• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Collapsible Strainer Perfect for Washing Single Servings of Fresh Fruit?

In summary, there is a discussion about the usefulness of a cutting board with measuring cups and a collapsible strainer. Some people find it convenient for small spaces or for RV/camping, while others don't see the need for it. Some also mention concerns about the durability of the measuring cup holders on the cutting board. Overall, the general opinion is that the cutting board itself is a useful and versatile tool.
BettieC
Gold Member
For those without the cutting board, that this was made for, do you find you are using it??

I don't have the board, and don't think I am going to get it.

personally I have the board, and I don't use the measuring cups at all. I don't think I would use the strainer esp since I have a regular collander to strain items and I think the collapsable one is too small. JMHO.

My 4 yr old has claimed mine, as part of his space-ship fantasy play. I let him, because I really don't see myself ever using it. I don't have the cutting board with the measuring cups, and have no interest in the cutting board, or the little tiny strainer.

I'd love collapsible strainers in more normal sizes though!

I have the cutting board and the strainer and have yet to use it together. I have one of the strainers that stretch all the way across your sink and hang there. With 3 kids I need a nice big one. When I move back to our last duty station and start using the RV again I will be using both I am sure. The sink is smaller and the collapseable stuff is awesome for RV's or camping.

ChefBeckyD said:
My 4 yr old has claimed mine, as part of his space-ship fantasy play. I let him, because I really don't see myself ever using it. I don't have the cutting board with the measuring cups, and have no interest in the cutting board, or the little tiny strainer.

I'd love collapsible strainers in more normal sizes though!
I agree!!!

I have the board and I really like it. I took it to my show last night because I think it a multi-function tool that appeals to a lot of people. If you don't have a lot of space it is nice to own and it lays flat. I haven't used the strainer with it yet, but I plan on rinsing diced red onions...I think I read that will make them less strong.

I'm not sure what other purposes there are for the strainer. The measuring cups are nice to have when cooking...not baking.

My sister owns the cutting boards, so I might give her the strainer when she hosts another show for me sometime. ;)small hijack: I have been debating getting the cutting boards. Not sure if I want them. I do like cutting boards and would like to replace some of my non PC ones. I just don't know if I would rather just have more of the LGCB or the 9x13 one. Are using the measuring cups a pain or handy?

babywings76 said:
My sister owns the cutting boards, so I might give her the strainer when she hosts another show for me sometime. ;)

small hijack: I have been debating getting the cutting boards. Not sure if I want them. I do like cutting boards and would like to replace some of my non PC ones. I just don't know if I would rather just have more of the LGCB or the 9x13 one. Are using the measuring cups a pain or handy?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE our cutting boards. I have atleast 2 of each. I never use my non-PC ones anymore.

Though I only have one of the one with Measuring Cups and I hardly ever use it. I think I forget that I have it. Also, as soon as I use a cutting board, I throw it in the dishwasher (which is why I need so many). I hesitate to throw the one with measuring cups in the dishwasher because of the gray things. I think the gray things that hold the cups in aren't replaceable and you have to replace the whole cutting board. Also it is thicker than the others, and it is harder for me to place as easily in the dishwasher. I really should be taking it to shows, though.

kam said:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE our cutting boards. I have atleast 2 of each. I never use my non-PC ones anymore.

Though I only have one of the one with Measuring Cups and I hardly ever use it. I think I forget that I have it. Also, as soon as I use a cutting board, I throw it in the dishwasher (which is why I need so many). I hesitate to throw the one with measuring cups in the dishwasher because of the gray things. I think the gray things that hold the cups in aren't replaceable and you have to replace the whole cutting board. Also it is thicker than the others, and it is harder for me to place as easily in the dishwasher. I really should be taking it to shows, though.

I do have one Large Grooved cutting board and one 9x13 and I do love them. That's why I'm debating just buying more of them, or if I should get the one with the measuring cups.

So it's not a good idea to put them in the dishwasher? Hmm, maybe I won't get it then. I did notice that it is thicker too, so I'm not sure if I'll like that. I'll have to think about it some more. Thanks! :)

I am using my collapsible strainer in place of the can-strainer that I don't own. I am using it to strain and rinse a can of beans for chili, etc. and when I open a can of black olives -- that type of thing.

I have the cutting board with measuring cups -- in fact it's first PC item I ever purchased. I tend to chop too much celery, onions, etc. for recipes. Since I can fill the measuring cups as I chop, no more over-chopping.

I showed the strainer to my mother who also has the cutting board with cups and she informed me she'd like one for Mother's Day (along with the garlic slicer).

I tend not to use the dishwasher for it. My husband does most of the dishes and prefers to wash it and the cups by hand, so fine with me :)

babywings76 said:
I do have one Large Grooved cutting board and one 9x13 and I do love them. That's why I'm debating just buying more of them, or if I should get the one with the measuring cups.

So it's not a good idea to put them in the dishwasher? Hmm, maybe I won't get it then. I did notice that it is thicker too, so I'm not sure if I'll like that. I'll have to think about it some more. Thanks! :)

It is dishwasher safe, I just worry about losing the little gray fobs that hold the measuring cups in place. Plus, since it is "hollow" underneath, I think I sometimes have water collect there and have to "dry" it before removing it from the dw. Just too much hassle for me. :)

I will be using the strainer part when I slice apples and then squeeze lemon over them, the strainer will allow the lemon to drain off -- got this from one of my awesome teammembers

dannyzmom said:
I will be using the strainer part when I slice apples and then squeeze lemon over them, the strainer will allow the lemon to drain off -- got this from one of my awesome teammembers

That's a great tip! :)

dannyzmom said:

WOW! What a Great idea....Thanks for sharing!! :D

There's another great idea for the strainer on the Spring product CD: use it to drain the extra liquid from fresh-diced tomatoes, so they don't get your salad soggy.

I can see using mine daily when strawberry season gets here. It's just the right size for rinsing cleaned berries.

babywings76 said:
My sister owns the cutting boards, so I might give her the strainer when she hosts another show for me sometime. ;)

small hijack: I have been debating getting the cutting boards. Not sure if I want them. I do like cutting boards and would like to replace some of my non PC ones. I just don't know if I would rather just have more of the LGCB or the 9x13 one. Are using the measuring cups a pain or handy?

LGCB wins HANDS DOWN! I have two and am considering buying a third since it's on supply right now.

I have the cutting board with cups but I don't use it that often. I could see myself using the strainer for small things. I was hoping PC would come out with a larger one! I have two that I use in my kitchen that are not PC's ones.

raebates said:
I can see using mine daily when strawberry season gets here. It's just the right size for rinsing cleaned berries.

I thought the same thing!! We eat fresh fruit everyday in the summer, and since you aren't supposed to wash until you eat it, this will be perfect to wash single servings!!

Related to Is the Collapsible Strainer Perfect for Washing Single Servings of Fresh Fruit?

1. How do I properly clean the collapsible strainer?

To clean the collapsible strainer, simply rinse it with hot, soapy water and let it air dry. You can also place it in the top rack of your dishwasher for easy cleaning. Avoid using abrasive sponges or cleaners, as they can damage the silicone material.

2. Can the collapsible strainer be used for hot foods?

Yes, the collapsible strainer is heat-resistant and can be used for draining hot foods such as pasta or boiling vegetables. However, be sure to use oven mitts or tongs when handling the strainer, as the handles may become hot.

3. Is the collapsible strainer BPA-free?

Yes, the collapsible strainer is made of BPA-free, food-grade silicone material, which is safe for food contact and does not contain any harmful chemicals.

4. Can the collapsible strainer fit over different sized pots and bowls?

Yes, the collapsible strainer is designed to fit over most standard sized pots, pans, and bowls. The adjustable arms allow you to easily expand or contract the strainer to fit your specific needs.

5. How do I store the collapsible strainer when not in use?

The collapsible strainer is designed to save space in your kitchen, so it can easily be folded and stored in a drawer or cabinet. You can also use the built-in hooks to hang it on a kitchen hook or utensil rack.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • BethCooks4U
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • donnathepamperedchef