• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bamboo Textile Mislabeling: FTC Warns Consumers of Deceptive Sales Tactics

In summary, bamboo towels are made from the fibers of the bamboo plant and are considered to be a highly renewable and sustainable material. They are just as absorbent as cotton towels and have natural antimicrobial properties, making them resistant to bacteria and mildew. To care for bamboo towels, it is recommended to wash them in cold water and air dry them whenever possible. Additionally, bamboo towels are regulated by the FTC to ensure accurate labeling and marketing.
Fluffy215
Gold Member
I just read an article on WalletPop in which the FTC stated companies are selling Bamboo clothing and textiles that are misleading and are actually Rayon. I checked their website and as of now PC is not on that list of evil doers. Just thought I would share in case someone has a customer inquire about it. This is the link to the FTC website listing the companies.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/2010/02/100203company-letter-recipients.pdf

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure we'll gt questions.

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, if you look at the tag on the PC towels it says "Rayon made from Bamboo."

The definition for rayon (according to Wikipedia) is a manufactured regenerated cellulose fiber, which refers more to how it's made, rather than what it's made of. Just like satin and velvet are a type of weave rather than raw material.

Rayon itself is considered a semi-natural fiber, because it's manufactured (the non-natural part of the equation) from a natural material that may not be in a state to be used as a fiber. Bamboo itself has been used in yarn without being processed into rayon first, but it's a scratchy specialty yarn - picture something made from shredded wood and you'll get the idea. One of the reasons that the labeling of items made from bamboo fibers is changing is because there is evidence that bamboo loses its anti-bacterial properties after being processed into rayon.

Related to Bamboo Textile Mislabeling: FTC Warns Consumers of Deceptive Sales Tactics

What are bamboo towels made of and are they environmentally friendly?

Bamboo towels are made from the fibers of the bamboo plant. Bamboo is a highly renewable resource and is considered to be one of the most sustainable materials in the world. This makes bamboo towels a more environmentally friendly option compared to traditional cotton towels.

Are bamboo towels as absorbent as cotton towels?

Yes, bamboo towels are just as absorbent as cotton towels. In fact, bamboo fibers have a higher absorption rate compared to cotton, making them even more effective at drying dishes and hands.

Do bamboo towels have any antimicrobial properties?

Yes, bamboo has natural antimicrobial properties which make bamboo towels resistant to bacteria and mildew. This means they will stay fresher and cleaner for longer compared to cotton towels.

How do I care for my bamboo towels?

Bamboo towels are machine washable and can be dried in the dryer on a low heat setting. However, to prolong their lifespan and maintain their softness, we recommend washing them in cold water and air drying them whenever possible.

Are bamboo towels regulated by the FTC?

Yes, bamboo towels are regulated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to ensure that they are labeled and marketed accurately. This means that all bamboo towels must be made from bamboo fibers and cannot contain any other materials without proper disclosure.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • PampMomof3
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jenniferknapp
Replies