• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

(Believe Me, This Thread Won't Get "Heated": Cdn Election!

In summary, Esther is discussing the Canadian political system and how it works. She notes that there is a two-party system, and discusses how minority governments are formed. She also has some thoughts about the US political system.
peichef
We can't let the American cheffers have all the fun. So, while our candidates may generate as much excitement as the US candidates, I though this might be a good place to have some INTELLIGENT, RESPECTFUL discussion about our own upcoming election.Personally, I have been interested in politics since toddlerhood, when I did my own polling on the NB/PEI ferry at the age of 2. (My dad was a politician, so I come by my love of politics naturally,) :)As for this campaign, I really don't know what to do. I have traditionally voted Conservative. I think Harper is brilliant (academically). I don't like all his positions, though. I think their environmental policy is sorely lacking in substantive change. I miss the days when we had the PC, Lib, NDP & the Cdn Alliance. (Remember when the PC & Cdn Alliance merged & the name they were going to use had CRAP for an acronym :). Tee hee!) The Cdn Alliance was so right wing, & now I feel that the Conservatives are a little right wing for my taste & values. (I've mellowed as an adult!)Which leaves (for me) the Liberals. Hmmm.... I think Dion seems like a lovely man. Which great ideals & principles. He seems to lack leadership & direction, though. Elizabeth May seems lovely. Sweet. Al little "out there" & idealistic. A little too "Rainbow Bright" to lead a nation, but a great voice & presence to balance out the other side of the spectrum.What are your thoughts? Do you like any of our choices? Will you vote "nationally" (ie: for a party) or locally (ie: for the individual candidate, regardless of party affiliation)?

oh come on you guys! the Americans (& lots of Canucks) are so excited for their election. No one has any thoughts?!?!

:rolleyes::DYou do realize that around here these days ANY Thread can get heated, right?!!HAHAHA!! :D:D

Maybe your warning that it won't get heated is why people aren't reading it. Just teasing! :)

seriously!!!
I guess I should have captioned it... "More political controversy!" lol. On a more serious note... things are heating up in the campaign. Elizabeth has been denied in her request to participate in the Leaders' Debate. Don't get it! The Green Party has candidates in EVERY constituency.
The Bloc Quebecois, on the other hand, offers candidates in ONE PROVINCE! How they even get recognized as a Federal Party escapes me, given that they don't run in any other province/ territory. Whatever.Surely some of you have SOME thoughts about the election / leaders / debates, etc.

Ok, Charity, I have lots of thoughts, just not time to type them all out!!! lolI am finding it difficult to choose who to vote for this election. I have a dumb question (yes this one really is dumb for a voting Canadian) - who did the Reform party join with to make the Alliance??? I find that the parties all bleed into each other, except when they are trying to get a vote... I don't feel that any of the smaller parties have a thorough enough plan to keep the country on track.Then there is always the questions, do you vote for your respective MP or the party you want even if you don't think too much of yoru local MP in question?EstherEsther

As someone from the US, I am a little confused by your multi-party system. I guess here in the States, technically we have one, but for all intents and purposes, For National elections, it's a 2 party system. So - how do you keep them all straight, and how does it work within the Gov't. when voting on things that will effect the country? What is considered a majority?

A minority government is when no clear party has the majority of the elected MPs (members of parliament) in the House.
Well, right now we have a minority government - this one might have lasted the longest of any minority government, I am sure someone will correct if I am wrong.
A minority actually makes the parties find some common ground so the their own bills/ideas get brought to fruition. Otherwise the other parties (not in power) can "get together" and put a vote of non confidence in the government on the table and start the whole process over..Am I making any sense - my law & politics teacher would be embarrassed at my poor explaination. I must admit that the system in the states is hard to follow for me - so much to follow with the primaries and then another whole year or so before the actual election...

Last Poll I saw, the Conservatives were ahead.

ChefEsther said:
Ok, Charity, I have lots of thoughts, just not time to type them all out!!! lol

I am finding it difficult to choose who to vote for this election. I have a dumb question (yes this one really is dumb for a voting Canadian) - who did the Reform party join with to make the Alliance??? I find that the parties all bleed into each other, except when they are trying to get a vote... I don't feel that any of the smaller parties have a thorough enough plan to keep the country on track.

Then there is always the questions, do you vote for your respective MP or the party you want even if you don't think too much of yoru local MP in question?

Esther

Esther

the Reform became the Canadian Alliance and then they and the Progressive Conservatives (PC) merged to form the new "Conservative Party of Canada"

So - does "conservative" in Canada mean the same thing as in the States?

I am just excited that Elizabeth May gets to be heard on the debates. I would NEVER wish for the "Greens" to form a gov't but I do think it would be great for them to have a presence in the House of Commons.I don't know who to vote for yet.

ChefBeckyD said:
So - does "conservative" in Canada mean the same thing as in the States?

hmmm.. well we hold the same definition in our dictionaries -lol.

I think most would argue that even our "Conservative" party is slightly more left-leaning than the Dems.

Our "capital C" Conservatives certainly are FAR left of what is considered conservative in the US. No Anne Coulters, Rush Limbaugh, etc here. The closest thing we had to that was the now defunct Reform Party, and even they weren't THAT right wing.

Related to (Believe Me, This Thread Won't Get "Heated": Cdn Election!

1. What is the purpose of the "(Believe Me, This Thread Won't Get "Heated": Cdn Election!" event?

The purpose of this event is to provide a platform for individuals to have civil and respectful discussions about the upcoming Canadian election. It aims to promote open-mindedness and understanding, rather than heated debates and arguments.

2. Is this event only for Canadian citizens?

No, this event is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about the Canadian election and participating in respectful discussions. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and nationalities to join us.

3. How will the discussions be moderated?

The discussions will be moderated by trained professionals who will ensure that all participants adhere to the guidelines of respectful and civil discourse. Any disrespectful or inflammatory comments will be addressed and removed from the discussion.

4. Can I share my personal political views during this event?

Yes, you are welcome to share your personal political views during the discussions. However, we ask that you do so in a respectful and non-confrontational manner, keeping in mind that the purpose of this event is to promote understanding and open-mindedness.

5. Will there be any guest speakers or experts present at the event?

Yes, there will be guest speakers and experts who will share their insights and opinions on the Canadian election. However, the focus of this event is on the discussions among the participants, rather than on the opinions of the speakers.

Back