• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has Anyone Tried Making Caribbean Meat-Filled Pastries?

In summary, anyone experimented with this recipe yet? The recipe is labor intensive and expensive, but many of the ingredients can be used multiple times. Some people found the chutney in the ethic food section.
scottcooks
Gold Member
Anyone experimented with this recipe yet?

I'll report back tonight - we are having a Bon Voyage party for our director, everyone is making a new recipe.

So far - it was kind of spendy, $25.36 for ingredients. But - many of those you'll use 2-3-4 times. Olives - needing 1/4 cup; Chutney - needing 2 tablespoons.

I had a hard time finding Masa de Harina - it is the flour used to make tortillas with. Finally found it in Albertson's - our Northwest chain. Quaker had a big 10 lb. bag for $3.75, I got a 5 lb. bag for $3.23 thinking I won't be using all that much.

I'll let you know how they taste. Lots of flavorful ingredients! I'm thinking it could show a TON of tools and cookware.

I have made this recipe but I used the premade pastry to save on time. They were good, we enjoyed them. Wouldn't make them all the time in our house but good.

I haven't tried these yet, but reading through the recipe, it seems like something that would be good for a "been there, done that" crowd, and would be better with a LOT of prep done ahead.

Yes - was a LOT of prep. You're basically making a pie crust dough from scratch, then a meat filling, then artfully shaping them into the dough.

Take their suggestion on using biscuit dough, or even try pie crust dough. Was VERY tasty, but would require a lot of prep ahead of time to be short enough for a demo. I spent 35 minutes making filling, making pastry, rolling dough, cutting dough, stuffing pastries, and only made HALF. It made a lot more than 9 - that was a bonus.

Prep ahead:
-make your pastry and maybe even have it rolled-out on baking parchment
-brown your sausage
-cook your onion and pepper mix - though that is a wonderful aroma for a show.
-perhaps even assemble MOST of the pastries, just do the last 1 or 2 at the show.

So did they taste yummy though?That is what I want to know!! LOL:D

where have you found the chutney? I am having a hard time finding it here.

We, we actually I, made these at our training this month. Very, very labor intensive. They came out very pretty, and everyone said they were great. I didn't try them because I don't eat sausage. I started them a little after 7 and finally got them in the oven at 8:30.

This could be a pricy recipe. If you aren't a regular use of Masa de H, chutney, etc, that will add up. I could only find a good size bag of the Masa and that was $5, the chutney was close to $5, and then all the other stuff.

But then again, everyone said they were tasty.

Someone made these for our cluster meeting & she used refrigerated biscuits (or as I call them, the "whack 'em biscuits" b/c you whack them on the counter to open the can).

It is fantastic, delicious, just a lot of work. I'd seriously consider using the grands biscuit shortcut they suggest, just to save time.

dollfangs said:
where have you found the chutney? I am having a hard time finding it here.

I found the chutney in the ethic food section with the British foods, you might also find it with the indian foods.

Great! I'm making these for a show tonight and this thread has me scared!!!

*Very, very labor intensive*

Any other tips for me?

Ethnic stores are great places (if available in your area) for the ingredients and far less costly too.

On this same subject, does anyone have any other recipes using Masa Harina? I've got a huge 5lb. bag now that I'm afraid will mostly go to waste.

I never attempted to make the pastry. I did the cheater version with the refrigerated biscuits. They are mighty tasty!! I've done them for an open house and as a demo.

I made these using the biscuits and it was still kind of time consuming. I didn't try them because I do not like pineapple, but everyone at the show loved them.

I made them and I thought they were okay. They do take a lot of time (well, most recipes I do for the first time take forever) but the guests were thinking about everything that could go inside of them.

1. What are the main ingredients in Caribbean meat filled pastries?

The main ingredients in Caribbean meat filled pastries are ground meat (usually beef or pork), onions, garlic, bell peppers, and various spices such as thyme, cumin, and paprika. The dough is typically made with flour, butter, and water.

2. Are Caribbean meat filled pastries spicy?

The level of spiciness in Caribbean meat filled pastries can vary depending on the recipe and personal preference. Some recipes may call for the addition of hot peppers or hot sauce, while others may have a milder flavor. It is best to check the recipe or ask the chef for the level of spiciness.

3. Can I use a different type of meat for the filling?

Yes, you can use a different type of meat for the filling such as chicken, lamb, or even seafood. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly and ensure that the meat is fully cooked before assembling the pastries.

4. How do I properly seal the pastries?

To properly seal the pastries, make sure to use a generous amount of filling in the center of the dough. Then, fold the dough in half and seal the edges by pressing them together with a fork. You can also use a little bit of water to help the edges stick together.

5. Can I freeze Caribbean meat filled pastries?

Yes, you can freeze Caribbean meat filled pastries before or after baking them. If freezing before baking, make sure to thaw them in the fridge before baking. If freezing after baking, let them cool completely before placing them in an airtight container and freezing. To reheat, simply place them in the oven or air fryer until heated through.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • kitchenqueen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kitchenqueen
  • janetupnorth