• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Master the Art of Baking with Julia Child: Gayle's Bakery & Rosticceria

In summary, Joe Ortiz from Gayle's Bakery in Capitola, California, is demonstrating how to make a San Francisco sourdough bread starter and next he's going to make sourdough braids. He makes it look so easy that my friend and I are thinking of trying it. Meryl Streep is perfect for the role of Julia Child, and the skit in the movie is actually in the movie.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
One of my local PBS stations is doing a Julia Child marathon today. Right now, they're in the middle of the series that was called Baking with Julia.

Man oh man, do I wish my stuff came out like that!

In the episode that's on right now, she has a guest from California, Joe Ortiz.
He's the co-owner of Gayle's Bakery & Rosticceria in Capitola, California. His breads have received critical acclaim and notoriety from the International Bread Competition, as well as from culinary publications like Cook's Illustrated, Food & Wine, and Bon Appètit. Joe bakes Decorative Sourdough Loaves.

(Stolen from the PBS website.)

Joe's demonstrating how to make a San Francisco sourdough bread starter, and next he's going to make sourdough braids.

He makes it look sooooo easy. :cry:

I just got a King Arthur Flour catalog today, and everything in there looks so good - and they make it sound easy, too. My yeast baking never comes out right, but I might give it another try soon, since I made a yummy English Muffin Loaf about a month ago.

You make me feel better. The last time I tried a yeast bread recipe, it came out more like pound cake. Instead of a loaf, it was a brick. More like a cinder block.Sigh.Now she has the guy who wrote the cookbook Death by Chocolate. You can imagine what kind of decadence they're making.

um... yum? (in reference to your bread)I read a review of J&J, and the reviewer said that Meryl Streep is outstanding as Childs, but that Amy Adams was saccharine and nearly unwatchable.

I used to love watching Julia =)

When I went to Washingon DC several years ago I got to see Julia's real kitchen at the Smithsonia. :)

I laughed when I saw that she had directions taped by the garbage disposal -- guess even the best needs 'cheat sheets' :rolleyes:

I'm on my way out the door to see the Julie/Julia movie. I think Meryl Streep is perfect for the role of Julia.

They probably couldn't get Dan Akroyd.
snl-the-best-of-dan-ackroyd-20051019003350665-000.jpg

He was frighteningly dead-on with that impression.

Talking like Julia Child is a favorite exercise of vocal instructors and choral conductors everywhere, because it makes one lift the soft palate and project "from the forehead" (people who have had voice training will understand that, but it's hard to explain).

I got thrown out of voice training. I couldn't make my voice sit, stay or heel.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
They probably couldn't get Dan Akroyd.

The SNL skit is actually in the movie. :)

My friend and I really enjoyed "Julie/Julia" :love:. Meryl Streep is amazing as Julia Child.

1. What is the Joooolia Child Marathon?

The Joooolia Child Marathon is a virtual cooking event organized by Pampered Chef to celebrate the life and legacy of legendary chef Julia Child.

2. When is the Joooolia Child Marathon?

The Joooolia Child Marathon will take place on August 15th, which is Julia Child's birthday.

3. How can I participate in the Joooolia Child Marathon?

To participate in the Joooolia Child Marathon, you can register on our website and join us for a live cooking demonstration or watch the recorded session at your convenience.

4. Is there a cost to participate in the Joooolia Child Marathon?

No, there is no cost to participate in the Joooolia Child Marathon. It is a free event for all Pampered Chef customers and consultants.

5. Do I need any special equipment or ingredients to participate in the Joooolia Child Marathon?

No, you do not need any special equipment or ingredients to participate in the Joooolia Child Marathon. However, we will be sharing recipes and tips for making the most of your Pampered Chef products during the event.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back