of the lower level. There's a lavatory on the lower, too.The buses do make scheduled stops for restroom/snacks. And there are quite a variety of people who ride, although most are friendly.

I was looking at the trips for myself, and it would be overnite, which would be good because then I'd have 1 less night for hotel....but I don't know how well I'd sleep! It might be fun if I had several from my downline and cluster go.

The train from many locations is very reasonable too!

janetupnorth said:
The train from many locations is very reasonable too!

True! Although, for me, train usually is about $70. I'd much rather pay $2.50! :)

Ann: I was looking into it for this year. Thank you for letting me know July was available. Do you then take a taxi to your hotel? Is it usually very far to a conference hotel from where the bus drops off in Chicago?

A group of us rode the Megabus from Cleveland last year ... it was a nice way to go. :) I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I rode the bus from Cleveland last year as well and for the price I paid I would do it again.

It wasn't far from Union Station to the hotel. Took like 10 minutes and cost about $7.

Yeah- the cab to the hotel isn't much. And if you travel with a clustermate, you can split the cab fare.

Cab fare is out of site! In a good way!
Union Station to the Hilton is about $6 bucks with the tip. I think I paid about $5 without the tip to the Sheraton.

Wow, this is interesting....can't believe you got tickets for 2.50! Wonder how long the trip takes from KC?

They use to stop in Louisville, but were stopping at the greyhound station. 6 months after my step son used it to come visit they stopped coming to Louisville.

Looks like we'll have to drive if we go... haven't decided yet, but my step sons live in chicago area, so at least we won't have to pay for a hotel.

This will be the 3rd year I have used it from Cincinnati. This year my cost is $33.50. Not bad at all!! It really is quite enjoyable.

lacychef said:
Wow, this is interesting....can't believe you got tickets for 2.50! Wonder how long the trip takes from KC?
Well, the dates I looked at have it leaving at 8:45 pm and arrive at 6:50 am, so about 10 hours.

this is totally neat! :> super cool. not in my area, but love the cool factor of the low rates!

I've been looking into the megabus and have a few (probably stupid) questions. This will be my first NC (and first time to Chicago) and I would like to be prepared since I won't be flying with the rest of my cluster who live 6 hours away! First, it looks like it drops you by Union Station, are the taxi stands near by to catch a cab or do you have to arrange for one to be there at the time you are dropped off? Second, how long before your scheduled departure should you be there? Is it like the airport where it will take you forever to check in, etc? Also, I was wondering if anyone from wave 1 was taking the megabus out of Cleveland? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Holly,
I was just reading through this and was going to post if anyone from Cleveland was going this way wave 1! I am thinking about it. I've never done it because our airfare is pretty darn cheap to Chicago really, and I'd much rather fly for 1 1/2 hours than drive for 5-6 on a bus. BUT, I've dropped quite a fortune on airfare already this year and could use all the help I can find getting to NC. My hospitality clustermates have gone this way for several years and always say it's great! You can pm me or email [email protected] to keep in touch about it.

Thanks,
Jane :)

I am seeing $31 from Cleveland, btw. Not too shabby! Does anyone know if I will have a problem getting back to Union Station for a 3:15 departure at the end of conference? I can't remember how late that last day goes.

chefHLM said:
I've been looking into the megabus and have a few (probably stupid) questions. This will be my first NC (and first time to Chicago) and I would like to be prepared since I won't be flying with the rest of my cluster who live 6 hours away! First, it looks like it drops you by Union Station, are the taxi stands near by to catch a cab or do you have to arrange for one to be there at the time you are dropped off? Second, how long before your scheduled departure should you be there? Is it like the airport where it will take you forever to check in, etc? Also, I was wondering if anyone from wave 1 was taking the megabus out of Cleveland? Thanks in advance for your help!
There are always a LOT of cabs at Union Station. You won't have a problem finding one.
janezapchef said:
I am seeing $31 from Cleveland, btw. Not too shabby! Does anyone know if I will have a problem getting back to Union Station for a 3:15 departure at the end of conference? I can't remember how late that last day goes.
You shouldn't have a problem getting back to the station for 3:15. Day 3 usually goes until 1:30 (not usually scheduled that long, but usually runs a little over). Depending on whether you change clothes, grab lunch, etc. you'll have decent time to make it there.

I guess I'm looking for anyone from Cleveland going (via Megabus) in Wave 2. Oops! And, thanks, Ann!

Jane- That was the departing time we took coming back last year and made it with no problem! Too bad you are in Wave 2 and the rest of us are in Wave 3 this year! :cry:

I know! I hate not being at the same conference as you all! Besides not getting to see any of you, I really have to make sure I'm quiet when I do talk to one of you before it starts! It's a challenge!

chefann said:
If you live in the midwest and are looking for an inexpensive way to get to conference, I recommend the Megabus.

They're a low-cost bus service with a hub in Chicago, serving Minneapolis/St. Paul, Madison, Milwaukee, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Memphis, Kansas City, Columbia (MO), St. Louis, Champaign and Normal (IL). (Not all on the same route, obviously.) Tickets are sold exclusively online, and are tiered. There's usually a couple of tix on each route that are priced at $1, then there are some at $8, etc. I've never seen prices higher than $16 each way for the Detroit-Chicago route.

And this weekend, they made tickets for July available. I just got mine - $1 each way, plus a 50¢ ticketing charge, for a total of $2.50!

I know there are other Cheffers who use the bus, and my NED does, too.

Ann,

Last year my cluster mates and I took the train from Dearborn and had a blast...have you ever taken the train? If so, how does Megabus compare to the train? I want to have some info to give them, we'd be leaving from Ann Arbor. Who is your NED?

My cluster used to take the train, before the Megabus started service. The bus is a lot less expensive, but otherwise they're comparable. One of the issues I have with the train is that Amtrak doesn't own the tracks, so when there's a freight train the passenger train must yield. Some of my clustermates have been delayed for HOURS when that's happened. The bus does pick up in Ann Arbor, but you won't have first dibs on seats (just like on the train). My NED is Randy Weiss. I saw her waiting for the St. Louis bus at the stop last year.

What is the conference date for someone from Minnesota?

It will depend on your Executive Director. Check your pay statement.

sammylld said:
What is the conference date for someone from Minnesota?

Like Rae said it depends on you Exec. director. I can tell you there will be a fairly large contingent of MN cons. in wave 3 this year. They are Home office direct. Also exec. Dir. Yvonne Matson has MANY MN cons and is also wave 3.

ok, Thank You

1. What is Megabus and where is their hub located?

Megabus is a low-cost bus service with a hub in Chicago. They serve several cities in the midwest, including Minneapolis/St. Paul, Madison, Milwaukee, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Memphis, Kansas City, Columbia (MO), St. Louis, Champaign, and Normal (IL).

2. How can I purchase tickets for Megabus?

Tickets for Megabus can only be purchased online. They are tiered, with a few tickets priced at $1 and others at higher prices such as $8 or $16.

3. What is the maximum price for a Megabus ticket?

The highest price for a Megabus ticket is $16 each way for the Detroit-Chicago route. However, there are usually a few tickets available at the lowest price of $1.

4. When are Megabus tickets usually available?

Tickets for Megabus are usually available a few months in advance. For example, tickets for July may be available in April.

5. Are there any additional fees when purchasing Megabus tickets?

There is usually a small ticketing charge, typically around 50 cents, when purchasing Megabus tickets. However, this is still a very affordable option for travel within the midwest.

Back