• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Effective Tick Bite Treatment and Prevention Tips | OT Help

In summary, the person is considering going to the ER because they found a tick on their back and it was embedded. They are also considering whether or not to test for Lyme disease. They hope to get a round of antibiotics as a precaution.
jbachen
OK, so after my lovely walk for March of Dimes this morning, I just found a tick on my back. Ugh. And it was embedded. DH tried to pull it out, but the head stayed in. So then I let him poke at me for a bit with a pin, and he got some out but not all. An internet search has mentioned that I should see a doctor "today", as the risk of infection grows when the head is left behind. But I am not sure if today means call in the morning or go to the ER. Does anyone on here have any good advice for me??

Including advice on how to calm the heebie jeebies that have me feeling critters crawling all over me right now... :blushing:

I think right now means you should go to the ER. You want to get it all out ASAP!!!

Oh wow, I hope someone has advice for you because I sure don't. Yikes!! Good luck, though. There are some very knowledgable people here so hopefully someone in the medical field will chime in.

I would be going to urgent care...needs to be seen today

I am so torn. I have no clinics near me, so it means a trip to the ER, which means a rather large bill. I can do it if I need to, but I hate to throw away money unnecessarily, KWIM? And some of the information I am finding (albeit on the internet) says there is nothing to worry about, but it also creeps me out to have this head in there all night long. It took me like a half hour just to put my shirt back on.

DH said that you can wait until the morning to call your doc. No need to go to the ER. Put some peroxide on it & keep it clean to keep the infection risk down.

PS - We've had many a tick bite in our house. Nothing to be concerned about. He's a farmer & a hunter, so maybe that makes him an 'expert'? LOL... well, maybe not, but he said you'd be fine.

As long as the tick was larger and very visible it was probably a wood tick, not a deer tick. Deer ticks are about the size of a pin head. The head or actually the hypstome often stays in. It will eventually work its way out like a tiny sliver.I would just watch it and if no redness or rash appears, you are just fine. If it does appear, then see the doctor.

Hi Janet, I was hoping you would have some input on this one, because you know so much about stuff like this! :)Actually the entire area around the head is red and swollen, so I called the doctor this morning, and they are seeing me tonight. The tick had a white spot on its back, which makes it a lone star tick, according to a site I found online. I also found something online that it can carry Lyme disease, but it is generally a milder version of the disease. Now, I know, I always take online research with a grain of salt, but I did save the little bugger for my doctor to look at! And I will talk to him about testing, because it would be just my luck to end up with Lyme's!

jbachen said:
Hi Janet, I was hoping you would have some input on this one, because you know so much about stuff like this! :)

Actually the entire area around the head is red and swollen, so I called the doctor this morning, and they are seeing me tonight.

The tick had a white spot on its back, which makes it a lone star tick, according to a site I found online. I also found something online that it can carry Lyme disease, but it is generally a milder version of the disease. Now, I know, I always take online research with a grain of salt, but I did save the little bugger for my doctor to look at! And I will talk to him about testing, because it would be just my luck to end up with Lyme's!

The red and swollen could be due to the irritation of trying to get it out and the fact that your body is "fighting" the something in it. Hopefully, that is the case. However, very glad you are erring on the side of caution - better safe than dealing with it later.

Also, glad you saved it and can identify it.

They may prescribe a round of antibiotics as a precautionary measure.

janetupnorth said:
They may prescribe a round of antibiotics as a precautionary measure.

I kind of hope so, given my track record of Murphy's Law... (I will always remember that after I had the twins, I ended up in the hospital four times, with various issues. The fourth time, they were doing a scope to see if everything was finally healing, and they told me there was a small chance of me getting pancreatitis from the scope. And I thought, hey, hospital visit #2 was for pancreatitis, so what are the chances I will get it again?? Well, you guessed it, I did get it again, hence hospital visit #4!)

So please cross your fingers for me that Murphy has finally left the building!:eek:

Related to Effective Tick Bite Treatment and Prevention Tips | OT Help

1. What is the most effective treatment for tick bites?

The most effective treatment for tick bites is to remove the tick as soon as possible using fine-tipped tweezers. Grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible and pull upward with steady pressure. Clean the area with soap and water and apply an antiseptic cream to prevent infection.

2. How can I prevent tick bites?

To prevent tick bites, avoid walking in tall grass or wooded areas where ticks are commonly found. Wear light-colored, long-sleeved clothing and tuck your pants into your socks. Use insect repellent containing DEET on exposed skin and check yourself and your pets for ticks after spending time outdoors.

3. What should I do if I find a tick on my body?

If you find a tick on your body, remove it as soon as possible and clean the area with soap and water. Monitor the area for any signs of a rash or infection. If you develop a rash, fever, or other symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

4. Can tick bites cause any serious illnesses?

Yes, tick bites can transmit serious illnesses such as Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and ehrlichiosis. If you experience symptoms such as fever, headache, or body aches after a tick bite, seek medical attention.

5. Are there any natural remedies for tick bites?

While removing the tick and cleaning the area with soap and water is the most effective treatment, some people find relief from tick bites by applying a cold compress or using essential oils like tea tree or lavender. However, these remedies should not replace medical treatment if you experience any symptoms or develop a rash.

Back