• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Are Southern California Residents Dealing with the Devastating Wildfires?

In summary, the fires in Southern California are getting worse and worse. 250,000 people are being evacuated and it is horrible for those involved.
I'm in Southern California, jsut north of San Diego County. There are 7 huge fires burning out of control right now. 250,000 people are being evacuated... as you can imagine it is horrible. Keep the firefighters, rescue workers, police and families in your thoughts.

Will you possibly have to evacuate?

I just saw this on the news!!!! That is tough!!!! I feel for those very drained firefighters!!!! (...and I felt grumpy when the pager went of at 3 a.m. - at least we're not up 24/7 trying to fight a beast like that...)

I am about 15 miles north of one of the fires... so it is possible I might have to leave. The winds are blowing between 20 and 60 miles an hour here. So if the wind changes directions or if the fire jumps anything can happen. Fires out here move very quickly when the wind is bad. This is the worst I have seen it and I have lived in So Cal my whole life.

THe Cedar fire in 03 was BAD but with so many going on right now it's not lookin good! :( We had to keep our daughter home from school today and one of my freinds-host who was supposed to have a show tomorrow said she has to cancel because they might have to evacuate and they are in lakeside-Santee area. Hope the santa ana dies down soon!

Good luck Heather! El Cajon looks bad based on channel 8, KUSI, which I have been watching all day. I get SD and LA county news being in the middle of both... so I am seeing both ends of it. So scary!

I haven't seen an update since early this morning (been working on my bookeeping job) , the last I heard Ramona was evacuated and now I hear Santee-lakeside maybe too? WE are in La Mesa- east side of Mt Helix but are considered Cajon Valley school district so we are very near El Cajon !

Stay safe guys!!!!

Hi Jenni,
I don't knowif you remember me, we met at Patsy's meeting in Temecula. I just want tyou know that I'm thinking of you and I will be praying that you won't have to evacuate and that if you do it will go smoothly. Take care.

Penny in Rosamond

Hi Penny!!!
Of course I remember you! We are ok for now... fortunately for us in this area the wind is blowing east to west... not north south. We have a plan for evac. The 15 is closed at Temecula basically to the border. So scary. Housing are just burning down because the helicopters and planes can't get into the air. There are not enough firefighters to defend all the areas that are on fire.

How close are you to Castaic/Saugus?

On a really happy note: I just signed my first recruit today! That meeting with Patsy really got me motivated! I hav 3 or 4 more prospects that I am working with too!

PCJenni said:
Hi Penny!!!
Of course I remember you! We are ok for now... fortunately for us in this area the wind is blowing east to west... not north south. We have a plan for evac. The 15 is closed at Temecula basically to the border. So scary. Housing are just burning down because the helicopters and planes can't get into the air. There are not enough firefighters to defend all the areas that are on fire.

How close are you to Castaic/Saugus?

On a really happy note: I just signed my first recruit today! That meeting with Patsy really got me motivated! I hav 3 or 4 more prospects that I am working with too!
It's insane how many fires are going on and not enough man power to tend to them! Help better arrive soon from bording states and NoCal!

Congrats BTW! I just signed #2 friday FD here I come!

Hey ladies!! I'm all the way in Maine, but just wanted to let you know I've been praying for all of you in California dealing with the fires! Stay safe!!

It's horrible!! I can't imagine just having to wait and wonder and worry ...

Has PC said anything about giving waivers to you guys? They do that for people in places that have been declared a state of emergency...like hurricane Katrina...bad snow storms... etc...

heat123 said:
It's insane how many fires are going on and not enough man power to tend to them! Help better arrive soon from bording states and NoCal!

Congrats BTW! I just signed #2 friday FD here I come!

Glad some good news came your way Jenni and Penny! Congrats on the recruits!!

I'm in NorCal and our local news said, all of the available crew were headed down to SoCal earlier in the day (yesterday) and showed a streamline of emergency workers going down. Some headed down that was earlier, but now all available went down...I'm keeping close tabs since a LOT of my relatives live down that way and they're elderly...

MANY prayers to all my SoCal consultants/families/relatives/friends!!!

Please pray for everyone in San Diego and LA Counties!

My entire cluster is down there including Heat123! I am worried sick for all my friends, hosts, past hosts, cluster mates. It is unbelievable how fast these fires can devistate the ones you know and love. Please keep them in your hearts and prayers!

We're still holdin strong in La Mesa, but parts of Spring Valley -where alot of my family is, are being evacuated! :(

I hope everyone here from SoCal are doing ok???!!! The winds are down, hopefully it stays that way all day!

Heather it is good to see you here! I just talked to Carol and she and her family are okay. However, my friends are being evacuated from Bonita and Chula Vista. I am going NUTS! Please check-in when you can! I am praying for you all!!

tpchefrebecca said:
Heather it is good to see you here! I just talked to Carol and she and her family are okay. However, my friends are being evacuated from Bonita and Chula Vista. I am going NUTS! Please check-in when you can! I am praying for you all!!
Wow, I"ve been thinking about everybody down there. I'm glad to hear Carol and her family are doing ok. Rebecca, I hope your friends and family make it through this ok! I'll be thinking about you all down there. Gosh I hope these fires get under control soon.:(

Kind of scary, we just took a ride to get water and dog food and get the girls out of the house (they are going stir crazy) so we took a detour on one highway 94 by our area -we saw the fire just south of the highway, if winds picked up it could jump it and carry over to our side :(. Keeping our fingers crossed winds stay down! But it's crazy it's moved as far as it has in two days almost 300,000 acres burned- worse than our Cedar 03 fires and they say est. containment isn't expected until Nov. 3rd! :(

Heather, my sister lives in Moreno Valley...is that anywhere close to the fires? She works night shift and I never know when to call her and not wake her up..lemme know

I'm sorry Meg, I am not sure where Moreno valley is relative to all these fires??

I to am in Southern California(Simi Valley). My kids didn't have school due to all the smoke in the air. Thank God we are not in the hills, but I have to pray for those who are. I hope you will say a prayer too! Also for the firefighters risking thier lives to save others. We are very greatful to all of them!!!

Morena Valley is eastern Riverside County... nowhere near the SD fires. I can see the Santiago Fire to the east of my house and one of the Fallbrook fire coming from the south.

350,000 people evacuated so far.....

How close are they to the Temec area Jenni?

GADS! My sister may be out of harms way, but I have a consultant in Van Nuys.....I will call her immediately!

My niece just sent out a note about the fires:

"Hi all I just wanted to give you an update on what's happening with Richard and I. We are currently back at home, watching out for any new news on the Harris Fire. Last we heard, it was creeping to the San Miguel, and Eastlake area,(about 10 Mi East of our house) but it is currently slowing down. Air Conditions are ok, there is a lot ash in the air which makes it hard to breath, but as long as we stay inside we seem to be ok. As Far as we know both Richard and I will be off for the week as the mayor has asked that everyone stay off the roads unless you are being evacuated, or emergency personal. Please keep us and all of the people down here in your prayers, as there are many people who have lost their homes and are unsure where to go from here. Our church is currently in the San Miguel Area,(about 1 Mi from the fires) so please keep it in your prayers too. "

Please add them to your long list of prayers.

I can now see at least 2 fires from my backyard. 2 are burning at Camp Pendelton Marine base which is close to us. The wind has died down a lot this afternoon.

Prayers & Safety to all!

Wheww, we had a false alarm! They said our area was under evacution then corrected it 10 mins later! Were all packed and ready just in case! :(

I am several hours north of all the fires and we even had my DD's soccer practice cancelled due to all the smoke in the air as far north as we are. They were at school yesterday but were not allowed outside for recess.

heat123 said:
Wheww, we had a false alarm! They said our area was under evacution then corrected it 10 mins later! Were all packed and ready just in case! :(

OMG! Heather I am glad you are okay.
We're thinking of you!

I'm in the heart of LA and the fires are all around, but not as near. It is soo sad to hear about everything going on! Then to hear insenistive comments about how it is mostly affecting the wealthy and how people are going to the affected areas just to "watch" the houses burn! I also heard about several firefighters that have only had a sandwich in 10 or more hours. It's heartbreaking.

Addie, I was watching channel 7 news and they showed an man in Running Springs who had just lost his home. He was bad mouthing the firefighters because no one was there to save his house! Hello.... thousands of people are lossing their houses and the safety personnel are working their rear ends off. That makes me so mad.

I'm waiting to hear from my in-laws they are in Southern Cali.. I am not sure if they are to near the fires (lancaster/palmdale area) but my sister in-law is going to college at Fullerton....

PCJenni said:
Addie, I was watching channel 7 news and they showed an man in Running Springs who had just lost his home. He was bad mouthing the firefighters because no one was there to save his house! Hello.... thousands of people are lossing their houses and the safety personnel are working their rear ends off. That makes me so mad.
That is terrible! They are risking thier lives to help us and unfortunately there is just not enough man power to handle these 12 fires outrageous fires!:(

I have family in the San Marcos and Escondido area, both were evacuated yesterday. My daughter had major hip surgery last month and is still having trouble walking and was scared to death yesterday. She described it as very dark and the orange glow from the fires lit up her house :eek: she lives in San Marcos. My middle child's God parents live in Escondido and they are staying at his business in the middle of Escondido with their kids. They kids are making the best of the camp out. Alot of the business are closed in the San Diego area. It's very sad, praying that the firefighters can get the upper hand. Anyone know a good rain dance.

As a firefighter, I know they are doing all they can! A large portion of firefighters in the US are volunteer and trust me, they aren't doing it for the glory and they aren't "picking and choosing" houses to save or not to save. The poor men (and women) are doing all they can with very little sleep, very little food, and nature they can't control. I hope them and all our CA consultants stay safe!!!! Property can be replaced, people can't! (Unfortunately I cannot leave my home and family to help, but will be praying for their safety and strength!)

...and I heard reports that some supplemental fires are suspected arson (not the initial) - that is sad - risking and hurting people's lives that way is wrong... :(

heat123 said:
Wow, is that scary. I hope it doesn't get to you having to evacuate.

pamperedbecky said:
Wow, is that scary. I hope it doesn't get to you having to evacuate.

I personally can't imagine trying to function in that...do you sleep with a radio or TV on so you know when to evacuate...do you sleep with fires so close for fear it will be at your doorstep while sleeping... YIKES!!!! :confused:

Well for evacuuees, they are placing a "reverse 911" call for them to leave. And we are watching the Tv and that's where we got our initial report, decided to wait for a call then saw it was a false alarm. We've got really good neighbors on both sides of us, if anything should be happening they would help notify us and 1 of them is a sheriff so they would get first hand news of our street evacuating , luckily for us.

PCJenni said:

That's just terrible. I'd like to slap him!! I'm not normally a violent person but when people are that stupid......

I just found out that my aunt & uncle had to evacuate. My cousin & his family are just a little bit further away & haven't had to evacuate yet. I certainly hope that everything turns out ok & that there is no more loss of life. I for one totally admire firefighters & police who risk their lives to help others. There just aren't enough of them to go around sometimes.

PCJenni said:
I heard on the radio that sometimes the Firefighters pick the houses by looking out for those homeowners who have cleared their brush and at least made an attempt to be safe. This is a no win situation for the people who live there and the firefighters. My mom's house caught fire and there was no warning, we lost valuables but what hurt most were the sentimental items. Furniture my dad made with his own hands (he passed away shortly before this.) I feel for everyone involved.

Last edited:
We are an hour or two northeast of Castaic/Suagus. We can see the smoke on the horizon from that one, the acton one, and the ones over in the San Bernadino County but thankfully the wind blowing is keeping the smoke from us right now.

I'm glad things are picking up for you. My business has actually hit a slump so I've got to get busy and book some shows!

Things are looking better around the Spring valley-Rancho San Diego area but unfortunately it's moved to Jamul :(. The winds are down though, hopefully it remains the same all day for the firefighters out there!

I'm worried my biz will be affected by these fires as I am in the east county and get alot of my bookings from the areas that have been affected, plus the southbay area. 4 shows that I have will most likely be cancelled because of this :(.

Hope all in SoCal are doing ok?!? And I hope these fires are contained sooner than anticipated?!

Things will get better Heather with time. My friends are all home safe and no longer in the threat. Sadly yes it is in Jamul now. I still can't get a hold of my past hostess in Rancho Bernardo. I just hope everyone is alright.

This morning a friend that works for the County of Los Angeles emailed me this info and he asked me to pass it on to those that might need it. I personally don't know anyone that is going through this devastation, but who isn't touched by it? All you have to do is walk out your front door and see the sadness in the sky. There are ashes everyway and the scent of smoke just lingers on. Let's all keep praying for all of the families and business owners that have lost virtually everything.

Here is the info that was sent to me. Copy it and send it to everyone you know in Southern Cali:

-------Original Message-------

FYI:

If you know anyone who might need help because of the fires, share this information with them.

Los Angeles County

The notice of an emergency declaration for the State of California is
hereby amended to include Individual Assistance, limited to the
Individuals and Households Program under section 408 of the Stafford
Act, 42 U.S.C. 5174 for the following areas among those areas determined
to have been adversely affected by the catastrophe declared an emergency
by the President in his declaration of October 23, 2007.

The counties of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San
Diego, Santa Barbara, and Ventura for Individual Assistance, limited to
the Individuals and Households Program under section 408 of the Stafford
Act, 42 U.S.C. 5174, (already designated for emergency protective
measures [Category B], including direct Federal assistance, under the
Public Assistance program.)

The following programs are included in this amendment.

* Community Disaster Loans

* Cora Brown Fund Program

* Crisis Counseling

* Disaster Legal Services Program

* Disaster Unemployment Assistance

* Fire Management Assistance

* Individuals and Households Housing

* Individuals and Households Disaster Housing Operations

* Individuals and Households Program-Other Needs

* Public Assistance Grants

* Ha

I finally heard back from one of my past hostesses who has become a friend. She lives in Rancho Bernardo where it was hit badly. Luckly when I got through yesterday I heard her message machine so I knew her house was okay. She is a sweetheart and has a great sense of humor. This is what she emailed me today:

"Hi Rebecca, Thanks for your call and expression of concern. We were evacuated Mon. am and cleared to return home yesterday afternoon. We stayed with friends in the Talmage area (near SDSU) No fires in PQ, but 300+ homes lost near Diana in RB. One of her friends who scrapbooks with us lost her home. My folks are still waiting to go home to Escondido, but expect their house is OK. I hope your friends in So. Bay are doing well. Thanks for calling.
-Leslie
PS I was really going to be mad if I lost all my new PC knives and baking dishes!"

Good to hear! I have heard back from all except 2 one in the Fallbrook area and another in North county. I hope they are ok!?!

Related to How Are Southern California Residents Dealing with the Devastating Wildfires?

1. How many fires are currently burning in Southern California?

As of now, there are a total of 7 major wildfires burning in Southern California.

2. How many people have been evacuated due to the fires?

Approximately 250,000 people have been evacuated from their homes in Southern California due to the wildfires.

3. What areas are being impacted by the fires?

The fires are primarily affecting areas in and around San Diego County, with some reaching into Orange County and Los Angeles County.

4. How are the firefighters and rescue workers handling the situation?

The firefighters and rescue workers are working tirelessly to contain the fires and protect affected communities. They are bravely risking their lives to save others, and we are incredibly grateful for their dedication and bravery.

5. How can I help those affected by the wildfires?

You can help by making monetary donations to organizations such as the Red Cross or local fire departments. You can also donate supplies or volunteer your time to assist with relief efforts. Most importantly, please keep the affected families and responders in your thoughts and send positive energy their way.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back