• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Clean High Traffic "Dark" Path in My Carpet

People will walk in and think its been replaced & comment on how soft it is. It actually is probably the only thing in the whole house we haven't changed. funny how even though we designed it and had it custom built we have "tweaked" it thru the years.Put on your Nike's and "Just Do It"This won't help you now but when we built our first house 20 years ago we had the yucky builder grade carpet. We lived with it as long as we could & 3 years later bought new carpet & upgraded to what we hoped would last with kids. The salesman told us to never shampoo (even professionally) your carpets. His reasoning was it will always have residue which
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Hey all!

We have a light tan freize (sp?) like carpet (cross between plush and freize...hard to describe) that has multi colors flecked throughout. It hides little imperfection stains...but has a darker area where we walk all of the time. I used my carpet cleaner for the hallway and the living room. The area where we walk is still DARKER. I even went back over it NUMEROUS times, and used the water surge so it would get doused with the carpet cleaning water solution...and went very slow so the scrubbing heads would have plenty of time to "scrub" before sucking the water back out.

Any ideas on what I can do here? I had even sprayed on a stain remover over the pathway, and waited a few minutes before using my carpet cleaner.

Thanks if you know of anything in particular that works well to get out high traffic path dirt!

I have that same problem. One of these days I am going to higher a carpet cleaner to come in and do it.

What about white vinegar? Its like the all purpose cleaner for me....

Put a couch over it and change the flow of traffic!(Sorry couldn't resist...our cream carpet is older than dirt...I'm AFRAID of what is under it!...clean just doesn't seem to happen no how many times I scrub it!)

I agree with Janet!

What about the Oxiclean don't they make a carpet cleaner?

cwinter474 said:
I agree with Janet!

What about the Oxiclean don't they make a carpet cleaner?

Of course it probably looks funny with a couch in line with a door! :p

Every once in awhile we would use Oxiclean(sp?) DH would put it in a spray bottle with warm water & let it set in for awhile & then steam clean it...HTH

janetupnorth said:
Of course it probably looks funny with a couch in line with a door! :p

True, but might be a good conversation started, or keep people from visiting.

I just shampooed my carpets yesterday....yuck, I don't think you can ever get carpet totally clean:yuck: Tempting to rip it up & see if I have hardwood floors underneath!
Good luck!

lacychef said:
I just shampooed my carpets yesterday....yuck, I don't think you can ever get carpet totally clean:yuck: Tempting to rip it up & see if I have hardwood floors underneath!
Good luck!

That would be so cool.... I would LOVE to have hardwood floors!

I have hardwood in my dining room & love it. I'm pretty sure that I do have it in my living room too under the carpet...one day I'll get a wild hair & rip it up!

lacychef said:
I have hardwood in my dining room & love it. I'm pretty sure that I do have it in my living room too under the carpet...one day I'll get a wild hair & rip it up!

put on your Nike's and "Just Do It"

This won't help you now but when we built our first house 20 years ago we had the yucky builder grade carpet. We lived with it as long as we could & 3 years later bought new carpet & upgraded to what we hoped would last with kids. The salesman told us to never shampoo (even professionally) your carpets. His reasoning was it will always have residue which will cause the dirt to build up and look dirty. He said vacuum every other day (I do every day cause thats my quirky personality) We never cleaned it and the day we moved out 7 years later they still looked new. When we were building this house in 1998 we went back to the same carpet store ordered the exact dark green we had in the other house and it still looks new. (same guy and he told us the same thing again) People will walk in and think its been replaced & comment on how soft it is. It actually is probably the only thing in the whole house we haven't changed. funny how even though we designed it and had it custom built we have "tweaked" it thru the years.

Teresa...I know that is what my problem is...I am HORRIBLE about sweeping! I don't know what the problem is since if I did it each day, it would take all of 5 minutes! THAT is what I need to do. Get this stain path cleaned up, and then vaccum each day!

I also have a dog (60#) and this door is where she comes in and out. If her feet are wet or dirty, I wipe them with a microfiber cloth...but I know she is the one really making the dirty path.

But, first things first...I need to get the dirt OUT OF THERE! (It actually just looks like a shadow...but it's only on the "path"!)

Teresa Lynn said:
The salesman told us to never shampoo (even professionally) your carpets. His reasoning was it will always have residue which will cause the dirt to build up and look dirty.

That's what I was going to tell Kelly! Because of that residue, it will look dirtier even faster.

try windex....yes, the blue stuff!! you will be amazed!!!!

Kelly, I have berber and was told that I can't use a stain treater on it!! I was like what?!
I bought my house w/ the berber in place and replaced some other flooring in the house. I mentioned the "pathway" thru two of the rooms caused by 3 little boys living their prior. The people at the flooring store sold me some carpet cleaner that is all powdery type and not liquid.
I haven't tried it yet (been afraid) but I have steam cleaned my carpets with OxyClean instead of shampoo. I had to do this when the contractor that was working in my basement allowed someone to stand and they must have used the spot to wipe their feet in the middle of my light cream colored berber. The area was bigger than a basket ball!! It did come up but while steam cleaning, but when I was doing it my floor looked dirtier than it did. But it took out the "pathways" and looks great now!!
Best of luck!!!

Purple power they sell at auto zone

The Rainbow has removed stains that were in carpet for a long time, that even professional carpet cleaners were unable to get out; it has amazed several friends. I like the fact that it is an air purifier and that we have less dust and pollen in the air.

I was all excited for a moment, seeing posts from people I haven't heard from in years, only to see someone bumped an eight year old thread. Whatever happened to Janet, anyway?

I have a beige carpet that has a path despite the fact that I remove my shoes when in the house. I am using a liberal amount of baking soda and a spray bottle of white vinegar. Wait a few minutes then scrub with a toothbrush and scrub brush to get it down the whole shaft of the fiber; let it sit for a while. Then use a bath towel to rub the carpet as dry as you can get it. Vacuum. It takes some elbow grease. I just do a section of carpet each day. Probably take another two days before I am finsished, but it's working. You can tell exacty where I left off each day. I plan to keep vacuum handy and start vacuuming path daily from now on. Also ordered a carpet rake and plan to use that also, to fluff up fibers. NEVER use machine to clearn your carpet; it ruins them. Stains always reappear. Do them by hand. Folex is a great carpet cleaner, but the baking soda and white vinegar is working wonders on the path. UNGH...

I have not seen Janet here for a long time. I too was wondering about her.

1. How can I remove dirt and stains from a high traffic, dark carpet?

To remove dirt and stains from a high traffic, dark carpet, start by vacuuming the area thoroughly to remove any loose debris. Then, mix a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water and pour it onto the stained area. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then blot with a clean cloth. For tougher stains, use a carpet cleaner or spot treatment specifically designed for dark carpets. Always test any cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous area of the carpet first.

2. What is the best way to prevent my high traffic dark carpet from getting dirty?

To prevent your high traffic dark carpet from getting dirty, try placing mats or rugs at entryways to catch dirt and debris before it reaches the carpet. You can also enforce a no-shoes policy in the house to minimize the amount of dirt being tracked onto the carpet. Regular vacuuming and spot cleaning can also help prevent dirt buildup.

3. Can I use bleach on my dark carpet to remove stains?

No, it is not recommended to use bleach on a dark carpet. Bleach can cause discoloration and damage to the fibers of the carpet, making the stain worse. Stick to using gentle cleaning solutions specifically designed for dark carpets, or consult a professional carpet cleaning service for tough stains.

4. How often should I clean my high traffic dark carpet?

The frequency of cleaning your high traffic dark carpet will depend on the amount of foot traffic it receives. It is recommended to vacuum at least once a week and spot clean any stains as they occur. A deep cleaning with a carpet cleaner or professional service should be done every 6-12 months, or more frequently if the carpet is heavily used.

5. What can I do to keep my high traffic dark carpet looking new?

In addition to regular cleaning and maintenance, there are a few things you can do to keep your high traffic dark carpet looking new. Use furniture pads under heavy pieces of furniture to prevent indentations. Rotate furniture periodically to prevent wear and tear in specific areas. Lastly, avoid using harsh chemicals or scrubbing too vigorously when spot cleaning as this can damage the carpet fibers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedalf
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefshawna
  • naekelsey
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • legacypc46