• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is it Raining Cats and Dogs in the Middle of Summer?

In summary, there is a severe thunderstorm warning in effect for parts of Michigan, with the potential for tornadoes. It is raining cats and dogs, and some power outages have been reported. The weather seems to be calming down, but it is still windy.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Or at least it sounds like it!

I don't remember EVER having thunder/lightening storms that last this long! It has been raining for at least 2 hours, with constant thunder and lightening, and the radar is showing that the storm is still stretching all the way across Lake Michigan.

Of course, there is nothing on TV except weather reports...but, because of the hot humid weather we've had, tornadoes are a real possibility - so we need to be watching the weather.

Lots of power outages - but we never seem to lose power, thankfully.

It was so cute - we were sitting on our new front porch :thumbup: :D watching the storm, and my little guy (who is 4 tomorrow!) started praying, and asking Jesus to send the tornadoes away....awwwww - I love his little heart of faith!

Yeah, such yucky weather today. I'm watching the news right now and a few tornadoes touched down. Yikes!

Last edited:
Yeah, lots of rain west of the pond too. We had to just send my brother to my mom's house to check it because we got a call from the neighbor that her back yard is flooded.Up here we could use a little more rain...

ChefBeckyD said:
It was so cute - we were sitting on our new front porch :thumbup: :D watching the storm, and my little guy (who is 4 tomorrow!) started praying, and asking Jesus to send the tornadoes away....awwwww - I love his little heart of faith!

Aww..how sweet! Tell him happy birthday!!!:D

I woke up at 2:30am, and it was STILL raining, with thunder & lightening...but now, at 6:30, everything seems calm. Soaked, but calm.

Janet - I hope your mom's house is okay!

Glad everything is calm. How did you garden survive?

pamperedlinda said:
Glad everything is calm. How did you garden survive?

WOW! My garden has exploded! All of the rain and warm weather has been so good for it. You know when you get to that day where you think seedlings should be popping up, and you aren't seeing them, and you start worrying that the birds or other critters somehow ate all of your seeds? (or is that just me?)

Well, that day was Monday for me. I was convinced that my garden was a total loss....but this morning - everything looks beautiful! I love looking at all of those rows of veggies!
There is a chance of more thunderstorms today, but I am hoping for a reprieve!
Last night at 10pm, we had had almost 3 inches of rain.....

That system must have played itself out as it crossed the state. There were reports that we'd get it, but nothing yet. We had a little bit of rain and a little thunder right before bed last night, but nothing like what you described.

It probably passed north of you. The first major storm cells hit here late in the afternoon, then it cleared up, than the second cell came over about two hours before Becky got it.I know it rained cats & dogs because when I went outside this morning, I stepped in a poodle.

KG - that joke STILL makes me chuckle!Becky - my brother drove all the way down from Menomonee Falls to check on her house but didn't have the proper key. He was able to reconnect the pool house because that also came off and was adding to the water. He is going down again today after church to check the inside.Hopefully my mom has most stuff in rubbermaid totes and/or up. She is just worried about her washer/dryer/freezer. Usually the water comes in and heads straight to a drain so I hope it is o.k. but most of the yards/block are flooded according to the neighbor that called us.We'll see later!Off to get ready for church!

Here it comes again!

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings - and once again ----raining cats and dogs!

Those are no longer poodles out there - they are St. Bernards!

My son's basement flooded last night. They had 6 inches at the highest point. And now it's storming again. ...he lives in Milwaukee.

ChefBeckyD said:
There is a chance of more thunderstorms today, but I am hoping for a reprieve!
Last night at 10pm, we had had almost 3 inches of rain.....

No reprieve--it's coming your way. It is storming bad here right now and is supposed to storm on and off all week long! Yippee!! :)

DebbieJ said:
No reprieve--it's coming your way. It is storming bad here right now and is supposed to storm on and off all week long! Yippee!! :)

It's storming bad here too! It's so dark, it looks like it's night time here!

We're still sunny, but it's pretty windy. So there's something blowing into town.

This time, it isn't me so you won't have to make dinner.

Wow - they've shut down US 31 in Holland because the road has washed out!

I just cut my lawn! :)It was getting tall and I was out of gas. I got some after church and quick cut it before the storm front hits up here...

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow - they've shut down US 31 in Holland because the road has washed out!

WOW. That is crazy!

Well, keep the barricades up. There's more on the way.No kidding - there's another squall line about to cross my lot line and it's headed east. Once again, however long it's going to take to cross Lake Michigan - it'll be there. I'm not a meteorologist, nor do I play one on TV, but I figure a couple and a half hours and you're going to get wet again.

Yeah, Weathertap is showing some nasty storms coming across south of us and into MI again. Hold on to your hats and whatever else isn't bolted down.

The leading edge of this one is already halfway across the lake, between Manitowoc and Ludington. I don't think I'd want to be on the SS Badger tonight.

The storm is now making landfall in Ludington. A small cell is hitting Muskegon right now but it is not a part of the main front, which stretches along a line from Ludington, MI to - are you ready for this - Kansas City, MO.Illinois, you're next.

Yeah, glad for once I'm up north!

Well, hang on to your hats and auxiallary pumps, Michigan.Severe thunderstorms are passing through Milwaukee and a tornado warning has been issued for southern Milwaukee County, a tornado watch for most of southeastern Wisconsin.Keep baling, Jean, it's headed you way.

There is still standing water from the last storm!:eek:

Here, too, and more on the way.So, back here in Wisconsin, where there have been flooded basements all over, at least one town in Western Wisconsin is nearly totally inundated with water as the Kickapoo River is completely over its banks, most rivers in southern Wisconsin are swollen to the point that I-94 was closed near Watertown because the Crayfish River was within inches of the bridge deck, a dam in Muwanago is near failure and is not only being watched closely but caused closing a state highway, other dams are at risk and threatened, and, worst of all, the dam that forms Lake Delton, near Wisconsin Dells, failed and the lake has been completely drained. It looks like a giant bathtub where someone pulled the plug. The loss of Lake Delton has a major, major impact on tourism in the Wisconsin Dells area.So, on Tuesday, with all this disaster and damage, and all these emergency needs, where was the leader of our emergency government? Our fearless leader? Our governor?Playing golf, in Madison, at his campaign fundraising golf outing.http://www.belling.com/images/Before-After3.jpg

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Here, too, and more on the way.

So, back here in Wisconsin, where there have been flooded basements all over, at least one town in Western Wisconsin is nearly totally inundated with water as the Kickapoo River is completely over its banks, most rivers in southern Wisconsin are swollen to the point that I-94 was closed near Watertown because the Crayfish River was within inches of the bridge deck, a dam in Muwanago is near failure and is not only being watched closely but caused closing a state highway, other dams are at risk and threatened, and, worst of all, the dam that forms Lake Delton, near Wisconsin Dells, failed and the lake has been completely drained. It looks like a giant bathtub where someone pulled the plug. The loss of Lake Delton has a major, major impact on tourism in the Wisconsin Dells area.

So, on Tuesday, with all this disaster and damage, and all these emergency needs, where was the leader of our emergency government? Our fearless leader? Our governor?

Playing golf, in Madison, at his campaign fundraising golf outing.

http://www.belling.com/images/Before-After3.jpg

Awww, come on KG, give the man a break....politicians do have to have priorities, you know!:rolleyes: ;)

Yeah, and it's obvious that the importance of politics and raising money far outweighs the needs of the citizens of the state.Only we're not supposed to notice that.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yeah, and it's obvious that the importance of politics and raising money far outweighs the needs of the citizens of the state.

Only we're not supposed to notice that.

Do we have the same governor?:confused:

No, but they're out of the same mold.

I was thinking that, too, Becky. I have friends who always extol the virtues of Jenny (as they call her - they've met her at a couple of private events), and I always have to bite my tongue. I'm so glad that she's ineligible to run for President, although there is a contingent who want the constitution changed so she could. :rolleyes: :yuck:

chefann said:
I was thinking that, too, Becky. I have friends who always extol the virtues of Jenny (as they call her - they've met her at a couple of private events), and I always have to bite my tongue. I'm so glad that she's ineligible to run for President, although there is a contingent who want the constitution changed so she could. :rolleyes: :yuck:
We call her Jenny too...it's all in the facial expression and voice inflection!;) :grumpy: I didn't know there was anyone left who would extol her virtues.....ummmm, what virtues would those be again?If they changed to constitution, maybe she and Arnold could run on the same ticket!

Westbound I-94 is closed at the Rock River because the river is threatening the bridge again.No word on the location of Diamond Jim.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
No, but they're out of the same mold.

I'd agree...Grr...NOT my favorite governor.

I have pictures of Lake Delton at home from the other day. It is a mess.

But never fear KG, while playing golf (or around that time) our fearless governor announced that the state would repair the lake.

Did he call that in from the 7th hole?Mark my words: There is no way Lake Delton will be refilled by year end. I'm sure the Corps of Engineers and DNR will have lots to say about it, but then, between the do-gooders, hand-wringers, tourism haters and others who haven't come out from under the rocks yet, the opposition to refilling the lake will start soon.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Did he call that in from the 7th hole?

Mark my words: There is no way Lake Delton will be refilled by year end.

I'm sure the Corps of Engineers and DNR will have lots to say about it, but then, between the do-gooders, hand-wringers, tourism haters and others who haven't come out from under the rocks yet, the opposition to refilling the lake will start soon.

I don't doubt that one bit - it will be chaos!

They are already talking about "making good" of the situation and walking the Lake bed to clean up the trash.

(Not that I'm opposed to cleaning up trash and HATE it when people through stuff in the woods, lakes or whatever but I know it will spark the "next opposition").

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Did he call that in from the 7th hole?

Mark my words: There is no way Lake Delton will be refilled by year end.

I'm sure the Corps of Engineers and DNR will have lots to say about it, but then, between the do-gooders, hand-wringers, tourism haters and others who haven't come out from under the rocks yet, the opposition to refilling the lake will start soon.

Probably after he SUNK the putt. :p

I doubt if any missing Chicago mobsters will be found.

I looks really weird outside. The sun is brightly shining from the East, as it just rose. But there are VERY heavy clouds blowing in from the west. So when I look out the window, I see thick, black clouds and bright sun on the grass at the same time.

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

1. Why is it raining cats and dogs in the middle of summer?

It may seem unusual to have heavy rainfall during the summer months, but it is not uncommon for thunderstorms to occur in the summer due to the warm and humid weather.

2. Why is the thunder and lightning lasting so long?

Thunderstorms can last for several hours, especially if they are part of a larger system. The duration of a thunderstorm depends on various factors such as atmospheric conditions and the intensity of the storm.

3. Why is the radar showing a large storm across Lake Michigan?

The radar is showing a large storm because it is tracking the movement and intensity of the storm. As the storm moves across Lake Michigan, the radar will continue to show its path and severity.

4. Why is there nothing on TV except weather reports?

In severe weather situations, it is important to stay informed and aware of any potential dangers. That is why during storms, TV stations will often prioritize weather reports to keep the public informed and safe.

5. Why are there power outages during storms?

Thunderstorms can cause power outages due to strong winds, lightning strikes, and heavy rainfall. These can damage power lines and equipment, resulting in loss of electricity in affected areas.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Back