• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Medical 911 - Is There a Dr. or a Nurse in the House?

In summary, the patient has an abscess in their gum and is having a difficult time getting the appropriate help to get better because he is not a doctor.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
You would expect my next line to be "How are you enjoying the show, Doc?" but not tonight.

This is no joke.

Thumbnail - I am in Champaign, Illinois in a hotel room with a big-time fever and chills. The infection is in my upper left gum. A visit to the ER in Terre Haute, Indiana resulted in an antibiotic and two pain killers, one non-narc so I could drive home and one narc so I can sleep.

I checked in here at 5:15, and slept until now. When I got the script filled, I have no idea why I didn't buy a thermometer other than I'm not thinking clearly with the intense pain in my mouth and sinus.

Is there a medical Cheffer in the house, or in the area, that might be able to help me out? I'm not posting my personal info (for rather obvious reasons) but an email to [email protected] will yield the info to the right Samaritan.

Thank you in advance for screwing up your holiday but not as badly as mine is. Unless there is a miracle recovery here someplace, I will not likely be able to get home for Christmas - a place I haven't been since Thanksgiving.

-tkg

Oh no!! Get well soon KG!!
I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV) but my Dad is and I can call him for info if that would help you - feel free to email or PM me - I'll be online for a while.

Oh KG, I feel for you! I hope you get the help you need and that you can make it home for Christmas. Feel better soon!

Thank You All!

Having worked in the dental field for many years, I can only guess, and thats all this is, a guess, is that you may have an absessed tooth. Some simple questions will give you a yes, I may have this or No, it may be something else.

1. Are you swollen?
2. Does the pain seem to register in one area or is this an all over mouth ache?
3. Does heat make the pain better or worse?
4. Does cold make it better or worse?

If heat is seeming to make the owie go away, you definatly have an absess. The anti-biotics will aid in the infection and hopefully the pain meds will kick in.

This also may be a horrible sinus infection which would cause a "ghost" ache in your teeth.

A soon as you can get to a Dentist...GO.

I hope you are feeling better soon and just take it easy.

;)

thechefofnorthbend said:
Having worked in the dental field for many years, I can only guess, and thats all this is, a guess, is that you may have an absessed tooth. Some simple questions will give you a yes, I may have this or No, it may be something else.

1. Are you swollen?
2. Does the pain seem to register in one area or is this an all over mouth ache?
3. Does heat make the pain better or worse?
4. Does cold make it better or worse?

If heat is seeming to make the owie go away, you definatly have an absess. The anti-biotics will aid in the infection and hopefully the pain meds will kick in.

This also may be a horrible sinus infection which would cause a "ghost" ache in your teeth.

A soon as you can get to a Dentist...GO.
1. Yes
2. Upper left and into the sinus and eye. (I am due to be endentiated in January.)
3. Don''t know.
4. I'm using wet washrag as a compress.

Rinse with very warm salt water every few hours. It may take up to 48 hours for the antibiotic to kick it also. Do you know anyone in the area that can look out for you?

No, I don't. That's why I posted thisl

Dannyzmom has all the info if someone in the area wants to help. I'm going to take my narc now --- see ya'll in a few hours. :)

Hope u get better soon, what a bummer for this to happen now!! Keeping fingers crossed that you make it home and feel better.

Sorry I can't help and I know it stinks to be sick in a hotel room (happened to me more than once!), but I hope you feel better soon! (So was there no diagnosis from the ER?)

Sorry about your aches and pains. It seems like things like fall around the holidays. I don't know what to tell you except I hope you feel better.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
1. Yes
2. Upper left and into the sinus and eye. (I am due to be endentiated in January.)
3. Don''t know.
4. I'm using wet washrag as a compress.

Have you recently had your teeth pulled to prepare for this procedure? If so, you may have a spot of dry socket. Or a piece of food may have gotten lodged up in the space. OR...worse case scenario...when the tooth was extracted, a piece of the nerve was left behind and has festered and my have become infected. Only another glance at your exrays will give you a definate on this one.

Avoid heat as a means for pain reduction. Even though normal body swelling allows for heat to bring the swelling down and a pain reliever, BAD idea for toothaches. It can actually make it worse. IF you feel the need for a compress, use cold cool water. This will actually dull the ache. Lets hope you had a smart ER doc who also prescribed you anti-inflamatorys (sp).

In an all-else-fails- attempt. take a nice does of nyquil. Sounds funny, but the alchohol will help the pain and the sleep aid will help the...well, sleep.

Feel better soon, KG. May Santa bring you a homemade Christmas!

Say, I just woke up. This is fun stuff - if anyone is still around, this is a good time to play "Ask me anything!" because I'd be liable to tell you whatever you wanted to know.

Santa was just here. He asked if I'd been good and I told him, yes, I have but when I've been bad I've been even better.

He asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told him new teeth and a Magellin 760. He laughed and told me I'd get a lump of coal - I told him I already have one in the car that I picked up in West Virgina. It's been carved into the shape of Sonja!

(The lump of coal is true...the rest of this is all drug induced.)

I still hurt but you know what? With Vicodin, I don't really care!

cat said:
Sorry I can't help and I know it stinks to be sick in a hotel room (happened to me more than once!), but I hope you feel better soon! (So was there no diagnosis from the ER?)
Oh, yes, the doc warned me that I'd be pretty miserable for a couple of days, but he didn't tell me I'd be THAT miserable. He was actually a pretty good guy and I'm amazed at how cheaply I got out of there.

A tip of my hat to those of you who live in Terre Haute. You've got a lot of lousy drivers there but good medical facilities!

BTW - I haven't been home since Thanksgiving. I've got about a half a bazillion points built up for free hotel rooms...too bad I can't use them at conference!

TKG, can't help but sending vibes that you get to feeling better soon for Christmas!

Thanks! If I feel as good on Christmas as I do right this very minute, the family will lock me in a bedroom.

kg,
If it is an infection in your teeth/mouth rinsing with 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts h2o for atleast 30 seconds will help the pain with in hours. The bottle even give the directions. HTH, it is the pits to be ill during the holidays.

Hey KG - how ya doing this morning? I never heard back from my Dad (Mr Reliable, we call him) but when (if) I do, I'll let ya know what he says.

I'm still a hurtin' puppy this AM, but not like last night. The fever broke in the middle of the night, and while I'm not ready to run a marathon, I'm almost ready to head for home.No offense meant to Champaign-Urbana, but I wanna get outta here!

I am glad to hear the fever broke. Baby steps, KG...baby steps - no marathons today.

I'm just achy all over today, sort of like how you feel after the first day of conference. ;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm just achy all over today, sort of like how you feel after the first day of conference. ;)

LOL - good comparison!

Glad you're feeling better!
Just don't get hooked on that stuff and get all grumpy like House (on House, MD)

I'm plenty grumpy in the morning without it. ;)

Former Med. Prof here....actually, if you had a Respiratory problem, I would be the one to ask, but as far as your mouth...

just an FYI-- take ALL of the antibiotics even if you are feeling better and follow up with your own PhD when you get home. Don't want to scare you, but your infection could have been so bad that you could have been going septic...when the bacteria actually gets flowing thru your blood stream. Your mouth is a bad place to have an infection...lots of chance for bacteria to form! If you are feeling better, chances are that is not the case, though...so take your meds!

So glad that you are better, but PLEASE follow up with the doc when you get home....

Safe travels!

I hope this doesn't last too long for you KG! I know its hard to have a Merry Christmas under the circumstances but I wish one for you anyway! Take it easy and listen to all the mom's out here and make sure you call the doctor ASAP when you get home. Let us all know how it turns out too! I am curious to know what is wrong. (((hugs)))

Well, Ido know what the probelm is and an upcoming surgery will take care of it, once and for all.Janice, that must be why I felt like I was in a septic tank last night. ;)

Another medical professional here. Ditto to the advice to take ALL of the antibiotic. Also, be sure to call and get a refill if you are not 100% when the pills are gone. It could be back a few days later if you don't. They won't do the surgery if there's still any infection!

Take care and travel safe! Take lots of breaks. They would prefer you be late than hospitalized.

BethCooks4U said:
Take care and travel safe! Take lots of breaks. They would prefer you be late than hospitalized.
Not half as much as me!

TGK,

Merry Christmas and glad to hear you're feeling better. Safe travels!

((((HUGS))))

Feel better soon, KG. If you were up here by Chicago I would have swung by and dragged ma or one of her friends along with me (she's the nurse...I'm just "doctor mom"). I'm glad that your fever broke and that you're feeling a little better today. I hope you continue to improve so you can have a Merry Christmas.

KG...a new day has dawned and you are going to be your bright cheery self in no time (if not because you are feeling much better, then for the vicodin. That seems to make me bright and cheery on a psychotic level ;) )

Here is a little tip...to help relieve the pressure you feel, blow your nose. Even if it is not stuffy, the release of the sinus passages will continuously help keep the swelling down. And invest in a small tube of ambisol. You may feel like your drooling all over yourself (although, this may be a normal act for you???:confused: LOL) but it will numb the area and keep the dull ache to a minimum. And yes...to mimick everyone else...take ALL your antibiotics till the last one is done. And if you can, take more ;)

Take care good friend, have a safe and expidited journey home and may your family be forgiving, compassionate, patient and not so much a group of nutballers like mine!!! And at ANY GIVEN CHANCE...dont forget the whiskey!!!!:D

I dunno...do you think it's good advice to take all of my antibiotics? I'm not sure I'm getting that message.As for my family, well, I can wait. If I had a choice between staying here in a hotel room in Champaign and going to spend Christmas with the family, let's just say the Fairfield Inn is looking pretty tempting right now.Dr. Wayne Dyer says he's going to write a book someday, entitled, "Friends Are God's Way of Apoligizing for Your Relatives."

jentapp said:
((((HUGS))))

Feel better soon, KG. If you were up here by Chicago I would have swung by and dragged ma or one of her friends along with me (she's the nurse...I'm just "doctor mom"). I'm glad that your fever broke and that you're feeling a little better today. I hope you continue to improve so you can have a Merry Christmas.
Jennifer, I was trying to make it to Merrillville, about as close as you can get to the Chicago MetroMess without being in it...but I just couldn't do it. Thanks for the offer, though, and I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to get sick. ;)

I am so glad to hear you are still around. I was worried sick about you all night last night, like you were one of my kids, ha ha.

I'm so sorry I didn't read this yesterday. My cousin works as a dental hygenist in Champaign and I could have made a phone call to her. Unfortunately, by the time you had posted she would have been out of the office, but she may have been able to help you out.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Cindy Landon

Just to let you all know...I am home, safe and sound.It's about 7:30 on Christmas Eve, and it was an effort but I'm here. So now, I'm going to retire into a Christmas Fantsyland sponsored by Vicodin. I don't mind if the man in the red suit comes to visit me again tonight, as long as it's not the fire department in turnout gear.Merry Christmas to you all, and thank you for your kind wishes!

KG sorry I didn't read your post till you made it home. Just keep in mind next time you are in Champaign-Urbana and need help let me know. I can email you my phone number. We do have great convenient care here. Glad you made it home.

Ann

I'm so happy you made it home TKG, Merry Christmas! I hope you are feeling better and back to your sassy self real soon!

aried said:
KG sorry I didn't read your post till you made it home. Just keep in mind next time you are in Champaign-Urbana and need help let me know. I can email you my phone number. We do have great convenient care here. Glad you made it home.

Ann
Hopefully I won't need the help next time I'm there but thanks for the offer!

You'll have to keep us posted on what your actual diagnosis is.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
So now, I'm going to retire into a Christmas Fantsyland sponsored by Vicodin.

Tell Frosty, Rudolph and Herbie (the wanna-be dental elf, who, by the way, maybe able to lend you a hand in your perdicament) hello from the cute cheffer out on the Oregon Coast. And who knows, maybe the Easter Bunny'll make a surprise appearance!;)

I just read this post for the first time. All of my doctors are in Terre Haute, IN. I am glad that you got well enough to make it home!! I know how it feels to be very sick in a strange place... but at least I had someone with me. Merry Christmas!
And yes, the drivers in Terre Haute are terrible! They are always running red lights

Brazil, huh? Not only do I know where it is, I've been there. Terre Haute is your western subburb. And you're right about being sick in a strange place - Terre Haute is certainly a strange place.I don't blame them for running the reds, by the end of my visit, I was too. Whatever sadist designed the timing sequence of the traffic lights must've gotten his training from the guy who times the lights in Evansville, a.k.a. "Stop Light City." Terre Haute's timing sequences are just awful - you cannot go more than 3 blocks before the *&^%$#! light turns red.

Last edited:
Feel better KG!

I feel with my fingers, usually.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Back