• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's Causing My Baby's Low Temperature?

In summary, a mother is seeking advice about her baby who has been feeling very warm and acting unwell. Her ear thermometer is showing a reading of ninety-five degrees and she wonders if anyone knows what could be causing this. Some suggest that the ear thermometer may be inaccurate and recommend trying a different one. Others suggest checking for earwax or trying a rectal thermometer for a more accurate reading. The mother suspects that her baby may be teething due to drooling and discomfort, but is still concerned about the high temperature. Some suggest giving the baby a cold washcloth or a homeopathic teething tablet for relief. It is also mentioned that the baby recently received shots, which may be causing the fever. However, some advise getting a new
pamperedape
Hey guys! I never had this happen with my oldest, but the baby has been feeling very warm, acting like he feels crummy, etc. When we take his temp - it reads ninety-five degrees! Anyone know what could be going on??

What kind of thermometer is it? If it's one of those ear ones - they are notorious for being inaccurate. I'd try a different thermometer if you have one.

Yeah, it's the ear one and I've had it since Noah was born (5 yrs. ago next week!). DH went and got new batteries and such, but it still reads the same. Hmmm...

Check both ears for one...temperatures differ in each ear...also if there is a lot of ear wax they won't read right either.High temperature isn't always a signal of illness...Is he teething maybe? Check for molars especially depending on age...

Yeah, he's sleeping finally and we've checked the ear that he's NOT laying on. I keep hoping that he'll roll over - but he is OUT like a light. Poor guy. I think he's just teething. He's playing and acting fine - just GROUCHY. He's drooling like a faucet and his diapers have been less than fun to change the past two days. I just get really weird when my kids get that warm. Working with special needs children I have seen too many who were fine until their fever spiked too high when they were small. Ugh.

Thanks for the input guys!

pamperedape said:
Yeah, he's sleeping finally and we've checked the ear that he's NOT laying on. I keep hoping that he'll roll over - but he is OUT like a light. Poor guy. I think he's just teething. He's playing and acting fine - just GROUCHY. He's drooling like a faucet and his diapers have been less than fun to change the past two days. I just get really weird when my kids get that warm. Working with special needs children I have seen too many who were fine until their fever spiked too high when they were small. Ugh.

Thanks for the input guys!

Yes, DEFINITELY is sounding like teething to me! I hope he feels better...a little tylenol might help him be more comfortable.

I agree with Janet on the teething thing - and remember maybe your older one didn't do that when he teethed but all babies are different - IF you still aren't sure, call your ped and bring him in.

Sounds like teething...poor baby:( As far as the temp goes, I'm a bit old school & swear a rectal temp is the most reliable...not pleasant for the baby but much more acurate. BTW there's a homeopathic teething tablet by Hyland's that helped both my boys (& me) deal with the teething, I think Walmart sells it. :)

HTH

when my daughters were teething they enjoyed a washcloth damp that had been put into the fridge or freezer. just something to chew on that was flexible and cold.

Has he had any shots lately?? When my DD got her shots for kindergarten she slept for a full 18 hours straight!!!

When our ear therm got old, it read only 93 degrees. I'd get a new one.
Hope the baby is feeling better.

Yeah anytime I try and use the ear therm my DD's temp is like 93 degrees. I even checked it against an oral therm on me and it said my ear was 101 degrees and my mouth was 97 degrees. Needless to say I got rid of the ear therm. It was brand new!

daniellemorgan said:
Yeah anytime I try and use the ear therm my DD's temp is like 93 degrees. I even checked it against an oral therm on me and it said my ear was 101 degrees and my mouth was 97 degrees. Needless to say I got rid of the ear therm. It was brand new!

You have to use it properly also - if it is not properly placed with the plastic covers and in the ear correctly, it will read wrong.

With anything, it has to be used per instructions.

I'm thinking it's seen it better days. We got it at a shower for our now (almost!) five year old. (I'm holding on to the FACT that he's still FOUR!)

Time for a new one...

I'm sorry I'm late-my recommendation, and I HATE doing this, but check it rectally-that's the MOST accurate temp. As a matter of fact, my DS (2) had a high temp-102 in his ear about a month ago, I couldn't do anything to break it and took him to the ER-their ear thermometer said 96 degrees. After a good argument with the nurse the doctor told her to get a rectal temp and he was at 105! Needless to say, his ear thermometer was trashed, and I use his armpit now(since he won't keep the thermometer in his mouth long enough). Every child is different, do what you feel is best!

Sorry for the book, just wanted to share that with you! Hope it helps!

AnnaPChef said:
I'm sorry I'm late-my recommendation, and I HATE doing this, but check it rectally-that's the MOST accurate temp. As a matter of fact, my DS (2) had a high temp-102 in his ear about a month ago, I couldn't do anything to break it and took him to the ER-their ear thermometer said 96 degrees. After a good argument with the nurse the doctor told her to get a rectal temp and he was at 105! Needless to say, his ear thermometer was trashed, and I use his armpit now(since he won't keep the thermometer in his mouth long enough). Every child is different, do what you feel is best!

No fun, but the most accurate, I agree.

My ped. told me not to waste my money on the ear therm. He said the chances of an acurate reading is slim to none, they aren't worth the cost.

AnnaPChef said:

Yup, this is what I was going to recommend, too... For under age 1, my pediatrician ALWAYS asked for the rectal temp. I have twins, so I got pretty good at taking them... :blushing:

Evan has always done very good with me taking his rectal temp. Our Ped. asks for that if I call in, or if I have to take him in.

I just hold his legs up with my left hand, (like I do when changing his diaper) and my rectal thermometer has a bit of a "ledge" on it to show you how much to insert it...it's really not that far...and Evan usually sits there and doesn't even know what's going on! Oh...I also coat it with Vaseline first... Sorry if that's TMI. I agree with many of the above posters- a rectal is the best when they are too young to do an under the tongue read.

I have an awesome thermometer! Its a digital rectal thermometer made by Vicks. We got so many at my shower and none of them worked correctly (even with all of their directions). The Vicks one tells you how far to put it in, and it only takes 10 seconds to get a reading. I also lube it up to make it easier on her. It really was one of the best things we bought.

Related to What's Causing My Baby's Low Temperature?

1. What is the best way to take a baby's temperature?

The most accurate way to take a baby's temperature is with a digital thermometer. You can use either a rectal thermometer or a temporal artery thermometer.

2. What temperature is considered a fever for a baby?

A rectal temperature of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher is considered a fever in babies. For other methods of taking temperature, refer to the specific instructions for the thermometer.

3. How often should I take my baby's temperature?

If your baby is sick, you may need to take their temperature every 4-6 hours. Otherwise, it is not necessary to take their temperature regularly. If you notice any symptoms of illness, then taking their temperature can help determine if they have a fever.

4. How can I make taking my baby's temperature easier?

Using a rectal thermometer can be the most accurate method for taking a baby's temperature, but it can also be uncomfortable for both you and your baby. To make it easier, you can use a lubricant such as petroleum jelly and try to distract your baby with a toy or song.

5. When should I call a doctor about my baby's temperature?

If your baby is under 3 months old and has a rectal temperature of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher, you should call their doctor immediately. For babies older than 3 months, call their doctor if they have a rectal temperature of 102.2°F (39°C) or higher or if they have other symptoms such as a rash, difficulty breathing, or lethargy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
merego
  • kristina16marie
  • General Chat
Replies