• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Get Peace of Mind with Our Furniture Protection Plan - Is It Worth the Cost?

something on our sectional and even though it was a little spot we thought we couldn't do anything about it...we called the company and they were able to come out and take care of it for us...and it was so easy and no hassle at all! Definitely worth it!
KellyRedHead
We are looking at new furniture for our livingroom. Sofa, chair and probably a recliner. So at the store they offer this "Platinum Protection Plan" that provides protection on the furniture for stains, rips, cuts, burns, structural damage for up to five years.
My question is, has anyone taken this warranty on their furniture, or something similiar to it? And if so do you think it was worth it? Those that haven't and have had something happen to your furniture did it cost alot to get it repaired that you wish you had purchased it?
I am just trying to weight the cost. It is $245. Do I just put that into an account of my own in case something happens and I didn't get the warranty?

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

Kelly V.

Kelly,

I knew Dave Ramsey talked about protection plans or an extended warranty. This isn't about furniture. . .but here's a different way to look at:

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/stupid_tax/index.cfm?FuseAction=dspContent&intContentID=9934

A good friend of mine worked for a furniture store helping deliver around the holidays. He said most guarantees and the Scotchguard stainfighter are all high-priced add ons. He said they sprayed a chemical on furniture and if it was cold, the chemical wouldn't dry right - and that they often delivered the furniture wet to irritated customers.

One that makes sense is some kind of scratch/puncture guarantee for leather furniture.

Go with what makes you comfortable.

yep, not worth it.

a second "yep, not worth it"

I would say that purchasing an extended warranty is probably not worth it. I would think that if you ever had to use it, you would have to get your furniture back to the store, then pick it back up, that would be a pain. If you get microfiber or something similar it already has a stain resistant finish and they work pretty good. Our friend spilled paint on their couch and it came right off. The key is to clean it quickly. Some furniture has a lifetime warranty on mechanics that's included. We have a recliner that my dad gave to us and it has a lifetime warranty on the reclining mechanism. My dad has taken it in many times to have it fixed, but that wasn't something extra that he purchased, it came with the chair. So, not worth it, just get quality furniture to begin with and you shouldn't have any problems! :D

We are debating about leather or microfiber (there is one I like that looks like a worn leather) I want leather more and DH doesn't like it. He will be getting a recliner in the microfiber I think.
So I guess my question then is what about leather ripping? If you have leather is the warranty worth it, or it doesn't cost that much to have fix don't bother with the warranty.

Thanks again!

scottcooks said:
A good friend of mine worked for a furniture store helping deliver around the holidays. He said most guarantees and the Scotchguard stainfighter are all high-priced add ons. He said they sprayed a chemical on furniture and if it was cold, the chemical wouldn't dry right - and that they often delivered the furniture wet to irritated customers.

One that makes sense is some kind of scratch/puncture guarantee for leather furniture.

Go with what makes you comfortable.

I used to work in furniture and the company is what decides if it is worth it. We applied something called stainsafe. It was sprayed on but it embedded into the weave of the furniture and it wasn't stain resistent. What it did do is if the furniture was to get wet or spill the fluid would stay on the top and you would take a dry cloth and wipe it up, and after use just water to clean it up. If it did not come out, this is another difference, you would call the company and they would come out and either get the stain out for you or pay to have it replaced. But one big thing is not to use any chemicals or even water until you call them. Sometimes they tell you to try something first and then if that don't work they will come out. I got it on my furniture and love the program. I would never buy furniture with out it. I also have the protection on my tables which covers stains, burns and scratches. The major thing these do not cover is chemical (bleach, nail polish etc) or pet scratches or tears. But it also does cover pet stains too on your upholstered furniture. Hope that helps.

We bought it when we purchased from Bassett 8 years ago

Definately worth it!!
While on vacation a little neighbor girl spilled hot pink fingernail polish on our ottaman while her mom was caring for our cat.
they took care of it
bought it again when we bought our leather furniture a couple of years ago form Lazy Boy
Its kind of like health insurance we do it in hopes to never use it!!

We bought leather couches from La-Z-Boy with the extended warranty too. Never had to use it, but we were primarily worried about punctures and the like, as we have dogs (though they're too old to jump up on furniture now).It didn't seem like that much more to add on, for the peace of mind.Now, we have been hard-sold the warranty on regular fabric furniture in the past... as well as our mattresses... I don't think those are worth it but the salespeople get paid extra commission on it, so if you can negotiate "extras" in exchange for agreeing to it, it may be worth it to you. (For example, if they *really* need to show a sale in the extended warranty, they may throw in extra discount on the furniture, or free accessories, etc).

If you need a car warranty.. they are calling me and I can foreward your # LOL.. I NEVER purchase warranties.. waste of money in my opinion. If they ask you to buy one.. I ask.. "Is your product inferior???" Usually shuts them up.

gingertannery said:
If you need a car warranty.. they are calling me and I can foreward your # LOL.. I NEVER purchase warranties.. waste of money in my opinion. If they ask you to buy one.. I ask.. "Is your product inferior???" Usually shuts them up.

Did you give them my number?? LOL! I get calls from them too!
That's funny to ask them if their product is inferior! I have never thought of that!!:thumbup:

Guess it is a personal choice depending on what you are purchasing and if you are thinking if we don't and something happens and is expensive, we will be kicking ourselves later??
I know we purchased a DVD player that was $70 and they wanted to sell us a two year warranty for $30. I said are you kidding me?? That was almost half the cost of the DVD! No thanks, I told them I will get a new one if it dies!

My husband carries keys on his belt loop for his job and doesn't take them off very often. Is leather or microfiber stronger and/or does either tear more?
If you have leather and microfiber or knows someone who does, what do they like better?? Or what do you like in general if you were shopping??

Kelly V.

The protection program I talked about is not a guarantee it is a warranty, hence it has no effect on the quality of the furniture. And when I worked there just last year the cost was very minimal considering it was for 5 years. I can't remember the upholstery or leather price but the wood protection was only $25 for tables. I don't remember much else LOL But to me if you are buying quality merchandise you want it to stay that way as long as possible so it is well worth it. Where I worked didn't get extra commission on the protection but got points and awards were given at end of year for these kind of things.

We have bought the warranties with our new furniture purchases lately because the way the worked at our store was you went ahead and paid for them with the furniture and anything that happened over the next five years was covered. but if you didn't use it then at the end of the five years they refunded your money. Since we are military and move alot we thought it was a good idea.

I just bought a living room set from Bassett and purchased the protection plan. I too get the amount refunded if I never use the service.

A co-worker of mine said her son bought the warranty on his furniture, and when the dog chewed a hole in the couch, they took care of it for him. I'd say if you have the extra to do it, I would.

My 2 cents... I would say that a warranty is worth considering, depending on what it covers, but extra for a stain guard probably isn't.

I got the stain warranty on my couches and wouldn't you know that when my son marked on it with an ink pen. That is something that is not covered. What a waste of money, we wished we hadn't bought it.

I'm no help at all, I get my couches from Goodwill for about $50 and when they are totally trashed we toss them and go get a new (used) one.
With three little kids, a dog and three cats I love not having to stress.

However, when I do buy nice stuff, in like 15 years LOL, I will read ALL the fine print first. Good luck!

Crystal, I know what you mean. We are going to gut the living room this year and completely redo it, and I would like to invest in some nice things, but with the kids, and car guys over all the time, I'll stick with the crap we got, I'm not going to waste money on stuff they all are just going to ruin.

Related to Get Peace of Mind with Our Furniture Protection Plan - Is It Worth the Cost?

1. What exactly does the Furniture Protection Plan cover?

The Furniture Protection Plan covers accidental damage, including stains, rips, tears, and burns, on any covered furniture for a period of 5 years from the purchase date.

2. Is there a limit to the number of times I can file a claim?

There is no limit to the number of claims you can file during the 5-year coverage period. However, once the total cost of covered repairs or replacements reaches the original purchase price of the furniture, the plan will no longer be valid.

3. How do I file a claim under the Furniture Protection Plan?

To file a claim, simply call our customer service line or submit a claim online. You will need to provide your plan number, proof of purchase, and details of the damage. Our team will then guide you through the next steps.

4. Are there any exclusions to the coverage?

Yes, the Furniture Protection Plan does not cover pre-existing damage, pet damage, normal wear and tear, or damage caused by misuse or neglect. It also does not cover any damage that occurs outside of the United States.

5. Is the Furniture Protection Plan worth the cost?

We believe that the peace of mind and protection offered by our Furniture Protection Plan is definitely worth the cost. Instead of having to pay for costly repairs or replacements out of pocket, you can simply file a claim and have your furniture restored to its original condition at no additional cost.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
Back