• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Snow Days: A Parent's Perspective on Disrupted School Routine

In summary, Geesh....it seems like at least once a week my kids don't have school cause of snow!! I haven't kept count, but we've missed ALOT this year!!:yuck: I like the routine of having school, it's much harder when all my kids are home.:eek: Anyone else feel this way?? It's totally different than summer, when we can go outside & to the park/beach.....I want WARM SUNSHINE!!!!I don't have any kids, but still my DH and I are kids at heart! I am wishing for a SNOW day! Just
sarahlegare
Geesh....it seems like at least once a week my kids don't have school cause of snow!! I haven't kept count, but we've missed ALOT this year!!:yuck: I like the routine of having school, it's much harder when all my kids are home.:eek: Anyone else feel this way?? It's totally different than summer, when we can go outside & to the park/beach.....I want WARM SUNSHINE!!!!

I don't have any kids, but still my DH and I are kids at heart! I am wishing for a SNOW day! Just love looking at it, just for one day. We had about an inch last night just to be washed away with rain!

Its ok, because DH is working in NY this week, so he won;t be home til Friday! Just me and the cat would be snowed in.

Well enjoy, and I wish I were snowed in.

The city of Madison (Wisconsin) has now surpassed it's record snowfall for a season. (It was even on Drudge yesterday, which is far more ironic than the snow.) Milwaukee is rapidly approaching the 10th record snowfall season, so we're very close to entering the top ten all-time snowfalls.

Last edited:
We're not at record levels in Detroit, but we're already about 8" more than average. Bleah.

In NH, we exceeded the yearly average off of the first 2 storms! It is coming down again this morning! We just got another 6 inches. We have so much snow! It seems like every couple days, more comes down. It's really bizarre... I feel your pain Sarah.

Today is day THREE of no school here. Monday it was called off because it was soooo cold, then yesterday for snow, today for snow/ice. I can't wait till DS (13) goes back.

One of the small towns right near where we live had 3 No School days last week. It's almost all back roads, so I can kinda understand, but geesh!!

My thing with the snow is that while I'm comfortable driving in it, there are some really STUPID drivers out there....one of which kareemed into us 3 years ago & almost killed us all & totaled my 5 day old van!! He fishtailed & hit us head on, then spun around and hit the back of the van too. It was like God was standing outside the van with His arms out to protect me & my Anna (who was only 6 months).

We are also out again today. My name is really fitting me today. We can't really get out because of the ice not so much the snow. The boys are literally eating me out of house and home. Now I can't get to the store. We live out in the sticks so it is hard to travel the winding roads and hills to get there. Good thing I can't get there because I know I would buy a pack if I could get there!
They have now taken their Good Friday. They are already talking about calling off for tomorrow. UGG, by the time this round is over they will be tacking on days at the end of the year.

This is our 3rd snow day which means as of today the kids will get out of school Monday, June 23rd. Last week they called school instead of doing a 2 hour delay because the elementary schools had a 2 hour early release for teacher training the same day. So you couldn't send the kids in 2 hours late because of the snow and then let them out 2 hours early. So the whole town had no school, today we have no school because of about 4 - 6 inching of snow and we did have a little icying, but if they did a delay the kids would be going in now and all it's doing is raining hard.

I used to have an office near to two regional malls, and I used to like to go there at lunch for the food courts and to go to certain stores when there weren't large crowds.All of a sudden, it started to seem like school was never in session, because whenever I went there, the malls were crawling with kids. So I stopped going there.

No school here up in Fitchburg, MA. We got 8 inches of snow and then lots of ice and now it is finally raining. The streets are so flooded, there is no where for all the rain/snow to go.

No school today too... well, they started with a 2 hour delay and even got the jr/sr high kids to school, then called off for elementary and will be sending the older kids home early. I've never had it where the school actually called us to call our kid back in (who was already outside waiting for the bus).. I can't imagine her morning and having to make another 200+ phone calls. And ours is one of the little elems... the big ones would have needed to call for over 700 kids..

sarahlegare said:
Geesh....it seems like at least once a week my kids don't have school cause of snow!! I haven't kept count, but we've missed ALOT this year!!:yuck: I like the routine of having school, it's much harder when all my kids are home.:eek: Anyone else feel this way?? It's totally different than summer, when we can go outside & to the park/beach.....I want WARM SUNSHINE!!!!
This was me 2 weeks ago! A full week of snow days! Ughhhh! We hadn't had one here in 12 years! Most of the time the kids go to school all the time, rain, wind, snow, sub zero temperatures!!!
I wanted to pull my dang hair out!!! so glad we are past that! The warmer temps are slowly coming back here, and now we are in the major melt down. We had record snow fall for January, it was the 4th largest amount of snow in January since they started keeping records!
Good luck!

I feel for all of you - we've only had one snow day this year - so only one extra day at the end of the year (but luckily we're still out of school on June
2nd!) I can't imagine going to school til June 23rd!! When does school start for you guys? We start August 20th!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The city of Madison (Wisconsin) has now surpassed it's record snowfall for a season. (It was even on Drudge yesterday, which is far more ironic than the snow.)

Milwaukee is rapidly approaching the 10th record snowfall season, so we're very close to entering the top ten all-time snowfalls.

WOW! VERY ironic!!!! ;)

Gina M said:
I feel for all of you - we've only had one snow day this year - so only one extra day at the end of the year (but luckily we're still out of school on June
2nd!) I can't imagine going to school til June 23rd!! When does school start for you guys? We start August 20th!
How funny, I couldn't imagine this! I'm on the west coast and even though I didn't grow up in Washington, I was born and raised in Southern California! We don't normally start school out here until right after Labor Day! So usually it's right around Sept 2-6 that they start school and my kids don't get out of school this year until the 13th of June. And this year they may have to go an extra week because of those snow days. They have to check in to what the actual teaching hours are and if there is enough then they won't have to make them up...:grumpy: :rolleyes: I think they should have to make it up! I believe that the kids should have a set amount of time they should be in school and I also believe when kids are sick they should have to make it up in homework or something. That's just me! To me it's good for the kids and teaches them discipline.;) :thumbup:

The kids around here in public school have to be in 180(2) school days. That includes any 1/2 days. Some schools start right before labor day and others right after. So generally it is the 2nd or 3rd week of June that they get out. The calendar always states the 180 days and they have 5 snow days built in so if they use them we go longer and if not we get out earlier.

Here in my town they don't have the 5 snow days built in. It depends on what date Labor Day is on to when we start school. This year we started after Labor Day. School has to be 180 days so before any snow days where used the kids would have gotten out on June 18th. But with using now 3 days we are looking at June 23rd. I am just hoping for no more snow so the kids don't have to get out any later.

Wow - isn't it amazing to see how different school schedules are in different parts of the country? I remember as a kid going to school after Labor Day but I still remember getting out in early June - I remember graduating high school on June 1st. (and that was 22 years ago!) I don't mind getting out early as we always seem to do our family vacation in June and by mid August - the kids are usually ready to get back into school mode (and usually me by then too!) - Although I do love having the kids home for summer break - we always have a fun laid back summer!

I know....I am so ready for spring for sure; maybe even summer & I'm not a heat person. I think our schools have 1 snow day left. (we have that one because we didn't close one day last week when everyone else did)

We've had our 3rd straight day off today, too. And...there's a 4 day weekend coming this weekend, so now we're wondering...will they even bother having school tomorrow?
My son says he feels like he's getting an extra spring break this year!!

Paula

My kids have missed at least 8 days this year. They should have cancelled yesterday, but didn't. Two young girls were driving home from school after basketball practice and got in an accident w/a school bus! It was the young girl's fault (17). She slipped on the roads and hit the school bus head on! She is okay, but her passenger is in the hospital in critical condition with swelling on the brain. It doesn't look good! They had to go in and make a hole in her scull to relieive pressure.

When I went to school we always started after Labor Day and got out before Memorial Day! We never had to make-up snow days and guess what? We survived!! I remember one year we missed about 3 weeks of school!

I think they should have 5 make-up days built in, but then not have to make any up after that. My daughter is a senior this year. She is scheduled to graduate on June 1st. If they miss two more days of school she won't be able to graduate until June 8th!! My MIL is planning on taking her to Germany for graduation on June 5th! I warned her they may have to change the flight, but she didn't list to me!!

I forgot to mention the difficult time the school has been going through. Last week they were off school due to heavy fog. Three boys were at a friends house when one of the boys accidently shot another one. He unfortunately died. The car accident was exactly one week later. It's so sad for these kids. Please pray for them.

Last edited:

Related to Dealing with Snow Days: A Parent's Perspective on Disrupted School Routine

1. How can I keep my child entertained during a snow day?

There are many fun and educational activities you can do with your child during a snow day. Some ideas include building a snowman, making hot cocoa, baking cookies, playing board games, doing a puzzle, or watching a movie together.

2. How can I maintain a sense of structure and routine during a snow day?

It can be challenging to stick to a routine on a snow day, but it's important for children to have consistency. Try to establish a loose schedule for the day, such as breakfast at a certain time, followed by indoor activities, lunch, and then outdoor play if weather permits. This will help your child feel more grounded and less overwhelmed by the disruption to their routine.

3. What can I do if my child is struggling with staying focused on school work during a snow day?

If your child is having a hard time staying focused on school work during a snow day, try breaking up the tasks into smaller chunks and offering rewards or breaks in between. You can also try incorporating fun and interactive elements into the work, such as creating a game or using props to make it more engaging.

4. How can I prepare for a potential snow day in terms of food and supplies?

It's always a good idea to stock up on some essentials before a snow day hits. Make sure you have enough food, snacks, and water for the day, as well as any necessary medications. You may also want to have some fun activities or games on hand in case you're stuck indoors.

5. What should I do if my child's school is closed for multiple snow days in a row?

If your child's school is closed for several consecutive snow days, it's important to establish a routine and stick to it as much as possible. This will help your child feel more comfortable and less anxious about the disruption to their usual routine. You can also reach out to other parents in the community to see if they want to organize a playdate or activity for the children.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Careyann
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Mattheous
  • vanscootin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
  • minirottie