• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grandma's Comfort Food: Seeking a Classic Recipe

In summary, this dish is made with ground beef, canned tomatoes, macaroni noodles, and cheese. It is served with white bread and butter. Some people pre-cook the macaroni before adding it to the dish.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I'm not even sure what this is called but my nanna used to make a dish with garlic, ground beef, canned tomatoes, macaroni noodles and I'm not sure what else. It was nice and thick and ohh so good! Sadly, she's been gone for over 20 years and I have no other family to speak of. And my MIL's cooking leaves alot to be desired.

Does anyone have a favorite version of this type of recipe? Maybe one that's been in THEIR family forever? I tried allrecipes but everything had different types of cheese added to it. Thanks in advance!

Goulash is what my family called it don't have a written recipe but this is how i make itI brown my ground beef (2 pounds my family likes it pretty chunky) drain it (or use ground turkey)
add 1 large fresh diced onion and cook until transparent
Add 2 lg cans of tomato sauce and 1 can water
1 can of diced tomatoes
add garlic salt to taste simmer
just before serving add 1 more can of water bring to a boil pour in macaroni cook until plump

I seem to remember something like that when I was growing up too. And yep, it was yummy! Maybe some onions in the ground beef. And I thought I remember vegetables like a bag of frozen mixed. Maybe? I dunno - but I"m going to try it now. Ooh, brings back a lot of memories of my Nanny. THanks :~D

Teresa Lynn said:
Goulash is what my family called it don't have a written recipe but this is how i make it

I brown my ground beef (2 pounds my family likes it pretty chunky) drain it (or use ground turkey)
add 1 large fresh diced onion and cook until transparent
Add 2 lg cans of tomato sauce and 1 can water
1 can of diced tomatoes
add garlic salt to taste simmer
just before serving add 1 more can of water bring to a boil pour in macaroni cook until plump

So you cook the macaroni right in the beef/tomato mixture? Boy I'm glad I asked! I thought you'd boil the noodles, mix the beef/tomato and then combine...

My grandma did pre cook it (of course she only had home canned tomatoes and sauce & home grown onions but mine is almost identical to hers I can duplicate many of her cooked recipes that she never wrote down we were joined at the hip in the kitchen). When she baked I was my grandpa's shadow that didn't interest me still doesn't.When I make lasagna, goulash or my chicken spaghetti casserole I never precook the pasta. Depending on the brand i do need to occassionally add a little more water.When I'm really homesick I make it in my crockpot and let it simmer all day and add macaroni about 15 minutes before we want to eat.
We eat this with white bread and butter 'cuz thats how grandma served it.

kcjodih said:
So you cook the macaroni right in the beef/tomato mixture? Boy I'm glad I asked! I thought you'd boil the noodles, mix the beef/tomato and then combine...

you could pre-cook the macaroni, but if you cook it in the tomatoes the "sauce" won't be as runny. I assume the starch from the pasta thickens the sauce. Where's Kacey when we need her?!?!

peichef said:
you could pre-cook the macaroni, but if you cook it in the tomatoes the "sauce" won't be as runny. I assume the starch from the pasta thickens the sauce. Where's Kacey when we need her?!?!
That's true- just like in the Creamy One Pot Pasta. It would also absorb some of the liquid.

Here's Paula Deen's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/bobbys-goulash-recipe2/index.html

I have not tried it yet, but it sure looks good when she fixes it.

My Mom made something similar, but used Velveeta cheese at the end. It was always a big hit with the family.

Teresa's recipe is exactly how I remember my granny's. My friend makes it too & this is what she does. :) Goulash is what we called it, too. In fact, that's what I thought immediately when I look at the title of this thread! :D

We call it American Chop Suey.

My mom made something we called Noodle stuff - ground beef, onions, green peppers, small shell pasta, canned diced tomatoes, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper (I think ) -- I have a call into her (she doesn't have a cell!) so when she tells me the correct ingredients, I will post (maybe have her make me some as well!!)

Related to Grandma's Comfort Food: Seeking a Classic Recipe

1. What is "Grandma's Comfort Food" cookbook all about?

"Grandma's Comfort Food" is a cookbook filled with classic recipes that have been passed down for generations. These recipes evoke feelings of nostalgia and warmth, and are perfect for cozy family meals or special occasions.

2. Are the recipes in "Grandma's Comfort Food" difficult to make?

No, most of the recipes in this cookbook are simple and easy to follow. They are designed to be accessible for all levels of cooking experience.

3. Are there any vegetarian or vegan options in "Grandma's Comfort Food"?

Yes, there are a few vegetarian and vegan recipes included in the cookbook. However, the majority of the recipes do contain meat or dairy products.

4. Can I find recipes for traditional comfort foods from different cultures in this cookbook?

Yes, "Grandma's Comfort Food" includes a variety of classic recipes from different cultures, such as Italian lasagna, Mexican enchiladas, and Chinese fried rice. It celebrates the diversity of comfort food around the world.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for making these recipes healthier?

While the focus of this cookbook is on classic and indulgent comfort foods, there are some tips and variations included in some of the recipes for making them slightly healthier. However, these dishes are meant to be enjoyed as a treat and may not always be the healthiest option.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
  • lacychef
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Staci
  • janetupnorth
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies