• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conquering Organizational Chaos: Tips for a Clean and Productive Workspace

In summary, the author is an organized person who struggles to keep her desk clean. Every day, her desk can be in a different state and she doesn't know how it happens
esavvymom
Staff member
Does anyone else have the problem with organization?? I feel like I spend so much time organizing my desk. One day it looks great...it may not have things the way I want them for ease of work, but it's at least cleaned off! :)
But then less than 24 hrs later, it's piled high again! I don't know how it happens.

I'm an organized perfectionist trapped in a messy's body!!! :eek:

Oh yes, my husband says I"m the queen of stacking"..but it's not my choice! I have no where to put stuff! LOL

I try to follow the "touch it once" rule.

Everything that I touch, I only touch once. It either goes in the filing cabinet, in a notebook, in the recycle bin, in the trash, or wherever it's designated spot is.

That being said, sometimes I have to operate under the "touch it like 7 times" rule.

:)

Jean DeVries said:
I try to follow the "touch it once" rule.

Everything that I touch, I only touch once. It either goes in the filing cabinet, in a notebook, in the recycle bin, in the trash, or wherever it's designated spot is.

That being said, sometimes I have to operate under the "touch it like 7 times" rule.

:)

I love the rule- if only I wasn't so lazy :p.

I'm a firm supporter of the pilot system.I pilot it over here, pilot over there when it falls over, and todays mail? I pilot over on the credenza.

I am getting ready to implement the binder system outlined in that CD Time Management & Organization. I'm thinking that if I can get it together, it sounds like I should beable to keep track of my whole buisness in 8 binders!

I have made a tremendous improvement since I have started the Power Hour system. It is much better for me than anything I have tried up to this point.

esavvymom said:
Does anyone else have the problem with organization?? I feel like I spend so much time organizing my desk. One day it looks great...it may not have things the way I want them for ease of work, but it's at least cleaned off! :)
But then less than 24 hrs later, it's piled high again! I don't know how it happens.

Oh...those are the clutter fairies. They aren't trying to be mean. They think it's funny. The problem is that they adore paper since it's so easy to pile like a sea. I'm sorry I don't have advice how to tame them.

But truly, if everything REALLY has it's place, it's easier and the one-touch rule is very true. I think a pending file is good IF you actually look at it daily b/c I tend to use that as a way to get stuff off my desk and then don't touch it. I find that buying a new desk, chair, phone, organizational things and such help a lot. Oh...maybe that's the problem...procrastination.

Actually, the best thing is the threat of someone coming to SEE your mess.

Jules711 said:
Oh...those are the clutter fairies. They aren't trying to be mean. They think it's funny. The problem is that they adore paper since it's so easy to pile like a sea. I'm sorry I don't have advice how to tame them.

But truly, if everything REALLY has it's place, it's easier and the one-touch rule is very true. I think a pending file is good IF you actually look at it daily b/c I tend to use that as a way to get stuff off my desk and then don't touch it. I find that buying a new desk, chair, phone, organizational things and such help a lot. Oh...maybe that's the problem...procrastination.

Actually, the best thing is the threat of someone coming to SEE your mess.[/QUOTE]

Boy, do I get this. Why can't I keep the place as clean for myself as I do for someone else?

jrodeo said:
Jules711 said:
Oh...those are the clutter fairies.

Boy, do I get this. Why can't I keep the place as clean for myself as I do for someone else?

This is so true!! My family always says they know when company is coming because our house is so clean!!:rolleyes:

Kelly V.

KellyRedHead said:
jrodeo said:
This is so true!! My family always says they know when company is coming because our house is so clean!!:rolleyes:

Kelly V.

I can really relate to this sooo I invite several different couples (with or without kids, over for dinner or a play date at least twice a month. This MAKES me keep my house clean. LOL

For my office, I can close my door so general company doesn't help THAT area, but I had a friend offer to help my organize (and really just revamp my office to work better since I've just made my current stuff work). I thought...I do NOT want her coming to do stuff I can do (sorting, putting stuff away, getting rid of the surprising amount of garbage...just paper stuff I don't need anymore not icky stuff don't worry:eek:). I devoted several hours to that and really FINALLY got through the piles that I had made, but never went through. I was so happy.

I love to be organized, but life is busy. My commitment this year is to spend money on things that help me STAY organized so that I can MAKE more money b/c I won't spend so much time looking for something. Streamline.

Jules711 said:
<snip for brevity> Oh...maybe that's the problem...procrastination.

Be careful with this one. Procrastination is a label often used on people who are organizationally challenged when it isn't true. True procrastinators never get anything completed, while the organizationally challenged do complete their tasks, just not in a timely fashion. Why? It's because it takes so long to find tools and materials before they can even get started. The organizationally challenged also tend to miss deadlines or not realize a deadline is fast approaching. For this reason, they are labeled "procrastinators" when, in fact, they don't utilize calendars as well as other people.

Trust me, I know this first hand.

jrodeo said:

For the same reason the the shoemaker's children are barefoot.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm a work in progress. :D

I am an organization psycho...LOL. I have actually started helping people organize their home offices and businesses thanks to all of you on here and your feedback. The hardest dilema is people think they need to save everything just in case. Even on their computers...its complete kaos. I try to help people from their computers to their desks, to their binders. People have no idea how much time they waste looking for things. Organization can make or break your business. Its all about the feeling you get when things are in the right spot compared to the hecticness you feel when things are a mess. LOL : )

Jilleysue! So great to see your smiling face again. I've missed you.

Jilleysue said:
I am an organization psycho...LOL. I have actually started helping people organize their home offices and businesses thanks to all of you on here and your feedback. The hardest dilema is people think they need to save everything just in case. Even on their computers...its complete kaos. I try to help people from their computers to their desks, to their binders. People have no idea how much time they waste looking for things. Organization can make or break your business. Its all about the feeling you get when things are in the right spot compared to the hecticness you feel when things are a mess. LOL : )

This is so true. I do tend to hold onto things in that "I may be able to use this later" sense. We are moving soon and I am trying to get rid of anything that I don't use "right now". Wish me luck!

I move every three years (DH in the Navy) so i have to start over every time...never gets organized. Love all the advice on here.

Jilleysue said:

Can you come over to play? :D I really need help in this department. My DD (dear director) came over and moved my office out of my son's room into my less used living room. Now my whole house is still a mess! She wants to come see how much better my new office is working for me. NOT!!!

I have to confess though, I have let my "other" family (mother, sisters and brother) take up my time and I have not been working my business. But really, can you help people over the phone? or do you just have to SEE what they are drowning in? :cry:

I used to be a clean fanatic, but after the boys were born, that went out with the bath water too.

Check out the Office On The Go system from Julie Anne Jones Julie Anne Jones, Your Direct Sales Training Expert I have it, and am still working on getting it going.....but that is all me. It is a great system with CDs to get you trained and going; hot, warm and cold areas; and a way to take it with you on the road when you need to - which is every time we travel!

I am a piler and "do it later" person so I waste a lot of time looking for stuff!

I am definitely a work in progress on this point, but may I just say:

FLYLADY.com

is an incredible resource that can help. Don't get grossed out and prejudge! FLY stands for...
Finally
Loving
Yourself.

I love some of their acronyms...

Chaos = can't have anyone over syndrome

and more. Go check it out, and then go clean your kitchen sink!

Today I spent time with my dad helping him clean his 2nd story windows - I held the ladder and my 4yo DD took the used windex towels and cleaned the bottom half of all the ground-floor windows! Any cleaning blesses your family - even if it is the bottom half of the windows...

scottcooks said:
I am definitely a work in progress on this point, but may I just say:

FLYLADY.com

is an incredible resource that can help. Don't get grossed out and prejudge! FLY stands for...
Finally
Loving
Yourself.

I love some of their acronyms...

Chaos = can't have anyone over syndrome

and more. Go check it out, and then go clean your kitchen sink!

Today I spent time with my dad helping him clean his 2nd story windows - I held the ladder and my 4yo DD took the used windex towels and cleaned the bottom half of all the ground-floor windows! Any cleaning blesses your family - even if it is the bottom half of the windows...

I think one of my favorite acronyms is STUFF - Something That Undermines Family Fun.... very true.

What I really like about flylady is that in the process of getting organized you tend to learn what's really important and to stop beating yourself up when something gets cluttered again.

I tried FLYLady and it was too much for me - even with digest emails!

cmdtrgd said:

Me too, Kate. If I spent as much time "doing" as I did reading their fantastic website...my house would be spotless!!

I have just taken a round onto my house and bull dozed it more than ever. I was making fantastic progress until I stepped down off from the closed toilet lid and my life changed...after I felt and heard a "pop" and sat in agonizing pain...I learned that I had torn a muscle in my calf.

So I then had to cancel company coming over on Sunday but I did manage to hobble to my cluster meeting last night. (I am the director so I have to show them it can be done!)

My office never did get done but it WILL! My boyfriend has been wonderful BUT right now, I know he expects it to all start up again. I need to run errands before one of us BLOWS!!! See ya!

cmdtrgd said:

Me too! I finally decided I just don't want to be that organized.

Either that, or it's my rebellious streak coming through. I really didn't like being told what to do all day long.:p

There should be a class at NC on how to organize! And have like displays to see! Not everyone has a "real" office. I have stuff everywhere. It is just to "see" how to do things.

raebates said:
Jilleysue! So great to see your smiling face again. I've missed you.

Awww Hello to you. Thank you! Yes I am here and stop in to see how people are doing. You all are having fun as usual.

esavvymom said:

This is me ... an organized perfectionist trapped in a messy's body! I like that! I completely sympathize and have no advice!

Susan

lmradlein said:
There should be a class at NC on how to organize! And have like displays to see! Not everyone has a "real" office. I have stuff everywhere. It is just to "see" how to do things.

At least every other year they offer a workshop on this. There are so many different variables for offices and so many different styles of organizing things. It literally is something that is a trial and error "journey". I say journey because I have been on this journey for years and little by little find things that help...but not cure!!

People are different too. Some people are "filers" and some are naturally "pilers". I am a piler and have learned to not beat myself up because of it.

Remember, too, that there's a big difference between organized and neat. I'm a piler, too. I'm also extremely visual. I've figured out a system that works for me. I rarely lose anything and can lay my hands on whatever I need when I need it. I'm just not neat.My mom, on the other hand, is extremely neat. She's terribly unorganized. She can't ever seem to find things (stamps, cards, paperwork, etc.) when she needs them. I've come to terms with who I am. I'm still working on being neater, but I no longer beat myself up.

Related to Conquering Organizational Chaos: Tips for a Clean and Productive Workspace

1. How can I maintain an organized workspace?

Maintaining an organized workspace requires consistent effort and a system that works for you. Start by decluttering your desk and only keeping essential items within reach. Use storage solutions such as trays, bins, and folders to keep items organized and easily accessible. Schedule regular clean-up sessions to prevent piles from accumulating.

2. How can I prevent my desk from getting messy again so quickly?

In addition to maintaining an organized workspace, it is important to identify the root cause of the constant mess. Are you holding onto unnecessary items? Do you have a habit of leaving things out instead of putting them away? Address these underlying issues to prevent the mess from recurring.

3. What are some tips for organizing my desk for ease of work?

Think about your workflow and arrange your desk accordingly. Keep frequently used items within reach and less frequently used items in designated storage areas. Use labels and color-coding to keep things organized and easy to find. Utilize vertical space by using shelves or wall-mounted organizers.

4. How can I balance my desire for perfection with the reality of a messy workspace?

It's important to remember that perfection is not always attainable, especially in a busy and dynamic work environment. Instead of striving for perfection, focus on creating a functional and organized workspace that works for you. Don't be too hard on yourself if things get a little messy at times.

5. What can I do if I struggle with organization despite my best efforts?

If you find yourself constantly struggling with organization, it may be helpful to seek advice from a professional organizer or productivity coach. They can provide personalized tips and strategies to help you conquer organizational chaos and create a more efficient and productive workspace.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• quiverfull7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jules711
  • PampMomof3
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
  • jrstephens