• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy Thumbprint Cookie Recipe from Food Network's 12 Days of Cookies

In summary, unsalted butter and all-purpose flour are used in this recipe. I think they are used for flavor and control.
jrstephens
How do you make yours? I got a recipe from 12 Days of Cookies from Food Network. It calls for "unsalted butter" and "all purpose flour." Is there a reason for so many "unsalted" ingredients?

I would love to see how you all make them! I am going to buy groceries tonight and want to get the stuff to make them.

I got that same recipe & wanted to try it too!! I'm not sure why you need unsalted--but I'm sure there's a reason!

"All-Purpose" flour is just regular flour - probably what you would normally buy anyway -( as opposed to bread flour or cake flour - which have higher and lower protein contents to provide a different outcome in the product)
Unsalted butter is often called for in baking - if you use regular salted butter, than just cut down or eliminate the salt called for in the recipe. I usually buy only unsalted butter - it is slightly sweeter in flavor. however, if you use unsalted butter, you can't let it sit out as long as unsalted - the salt acts as a preservative, and keeps the butter fresh longer.

Oh, and for the most part I think bakers and chefs use unsalted butter because they then have better control over the outcome of the product - more control over the seasoning and flavor....if you don't want to use it, I don't think there would be that much of a difference in your cookies,

ThumbprintsHere is a recipe that I got from my mom Years ago. I think its from the first Betty Crocker cookbook she ever owned (circa 1956)

Thumbprint Cookies

Mix throughly

1/2 cup soft shortening (half butter)
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift together and stir in

1 cup sifted Gold Medal flour
1/4 tsp salt

Roll into 1" balls. Dip in slightly beaten egg whites. Roll in finely chopped nuts (3/4 cup). Place about 1" apart on ungreased baking sheet and press thumb into center of each. Bake until set. Cool. Place in thumbprints a bit of chopped candied fruit, sparkling jelly, or tinted confectioners' sugar icing.

Temperature: 375 degrees (quick mod. oven).
Time: Bake 10 to 12 minutes
Amount" about 2 doz. 1 1/2" cookies.

thechefofnorthbend said:
Here is a recipe that I got from my mom Years ago. I think its from the first Betty Crocker cookbook she ever owned (circa 1956)

Thumbprint Cookies

Mix throughly

1/2 cup soft shortening (half butter)
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift together and stir in

1 cup sifted Gold Medal flour
1/4 tsp salt

Roll into 1" balls. Dip in slightly beaten egg whites. Roll in finely chopped nuts (3/4 cup). Place about 1" apart on ungreased baking sheet and press thumb into center of each. Bake until set. Cool. Place in thumbprints a bit of chopped candied fruit, sparkling jelly, or tinted confectioners' sugar icing.

Temperature: 375 degrees (quick mod. oven).
Time: Bake 10 to 12 minutes
Amount" about 2 doz. 1 1/2" cookies.

I'm just curious...I wonder how these would come out if done in the mini muffin pan...hmmmmm;)

pamperedgirl3 said:
I got that same recipe & wanted to try it too!! I'm not sure why you need unsalted--but I'm sure there's a reason!

I bought the stuff for them tonight b/c I did not get to check this before I left. I am going to make them this weekend, and I will let you know how they are.

Darby - yours sounds great too! I may have to try them later! My husband is going to be "cookied" out!

Talk about cookied out--my husband made about 6 or 7 different kinds of cookies last weekend! We have tins upon tins of cookies on the kitchen counter. Then he comes home yesterday with 3 bags of cookies that she made! Luckily he does pass these out to family & takes them to work.

Ginger428 said:
I'm just curious...I wonder how these would come out if done in the mini muffin pan...hmmmmm;)
I make thumbprint cookies too and have made them in the muffin pan - they came out great but I still prefer to make my cookies on a stone - even those.

BethCooks4U said:
I make thumbprint cookies too and have made them in the muffin pan - they came out great but I still prefer to make my cookies on a stone - even those.

OK...thanks for your response Beth..:D

jrstephens said:
How do you make yours? I got a recipe from 12 Days of Cookies from Food Network. It calls for "unsalted butter" and "all purpose flour." Is there a reason for so many "unsalted" ingredients?

I would love to see how you all make them! I am going to buy groceries tonight and want to get the stuff to make them.

Make this instead - use your EAD to fill with jam using star tip. People are dying over this~

Attachments

• ;-) Almond Raspberry Cookies.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 275
I just pulled the Food Network ones out the overn.

They are ok, but they seem too dry to me. They do have a good taste to them, just needs some mor moisture.

And my husband decides to tell me AFTER I fill them ALL with jam that he is not too crazy about jam! :eek: Guess, me and my sone will be eating a lor or some neighbors are going to LOVE me!:D

Thanks for the Almond recipe - I may try these! But my husband just about ruines me on trying new things though when hedoes not eat them and wants to stick with the same old, same old I bake every year.

its_me_susan said:
Make this instead - use your EAD to fill with jam using star tip. People are dying over this~

Now, that sounds so easy and good to make :D Thanks for sharing!

I have made various cookies in the mini muffin pan, I think that they all come out better on the stones and I think that they look prettier, too. IMHO. :)

Q. Why use the EAD for the jam? I have piped it in before, and it just melts into a puddle, regardless. Is there something else that I don't know?

its_me_susan said:

Oh my god!!! I just made these and they are fabulous!!! The best part is they ARE so easy to make.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Related to Easy Thumbprint Cookie Recipe from Food Network's 12 Days of Cookies

1. What are thumbprint cookies?

Thumbprint cookies are small, round cookies that are made by pressing a thumb or finger into the center of the cookie dough, creating an indent. The indent is then filled with a variety of fillings such as jam, chocolate, or nuts.

2. How do I make thumbprint cookies?

To make thumbprint cookies, first, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, mix in flour and any desired flavorings or spices. Roll the dough into small balls and place them on a baking sheet. Use your thumb or finger to press an indent into the center of each cookie. Bake the cookies according to the recipe instructions, and then fill the indent with your desired filling while the cookies are still warm.

3. Can I use any type of filling for thumbprint cookies?

Yes, you can use a variety of fillings for thumbprint cookies. Some popular options include jam, chocolate, caramel, nutella, and even cream cheese. Get creative and try different combinations to find your favorite!

4. How should I store thumbprint cookies?

Thumbprint cookies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. If you are using a filling that needs to be refrigerated, store the cookies in the fridge.

5. Can I freeze thumbprint cookies?

Yes, you can freeze thumbprint cookies. Once the cookies have cooled, place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the cookies at room temperature before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
keynibear
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies