• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are You an Owl or a Lark? Finding Your Productivity Rhythm

I go all day and I am much happier when I stay busy. I do my best house cleaning at 9 at night.Nver really thought about it like that...but I'm laughing!!! I don't think I could even hit a golf ball with a hockey stick!! and my skates wouldn't work too well in the grass.

Are you an Owl? Or a Lark?

• Total voters
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Everyone seems to have a natural rhythm of when they are at their very best time for production.

Larks awaken early every day and are productive all day long, usually crashing early in the evening to head for bed.

Owls like to sleep in every morning, but come alive when the sun goes down and seem to be most productive while the larks are sleeping.

Both seem to be very intolerant of the other, but larks seem to be nastiest about owls. Even Ben Franklin said, "Plow deep while sluggards sleep." Of course, in Franklin's day, there were no John Deere combines with bright lights for harvesting at night.

Which are you? Do you get up at dawn, knowing it's the best you'll feel all day? Of would you rather hunt by the light of the moon?

Yes - I hit the wrong key in Owl (Owk) and I can't fix it, so leave me alone already. I'm an owl operating in daylight, okay?

Last edited:
I am an owl and my DH is a lark-wannabe. He is constantly telling me while being an owl is bad. I want to thump him over the head.

I come by it honstly I am an owl... my dh is a Lark though....he would not know what sleeping in is even if it killed him LOL

I thought I was a lark, until I married one! I love getting up early, and sitting and contemplating life with the lights low, and a strong cup of hot coffee in my hand, and then gradually getting busy with the day. My DH on the other hand, JUMPS out of bed at 5:45, and turns on all of the lights and the radio....gets dressed and ready for work,feeds the cat, mixes a protein shake, and has exercised all by 6:45......he has however learned to interpret my grunt when I walk past him with my eyes closed as "good morning", and he automatically turns down the lights when I walk into the room. Once he leaves for work at 7:15, I can start my morning in quietness and solitude...for about 15 minutes, when my other Lark (my DS) calls out "Mommy - someones awake in here....wakey wakey"!!!
All of that is probably why I always wish all my shows could be brunch shows!

I am definitly an owl. I dont really like mornings.

I used to be a lark, but my husband turned me into an owl.

I am an owk married to a lark! I think there's a pattern here.

Did that on purpose KG so you wouldn't feel bad.:p

i am an owl married to a not-by-choice lark...he has to leave for work at 5:30 ...but then again he wakes at 4:00 to go fishing on his days off...is he a lark or just a nut? ;)

Nut.I used to get up before dawn to go golfing.Definite nut job.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Nut.

I used to get up before dawn to go golfing.

Definite nut job.

Did you have glow-in-the dark golf balls?

I don't do mornings. Definitely an owl. So, KG, I'm assuming you don't golf anymore? Or are you one of those "twilight" golfers??

pcchris said:
I don't do mornings. Definitely an owl. So, KG, I'm assuming you don't golf anymore? Or are you one of those "twilight" golfers??
I used to be married to someone who didn't comprehend the concept of chasing a white ball around a pasture, and the effort of dealing with her started to wear me out. Later, my best golfing buddy moved to Florida and I just sort of lost interest after that.

The game has changed so much in the last 10-15 years that I'm not sure I could get back into it without spending the same amount of money that would buy another Model A.

well, maybe you should take a trip to florida and hook up with your old golf buddy! I never understood the whole golf concept either, but hey, whatever makes ya happy! I don't golf, but I do LOVE to play hockey...kind of the same, but different, I guess. I'll come up with something wittier later. it's still before noon....brain's not running at 100% yet.

Hmmmm...a real-life Happy Gilmore!

I am a lowl- if that is possible. I dont sleep in and love to stay up late and get things done. I go all day and I am much happier when I stay busy. I do my best house cleaning at 9 at night.

Ha!
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Hmmmm...a real-life Happy Gilmore!

Nver really thought about it like that...but I'm laughing!!! I don't think I could even hit a golf ball with a hockey stick!! and my skates wouldn't work too well in the grass.

luvs2sellit said:
I am a lowl- if that is possible. I dont sleep in and love to stay up late and get things done. I go all day and I am much happier when I stay busy. I do my best house cleaning at 9 at night.

Thats me too!!! I cant sleep past 8:30 on a weekend or ya waste the day:eek: But Staying up late is my routine. Gotta see that crazy Scottie Craig Ferguson what a Hoot, Pun intended:)

Wow- the results are pretty close...should be interesting to see how things change when all of the OWLS get online tonight!

Just remember that the scientific results of this poll are subject to a margerine of error of ± 99%.

that's "butter" than some polls I've seen...

Don't bet on the spread.

Night owl for sure!! I can't wait for school to be out! These 6am mornings are for the birds!!

However, doesn't it seem like most of the successful people are larks? What does that say about the owls?

I HATE MORNINGS!! I am not fully functioning until at least 2:00pm.....:p

Hoot hoot...welcome to the owl habitat!!

Paige Dixon said:
Night owl for sure!! I can't wait for school to be out! These 6am mornings are for the birds!!

However, doesn't it seem like most of the successful people are larks? What does that say about the owls?
It says larks make more noise.

Check with any major software company and you'll find the bulk of the good "work from home" coders write in the glow of monitors in the wee hours. Same is true of many good writers.

After having kids, I've turned into a lark. I used to hate mornings, but I'm okay if left alone for the first 30 minutes I'm awake, lol:) Anymore I"m doing good to stay awake past 10:30. My dh calls me an old lady!

I am also an owl married to a lark...it's a beautiful thing. He fixes breakfast for the kids while I get a little more shut-eye. On the other hand, I am slowly becoming a lowl...having kids makes me get my act together a little earlier than what I would like. Coffee is a beautiful thing for owls!

lacychef said:
After having kids, I've turned into a lark. I used to hate mornings, but I'm okay if left alone for the first 30 minutes I'm awake, lol:) Anymore I"m doing good to stay awake past 10:30. My dh calls me an old lady!
Me too, let me wake up after 8am~on my own time and I am fine! Wake me and I am a monster my DH says! I get more done though, in morning or midafternoon and lately I'm in bed by 10pm asleep by 11! So maybe I am a Lowl

I'm a lark. I'm up at 4:20 every morning. Yes, every morning. I'm one of those disgustingly bright-eyed, bushy-tailed morning people. (Actually, my tail is a little bushier than I'd like. But, I digress.) I used to try to sleep in on the weekends, but the older I get, the better my body functions if I keep to a fairly regular schedule. I tend to fall asleep early if left on my own, however, if I'm working on something or doing a show, I catch a second wind and am up as late as need be. When that happens, I'm a firm believer in naps.

Rae, you inspired this poll.

How so, KG?

Night owlI am a night owl, my husband is a lark. He is up and alert and very productive each morning. I tend to sleep in!

Debbie :D

raebates said:
How so, KG?
You posted earlier today about being one of those bright-eyed happy people at dawn. :p

PS - I'll be in the Indianapolis market for most of April - so a trip to Mr. Weenie is in order!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You posted earlier today about being one of those bright-eyed happy people at dawn. :p

PS - I'll be in the Indianapolis market for most of April - so a trip to Mr. Weenie is in order!

Oh, yeah. I remember.

PS - Shoot me an PM or email when you're in the area. (I've tried out several little quips in my head about meeting you at Mr. Weenie. Everyone one of them sounds way too naughty.)

My dad is definitly a lark I used to keep our comp on and when I was up at 4 in the morning i could hear him getting online with yahoo. to check his email. I once told him and he asked me why I didnt chat with him. I was like yeah right.

this needs to be "bumped" for our owls!!!

TwinGirlsMom said:
I am also an owl married to a lark...it's a beautiful thing. He fixes breakfast for the kids while I get a little more shut-eye. On the other hand, I am slowly becoming a lowl...having kids makes me get my act together a little earlier than what I would like. Coffee is a beautiful thing for owls!

Try Monster Energy for emergencies!

I am definitely an owl... currently I'm an owl with insomnia... I can't get to bed before 3am even if I try my hardest! To me happyness is sleeping from midnight to 9am... to bad the only way that will happen is if I stay at my current job from he** and I think that's what's led to my insomnia... such a vicious cycle...

An owl married to another owl.

WHOOOOO WHOOOOOO

PamperChefCarol said:
An owl married to another owl.

WHOOOOO WHOOOOOO

Me too!!!:D :D :D

raebates said:
I'm a lark. I'm up at 4:20 every morning. Yes, every morning. I'm one of those disgustingly bright-eyed, bushy-tailed morning people. (Actually, my tail is a little bushier than I'd like. But, I digress.) I used to try to sleep in on the weekends, but the older I get, the better my body functions if I keep to a fairly regular schedule.

I tend to fall asleep early if left on my own, however, if I'm working on something or doing a show, I catch a second wind and am up as late as need be. When that happens, I'm a firm believer in naps.

Rae,
I am right there with ya, well almost. I wake up between 5:00 and 5:30 every morning. I have had my Boss call me at 5:15 AM, and I answered bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. She asked me what time I got up, because I was the most awake person she knew that early in the morning. I also stay up late... My husband works 1/2 of 2nd and all of 3rd shift, so I talk to him till 2 or so in morning several nights a week. Other nights, I am falling asleep at the computer desk or wherever I sit down.

Should we make a doughnut run on one of conference days? We are both in Wave 2 !!

Last edited:
I am TOTALLY an owl! As evidenced by the fact I've been up until 2 am the last two nights. I regret it every single morning after I stay up that late. Sometimes it's doing absolutely nothing that late at night because I LOVE it when the house is quiet. I definitely don't get quiet during the day with a 2 and 5 year old. Plus, I rarely sit down for more than a couple minutes at a time, so that's when I veg out. IT's also the time when I finally get around to doing things and being somewhat productive. I just long for the day when I can sleep in again. I guess that'll be in about 6 weeks when we head to Atlantis!! Woo hoo!:D

genburk said:
Rae,
I am right there with ya, well almost. I wake up between 5:00 and 5:30 every morning. I have had my Boss call me at 5:15 AM, and I answered bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. She asked me what time I got up, because I was the most awake person she knew that early in the morning. I also stay up late... My husband works 1/2 of 2nd and all of 3rd shift, so I talk to him till 2 or so in morning several nights a week. Other nights, I am falling asleep at the computer desk or wherever I sit down.

Should we make a doughnut run on one of conference days? We are both in Wave 2 !!

Are you arriving early? I'm hoping to be in the first HO tour on Thursday morning. We could annoy all of those sleepyheads!

If you're going to do the early morning HO tour, and you're staying at the HQ hotel, there is a Starschmucks kitty-corner from the bus loading zone. I had a double-shot cafe mocha to jump start my day last year.

Good to know. I was never much of a coffee person. Then, my son started working at a coffee house. (Not the one you mentioned, so that became the "s-word" in our house.) Now I'm hooked. The s-one is okay. Some of the little boutique places like my baby boy worked in are amazing. What was fun was that he would create weird, sugar-free combinations for me.

I miss my baby boy for many reasons. One of them is that I no longer get my speciall "Momma coffee" fix. (He's in Dallas, now. It's a little far to drive for a decent cuppa joe.)

raebates said:
Are you arriving early? I'm hoping to be in the first HO tour on Thursday morning. We could annoy all of those sleepyheads!

I think we are driving in early Thursday. Should arrive before noon, but not early enough to join in that HO tour. Maybe we can annoy the sleepyheads another day !!!!:D :D

raebates said:
Good to know. I was never much of a coffee person. Then, my son started working at a coffee house. (Not the one you mentioned, so that became the "s-word" in our house.) Now I'm hooked. The s-one is okay. Some of the little boutique places like my baby boy worked in are amazing. What was fun was that he would create weird, sugar-free combinations for me.

I miss my baby boy for many reasons. One of them is that I no longer get my speciall "Momma coffee" fix. (He's in Dallas, now. It's a little far to drive for a decent cuppa joe.)
I'm with you on local coffee shops. (When I travel, I try to go to the locally owned places than the chains.)

My brother, The Rocket Scientist, used to live in a little town named Saline, Michigan. (It's near Ann Arbor, where he worked.) The shop is called The Drowsy Parrot (Ann should go there if she hasn't already.) They had a special belnd there that he really liked and I wish I could get the formula from Terry.

http://www.threeolbags.com/_derived/Saline.htm_txt_Terry_Morrowowner.gif

Right down the street from me is a local place called http://www.latitudescoffeehouse.com/ that is owned by a nice local couple. Jeff and I actually used to be competitors in a previous life, but he makes a better cuppa than I do!

Jeff has an artist create menus on blackboards for him - these are terrific!

http://www.latitudescoffeehouse.com/latitudes_coffee_images/coffee_gallery/latitudescoffee4.jpg

Cool, KG!

Hey, Tina, I'll meet up with you. Maybe we can figure out a really great way to annoy them. I mean, besides just being perky morning people.

This thread really is for the birds, isn't it?

Tweet! Tweet!

<h2>1. What is the difference between an owl and a lark when it comes to productivity rhythm?</h2><p>The main difference between an owl and a lark in terms of productivity rhythm is their preferred hours of activity. Larks are early risers and are most productive during the day, while owls tend to sleep in and are more productive at night.</p><h2>2. Is there a negative stigma attached to being an owl?</h2><p>There is often a negative perception of owls, as they are seen as lazy or unproductive because of their tendency to sleep in and be active at night. However, this is just a matter of preference and does not necessarily reflect their work ethic.</p><h2>3. Can someone be both an owl and a lark?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible for someone to have a combination of both owl and lark tendencies. Some people may have more energy in the morning and evening, while others may have a more consistent level of productivity throughout the day.</p><h2>4. Is it better to be an owl or a lark?</h2><p>There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on an individual's personal preference and their job requirements. Some jobs may require early morning activity, while others may be better suited for night owls. It is important for individuals to find their own productivity rhythm and work during their most productive hours.</p><h2>5. How can someone determine if they are an owl or a lark?</h2><p>The best way to determine if you are an owl or a lark is to pay attention to your energy levels and productivity throughout the day. If you feel most alert and productive in the morning, you are likely a lark. If you feel more productive and energetic at night, you are likely an owl. However, it is also important to consider individual preferences and lifestyle factors when determining your productivity rhythm.</p>

Related to Are You an Owl or a Lark? Finding Your Productivity Rhythm

1. What is the difference between an owl and a lark when it comes to productivity rhythm?

The main difference between an owl and a lark in terms of productivity rhythm is their preferred hours of activity. Larks are early risers and are most productive during the day, while owls tend to sleep in and are more productive at night.

2. Is there a negative stigma attached to being an owl?

There is often a negative perception of owls, as they are seen as lazy or unproductive because of their tendency to sleep in and be active at night. However, this is just a matter of preference and does not necessarily reflect their work ethic.

3. Can someone be both an owl and a lark?

Yes, it is possible for someone to have a combination of both owl and lark tendencies. Some people may have more energy in the morning and evening, while others may have a more consistent level of productivity throughout the day.

4. Is it better to be an owl or a lark?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on an individual's personal preference and their job requirements. Some jobs may require early morning activity, while others may be better suited for night owls. It is important for individuals to find their own productivity rhythm and work during their most productive hours.

5. How can someone determine if they are an owl or a lark?

The best way to determine if you are an owl or a lark is to pay attention to your energy levels and productivity throughout the day. If you feel most alert and productive in the morning, you are likely a lark. If you feel more productive and energetic at night, you are likely an owl. However, it is also important to consider individual preferences and lifestyle factors when determining your productivity rhythm.

Back