• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Guilty Pleasure...trip Down Memory Lane..."Elvira"!

In summary, "The Search for the Next Elvira" on Fox Reality TV was a popular show that featured the original Elvira and showcased contestants who vied for the title of the next Elvira. The show ended on Halloween night, making it a perfect finale for the spooky theme. The conversation also delved into the history of Elvira and her resemblance to Vampira, as well as the controversy surrounding her costume and appearance. The topic of corsetry and its impact on creating an exaggerated hourglass figure was also discussed.
nikked
Gold Member
Did anybody catch "The Search for the Next Elvira" on Fox Reality TV? It was a hoot! The had the "real" Elvira! I swear, she must have spent every dime she ever made on plastic surgery...she still looks the same, except that the "girls" don't quite fill the dress the same way! It ended Halloween night, which was SO appropriate!

Anyway, I don't know what they're going to do with the winner, but it was a fun trip down mammory...I mean memory...lane! Gotta love those crazy "B" horror flicks!

http://www.foxreality.com/show.php?id=35564

Never watched her, but I LOVED this song by the Oak Ridge Boys as a kid...

Eyes that look like heaven, lips like sherry wine
That girl can sure enough make my little light shine
I get a funny feelin' up and down my spine
'Cause I know that my Elvira's mine

So I'm singin'
Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire Elvira
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Heigh-ho Silver, away

Tonight I'm gonna meet her at the Hungry House Cafe
And I'm gonna give her all the love I can
She's gonna jump and holler 'cause I saved up my last two dollars
We're gonna search and find that preacher man

Now I'm a singin'
Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire Elvira
Heigh-ho Silver, away

janetupnorth said:
Never watched her, but I LOVED this song by the Oak Ridge Boys as a kid...

Love this song! We've been singing it for the last couple of weeks, but could only remember the chorus...thanks for posting the words! Once this gets in your head, it's hard to get rid of, so off singing I go!:sing: :yuck: :sing: :D :sing:

Will the real Elvira, please stand up?The original vamp of the night was Vampira, who was a Los Angeles horror movie host back in the 1950's. She had a starring role in Ed Wood's Plan Nine From Outer Space, arguably the worst movie ever made.

http://www.cultsirens.com/vampira/vampira03.jpg

Then a few years later, along comes Elvira. There were lawsuits but the issue of Elvira ripping off Vampira was never settled, from the similarity in name to the costume. The photos are here, you be the judge.

http://www.hicelebs.com/gallery/cassandra_peterson/59.jpg

By the way, here's Cassandra Peterson, the black beehive wig and that almost-a-dress made her unrecognizable out of costume.

225px-Cassandra_Peterson_Elvira.jpg

I knew if anyone would have information on this, you would! Thanks!!!

The first time I saw a photo of Casandra Peterson, out of costume, I couldn't believe she was really Elvira.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The first time I saw a photo of Casandra Peterson, out of costume, I couldn't believe she was really Elvira.

Me either, but that is often true of people "dressed up" like that...he-he...

KG, my guess is that you never got a good look at her face when she was in costume. :)

raebates said:
KG, my guess is that you never got a good look at her face when she was in costume. :)

Oh, how right you probably are!!!

Then when she covered up the girls he had no idea who it was! :p

raebates said:

LOL... somehow I think this is more true than not! :rolleyes:

I just want to know what kind of contraption she was wearing to squeeze them in and up so much! That must have hurt!

The miracles of corsetry!

It's basic civil engineering - cantilever truss design, similar to certain types of bridges.

Definitely corsets.. it's what they refer to as 'wasp waist'.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/EE/images/forumuploads/corsettraining.jpg

This gal holds the record for smallest waist: Homepage Cathie Jung

Warning... there are pics not intended for youngsters (including TKG) at that link. Okay.. j/k about TKG... he may enjoy that link actually. Remember TKG.. they have faces too!

Wasp waist is only one effect achieved through corsetry. In my costuming classes in college we discussed (very briefly) the importance of matching period undergarments to period costumes. Renaissance corsets create a very different look from Victorian ones, since different parts of the female anatomy were considered beautiful and sexy.This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)

lkprescott said:
Definitely corsets.. it's what they refer to as 'wasp waist'.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/EE/images/forumuploads/corsettraining.jpg

This gal holds the record for smallest waist: Homepage Cathie Jung

Warning... there are pics not intended for youngsters (including TKG) at that link. Okay.. j/k about TKG... he may enjoy that link actually. Remember TKG.. they have faces too!
She looks like a blow-up doll.

Related to Guilty Pleasure...trip Down Memory Lane..."Elvira"!

1. What is "Guilty Pleasure...trip Down Memory Lane...Elvira"?

"Guilty Pleasure...trip Down Memory Lane...Elvira" is a collection of nostalgic recipes and memories inspired by the iconic character Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.

2. Are the recipes in this collection difficult to make?

No, the recipes in "Guilty Pleasure...trip Down Memory Lane...Elvira" are designed to be easy to make and perfect for anyone, regardless of cooking experience.

3. Can I find these recipes online?

Yes, many of the recipes in "Guilty Pleasure...trip Down Memory Lane...Elvira" can also be found on the Pampered Chef website for free.

4. Is this collection only for fans of Elvira?

No, while the collection is inspired by Elvira, anyone can enjoy the delicious and nostalgic recipes in "Guilty Pleasure...trip Down Memory Lane...Elvira".

5. Are there any gluten-free or vegan options in this collection?

Yes, "Guilty Pleasure...trip Down Memory Lane...Elvira" includes a variety of recipes that cater to different dietary restrictions, including gluten-free and vegan options.

Back