• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chicago Heat Advisory: Stay Cool and Hydrated in the 90's!

In summary, Karlene lives in Chicago and it will be in the 90's all week with dreadful humidity. Yesterday her 2 yo son had heat exhaustion. Please pack appropriately and take extreme caution. Drink plenty of water. They have it available outside all the sessions and workshops. Karlene just wanted to warn you all. It's so unbearable here right now. Sitting here in Indy with the same conditions makes her incredibly thankful that she ended up going to Session 1 this year. She was slated to go to Session 2, but due to family conflicts requested a switch to Session 1. I would have been in a sorry, sorry state if I'd been there now. I very likely would have ended up with heat exhaustion at the very least with
DebbieJ
Hey all,

I live here in Chicago and just wanted to warn you that it will be in the 90's all week with dreadful humidity. It is so hot. I walk out to my car and my body is covered in sweat. Yesterday my 2 yo son had heat exhaustion.

Please pack appropriately and take extreme caution. Drink plenty of water. They have it available outside all the sessions and workshops. I suggest you take a refillable water bottle and fill it up every chance you get.

I just wanted to warn you all. It's so unbearable here right now.

Sitting here in Indy with the same conditions makes me incredibly thankful that I ended up going to Session 1 this year. I was slated to go to Session 2, but due to family conflicts requested a switch to Session 1.

I would have been in a sorry, sorry state if I'd been there now. I very likely would have ended up with heat exhaustion at the very least with all of the walking I did. I am NOT in any kind of decent shape for it!

My sympathies for those of you there now and heading there for Session 3!

Southern Indiana is going to be nasty hot today. Lately, if I have to do anything at all outside, I try to get up as early as possible to do it.

The air went out of our van too, so that has been bad. I have a Cluster Meeting tonight and a show tomorrow night, so I guess I will have to drive a different vehicle.

I'm glad I was in wave 1 too! The 80's were pretty nice; though when we returned to KS, not so nice....it's been about 105 since I got home, & that's supposed to continue all this week:(

Wave 2 was great, I think Saturday was the hottest. What I didn't like is the hotels and stores seemed to keep their temp at 60, it was a huge shock to walk from outside and into the hotel, I would have to carry a jacket.Lacy, I flew into Sacramento yesterday and it was 103, and I have been told it is suppose to be that way the rest of the week.

pamperedalf said:
Wave 2 was great, I think Saturday was the hottest. What I didn't like is the hotels and stores seemed to keep their temp at 60, it was a huge shock to walk from outside and into the hotel, I would have to carry a jacket.

Lacy, I flew into Sacramento yesterday and it was 103, and I have been told it is suppose to be that way the rest of the week.

OK, so you won the shopping spree? How AWESOME:D Weren't you the one before conference on here saying how you were going to win? Talk about positive thinking cause it worked! Let us know when you get all those boxes!

Last week during Wave 1, a bunch of us walked 15 - 20 blocks on the last free afternoon, down the "Magnificent Mile" to all the shops and took in the sights. It is a beautiful city and the weather was awesome. We all kept saying how we felt for the Wave 3 people cuz we knew the heat was coming. :( :(

just got back...another director and I took a much needed "extra" day (Sunday) and took in all the sites!!! We started at 11am at a big Cathedral for mass, and then walked just about everywhere!! Put on over 12 miles yesterday!!!! The Free trolleys around time did save us, as well as the $2.00 public bus!!! We had that figured out to a tea by the time we left...Had a great time meeting the cheffers I did on Wave TWo.....especially Linda Childs!!! Had fun running into so often! Saw many "surprise" sites out in the streets, such as a gal "peeing" right on the sidewalk in front of over 300 people heading to the "Gay Game Opener Nite" at Soldier field on sat. nite...then there was the guy who jumped right out in front of us while crossing a street and tried to scare us...then a cute little young couple went walking by us and she whispered, " we just got engaged and had to tell someone". Yesterday David Schwimmer (Ross, from friends) walked right by us yesterday so I took a pic!!!!!!
Had a blast!!! Can't wait til next year...i recommend you take an extra day before or after conference to see Chicago..
Oh yea...went to American Girl, Ate at Bubba Gumps at Navy Pier, got a beer and nachos in the Rock Bottom Brewery, visited the Hersey store, and took in some quaint little boutique shops!!!
Wow what a trip!!
Can you tell I'm pumped!!!!
karlene

Hey Karlene so does your girl know how much her shopping spree totaled? I can't believe I was only 1 number away, just my luck, lol. Did she tell her hubby she went shopping? We went for a walk Saturday afternoon from the hotel down to Navy Pier also crossed through the Park by the Buckingham ? fountain and there were at least 3 wedding parties running around there taking pictures, maybe 4, but at least 3, I felt so sorry for them in those HOT tuxes and dresses. We took an architectural tour on the river at 8 and it was the most AWESOME time to take it, we left when the sun was going down so we saw it in the light, then we came back when the lights were all turned on on the buildings. I highly recommend it, it was such a relaxing and beautiful tour. It was only supposed to be an hour and it went about 15-20 minutes over. I will have to start posting my notes from classes as soon as I get all caught up on this board.

OMG I can't believe you saw a woman peeing on the sidewalk!!! I am so glad I didn't see that, I would have never made it back to the hotel that night, I would have been rollin on the ground all night laughing not able to breathe. LOL.

Hi Girlies!

It was so much fun meeting Karlene, Jennifer & Sue - I know there were others, I just can't remember your names right now....please forgive!

As far as the heat goes, I live in Georgia so for me it wasn't all that hot up there, kind of a nice change for me! Definitely not as humid as it is here either.

OMG Karlene....I can't believe the girl went potty right there for all to see! There were definitely some sites to behold - but since I live in Atlanta, I pretty much see some of those sites on a regular basis!

I arrived Wednesday afternoon and met some gals for pizza (Giodanos...WOW!). Had to leave Saturday evening so I didn't get to see anything else. However, our bus driver did get lost bringing us back after the Directors dinner (how can a bus driver get lost between the Sheraton & Hilton?!). Anyhow, it took us about 45 minutes to get back - and we almost took out a bridge support near the Palmer House - so I did get a mini city tour.

Good to meet everyone!

Linda

We ate at Giodanos too - OMG awesome deepdish pizza and great service!

I wanted to eat there, just didn't get there. But we did eat at Dick's the first night, definetly interesting.:)

Giordano's. Isn't it yummy? I can get it any time I want. :p

I so wish we would have made plans to all meet up the Thursday night for dinner because all I did was walk around a little bit by myself since roomy didn't want to go anywhere (she went to the grocery store and got a sandwich) and I ended up getting some funky chicken, will never eat at that place again, ughh. I wish I would have known ahead of time that we weren't doing dinner with our cluster that night :-/

But we did eat at Dick's the first night, definetly interesting.

We have that in NC too - LOLOLOLOL!

We were at Dick's Saturday night while our Directors were at their banquet - what a hoot. The gals next to us were collecting empty beer cans from all the servers and stacking them so that when their Directors joined them, it looked like they had been drinking all night. We all brought our "hats" home so that the other folks in our clusters could see the fun side of conference! ;)

loreedfk We were at Dick's Saturday night while our Directors were at their banquet - what a hoot. The gals next to us were collecting empty beer cans from all the servers and stacking them so that when their Directors joined them, it looked like they had been drinking all night. We all brought our "hats" home so that the other folks in our clusters could see the fun side of conference!

I wish I would of just went and got a drink after all. I sat in the room and watched pirates of the caribeen because I didn't actually meet anyone who was directorless. I kept debating to go get a drink, but wasn't sure I should go there by myself. Their Margaritas were good!

I sat in the room and watched pirates of the caribeen

If I had known, I would have called you and invited you along - we picked up a few other directorless individuals along the way!

Ah well next time, I learned we need definite plans. I kept looking at all the people coming on the shuttle from PA, to see if I could meet up with you. No luck!

Related to Chicago Heat Advisory: Stay Cool and Hydrated in the 90's!

1. What is a heat advisory and why is it important to be aware of in Chicago?

A heat advisory is a notice issued by the National Weather Service when the combination of heat and humidity could potentially be dangerous for human health. In Chicago, where summers can be hot and humid, it is important to be aware of heat advisories to take precautions and stay safe.

2. How is a heat advisory different from a heat warning?

A heat advisory is issued when the heat index (a measure of how hot it feels when humidity is factored in) is expected to reach between 100-104 degrees Fahrenheit. A heat warning, on the other hand, is issued when the heat index is expected to reach 105 degrees or higher. Both should be taken seriously, but a heat warning indicates more extreme conditions.

3. What are some common signs and symptoms of heat-related illnesses?

Heat-related illnesses, such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke, can manifest in symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, headache, muscle cramps, and a rapid, weak pulse. In severe cases, it can lead to loss of consciousness and even death. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

4. How can I stay safe during a heat advisory in Chicago?

To stay safe during a heat advisory in Chicago, it is important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and avoiding sugary or alcoholic beverages. Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing and try to limit outdoor activities during the hottest part of the day. If you must be outside, take frequent breaks in the shade or air conditioning.

5. What can I do to help prevent heat-related illnesses?

To prevent heat-related illnesses, it is important to follow the tips mentioned above, such as staying hydrated and avoiding excessive heat exposure. Additionally, check on elderly or vulnerable individuals who may be at higher risk for heat-related illnesses. It is also important to never leave children or pets in a hot car, even for a short period of time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ragschef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies