• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boycotting Walmart: Why They Said No to Lions Club Christmas Trees

In summary, Walmart has told the McMinnville Lions Club that they can no longer sell Christmas trees in the store's parking lot due to corporate policy. This decision has sparked outrage among locals, who see it as a hindrance to their annual fundraising efforts. However, Walmart will continue to allow other organizations to solicit donations and sell items in designated areas. The Lions Club has found a new location to sell their trees, but some members feel hurt by the store's decision. Many people have already stopped shopping at Walmart for various reasons, including their tactics to build a store near a historical site.
lockhartkitchen
This was in my local paper today:

Walmart says no to Lions Club Christmas trees in its lot

First the store evicted the Yamhill County Action Partnership's annual giving tree. Now it is has told the McMinnville Lions Club it may no longer sell trees from the store's expansive parking lot.

The move was not a local choice, according to corporate spokeswoman Deisha Galberth. It simply reflects more consistent enforcement of existing corporate policy.

" Read on... unbelievable. Trees to help the over 16% unemployed people in my county will no longer have that because Walmart wants to keep the shopping area " clear of congestion and distractions". Bah humbug. How many of us have seen the numerous commercials recently. They just want more money. We will have many children out of presents this year, without the Walmart Christmas tree location. I will be out on Black Friday boycotting this store. I encourage everyone who feels this is an outrage, to pass this article on to everyone they know, and encourage a boycott of Walmart.

During the past year, the chain has tried to streamline the shopping experience for its customers, Galberth said, and that means keeping the store's shopping area and parking lot clear of congestion and distractions.

Groups interested in selling fireworks or holding car washes in the Walmart parking lot will not be welcome next summer either, she said. They involve fundraising and soliciting, which have never squared with corporate policy, even though they have been allowed in some locations.

However, the store will continue to allow Salvation Army bellringers to solicit donations, and members of the Girl Scouts to sell cookies, in the vestibule or along the sidewalk directly in front of the store, Galberth said. Unlike the store's sales floor and parking lot, that area is subject to local discretion, she said.

The Lions Club has sold its trees from the Walmart parking lot for about 10 years, according to McMinnville banker Todd Caster, who has been serving on the service club's Christmas tree committee for about 25 years. Sales were conducted from space fronting Highway 99W, far from the store entrance, he said.

Mike Colvin came to the rescue, inviting the club to set up shop down the highway at the Chuck Colvin Auto Center. He even agreed to clear the area to permit unobstructed sales.

However, Caster said Walmart wouldn't even allow him to post a sign in the club's usual location to tell customers the operation had moved to the auto dealership. He fears that could cut into the take from one of the club's most important fundraisers.

Caster said the Lions Club had always maintained a cordial relationship with the store. He said people who bought their trees from the club often went on into the store to purchase ornaments and decorations.

"We were stymied, because we weren't going to go around (the store manager) and take on Walmart," he said. He said the move had left the club with some bruised feelings.

Galberth said there is no chance the company is going to reverse its decision on parking lot activities, but said it would welcome the Lions to stage a fundraising effort along its sidewalk space during a different season. She said the local manager would be calling to explore interest and options.

I'm NEVER gonna boycott Wal-Mart. I LOVE them!!!

Our Lion's Club is still selling trees in the Wal-Mart lot.

I'd boycott them Julie...except I already no longer shop there. They lost me forever when they started fighting to build a mega-store adjacent to the Wilderness Battlefield in Virginia. It probably seems minor to a lot of folks, but I just found the idea (and their hardball tactics) incredibly disrespectful on too many levels. I made my last WM purchase about six months ago.

Anyway, my sympathies to what you are experiencing. Kudos to your local car dealership stepping up to the plate.

I detest WM and don't shop there. The company has turned nothing but greedy since Sam Walton died and his money hungry kids took over. I worked for WM in the early 80s and it was a good place - not any more.

legacypc46 said:
I'd boycott them Julie...except I already no longer shop there. They lost me forever when they started fighting to build a mega-store adjacent to the Wilderness Battlefield in Virginia. It probably seems minor to a lot of folks, but I just found the idea (and their hardball tactics) incredibly disrespectful on too many levels. I made my last WM purchase about six months ago.

Anyway, my sympathies to what you are experiencing. Kudos to your local car dealership stepping up to the plate.

Same here. For different, but similar reasons.

I don't shop there either, I don't care how much money I can save. The only time I ever step foot in there is if I need something for a craft project for my girl scout troop and I can't get it at Target or JoAnn's and I don't have time to make it to Michael's which is about 45 mins away each way.

Hmmm....our loval WalMart stopped carrying 3 local brands of food -- 2 companies make Potato Chips and one makes Ice Cream. They both had large spaces in our local WalMart. The 3 companies supply jobs to hundreds of local residents.

Shame on them.

legacypc46 said:

Do you live in VA? If so, where?

What doesn't make sense to me, is how allowing trees and customers in a far corner of the parking lot causes congestion, but letting a crowd build in front of the store to buy Girl Scout cookies is more acceptable? AND, it's still fundraising. Either this is against policy, or it's not, and if it's not, then neither is selling Christmas trees. I think the issue here is more - the trees are a) too far away, so we're not guaranteed those people will come in to shop or b) they want to people to buy Christmas trees from them, and think the Lions Club is too much competition.

I live in Florida, but I went to HS in Northern Virginia. More important for me, is that my great-grandfather/great-great-grandfather* fought there during the Civil War and wrote about it extensively in his memoirs. We grew up with a strong sense of family history.

* I always struggle on how to refer to him. Biologically, he was my great-great-grandfather. We lost a generation though, when his daughter died of typhoid and her husband was killed a couple years later in a train accident. My great-great-grandfather and his wife then adopted my grandmother...thereby causing him to also become my great-grandfather. Confusing, huh? What is cool, is that my Mom was raised in the same house with them, so we've captured a lot of our family's history.

I ALWAYS boycott walmart. In my eyes they are un-American. More of the stuff they sell comes from overseas than right here in the USA. That bothers me to no end. I am also boycotting Sams Club (owned by walmart) because of RUDE customer service people. They all stink! Don't give them your hard earned cash, they care nothing for you/USA.

I boycot Walmart and Sam's club also. I agree, they are greedy and they care nothing for you/USA.

Oh, I am not trying to start anything, but this is a hot button topic for me!!
I work for a produce company that distributes to WM, and they have unethical business practices, they are giant bullies. I avoid WM stores like the plague, but it's because of the things I deal with on a daily basis that leave a sour taste in my mouth.

No but they will allow campers (big and small)pull in and park in their lots for home Penn State football games taking business away from our local camp grounds and state parks.

Wal- Mart is the LAST place we shop for reasons other than the campers, but just as selfish.

I refuse to shop there, also. But, WM is the ONLY place I can find some of the ingredients for our recipes!!! Our grocery stores don't carry some of the items and I have no choice but to go there. :(

And, a long time ago (not anymore, though) - I thought they stood for Made in the USA. Or am I imagining that?

Wow, this is a topic sure to strike debate. :DI shop at Walmart but also Target and other local stores. Really, they all have terrible customer service at some point or another. It depends on the day, the shift, the local department manager, etc. Some of my local stores have staff that aren't knowledgeable or helpful, just as bad as Walmart. Walmart carries a lot of the same brands as other stores, so to say they sell stuff from overseas isn't really a point against Walmart--everyone sells stuff from overseas! I know a lot of people who complain about buying from China and such, and then shop at Pottery Barn where so much is from China. I agree it would be great to have more things coming from the US, but at some point you just need to buy socks, deodorant, and linens and have to move on. I also remember learning from someone...terrible memory and I can't remember where...but that Walmart gives a lot of money to charitable organizations and supports fundraisers/matches amounts. I'll have to look into how it works and what they do today, but a couple years ago I remember hearing about a lot of good that they were doing for local and national organizations.We don't know all the details, and we don't know all the litigations that might have gone on to make Walmart come to their decision to not allow the Christmas tree sales, so I'm not going to quick make a decision and decide to boycott them. One thing I've learned is that newspapers and other media sources so many times aren't thorough in their research, don't ask all the questions, or ask the wrong unqualified person for details. So many times the stories are wrong, exaggerated, or critical details missing that would explain the reason why something is happening. Sometimes the media just likes to stir the pot.That might not be the case for this, but I'm just saying.... :) (Okay, off soapbox...please don't throw anything at me! :D :blushing:)

I have not stepped in a wal-mart in over 2 years (not for ANYTHING!!!). The staff is rude (I don't blame them either, since I have known many people that have worked there). I don't save any money, since I buy tons of crap I don't need LOL! By the way, what is happening to the red, white, and blue on the wal-marts???? They are repainting them to green and brown one by one......

I try not to shop at WM for several reasons. I'd rather buy from a smaller local company when possible. If I have to pay a little more it is worth it. Not to say I don't need my money because I do! I still seem to find good deals in other stores. However, I do have to occasionally shop at WM to find a particular ingredient for a recipe. I do it very grudgingly!

pampcheflisa said:
Oh, I am not trying to start anything, but this is a hot button topic for me!!
I work for a produce company that distributes to WM, and they have unethical business practices, they are giant bullies. I avoid WM stores like the plague, but it's because of the things I deal with on a daily basis that leave a sour taste in my mouth.

My husband worked for a company that was very respected in the industry and by customers and then they started selling at Walmart. Walmart very much bullied them and made them lower their prices by a lot, forcing them to make more of the products in China. Of course they didn't do that until the company had a large percentage of their business exclusively with Walmart. There's more to the story but that's an idea of who they are.

I remember when everything was Red White and Blue at Walmart and they proudly, with large letters, said "Made in USA" on the buildings and throughout the store. Shame on them.

Although I, too, like to buy Made in the USA, I'd like to point out two things:

1) A very large proportion of PC products are made in China or other foreign countries

2) Most people feel buying foreign-made products is taking jobs away from US citizens. Actually, there's a large industry very much dependent on imports. Customhouse Brokers clear the products through Customs (which, by the way, is a government agency, employing US citizens, which exists because of imported goods), once they arrive at the airport or pier, and are unladed and processed by freight handlers. The product is then shipped via truck or train to the warehouses for distribution. You're talking about literally thousands of jobs which exist BECAUSE of imported goods. Not to mention all the companies doing the importing (and paying customs duties - a tax on imported goods - which helps to fund our government), and other jobs created by the industry.

There is a pretty good show that runs periodically on the cable networks about Walmart and their business practices- how they treat the vendors and "bully" to get the low prices we all want.I think that's pretty petty that they won't allow the parking lot sales, but YOU CAN set up a table in front of the door. THAT turns me off as a customer- when people are harassing you as you go IN AND as you come OUT of a store. I don't like walmart. I feel a little "dirty" shopping there knowing some of what I do, but unfortunately, as some have mentioned- when you are on a budget, it's sometimes the only place to get good prices- not ALL the time anymore. Also- some of the ingredients for recipes. But I probably would say I shop there 1 out of every 10 shopping trips I make are at Walmart. Other stores are getting more competitive in price, and are just more convenient for me in terms of location.

I just watched a documentary on Wal-Mart. It was called the High Cost of Low Prices. It was great to watch, came out in 2005. It talked about how when a WalMart comes into your town it will run out the local business and your local jobs will suffer. And sure with the Wal Mart going in there will be an increase in jobs, but not good ones. WalMart considers 28 hours a full time employee, they continually ask/bully their associates to work off the clock, and offer benefits that are too expensive for someone making $9-10 an hour to pay for. They are very Anti-Union and if anyone even talks about it they will be tailed and badgered till they quit. They know about the abuse and mispractises in their factories in China, Hondoras, etc and yet do not do anything to change those practices.

The 5 heirs to the Waltons are each worth $18 Bil and yet Walmarts across the Nation encourage their employees to use the governments benefits like Medicaid, Wic, section 8 housing, etc rather than pay their employees a living wage, which end up costing our city through taxes. They get tax breaks and subsidies from our local governments by bullying them saying they will just set up shop right outside of town and won't have to pay the taxes and yet will still drive out local businesses. They force our local governments to give them subsidies to build roads, put in sewer lines, etc with this tactic.

And what I find incredibly disappointing is that employees can donate a portion of their paycheck to help out WM employees that fall on hard times. Walmart employees gave 5Million, the Waltons - $6000. In total the Waltons only donate 1% of their income to charities. Bill Gates gives 58%!

I am all for fair capitalism - which really is an oxymoron. But the problem is that WalMart ACTS and claims that they are good for our local economy and that saving money is the bottom line. Saving money is important but to me it isn't so important that walmart is one of the only stores and employers in town because they drove out the local business that had more expertise, customer service and fair wages.

I stopped shopping at WalMart years ago but fell off the wagon when they opened the new supercenter in town. I quickly put myself back on after reminding myself that I believe there are more things important than low prices. I have to remind myself that, yes a $5 shirt is a steal - but at what cost. Somoeone somewhere had to make that shirt, ship the shirt, work in the store that sells the shirt, electricity for the store, etc that someone somewhere is getting the shaft for me getting the deal.

On a side note. Girl Scouts are allowed to sell their cookies at our WalMart - but they must sell outside, too bad it is March when our GS sell and it can easily still be 20* and snowy here in Alaska during that time.

There was way more in the documentary than I can list like Crime in the parking lot, their environmental impact, how they get their outrageously low prices, their business practises and how they train their management to help keep their prices so low.

Last edited:
I don't want to go off on a rant, so I'm trying to be composed.
It doesn't bother me at all where people choose to shop. I don't care if my best friend will only shop at WM. But, I have worked for a large (think Global) produce corporation, and now I work for a regional grower and you'd be amazed the tactics they use. I literally could go on for days and days about it. They have DESTROYED the grocery industry (this is not an exaggeration - at least with produce), and they just plow through business with no remorse. This is not what Sam Walton envisioned when he started the company. And, his heirs just sit on a board now and let other people run the company.
We have been fighting them for the last few months on keeping their regional fruit programs..........could you imagine not being able to buy a Georgia Peach there??
okay, I will stop now....:rolleyes:

I boycott Walmart because they put on the image of hiring handicap people and helping the community when in actuality it's to keep costs down. My mildly mentally retarded brother worked for Walmart for years as a cart handler. He was given steady raises and even promoted to stock boy. After 12 years he accrued several weeks paid vacation and a nice hourly wage. Three years ago they started trying to find fault with him. They used to let him clock in at 8:55 and out at 4:55 so he could catch the 5:00 bus on time and not have to wait until the next bus at 6:00. Being handicapped he couldn't understand why clocking out at 4:55 was wrong anymore. The new management didn't care about the person or that Greg couldn't afford to daily take the "special needs" city transportation.

It was all about money. They could hire someone to do his job for minimum wage and not have to give them vacations for a year. It didn't matter about his past record. If Greg had to work at 3:00 - he was ready at 11:00. They would call him in all the time to work because someone didn't show up or might go into overtime. Then he was told he couldn't work the next day because he might get overtime.

Eventually, Greg was let go. He was so stressed from the pressure that in the long run it is for the best. He is at Krogers now, and happy.

Grrrr...to Walmart.

Maragib said:
I am all for fair capitalism - which really is an oxymoron.

Capitalism is all about you choosing where to spend your dollar, that's what keeps it fair. :)

This is one of my biggest problems with Walmart and the main reason I do not support them: http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/02/17/wal-mart-recession-profiteer/

I can't afford to not shop at Wal-mart and Sam's Club. If I were to go to the local grocery store I would spend at least 50% more on groceries. Target doesn't carry everything I need and honestly there prices are the best either. Even though I don't agree with the way they run things at times and I can't always find the item's I want. If I go in with low expectations of what my experience will be I am never dissappopinted.

what an interesting debate! i am sorry about the tree issue - even though i don't celebrate christmas i enjoy passing by tree lots with people coming out with trees strapped onto their cars. it's very homey and evocative of the season. what walmart is doing is very petty.

I hate going to walmart...and only do if I absolutely have to. Unfortunately people have what I call a "WalMart mentality". They think that if its at WalMart its cheaper...not true. WalMart groceries are more expensive than the local grocery store in our area. I used to own a small grocery store and I worked hard to keep my prices down...I couldn't get every item as cheap as WalMart, but I had a full fresh butcher shop and our meat prices were much lower than WalMart...and cut fresh every day. But, people think that WalMart is cheaper so they will drive 30-40 miles to WalMart and load up and then be mad because the local grocery store closes at 7 and on holidays because they forgot to get ketchup and you should be open to give them that 89 cent item. This kind of mentality is putting the small local business owners out of business. I buy from my local business as much as possible. Yes, you might spend a few more dollars, but you didn't have to buy gas to get there and waste your time driving. People always want to complain because the local store is closed on Sunday, or Thanksgiving, but they don't want to give them their full support the rest of the time. I also have a great local grocery store owner who will get those special things that I need for PC recipes...and they are reasonably priced.

Shell Northway said:
I can't afford to not shop at Wal-mart and Sam's Club. If I were to go to the local grocery store I would spend at least 50% more on groceries. Target doesn't carry everything I need and honestly there prices are the best either. Even though I don't agree with the way they run things at times and I can't always find the item's I want. If I go in with low expectations of what my experience will be I am never dissappopinted.

If I use coupons and track sales (with the help of a couple of blogs) I can easily save 50% on my grocery bill at the local Kroger and Publix. Check out BeCentsAble, LLC - Home to find resources in your area.

Thank you for sharing that link. I was laughing to the point of tears....and yes, they are kind of scary.

Elaine, what they did to your brother is a sin. They get tax credit for hiring handicapped people AND HUGE tax credit for employing people with WIC and other govt programs. THAT is probably why they encourage their employees to sign up for those services.

I'll keep you updated. Walmart said they may change their policies. I for myself sent a letter to the editor and am passing on to others. The walmart does not sell Christmas trees. With our unemployment rate over 16% in my county, many families will hurt without the donations the Lion's Club trees brings in and the giving tree location. We are fortunate we have a Fred Meyer within 20 minutes to do shopping, but I can understand those that may need to find cheaper items from Walmart. My husband saw a riding battery operated car is on sale on Black Friday there. But we're purchasing from another store at a higher price. I'm standing by my personal beliefs. I will also be outside of Walmart on Black Friday with a sign leading people down the street to the Lion's club's new location. Walmart would not even allow a sign to direct people to the new donation.

The Walmart parking lots are so big around here, I don't see how the trees could cause problems;I've avoided Walmart for over 10 years. It was a good idea when it started. My aunt & uncle lived in rural Missouri and were delighted to not have to drive 90 miles to a larger town to get items they needed that weren't available nearby.
Now, not so much. Here is an interesting picture of Walmart overrunning the nation:
Watching the Growth of Walmart Across America | FlowingDataI think I've posted this on here before, but since they built 2 neighborhood Walmarts (basically just a Walmart grocery store) nearby, 4 other grocery stores have closed ... not good! If I just need a few things, I'm stuck going there, unless I want to take a half hour round trip to drive to the next closest store.

From someone who was in mgmt with WM and had an 11yr tenure, the company is not all bad. (And this is said from the person who was downsized in order to eliminate the mgmt bonus program) Most of the changes you are all eluding to (ie: parking lot and girl scouts sitting outside) - you can thank the unions for that. In order to prohibit Unions from being able to solicit their information, you must have a no solicitation policy. MANY employers do it b/c its their only way. Unfortunately though when you are the largest employer in the world, you have the largest scrutiny and its most obvious. Our farmers market was even 'evicted' this summer and can no longer set up shop.

As for bullying vendors...sure it happens. I too have watched the MSNBC video mentioned above HOWEVER vendors do NOT have to put their products in walmart. It is their choice. In today's economy, many people cannot afford to shop in local grocery stores or even target. Any 'for profit' company is the same...out to make profit. The little man will always get the short end of the stick and thats how competition and big business works. If the small guy capitalizes on what the big guy doesnt do, they survive just fine. (example: our local hardware store kicks rear b/c they offer superior customer service and there's always someone who knows what they are talking about or the grocery store that gets you checked out quickly etc)

There are many positives that WM does, just in todays world, when do you see positive on the news? You only hear of who died, what scandal, what blew up, what company went under and how bad the weather is somewhere. :I

Personally I am a huge fan of going to Walmart - could be because we move a lot and typically when you walk into one you are walking into all of them. it's something familiar. At the same time I would like to point out that people can find fault with just about anything. Personally, I rarely shop at Target. They are more expensive than Walmart on identical items. Also, the few clothes I have bought my son at Target have fallen apart much quicker than the one's I've bought at Walmart even though I pay more for them. And Target is at the top of the list for not supporting our military. At least at Walmart you usually know you are getting "cheaper" quality products. And they are much cheaper than most of the local grocery stores.

I am sorry to hear about the tree issue though. I don't remember there being trees in the Walmart lot for the last several years where we have lived. We have always found our trees in the lots of the supermarkets.

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and bought a crapload of stuff. I plan on going there again today to purchase my food items for Thanksgiving.

And I plan on continuing to shop there until they close the store down for good, which isn't very likely.

I LOVE that store!

I wholeheartedly support those who choose not to shop at Walmart. I also support those who choose to shop there. As Melissa and Sharon pointed out, there are reasons to avoid most major chain stores. I have a friend who refuses to shop at Target. Their clear disdain for the military is a slap in the face to a woman who is married to a career military man. I'm currently not shopping at Kohl's. I feel their choice of Britney Spears as the spokeswoman for their Candies line is inappropriate. Candies are marketed to the 14-24 demographic. Her public image is exactly what I'm battling with the little girls I work with. I'm hoping they choose someone a little more appropriate next time. I miss shopping at Kohl's. I believe it's important to do whatever your conscience tells you to do.

I wholeheartedly support those who choose not to shop at Walmart. I also support those who choose to shop there. As Melissa and Sharon pointed out, there are reasons to avoid most major chain stores.

I have a friend who refuses to shop at Target. Their clear disdain for the military is seen as a slap in the face to a woman who is married to a career military man.

I'm currently not shopping at Kohl's. I feel their choice of Britney Spears as the spokeswoman for their Candies line is inappropriate. Candies are marketed to the 14-24 demographic. Her public image is exactly what I'm battling with the little girls I work with. I'm hoping they choose someone a little more appropriate next time. I miss shopping at Kohl's.

I believe it's important to do whatever your conscience tells you to do.

Temporary hijack: I've clearly missed hearing about Target and not supporting servicemembers. Can someone clue me in? Thanks!

Target is a decidedly pacifist. They will not allow Toys for Tots to put a collection site anywhere on their property because it is connected with the US Marine Corp. They give generously to many charities, but none that have any military connection whatsoever. That includes the Salvation Army.

I try not to buy at wm either, for several different reasons, I have found that their products, aren't has good as some of the other stores around the area, I don't want to pay for a shirt or even veggies no matter how cheap they are if they aren't going to last longer then three months for the shirt or not even a week for veggies.

and it's a shame that they have bullied companies into lowering their price. because of this I think companies, and this is my opinion only, don't offer wm the freshest food, even if it's processed and smaller packages, therefore not really cheaper.

jetcitysandy said:
Might be worth a look.....seems to be some misinformation posted...

snopes.com: Rumors About Target

That's good to know. I'll pass the information along to my friend. Just to defend myself (not that you were in any way attacking :)), I wasn't sharing internet gossip. I was with her when she was given the information I shared by a Taget manager. We were told that corporate policy was to support nothing attached to the military in any way.

My mom and I love wal-mart....whenever my grandfather calls my mom, the first question he always asks is....are you at wal-mart? hahaha, some would say wal-mart has over-run our town, because we have 3 wal-marts in one town, 2 are supercenters! But we also have a great grocery store chain that is growing.....they have 3 stores in town and they are building their fourth!

My letter to the editor in our local paper got published! Also two other letters from readers who are disappointed with Walmart's choice. I will be holding signs at the entrance of Walmart on Black Friday, with a sign that let's people know where the Lion's Club Christmas trees are now located (since Walmart would not allow them to even post a sign on the lawn). Also: Walmart is greedy, they won't help the needy. Giving Tree kicked out! I have a few others joining me. I've never started my own rally, but I feel passionate about this cause.

lockhartkitchen said:
My letter to the editor in our local paper got published! Also two other letters from readers who are disappointed with Walmart's choice. I will be holding signs at the entrance of Walmart on Black Friday, with a sign that let's people know where the Lion's Club Christmas trees are now located (since Walmart would not allow them to even post a sign on the lawn). Also: Walmart is greedy, they won't help the needy. Giving Tree kicked out! I have a few others joining me. I've never started my own rally, but I feel passionate about this cause.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

lockhartkitchen said:

Just a heads up - the sidewalk and the parking lot outside of WM is deemed private property and owned by WM (unless yours is in a strip mall) and therefore they can (and in our stores case will) call the cops to have you removed. (I'm not against you - just giving you the heads up from my years of WM mgmt experience. They will see you the same as they see Unions holding petition signs) If you're in a strip mall, the parking lot may allow you that freedom just don't stand right outside their door. I live in rural america, ours are individidual bldgs, not part of strip malls and they control all of the surrounding property.

Melissa78 said:
Just a heads up - the sidewalk and the parking lot outside of WM is deemed private property and owned by WM (unless yours is in a strip mall) and therefore they can (and in our stores case will) call the cops to have you removed. (I'm not against you - just giving you the heads up from my years of WM mgmt experience. They will see you the same as they see Unions holding petition signs) If you're in a strip mall, the parking lot may allow you that freedom just don't stand right outside their door. I live in rural america, ours are individidual bldgs, not part of strip malls and they control all of the surrounding property.

Don't worry. Our Walmart is located on a major highway. The sidewalk I'll be standing on is not their property. It is, however, the only way to go into Walmart, so I'll be seen.

<h2>1. Why did Walmart say no to having the Lions Club Christmas trees in its parking lot?</h2><p>According to Walmart spokeswoman Deisha Galberth, the store's decision was based on a desire to maintain a streamlined shopping experience for customers by keeping the parking lot clear of congestion and distractions.</p><h2>2. Will any other fundraising activities be allowed in the Walmart parking lot?</h2><p>No, Walmart will not allow any other fundraising activities such as selling fireworks or holding car washes in their parking lot. These activities have never been in line with corporate policy, even though they may have been allowed in some locations in the past.</p><h2>3. Why does Walmart allow Salvation Army bellringers and Girl Scouts to sell cookies in their vestibule or along the sidewalk in front of the store?</h2><p>According to Galberth, these areas are subject to local discretion and therefore, can be allowed by the store manager. However, the sales floor and parking lot are under corporate policy and cannot be used for fundraising or soliciting.</p><h2>4. How long has the Lions Club been selling Christmas trees in the Walmart parking lot?</h2><p>The Lions Club has been selling Christmas trees in the Walmart parking lot for about 10 years, according to McMinnville banker Todd Caster.</p><h2>5. Is there any chance that Walmart will reverse their decision?</h2><p>No, Galberth stated that there is no chance of Walmart reversing their decision on parking lot activities. However, she did mention that the local manager will be reaching out to explore other fundraising options for the Lions Club in a different season.</p>

1. Why did Walmart say no to having the Lions Club Christmas trees in its parking lot?

According to Walmart spokeswoman Deisha Galberth, the store's decision was based on a desire to maintain a streamlined shopping experience for customers by keeping the parking lot clear of congestion and distractions.

2. Will any other fundraising activities be allowed in the Walmart parking lot?

No, Walmart will not allow any other fundraising activities such as selling fireworks or holding car washes in their parking lot. These activities have never been in line with corporate policy, even though they may have been allowed in some locations in the past.

3. Why does Walmart allow Salvation Army bellringers and Girl Scouts to sell cookies in their vestibule or along the sidewalk in front of the store?

According to Galberth, these areas are subject to local discretion and therefore, can be allowed by the store manager. However, the sales floor and parking lot are under corporate policy and cannot be used for fundraising or soliciting.

4. How long has the Lions Club been selling Christmas trees in the Walmart parking lot?

The Lions Club has been selling Christmas trees in the Walmart parking lot for about 10 years, according to McMinnville banker Todd Caster.

5. Is there any chance that Walmart will reverse their decision?

No, Galberth stated that there is no chance of Walmart reversing their decision on parking lot activities. However, she did mention that the local manager will be reaching out to explore other fundraising options for the Lions Club in a different season.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
tlag1986
  • chefjeanine
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies