• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What to Do When You Bounce a Check?

In summary, this person's bank told them they could just re-cash the check, which only covers the amount that was written on it. If they want to collect the fees, the person would need to write a new check for the full amount. This happened to this person about a month ago, and they were able to solve the problem by going to their guest's bank and cashing it out.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
This is my first bounced check... Luckily the host was really great and called me before I even found out from my bank. The bank mailed me back a "copy" of the check that says that the check can be used just like the original copy. Do I just take that check back to the bank (or to her's) and try to cash it again? The host told me that her husband's disability check cleared the day after and she went about $3 in the hole! I feel so bad but I'm grateful she called me first and offered to pay for the check fees and everything! I was glad to find out my bank only charges $7.50 plus 45 cents in tax for it! I just wasn't for sure if I needed to get a new check from my host or if I can use the check the bank sent me.

You can use the copy from the bank.

When this happened to me, I just got a new check. I am glad that it has only happened once.

When this has happened to me, I was told by the bank that I could just re-cash the check. It is valid. But it is only for the amount that she wrote it for. If you want to collect the fees too, I would have her write you a new check for the new amount.

And you may want to verify with the her bank that funds exist before trying to re-deposit.

A few months ago I had a guest bounce a check. I called, she was shocked/mortified. In all fairness, it had taken the host over 3 weeks to get me the check and by the time I got it and deposited it, it had been a month. So she assured me she had money in the account and was getting me new check ASAP. I called on Tuesday, I got the check on Thursday. I just had a feeling I should try her bank to cash the check (instead of just depostiing it in mine). So on Friday, I tried to cash it at her bank. Not enough money in the account (the check was for under $40). I tried 2x a week for 3 weeks until I was able to get to her account on the day it could cover the check. If I had re-deposited, I would have been hit with add'l bank charges.

kam said:
When this has happened to me, I was told by the bank that I could just re-cash the check. It is valid. But it is only for the amount that she wrote it for. If you want to collect the fees too, I would have her write you a new check for the new amount.

And you may want to verify with the her bank that funds exist before trying to re-deposit.

A few months ago I had a guest bounce a check. I called, she was shocked/mortified. In all fairness, it had taken the host over 3 weeks to get me the check and by the time I got it and deposited it, it had been a month. So she assured me she had money in the account and was getting me new check ASAP. I called on Tuesday, I got the check on Thursday. I just had a feeling I should try her bank to cash the check (instead of just depostiing it in mine). So on Friday, I tried to cash it at her bank. Not enough money in the account (the check was for under $40). I tried 2x a week for 3 weeks until I was able to get to her account on the day it could cover the check. If I had re-deposited, I would have been hit with add'l bank charges.

I was supposed to call her when I found out but things have been so crazy this weekend, I haven't had time to do much else. I have no problem cashing this check and getting another payment from her. She's a recruit lead and wants to possibly book again in March so I need to contact her anyway.

I do think I will go to her bank and just cash it out if I have time.

I got my 1st one this last week the lady was suppose to bring the amount of the check and the fee well she never did and wouldn't return calls so I finally took it to her bank and cashed it I know I am out the fee but I would rather be out of that amount then the whole amount since she has her products and when I called her and she acted like it was totally no big deal. I know if I ever bounced a check I would be totally horrified and feel like a heel for sure.

christinaspc said:
I got my 1st one this last week the lady was suppose to bring the amount of the check and the fee well she never did and wouldn't return calls so I finally took it to her bank and cashed it I know I am out the fee but I would rather be out of that amount then the whole amount since she has her products and when I called her and she acted like it was totally no big deal. I know if I ever bounced a check I would be totally horrified and feel like a heel for sure.

Me too! I bounced my first check within the last two years. I had put a deposit into my personal check register but then never cashed the check! I was mortified when I called the bank. Luckily they worked with me since it was the only check I have bounced with them in over 8 years. I would never even give someone a check if the money was never there! I know I have wrote checks on a Thursday night knowing I would get paid Friday but nothing more than that!

I had a girl a week or so ago call me and left a message (I was at work) to tell me her check was going to bounce ($15.37) and she wanted to get together to pay for it. I was really impressed that she would call me before it even was returned by my bank.

I called her back and left a message that I had received her message and we needed to talk to make payment arrangements for the charge plus her payment. I have still not heard from her! She received her products, so I am going to call her again and if I haven't heard from her by Wednesday I will send a certified/return slip letter giving her 10 days to pay me using cash or a cashier's check plus the fee before I take it to the magistrate. It may only have been $15.37, but that is stealing to me. Plus I get charged from the bank for her error. I am not paying for her products.
I have a label in each of my folders showing that I charge $30.00 minimum for a returned check ( I have had to drive over an hour to pick up cash so this covers my bank fee + expenses and I don't have to charge that much but I don't want to short myself).
My newest dilema, I was only going to charge her the fee my bank charges me ($10.00), but now that it has been 2 weeks, I am a bit bitter and would like to charge her more.

In the past 5 years, I've only had like 3 returned checks and generally, they are very eager to fix the problem. HOWEVER, I now have one and the person will NOT return my calls. I'm just going to go to her bank today with the copy and see if I can't get my money. My bank doesn't charge me anything on a returned deposit (thankfully) but I am trying to decided whether I should start charging a fee???

I am in the process of trying to collect on a $80 bounced check. This was a guests check. The host's check also bounced for $156. (The host sells MK, and this guest had ordered MK from her, and that check bounced, which the host had depended on the funds from that, to pay her PC order). Luckily, I got a cash repayment from the host for her check. The guest doesn't answer my calls, but sent me an e-mail saying she was having marital problems, and that she would send me a check out on Thursday or Friday (of last week). As of today, still no check!!! I told her last week, that I would have to charge her a fee if I did not receive payment soon. I did call her bank yesterday, and her account has been closed!!!!

Bren706 said:
I am in the process of trying to collect on a $80 bounced check. This was a guests check. The host's check also bounced for $156. (The host sells MK, and this guest had ordered MK from her, and that check bounced, which the host had depended on the funds from that, to pay her PC order). Luckily, I got a cash repayment from the host for her check. The guest doesn't answer my calls, but sent me an e-mail saying she was having marital problems, and that she would send me a check out on Thursday or Friday (of last week). As of today, still no check!!! I told her last week, that I would have to charge her a fee if I did not receive payment soon. I did call her bank yesterday, and her account has been closed!!!!

Since your host knows that her check bounced, did she give the Customer the product? If not, you can return the order and get credit. Call HO, explain the situation. If it's within 30 days, they should also cover shipping. It won't affect the host benefits or your commission.

Unfortunately, the host had already given the guest the products. It was before we knew about the check.

I had a guests check bounce over a month ago. I called her and she said she had been in the hospital and would get a money order out that day. The check was for $30.25 plus she was paying the $10 fee. To date I have yet to receive the money order and she already has her goods. Now she refuses to come to the phone when I call. Today I am sending a letter to her that she has to sign for. After that I fear I am out the $ :(

I just had my first bounced check. Fortunately the host has not given the guest the products. Did not really want to get the host involved but also did not want to be out for the cost of the products. I am supposed to get another check but until then, my host will hold onto the products.What I have learned from this experience is to not close a party until the checks have cleared. I will let my hosts know this and that things will obviously close faster when paying cash or credit card.I don't want to be a collection agency.

doughmama said:
I just had my first bounced check. Fortunately the host has not given the guest the products. Did not really want to get the host involved but also did not want to be out for the cost of the products. I am supposed to get another check but until then, my host will hold onto the products.

What I have learned from this experience is to not close a party until the checks have cleared. I will let my hosts know this and that things will obviously close faster when paying cash or credit card.

I don't want to be a collection agency.

That's only fair! We are in a business that we have to pay for everything up front out of our pocket. I think that's partly why PC says 2-3 weeks shipping. I can hold closing a show a few days to give checks a chance to clear.

One other POSSIBLE solution if you really want to close a show sooner- if you have the ability to go to the banks locally and cash them at their banks...that works too. I've done that (just to try it) for a customer order. Her bank was in my town so I just cashed the check at her bank. I think when POSSIBLE, I'll put them together and just do that. Most banks are all across or in the same general region from each other. Just a thought.

Related to What to Do When You Bounce a Check?

1. What happens when you bounce a check?

When you bounce a check, it means that you have written a check for an amount that is more than the available balance in your bank account. This can result in the check being returned unpaid and you may be charged a fee by your bank.

2. How can I avoid bouncing a check?

To avoid bouncing a check, make sure to keep track of your account balance and only write checks for amounts that you have available in your account. You can also set up alerts or notifications from your bank to inform you when your account balance is low.

3. What should I do if I bounce a check?

If you bounce a check, you should contact the recipient of the check and explain the situation. You should also contact your bank to see if they can reverse the fee or if you can make a deposit to cover the check amount. It is important to take immediate action to avoid any further consequences.

4. Can I bounce a check unintentionally?

Yes, it is possible to bounce a check unintentionally. This can happen if you forget to record a recent transaction or if there is a delay in the processing of a deposit or withdrawal from your account.

5. What are the consequences of bouncing a check?

The consequences of bouncing a check can include fees from your bank and the recipient of the check, a damaged credit score, and even legal action in some cases. It is important to be responsible and avoid bouncing checks to avoid these consequences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KayPT
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lesliec
  • jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • adauw