1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: JOOOOlia Child Marathon

1. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

One of my local PBS stations is doing a Julia Child marathon today. Right now, they're in the middle of the series that was called Baking with Julia.

Man oh man, do I wish my stuff came out like that!

In the episode that's on right now, she has a guest from California, Joe Ortiz.
    He's the co-owner of Gayle's Bakery & Rosticceria in Capitola, California. His breads have received critical acclaim and notoriety from the International Bread Competition, as well as from culinary publications like Cook's Illustrated, Food & Wine, and Bon App├Ętit. Joe bakes Decorative Sourdough Loaves.

(Stolen from the PBS website.)

Joe's demonstrating how to make a San Francisco sourdough bread starter, and next he's going to make sourdough braids.

He makes it look sooooo easy. :cry:

2. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

I just got a King Arthur Flour catalog today, and everything in there looks so good - and they make it sound easy, too. My yeast baking never comes out right, but I might give it another try soon, since I made a yummy English Muffin Loaf about a month ago.

Aug 8, 2009
  3. The_Kitchen_Guy

You make me feel better. The last time I tried a yeast bread recipe, it came out more like pound cake. Instead of a loaf, it was a brick. More like a cinder block.

Sigh.

Now she has the guy who wrote the cookbook Death by Chocolate. You can imagine what kind of decadence they're making.

4. chefann

um... yum? (in reference to your bread)

I read a review of J&J, and the reviewer said that Meryl Streep is outstanding as Childs, but that Amy Adams was saccharine and nearly unwatchable.

Aug 8, 2009
  5. ChefLoriG

ChefLoriG Advanced Member Gold Member

I used to love watching Julia =)

Aug 8, 2009
  6. Gloria&Emily

Gloria&Emily Novice Member Gold Member

When I went to Washingon DC several years ago I got to see Julia's real kitchen at the Smithsonia. :)

I laughed when I saw that she had directions taped by the garbage disposal -- guess even the best needs 'cheat sheets' :rolleyes:

Aug 8, 2009
  7. legacypc46

legacypc46 Senior Member Gold Member

I'm on my way out the door to see the Julie/Julia movie. I think Meryl Streep is perfect for the role of Julia.

Aug 9, 2009
  8. The_Kitchen_Guy

They probably couldn't get Dan Akroyd.

[​IMG]

9. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

He was frighteningly dead-on with that impression.

Aug 9, 2009
  10. chefann

Talking like Julia Child is a favorite exercise of vocal instructors and choral conductors everywhere, because it makes one lift the soft palate and project "from the forehead" (people who have had voice training will understand that, but it's hard to explain).

Aug 9, 2009
  11. The_Kitchen_Guy

I got thrown out of voice training. I couldn't make my voice sit, stay or heel.

12. legacypc46

legacypc46 Senior Member Gold Member

The SNL skit is actually in the movie. :)

My friend and I really enjoyed "Julie/Julia" :love:. Meryl Streep is amazing as Julia Child.

Aug 9, 2009
Have something to add?