• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can anyone provide insight on grad schools in OH, MI, IL, IN, or WI?

Both Concordia and Miami will cost more than a state college of course! While you are looking although expensive, don't leave out Purdue.
chefbritt
I'm currently looking at grad schools, and have found quite a few in Ohio and surrounding states. Right now I'm in school in NH, which is where I've lived my whole life. I feel the need to see another part of the country and get away from New England for a few years before I settle down somewhere permanently. At this point I'm very open to ideas and locations, because I'm still early in the search process. I am also looking at some schools in the south as well.

If anyone is from any of these areas or has info about the school or town that would help me, I'd appreciate it. I'm not familiar with the towns, so I would love to know how big they are, if it is more of a city or small town atmosphere, etc. Any info you can give me. I'm trying to narrow down my list before I plan any visits, because as you can see it is quite large right now. So here are the schools I've begun to look at:

Miami university
Oxford, OH

Ball state university
Muncie, IN

Illinois state university
Normal, IL

Kent state university
Kent, OH

Bowling green state university
Bowling green, OH

Concordia university Wisconsin
Mequon, WI

Spring Arbor University
Spring Arbor, MI

Spring Arbor is most definitely a small town.....but it is an EXCELLENT College!

I've know many amazing people who have come through Spring Arbor.

Illinois State is in the middle of Illinois. Bloomington/Normal is kinda of a city atmosphere, but there is nothing surrounding there that is very exciting.

DebbieJ said:
Illinois State is in the middle of Illinois. Bloomington/Normal is kinda of a city atmosphere, but there is nothing surrounding there that is very exciting.

That's good to know. Illinois state is at the bottom of my list, but I didn't want to rule it out just yet, because it's really hard to get an idea for what it's like just based on the website.

chefbritt said:
I'm currently looking at grad schools, and have found quite a few in Ohio and surrounding states. Right now I'm in school in NH, which is where I've lived my whole life. I feel the need to see another part of the country and get away from New England for a few years before I settle down somewhere permanently. At this point I'm very open to ideas and locations, because I'm still early in the search process. I am also looking at some schools in the south as well.

If anyone is from any of these areas or has info about the school or town that would help me, I'd appreciate it. I'm not familiar with the towns, so I would love to know how big they are, if it is more of a city or small town atmosphere, etc. Any info you can give me. I'm trying to narrow down my list before I plan any visits, because as you can see it is quite large right now. So here are the schools I've begun to look at:

Miami university
Oxford, OH

Ball state university
Muncie, IN

Illinois state university
Normal, IL

Kent state university
Kent, OH

Bowling green state university
Bowling green, OH

Concordia university Wisconsin
Mequon, WI

Spring Arbor University
Spring Arbor, MI

First, what field/master's program are you looking at?

I'm familiar with Concordia - had friends go there, played softball against them, know the area well. You are only minutes from KG there! ;)

I also know people who graduated from Miami University in Ohio.

I'm also noticing you've found some expensive private colleges in the list too! :)

janetupnorth said:
First, what field/master's program are you looking at?

I'm familiar with Concordia - had friends go there, played softball against them, know the area well. You are only minutes from KG there! ;)

I also know people who graduated from Miami University in Ohio.

I'm also noticing you've found some expensive private colleges in the list too! :)

Lol, yeah, I haven't gotten as far as looking at costs yet, so I'm sure that will help me narrow down the list real quick when I do.

I'm looking at something in the area of Child and Family Studies, Family and Consumer Sciences, or Education. My bachelor's will be in Family Studies. Concordia and Miami are at the top of my list, although like I said, I haven't looked at costs yet.

chefbritt said:
Lol, yeah, I haven't gotten as far as looking at costs yet, so I'm sure that will help me narrow down the list real quick when I do.

I'm looking at something in the area of Child and Family Studies, Family and Consumer Sciences, or Education. My bachelor's will be in Family Studies. Concordia and Miami are at the top of my list, although like I said, I haven't looked at costs yet.

Both Concordia and Miami will cost more than a state college of course!

While you are looking although expensive, don't leave out Purdue.

You may also want to consider State College too...
In Wisconsin you have University of Wisconsin - Madison, Stevens Point and Stout that would cover those. I have a Master's Degree from Stout, not a bad school at all. :)

Good luck looking! If cost is a factor, look for a GOOD state college...if not so much, check out the private ones and financial aid.

My undergraduate degrees are both from MSOE and although not cheap, I wouldn't trade that education for the world!!!!

I'm certainly not against state colleges, I'm at one now. It's just that when I was looking, all the state schools seemed like they were in huge cities, and while I'm okay with small cities, I don't really want to be at a big one.

Be warned about Concordia, though, you're in Mequon, which is an upscale, yuppie area. The good news, the school, is east of I-43, on the lake shore and in a beautiful setting. Here's the Virtual Earth view of Concordia University and the matching Bird's Eye View. The bad news: It is not within walking distance of much of anything.

Thanks, KG

By the way, I did some work at Bowling Green last Summer. It is also a beautiful campus and it is right in town, on the main drag. If you have a car, you're seconds from the Interestate and not that far away from Toledo and Detroit, in case you need a dose of larger towns.Concordia is 25 minutes (by car) from downtown Milwaukee.

Ball State is known as the "party school" here in Indiana. I wouldn't let my (son to be college bound) son even think about it...not sure about the Grad School part, though.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
By the way, I did some work at Bowling Green last Summer. It is also a beautiful campus and it is right in town, on the main drag. If you have a car, you're seconds from the Interestate and not that far away from Toledo and Detroit, in case you need a dose of larger towns.

Concordia is 25 minutes (by car) from downtown Milwaukee.

25 minutes isn't bad, but from the looks of the bird's eye view, Concordia doesn't have anything close by. So is it really that isolated? To go to the grocery store, grab a cup of coffee, etc. you'd have to drive a ways? That might be a bit too small for me, although it does look beautiful. I grew up in a very rural area, so while I'm not ready to move into a big city, I would like there to at least be a bit of a town. I've never lived anywhere where you could get to town without drive a good 20-30 minutes, so that would be nice for a change.

jwpamp said:
Ball State is known as the "party school" here in Indiana. I wouldn't let my (son to be college bound) son even think about it...not sure about the Grad School part, though.

Wow, see, this is why I posted on here. Websites tell you little about what the atmosphere is actually like. I don't drink, so that doesn't really appeal to me at all. Although, I currently attend UNH, which was ranked number 7 in top party school's of the nation, so what can I say.

chefbritt said:
25 minutes isn't bad, but from the looks of the bird's eye view, Concordia doesn't have anything close by. So is it really that isolated? To go to the grocery store, grab a cup of coffee, etc. you'd have to drive a ways? That might be a bit too small for me, although it does look beautiful. I grew up in a very rural area, so while I'm not ready to move into a big city, I would like there to at least be a bit of a town. I've never lived anywhere where you could get to town without drive a good 20-30 minutes, so that would be nice for a change.
Zoom out. Concordia is two and a half miles from one of the major yuppie shopping areas in greater Milwaukee. Starschmucks, Panera, Chez Ronae's (with the golden arches, you know) and you name it - they've got it. Zoom out on the satillite photo, follow Highland west to Post Washington Road and scroll south for two miles. You can't believe the restaurants, coffee shops, banks, book stores, shoe stores, Office Cheapo...I hate to go there because of all the traffic.Besides, how can you not like a school that borders a golf course called, "Missing Links"?

janetupnorth said:
If you are avoiding party schools - avoid Madtown (Madison). It is definitely a party town and quite liberal overall - the opposite of Mequon.

If you are looking for small areas, check out UW-Stout! Website should be: University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's Polytechnic University
UW Madison always used to win the Playboy Magazine #1 Party School ranking. One year, it dropped off with an asterisk. The footnote? "This is an amateur ranking."

I agree with KG, Mequon is a yuppie area, but beautiful! I've played softball there, visited there, one of my professors lived in Mequon on the edge of the golf course - beautiful house. Yuppie, but close to MANY things! Not that quiet or secluded!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
UW Madison always used to win the Playboy Magazine #1 Party School ranking. One year, it dropped off with an asterisk. The footnote? "This is an amateur ranking."

That was around the time I was going to college - I wanted to go there for Chemical Engineering. Dad said, "There is NO WAY I am ALLOWING you to go there." So, I looked and found MSOE and went into Industrial Engineering.

Years later, I thought a few things:
1. I'm sure glad I went to MSOE.
2. Why did I let Dad keep me away from Madison? After all, he always told us if we wanted to go to college, we had to work and pay for it ourselves! That I did!
3. It all worked out in the end because my life would have been very different with a CE degree.

janetupnorth said:
I agree with KG, Mequon is a yuppie area, but beautiful! I've played softball there, visited there, one of my professors lived in Mequon on the edge of the golf course - beautiful house.

Yuppie, but close to MANY things! Not that quiet or secluded!
My upline director has one of her homes right there - you have to remember that my view is skewed a bit. That was part of my cruisin' area when I was growing up, when that was still all cornfields with round barns and lots of charm.

I liked UW Stevens Point for my B.S. - I'm actually wearing my sweatshirt right now. I also know a lot of people that like Concordia. I work at the Home Depot about 10 miles North of there and we have quite a few part timers that are going to Concordia.

KG do you ever shop at Home Depot in Grafton?? Maybe we've met.

Madison used to be my favorite place to go for Halloween. That was before the riots, though. The streets were blocked off and everyone was in costumes and having a good time.

Sorry, Niki, it's too far away. I've got a Home Cheapo less than four miles from my home, along with Farm & Barn, Wally World, Neu's Supply Line and Neu's Building Center. (If Harvey Neu doesn't have it, you don't need it.)

What about University of Illinois? Doris funded a great new building there.

If you don't mind being four hours from anything.

janetupnorth said:
If you are avoiding party schools - avoid Madtown (Madison). It is definitely a party town and quite liberal overall - the opposite of Mequon.

If you are looking for small areas, check out UW-Stout! Website should be: University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's Polytechnic University

Janet, since you mentioned cost, I've been looking at tuiton rates, and UW-Stout is pretty pricey for out of state tuition, actually worse than Concordia and some of the others. Although it does look like a nice school, so I will add it to my list to possibly visit.

DebbieJ said:
What about University of Illinois? Doris funded a great new building there.

They have a P.H.D. program in what I'm looking for, but not a master's.

chefbritt said:
Janet, since you mentioned cost, I've been looking at tuiton rates, and UW-Stout is pretty pricey for out of state tuition, actually worse than Concordia and some of the others. Although it does look like a nice school, so I will add it to my list to possibly visit.

I think you may be able to move, establish your residency as WI and get the reduced rate...you'll have to check that.

I'm REALLY surprised it is more than Concordia! My Master's program was very reasonable!

It is a nice little town. If you head there at all yell my way later, I can get you hospitality fairly close by in my ED's downline.

I have lived in Muncie all my life, and have my undergrad from Ball State, and am currently working on my graduate degree in education. Ball State's reputation as a "party school" is greatly overexaggerated these days. It was SO true back in the 80's (believe me--I partied there more when I was in high school then when I was actually a college student). The last couple of administrations have greatly cracked down on parties. The fraternities are highly policed and have been sanctioned for any known improper behavior. So, please don't let the "party school" reputation deter you. It's actually become a quite boring campus, in my opinion, since I was around during it's heyday.

You mentioned Consumer Sciences or Education as your possible focal points. For that reason, you should greatly consider Ball State. Our Teachers College is consistently ranked quite high in the nation. We also have many other great programs. I think Ball State is a great university, and we offer many masters and Ph.D./Ed.D. programs.

Muncie is Muncie. It's a mix between small town and big city. We were very much a blue collar/factory town, but most of the larger factories have gone out. We have a wide range of neighborhoods, and the downtown has been going through a revitalization process lately. Many older buildings have been converted into very nice apartments. Transportation is fairly accessible. Parking on campus isn't too bad. We have several commuter lots. In terms of cultural attractions, the university brings in a wide array of entertainment acts throughout the year, we have a civic theatre, 2 large movie theatres, bowling, and the other typical activities, and we are literally the restaurant capital of the state! I think we have the highest ratio of restaurants to people in the state. A little bit of everything. Plus, we have Hoosier Hospitality! Most people are very friendly.

So, there's a current view of Muncie and Ball State. Check into literature and go through the website. I find it very helpful and informative. Best of luck with all your pursuits.

Tammy

I grew up in Champaign-Urbana, where the U of Illinois is. They have a great Early Childhood dept. (I am a U of I grad) My godfather likes to say "there is no culture south of I-80". I tend to agree with him! C-U can be a great place to live, easy to get in to and out of.

I spent 2 years at Miami of Ohio. Expensive, Greek and tends to be fairly snotty. This is my impression, sorry in advance if I've offended anyone! Having said that, they too have a good Early Childhood dept.

I've lived in Ohio all my life. I grew up about thirty minutes from Bowling Green and several of my friends went there. It's a good school in a small town but not too far from much larger cities (Toledo and Detroit) so you get a bit of both worlds. I looking into going to Kent State but decided against it. Its a very good school but was a little farther from home than I wanted to go. I went to Miami University for a year majoring in education but transferred when I changed my major. I liked it but it can be very snooty.

My husband and I both went to UC ( University of Cincinnati)for college and grad school and it is a great school, but Cincy is not all that exciting. My friend went to IU for grad school and loved it.
Good Luck!! :)

BG is a great school and the town is very BGSU oriented but it is a party school as well. So lots of parties all over all the time weather you like that or not.

my BIL is the director of international studies &/or geography at Miami University

If you like the idea of Ohio, I would offer the University of Akron as a school to consider. It's very close to the highway, and is located right down the street from the police department, so I felt very safe letting my daughter attend there.

My son is a senior, and he is planning to stay at home and attend Youngstown State University, which is actually a nice school as well!

Youngstown is pretty well centered between Cleveland AND Pittsburgh AND Akron, which is really nice if you want a change of scenery.

Also, I live in Boardman, a suburb just southeast of town, (10 or 15 minute drive) so would be happy to have you at our cluster meetings!!

Good luck on your search!

Paula

1. What is the general atmosphere in these towns where the grad schools are located?

The towns where these grad schools are located vary in size and atmosphere. Oxford, OH is a small college town with a population of about 22,000. Muncie, IN is slightly larger with a population of about 69,000. Normal, IL is a medium-sized town with a population of about 54,000. Kent, OH is a small college town with a population of about 30,000. Bowling Green, OH is a larger college town with a population of about 31,000. Mequon, WI is a small town with a population of about 24,000. Spring Arbor, MI is a small town with a population of about 2,100.

2. Are these locations more city or small town?

As mentioned above, the locations vary in size and atmosphere. While some are small college towns, others are medium-sized towns with a mix of urban and suburban elements. None of the locations are considered major cities.

3. Can you provide any information about the grad schools themselves?

Miami University in Oxford, OH is a public research university with a strong focus on undergraduate education. Ball State University in Muncie, IN is a public research university with over 300 undergraduate and graduate programs. Illinois State University in Normal, IL is a public university known for its teacher education programs. Kent State University in Kent, OH is a public research university with a strong focus on graduate education. Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH is a public research university with a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs. Concordia University Wisconsin in Mequon, WI is a private Lutheran university with a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs. Spring Arbor University in Spring Arbor, MI is a private Christian university with a focus on liberal arts education.

4. How do these grad schools compare to each other?

Each of these grad schools has its own unique strengths and areas of focus. Some may have stronger programs in certain areas, while others may have a larger variety of programs. It is recommended to research each school individually and determine which one aligns best with your academic and career goals.

5. Are there any other grad schools in these states that I should consider?

There are many other grad schools in these states that may be worth considering. Some other options in Ohio include Ohio State University, University of Cincinnati, and Case Western Reserve University. In Indiana, there is Purdue University, Indiana University, and Butler University. In Illinois, there is Northwestern University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Loyola University Chicago. In Wisconsin, there is University of Wisconsin-Madison, Marquette University, and Milwaukee School of Engineering. In Michigan, there is University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and Wayne State University. It is recommended to research and consider a variety of options before making a decision.

Back