• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Train Your New Recruit (Sarcasm Intended!)

not mine!)
esavvymom
Staff member
How NOT to train your new recruit (sarcasm intended!)Ok. Had a show on Thursday night....last count that I remember, there were 12-13 people there, with a few more arriving at some point...some of it's a bit fuzzy in my memory now. Before the show, I knew my host wanted to sign (wooohooo- My first!!), and so while I was setting up, we talked and answered some of her questions. She used to sell Tupperware YEARS ago and apparently was a manager for awhile- so quite good. She just retired from teaching. So I had the food mostly prepped and ready to go. (Calif Club Pizza and Choc.Lava Cake in microwave since she was having more than 12 people (something I do).) Everyone was real quiet as we waited for a few to come in (I've not figured out my show-style yet,,,so wasn't sure what to do). So I went ahead and passed out the catalogs- like candy to children! That got things moving.

I started the show 5 minutes after teh hour. Things were going pretty well, got the pizza in the oven, chopped the tomatoes with the Salad Chopper. Then went to show the UM. Most had never seen this version before, so I took some time to point out the safety features, and how it works. I was holding it in my hands- not on the table...since a few couldn't see the table real way (based on the layout of the place...not important). So I did a DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB thing....I told them you can't cut yourself with this one as easily as the old one because the blade is flat,,,,then I proceed to show them how the blade pops up when the food slider passes over the blade- I had the plunger out but my FINGER was in the hole...my brain didn't realize until it was too late. Sparing you the details....I spent the next 4 hrs at the ER!!!

Before I walked out the door (one guest was calling information to get the hours for the nearest Urgent Care)....I gave the host the recipe card and a 15 second run down on what was left on the pizza (forgot to tell her abou tthe cake)....and said "Here you go! Have fun with your first show!" All the guests were a buzz and said "We'll help and we'll get this done...don't worry!" And they did! It was probably a very interactive show then....they all helped her out and apparently made the pizza and even figured out what to do with the cake!! She said it turned out great. She's STILL signing, has 5 potential bookings to start her business, and her show is currently at $566!!!!

What did they need me for?! :D

I tried to get her to take this show as her first as a consultant but she won't let me. And after paying my ER bill and meds, plus what I spent on food, plus I will buy my host/recruit a PC supply gift certifcate or something as a thank-you, then I'll break even on the show.

Boy- I learn lessons the hard way! but my soon-to-be director/Team Leader was cracking up when I told her. Best show of mine yet and I wasn't even there to enjoy it! :)

Last edited:
I am sooooo sorry you cut yourself!!! but, I am ROFL! I will have to remember that, 'cause I 'demo' that you can't cut yourself all of the time! Glad it turned out ok though! :thumbup:

LOL!!! If you are going to NC...why not send her a surprise box as a surprise! How exciting to get a free gift that she will be able to use for her business!

At least she sees how easy it is!

Sorry about the ouchie - but this CRACKED ME UP!!!!

That's ok...I was cracking jokes at the ER. It's my middle finger too-- so when doc was patching me up, I apologized for 'giving you the finger'. :D Then he got even and made my owie hurt! Up until then, I hadn't felt it at all...except that my fingers were frozen from being on ice for 4 hrs and held above my heart (cramps in my hand/elbow). The last nurse who came in to discharge me says as she walks in "We;ve been talking about YOU!" *hehe* Then as we chatted, she said, "do you have any questions?". I said- "Do you want to book a show? *hehe*"She said she can't (her sister is a consultant too...so I'm sure she heard the story by now!)I;ve been laughing about it all weekend. That's a great idea about the surprise box though!

ROFL, how is your hand/fingers?

Kitchen Diva said:
ROFL, how is your hand/fingers?
very heavily bandaged...and a little sore..but all things considered, not bad.
Kind of tricky to write. I told the first lady who had me signing my name like 3-4 times- with my left hand which was still shaking, that "You know...this will never hold up in court!" You couldn't read it...my 5 yr old can write neater!My 8 yr old asked while we were waiting at the ER... "Mom, do you still love your job??" *lol*
My MIL wants to get me a fancy kitchen glove with extra bling that I can wear for awhile (it won't be pretty for awhile). I like the idea!**Just noticed that my Host has officially signed on!! Wahoo!! Talk about "making lemonade!"

Last edited:
you sure know how to make lemonade out of lemons dont you! i am so sorry that you got hurt, though.

sometimes i think the hosts and guests like us more when we show that we are human.

WOW!!! I am so sorry you had to get hurt, but am super happy that the guests and your new recruit rolled with the punches! Talk about a story to recount for the years!:D

Since you were typing, I assumed you were fine, and had to crack up....that is something that would totally happen to me! I find most people love PC parties where we can laugh at ourselves, but boy you take the award! At least, your new recruit won't be so nervous at her 1st show....she's seen that you and she can handle a "tough" situation and still succeed!

Congrats on your new recruit....you can now say you earned your new recruit through blood, sweat and tears! Glad that it still was a successful party, but am sorry that you had to suffer.

Thanks for sharing!

Wow!! So glad you are okay...I am laughing as I am holding my fingers trying not to feel your pain. I am so sorry this happened and I am so sorry that I am laughing...but you did make this into a GREAT situation!!

Congrats on your recruit!!

too funny, this would not have been funny if she didn't sign right!! Just goes to show you will do anything to recruit!! :)

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
WOW!!! I am so sorry you had to get hurt, but am super happy that the guests and your new recruit rolled with the punches! Talk about a story to recount for the years!:D

Since you were typing, I assumed you were fine, and had to crack up....that is something that would totally happen to me! I find most people love PC parties where we can laugh at ourselves, but boy you take the award! At least, your new recruit won't be so nervous at her 1st show....she's seen that you and she can handle a "tough" situation and still succeed!

Congrats on your new recruit....you can now say you earned your new recruit through blood, sweat and tears! Glad that it still was a successful party, but am sorry that you had to suffer.

Thanks for sharing!

*lol* Amen....now I've got the tears....this thing hurts more now today (overuse i hope??) than when i first did it! tryoing to use just my left hand but its going to be tuff....i have so much to do this week!! :cry:

sooo sorry. fingers have so many nerves, I am sure it is terribly painful. Let's face it, a paper cut can bring some to tears, I am this is ten fold...

Sorry you got hurt. I had a $600 show w/o me there, after showing the Ultimate slice N Grate and slicing my thumb pretty bad. It also required a trip to the ER. That happened back in the year 2000. Glad they made this one safer??? I guess I'll not run my finger along it anymore.

Hey, by the way, did you sell any UM at that show?

mscharf said:
too funny, this would not have been funny if she didn't sign right!! Just goes to show you will do anything to recruit!! :)

Now you can say you bleed for your recruits.

:rolleyes: Sorry, I couldn't resist.:D

smspamperedchef said:
Sorry you got hurt. I had a $600 show w/o me there, after showing the Ultimate slice N Grate and slicing my thumb pretty bad. It also required a trip to the ER. That happened back in the year 2000. Glad they made this one safer??? I guess I'll not run my finger along it anymore.

Hey, by the way, did you sell any UM at that show?

It wasn't running my finger over the blade when it was flat that got me. I slid the food holder across the blade (which RAISES the blade) but didn't have the plunger in the holder...instead, the way I was holding it had my finger inside where teh food would have been. So it was completely MY FAULT....Thought my finger was a cucumber!

Crystal Patton said:
Now you can say you bleed for your recruits.

:rolleyes: Sorry, I couldn't resist.:D

It's ok. Funny thing was...yesterday when I was talking to my new recruit (that still cracks me up :D), she asked if I had any shows before I leave for NC that should could come watch. I laughed and said "You want to watch me AGAIN?!" She just laughed. I promised I wouldn't touch the UM. I think my next demo will be the Mexican Chicken Lasagna. :)

1. How do I train my new recruit without actually teaching them anything?

Well, first of all, make sure to never explain the reasoning behind any tasks or processes. Just tell them what to do and expect them to magically understand. Also, avoid providing any resources or materials that could help them learn on their own.

2. Is it necessary to set clear expectations for my new recruit?

No way! Just let them figure things out on their own. It's much more fun to watch them struggle and make mistakes. Plus, it's a great way to weed out the weak ones.

3. How can I make sure my new recruit feels overwhelmed and stressed from day one?

Constantly change their tasks and priorities without warning. Also, pile on as much work as possible and don't give them any breaks. And don't forget to micromanage every little detail of their work.

4. Should I be patient and understanding with my new recruit?

Absolutely not! They should already know everything and be able to perform perfectly from the get-go. Don't waste your time explaining things or offering guidance. It's their responsibility to know everything already.

5. What do I do if my new recruit doesn't meet my unrealistic expectations?

Publicly shame and belittle them, of course! Make sure to let them know how disappointed and displeased you are with their performance. And if that doesn't work, just fire them and start the cycle all over again with a new recruit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• starksc
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • mrshamel3808
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
RMDave
  • cochef