• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frugal and Fun: A Creative Solution for a Busy Mom's 7th Birthday Party

In summary, DD turns 7 on May 9th and her mom does a small private school party for her with 25 classmates. All the kids get a free ice cream cone from McD's. They walk to the library after getting their cones. DD's mom celebrates her daughter's birthday at home with cake and family. Her relatives are all 300+ miles away, so DD celebrates her birthday with her "immediate family."
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, DD turns 7 on May 9th - last year we had a party for her at the bowling alley. This year, life is busy, she has a ton of friends, but no real CLOSE friends because everyone up here knows everyone but you live a ways away from your neighbor. Anyway, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a party again, I thought of doing one at home, but life is WAY too busy. Besides, my house is not suited to hold many kids, the weather may not cooperate and our yard still looks like winter. I can't guarantee grass will be green and with having to repair a roof soon, we may be busy with that...So DD goes to a small private school - class size of 25 total for 2 grades. I called the nearby McD's - 3 blocks away, got them to honor the 49 cent cone sale price on her birthday, we are walking down there as a class to all get vanilla cones and then they walk to the library.:)I'm pretty pleased - DD thinks it is great, it costs me about $13.00 and the entire class gets a mini field-trip.Of course, we'll celebrate with a cake and "immediate family birthday" at home.All relatives are 300+ miles away anyway and one Grandpa and Grandma are flying to Alaska then anyway for her cousin's college graduation.

What a wonderful and thoughtful idea, Janet!!! And I love your son's date of birth...my "little boy" will turn 18 on May 9th!!!! :balloon:

I think that sounds like a great plan - and one that kids will love! What's more fun than an ice cream cone and a playground?

Are you talking about the bowling party where the kid and family got in on the party and you had to pay for them all!

Ice Cream cones sounds like a great idea!!! We did Luke's party at McDonald's last year and it took so much strain off us. But with things I have found out about McDonald's support of things, we will not do that this year. I wish we had other options around here for places to have parties that the people take care of the cleaning up and food!

Last edited:
jrstephens said:
Are you talking about the bowling party where the kid and family got in on the party and you had to pay for them all!
Naaah, that was Linda's son's party....

that sounds awesome!

jrstephens said:
But with things I have found out about McDonald's support of things, we will not do that this year.
May I ask what this is?

ChefBeckyD said:

Yeah, that was Linda's party - I had a good bowling experience!

baychef said:
What a wonderful and thoughtful idea, Janet!!! And I love your son's date of birth...my "little boy" will turn 18 on May 9th!!!! :balloon:

That is DD's Birthday - Sammie's

DS's B-day is 12/10.

But still a wonderful day, and sometimes falls on Mother's Day! :love:

baychef said:
May I ask what this is?

Yeah, forgot about that...it is so hard nowadays, EVERYONE gets in on everything. You pretty much can't touch ANY product in the US without it somewhere touching something/someone your beliefs may not be in-line with. I figure I need to pick and choose my battles.

Those recent developments weren't publicized around here so I know these 6-8 year old will not make any ties of a "free" birthday ice cream cone to an issue.

ChefBeckyD said:
Yes, thanks so much for bringing that up. I actually saw the family at the school's Spring Fling on Saturday, all the kids said hello and of course the mom just stood in the background - guess she was hoping I'd let her kids play the games with out a ticket - not!

janetupnorth said:
That is DD's Birthday - Sammie's

DS's B-day is 12/10.

But still a wonderful day, and sometimes falls on Mother's Day! :love:

OOPS!! I can't tell my "s" s from my "d" s!!! Funny...my brother's birthday is on 12/10!!

baychef said:
OOPS!! I can't tell my "s" s from my "d" s!!!

Well, when the D's grow up the bumps are higher than when the S's grow up... :p :blushing: :rolleyes:

janetupnorth said:
Yeah, forgot about that...it is so hard nowadays, EVERYONE gets in on everything. You pretty much can't touch ANY product in the US without it somewhere touching something/someone your beliefs may not be in-line with. I figure I need to pick and choose my battles.

Those recent developments weren't publicized around here so I know these 6-8 year old will not make any ties of a "free" birthday ice cream cone to an issue.

No problem, I was only curious, but I know that sometimes others will turn it into a battle of opinions. I have no critizism, just was curious. I can always do a "google" and get more information than I probably ever wanted!!

Honestly, when someone asks if any of our products are made in the USA, I reply that I don't know and move on. My feeling is that if who the corporation supports doesn't go against a belief system, I can guarantee that something else a corporation is doing will run up against that same belief.

The point is...the free ice cream and the time with friends is "priceless" and will be remembered!

baychef said:
No problem, I was only curious, but I know that sometimes others will turn it into a battle of opinions. I have no critizism, just was curious. I can always do a "google" and get more information than I probably ever wanted!!

Honestly, when someone asks if any of our products are made in the USA, I reply that I don't know and move on. My feeling is that if who the corporation supports doesn't go against a belief system, I can guarantee that something else a corporation is doing will run up against that same belief.

The point is...the free ice cream and the time with friends is "priceless" and will be remembered!

Let me see if I have the article around on what Jennifer mentioned to satisfy your curiosity...

janetupnorth said:
Well, when the D's grow up the bumps are higher than when the S's grow up... :p :blushing: :rolleyes:

Oh boy...we were on the cruise last week together and I accidentally started out of the bathroom before I was supposed to and DS had a teeny tiny fit. When I apologized I told him I saw enough of him when he was little and that was enough for me!!

And DS's have 2 bumps as opposed to....never mind!!:eek: :rolleyes: :blushing:

ChefBeckyD said:

I was thinking it did not seem like it had been a year, yet! HA!

What a great idea Janet! I need to remember that! I don't know about the whole class, because I my town is way bigger, it sounds like to me. But I love your idea!:thumbup: :D

Well, I just got done taking 23 kids for a 3 block walk to McDonalds then back to the library. Weather was BEAUTIFUL - cones were a hit! :)DD is very happy!

Good for you. Hope DD has a fabulous birthday!

So far she is! We are going bowling as a family after work (to include Kyle too...he's jealous that Sammie got ice cream at school!!!!), then to eat and maybe DQ. She's getting spoiled today! Plus Grandma and Grandpa had to go see the oldest GS graduate from college so they didn't shop for gifts and sent her a check. Her eyes were as big as saucers when she saw a check for herself!!!!

1. What is "aMom's Solution..."?

"aMom's Solution..." is a collection of kitchen tools and gadgets designed specifically for busy moms to make cooking and meal preparation easier and more efficient.

2. What sets "aMom's Solution..." apart from other Pampered Chef products?

"aMom's Solution..." products are designed with the needs and challenges of moms in mind. They are versatile, easy to use, and help save time in the kitchen.

3. Can "aMom's Solution..." products be used by non-moms?

Yes, absolutely! While these products were specifically designed for busy moms, anyone can benefit from their convenience and functionality.

4. Are "aMom's Solution..." products dishwasher safe?

Yes, all "aMom's Solution..." products are dishwasher safe, making clean-up a breeze for busy moms.

5. Is there a warranty for "aMom's Solution..." products?

Yes, like all Pampered Chef products, "aMom's Solution..." products come with a limited lifetime warranty. If you experience any issues with your product, please contact our customer service team for assistance.

Back