• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Who Deserves a Round of Applause for Their Toilet Training Efforts?

In summary, My daughter was 2 when she learned how to use the potty on her own. She just needed a little encouragement from her parents and she was good to go.
DebPC
Staff member
Kudos to.....This is a section of my newsletter where I can throw in anything anyone has done that month. If someone reaches a new high or does a fair or just even attempts something they've never done before. I usually acknowledge 3- 4 if its a particularly exciting month. Hopefully this will motivate others also.

I used to have a section in the newsletter for new consultants to highlight their achievements but I have found that if I spread them out through the newsletter among the other consultants that it is more powerful - and exciting for them. Their name is in there more often for one and they see that they are achieving things that others who have been there a while are also achieving.

I like the kudos idea - especially for someone who isn't doing much but just might get that spark again if she/he's recognized. There is always something you can say about most people at least once in a while (I don't mention everyone every time).

Plus I'm always hoping it will motivate the others. Example; Lucy H. had a Mystery Open House in September for the new products and got 3 bookings and $700 in sales.
I'm always hoping maybe they'll read that and think maybe they should do that too.

Does anyone have problems with toilet training? My 3yo daughter will pee in the toilet, but poop (can I say that on here...:blushing:) she wants to have a pull-up on and won't use the toilet.

She says she's scared of it, because it hurts. I think the reason it hurts her is that she tends to hold onto it, because it did hurt coming out once and scared her a little.

I've used the "you're a big girl now" but get the answer "no, I'm not". I don't want to force her, but at the same time, will she really go on her own at some point??

Unfortunately I don't have much advice for you as we are just starting the potty training stages (my boy/girl twins are 25 months old) but I wanted to wish you luck. I am interested to hear what people respond with as I am sure I will run into this problem too at some point. My daughter likes to go on the potty (we have gone about 5 times) but lately the past 2 days she has been having a dry diaper when i want to change her so I ask her if she has to go potty and say "let's go sit on the potty chair" she tells me "no potty mommy". Of course when I put a new diaper on her like 10 minutes later or so and her diaper will weigh like 20 pounds because she finally decides to go! I am assuming this is just a stage she is going through.

Sharisse

I hate to say the only way I got my daughter to poop in the potty was to bribe her with a princess dress. She knew when she needed to go amd one day I got so sick of it I told her if she stayed clean for 1 wk I would get her a princess dress. Well she stayed clean.

Don't worry, Sharisse (beautiful name, btw) it is a stage. My DD still has moments when she wants to pee in her pull up, but I won't let her. I'm not going backwards!!!! ;)

I may have to try that, Jennie. My DD is not easily bribed though, because between daddy and grammie, she gets pretty much anything she wants!! Kinda frustrating at times......

My oldest son did the same thing. He had to have a diaper on to poop. But it didn't last too long. After a couple of weeks he started using the toilet. He's seven now so I don't remember if there was anything special we did. I don't think there was, I think I just kept coaxing him to do it until he finally did.

Maybe I am a big wimp, but my oldest two boys trained themselves. I gave them lots of opportunities, and reminded them fairly often that they couldnt go to school unless they were out of diapers and not having accidents. They both trained within a few weeks of starting JK (about age 3) both pee and poo, and day and night. Each had ONE accident after we were done.

friday said:
Maybe I am a big wimp, but my oldest two boys trained themselves. I gave them lots of opportunities, and reminded them fairly often that they couldnt go to school unless they were out of diapers and not having accidents. They both trained within a few weeks of starting JK (about age 3) both pee and poo, and day and night. Each had ONE accident after we were done.

My daughter...I think this is a funny story. She was 2 and she kept wanting to use the toilet. Well, about 20 times a day I would sit her on there because she INSISTED, but would never do anything. I got to the point where I wouldn't let her anymore because I didn't have time to sit there and watch her do nothing all day.

Well, I was at a party at my sister's house one night, and my mom changed her diaper and was saying to her, "You know Drew, one of these days you're gonna have to start using the potty and not wear diapers anymore." Whatever, I didn't think twice about it. Well, as soon as we walked back in the door of our house, she was taking her shoes off and started going owee, owee owee and holding herself. She used the potty and was trained instantly. She never had an accident or anything. All it took was a little talk from grandma and she was instantly potty trained. Even at night! I think I put pullups on her at night for about a week, and I don't think she even peed in them. It was crazy!!! Two years old, just a talk!

Sorry, just had to share cuz I think it's so funny!

I can honestly say after waiting on my son to be trained for 3 years that they will go when they are ready and not before. I tried bribes, treats, everything I could think of. He would pee but not poop. I did put him in briefs and totally did away with pull-ups except to sleep in b/c I did not want to wash sheets every day. I think that did help, but until he made up his mind he was ready to do it he did not. He started the week before his birthday (July 19) and he has not had a single accident since then.

I was always one that thought you could make them be trained but I found out how wrong I was and ate those words!!!

With my 3 year old son we tried the 3 day potty training method, didn't work for us. But the one thing we did take from and stick with was we never used pull-ups-he wouldn't wear them anyway. We took all of his diapers away, got rid of them, didn't even keep any just in case. There shouldn't be a just in case. So it took him a good 4-6 weeks. He has never peed the bed. He took up peeing on the potty quicker than pooping. We changed clothes 4-8 times a day. He never did sit down to pee-has always stood up. It did take him much longer to poop in the potty though and still to this day he doesn't like to go poop anywhere but home-which is fun!!

well my son is 3 yrs old.. 3 in August.. He's still not potty trained but he did go pee pee in the potty yesterday... He seems pretty content in a diaper or a pull up.. unfortunately it's probably my fault because I've switched him back and forth between diapers and pullups because his bottom gets so red in the pullups sometimes. Man I can't wait for him to decide he wants to just use the potty, but trying not to push him.. Maybe I'll go cold turkey and put him in big boy undies.. although honestly the thought of cleaning out poopy from them seems SO gross to me! but maybe I should just do it and cross my fingers it works?!

Jess_K said:
Maybe I'll go cold turkey and put him in big boy undies.. although honestly the thought of cleaning out poopy from them seems SO gross to me! but maybe I should just do it and cross my fingers it works?!

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!:yuck: I used my spray thing in my sink as soon as he popped in them. I had a bucket that I kept water with cleaner in for soaking.

My DD took a while to poop in the potty but never went in her pants either, yup she held it until she was so backed up we had to give her enema's(yuck!) then eventually we had to add mineral oil to her drinks.(she was about 2.5-3)

DS #1 it took 2 days no accidents nothing, it was amazing really (he was 2!)

DS #2 was a whole other nightmare he was lazy about it went on the pot when he "felt like it" I didn't use pull-ups so I did a lot of laundry!! I finally used candy to bribe him. Starburst..1 for pee 3 for poop we never did finish the bag so once we started it, the candy worked fairly quickly (he was 3 before it was complete)

I totally agree that they need to go in their own time, but it would be nice to be able to coax them a little bit!

Thanks for all your tips. I'll just let it run it's course and keep encouraging her. She'll get there eventually! :)

has anyone ever had their son take off his pants and diaper in the crib and then go potty in his crib???????? my son did that the other day and has done it once before. Is that just a boy thing before being potty trained??? I hope so!

momoftwins said:
has anyone ever had their son take off his pants and diaper in the crib and then go potty in his crib???????? my son did that the other day and has done it once before. Is that just a boy thing before being potty trained??? I hope so!

My son did not do that thankfully!!I do not know what to tell u about that.

When will you know it is a good time to start potty training? My DD is almost 20m... some friends have been saying I should start trying.

JaimeQ said:
When will you know it is a good time to start potty training? My DD is almost 20m... some friends have been saying I should start trying.

If you get a potty (or a small seat that goes on the regular toilet - much nicer...nothing to clean up!) and just show it to her, she will eventually show interest and want to go herself. They somehow start to get interested on their own, and before you know it, it just happens!

What we did with our DD is I printed some potty training sheets off of the internet and we bought her stickers (she LOVES stickers :love0010: !!). Everytime she peed, she got to pick a sticker and put it on the chart (which was taped to the wall beside the toilet). I even had her choose the chart she wanted. It worked great.......although sometime it took longer to pick out the sticker than to pee!! LOL

PChefPEI said:
If you get a potty (or a small seat that goes on the regular toilet - much nicer...nothing to clean up!) and just show it to her, she will eventually show interest and want to go herself. They somehow start to get interested on their own, and before you know it, it just happens!

What we did with our DD is I printed some potty training sheets off of the internet and we bought her stickers (she LOVES stickers :love0010: !!). Everytime she peed, she got to pick a sticker and put it on the chart (which was taped to the wall beside the toilet). I even had her choose the chart she wanted. It worked great.......although sometime it took longer to pick out the sticker than to pee!! LOL

She has a potty and loves to sit on it, and play with it. Would be a good idea to bring her potty in to the living room or would that suggest to her that it is a toy? I currently keep it in the bathroom, but the door is shut cause other wise she plays in the "big potty"... and unrolls all the toilet paper.

JaimeQ said:
She has a potty and loves to sit on it, and play with it. Would be a good idea to bring her potty in to the living room or would that suggest to her that it is a toy? I currently keep it in the bathroom, but the door is shut cause other wise she plays in the "big potty"... and unrolls all the toilet paper.

If it were me, I would keep it in the bathroom. I'm sure it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Maybe it's just because there's enough stuff in the living room, I wouldn't want to add to it.

And the toilet paper thing....mine did that too and it didn't last, so hopefully, you'll be that lucky too!! :)

squish your tp once you have it on the roll. It doesnt roll off as easy anymore and its not as much fun.
I wouldnt put it in the living room. Part of the training process is appropriate location.

JMHO

diaper off! messy messy!
momoftwins said:

Unfortunately this happened with our son.. even after his crib... he'd take his diaper off and.. well poopy everywhere.. we went and bought a carpet shampooer...doesnt' happen too much anymore, but ever once in a while he reaches in his diaper.. trust me we're trying very hard to potty train.. only have went pee pee in his crib.. we had to find clothes that he couldnt' get off...

NOW we are having problems with our 17 month girl doing this.. she wears one piece outfits that snap in the back to bed... she can't get them off yet.
sometimes overalls too..
good luck.... think it eventually passes.....

Related to Who Deserves a Round of Applause for Their Toilet Training Efforts?

1. Why is my child having trouble with toilet training?

There can be a variety of reasons why a child may have trouble with toilet training. Some common factors include a lack of readiness or interest, fear or anxiety, or inconsistency in the training approach. It's important to assess your child's individual needs and address any underlying issues before moving forward with toilet training.

2. How can I make toilet training easier for my child?

One way to make toilet training easier for your child is to create a positive and supportive environment. This can include using positive reinforcement, such as praise and rewards, and being patient and understanding when accidents happen. It's also helpful to establish a routine and consistency in the training process.

3. What are some common mistakes parents make during toilet training?

Some common mistakes parents make during toilet training include starting too early, pushing their child too hard, or punishing accidents. It's important to remember that every child develops at their own pace and that accidents are a normal part of the learning process. It's also important to avoid negative reactions or pressure, as this can create stress and hinder progress.

4. How long does toilet training typically take?

The length of time it takes to successfully complete toilet training can vary greatly from child to child. Some may become fully trained in a few weeks, while others may take several months. It's important to be patient and not compare your child's progress to others. Remember to celebrate small victories and continue to provide support and encouragement throughout the process.

5. What can I do if my child is resistant to toilet training?

If your child is resistant to toilet training, it may be helpful to take a step back and reassess the situation. Consider if your child is truly ready for training or if there are any underlying issues that may be causing resistance. It's also important to remain calm and patient, and to avoid forcing or pressuring your child. If necessary, seek guidance from a pediatrician or other healthcare professional for additional support and advice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• OhmyDLM
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
cincychef
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • Kathytnt