• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Explosion in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

In summary, an natural gas explosion has destroyed the Baptist church in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. There are no survivors and all that remains is the bell tower. The church was just across the street from the band shell on Lac La Belle shore. There are six injuries as of now, three of which are treated at Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital. The fires are well under control and the church is expected to be rebuilt.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
I wouldn't ordinarily post a news story (unless it's something funny, of course) but this is such a stunning report that I just had to tell you all about it.

A natural gas explosion in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin (about 35 miles west of Milwaukee) has destroyed the Baptist church - there is absolutely nothing left of it but the bell tower.

http://images.todaystmj4.com/images/church%20destroyed%20steeple.jpg

Of course, all I can think of it "Holy Smoke."

Gadzooks, Batman! There are no bats in that belfy!! If it were a Catholic church, I would say they are burning religious insence!

We had this happen at a school in an area south of where I live. Luckily, it was a weekend. Same with this church...hopefully no one was in the church at the time and glad it wasn't Sunday.

There's no video online yet, but http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/17230289.html has a helicopter on the scene. There will be some very impressive video online soon, I'm sure. The helicopter video has some incredible footage of firefighters trying to keep the houses, surrounding the church, from becoming involved. At least one house is severely damaged and two others are smoking. Firefighters from surrounding towns are responding.

Which Baptist Church KG????ETA - forget it - found it in an article...First Baptist Church

The tower looks neat. It must have been a beautiful building.

janetupnorth said:
Which Baptist Church KG????
The one that isn't there anymore. :(

If you're familiar with Oconomowoc (if you can't pronounce it, you aren't familiar with it) the church was right across the street from the band shell on the shore of Lac La Belle.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The one that isn't there anymore. :(

If you're familiar with Oconomowoc (if you can't pronounce it, you aren't familiar with it) the church was right across the street from the band shell on the shore of Lac La Belle.

Funny! :p

Ah, I think I have seen it before now that you describe the location...haven't been through there in about 10-12 years though.

...pretty bad when I relate to band shells as landmarks vs. stores and gas stations...I always notice them...

janetupnorth said:
Which Baptist Church KG????

...First Baptist Church

Is there such a thing as the Second or Third Baptist Church?:rolleyes: Hey I was raised Catholic and my Dad was Protestant (that never attended).

Like the Fifth Third Bank. (I'm still trying to figure that one out.)The fires look like they are pretty well under control.There are six injuries so far - four men and one woman have been treated at Oconomowoc Memorial, another man was transported by Flight For Life to Froedert Hospital, the local large trauma center. Flight for Life is on its way back to the scene.Amateur photos are stunning. Someone got the bell tower with flames shooting from the windows - what a dramatic photo!

This is an incredible photograph!http://images.todaystmj4.com/images/400*300/newexp1.jpgPhoto by Norman Lange.

baychef said:
Is there such a thing as the Second or Third Baptist Church?:rolleyes: Hey I was raised Catholic and my Dad was Protestant (that never attended).

Yup! ;)

In Houston, Springfield, Richmond, Conway, Evanston, Las Vegas, Detroit...

But I agree with KG, that Fifth Third Bank gets me too!!!!

Usually, the second, third or fourth of a church gets a name like Lakeview, Three Rivers, Disciples, Saint Drogo or some other obscure saint.They could change the name of this one to St Blaise.

janetupnorth said:
Yup! ;)

In Houston, Springfield, Richmond, Conway, Evanston, Las Vegas, Detroit...
Second Baptist in Detroit is a historic church in the Greektown neighborhood, and was a stop on the Underground Railroad. They have a museum and giftshop of UR items.

I'm glad this didn't happen during Sunday services, although then it's likely that someone would have smelled the gas before disaster struck.

There were representative of WE Energies (the gas company) on site when the explosion occurred - people had reported the odor. The current speculation was that a back hoe, doing excavating on Wisconsin Avenue, hit the main. If that's what ignited the burn, it's likely it wouldn't have been there on Sunday.

The church is less than a quarter mile from my past Friday's host's home. My host works from home and said she could smell the smoke in her house before she heard the sirens. She said one of the guests from the show lives two houses down from the church and had to be evacuated, but it looks like her house is fine. Scary stuff.

Small world...my sister in law grew up about two blocks from there. She still has cousins and uncles in the neighborhood.

Related to Explosion in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

What happened during the explosion in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin?

On July 10, 2020, there was a large explosion at the Didion Milling plant in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. The explosion was caused by a buildup of corn dust in the facility's silos, resulting in a massive blast that destroyed the plant and caused extensive damage to nearby buildings.

Were there any injuries or fatalities from the explosion?

Unfortunately, there were fatalities and injuries reported from the explosion. Five workers were killed and 12 others were injured. Our hearts go out to the families and loved ones of those affected by this tragedy.

How has Pampered Chef responded to the explosion?

Pampered Chef has been actively involved in supporting the community of Oconomowoc and those affected by the explosion. We have donated funds to local organizations and charities, as well as providing volunteer assistance to help with the cleanup and recovery efforts.

Is the Didion Milling plant the only supplier for Pampered Chef products?

No, Pampered Chef works with multiple suppliers to source our high-quality products. While the Didion Milling plant was one of our suppliers, we have other suppliers that we work with to ensure the safety and quality of our products.

What safety measures does Pampered Chef have in place to prevent similar incidents?

Pampered Chef takes safety very seriously and we have strict protocols in place to ensure the safety of our products. We work closely with our suppliers to ensure they are following industry standards and regulations for safety. We also conduct regular audits to ensure compliance and make any necessary improvements to prevent incidents like this from occurring in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back