• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Should You Consider When Buying a Pressure Cooker?

In summary, pressure cookers can come in digital or non-digital versions. They can have different capacities and some features that are good to have are a timer and a pressure release system.
kam
Staff member
I am thinking about buying a Pressure Cooker and have no idea what I should be looking for.

Looking for anyone who can recommend brands/models.

Also, what features are good to have? What features did you bypass, but now wish your pressure had?

Anything else I should consider?

THANKS!:)

I have had a pressure cooker for many years. It is the old fashioned kind for the stove. Presto is what I have. I have a "regular" sized one and a huge one that I use mainly for canning.
I am not familiar with the newer versions that have come out in recent years. I LOVE mine. I use them quite regularly!

I have a 5 qt. digital pressure cooker I got several years ago from QVC; not sure of the brand, but it's been great - esp. last summer when it so freakin' hot in Texas. Kept my kitchen a lot cooler. I love that I can that I can come home from work, stick frozen meat in it and within 30 minutes have dinner ready by just heating up canned veggies in the micro cooker in the microwave.

I've had a non-electric pressure cooker for years (since before electric models became available), maybe used it twice. I'm afraid to use it and have lost the manual. I remember my mom used one often when I was a kid and it always seemed like it was gonna explode. But I really want to try it again (If I can find all the parts) or get an electric one.

ChefPeg....you can always go online to get the manual for your pressure cooker. I imagine it is a Presto because they were about the only ones who made them way back when...lol

carlajanes said:
ChefPeg....you can always go online to get the manual for your pressure cooker. I imagine it is a Presto because they were about the only ones who made them way back when...lol

Oh, I know...I just keep forgetting to look. But you're right, it probably is a Presto...I got it from Sears about 12 years ago.

eta: I just looked at it, it's a Manttra.

Last edited:
I had a 6 quart one and used it all the time until the seal broke.

I now use the 4 quart one my brother left behind.

I really wish it was bigger because I like to make a big pot of beef stew in it!

Related to What Should You Consider When Buying a Pressure Cooker?

What are the benefits of using a pressure cooker?

Using a pressure cooker can significantly reduce cooking time, making it a great option for busy individuals. It also helps retain more nutrients in food compared to other cooking methods. Pressure cookers are versatile and can be used for cooking a variety of dishes such as soups, stews, meats, and even desserts.

What should I look for when choosing a pressure cooker brand?

When choosing a pressure cooker brand, consider the size, material, and safety features. Make sure the size is suitable for your cooking needs and kitchen space. Stainless steel cookers are more durable, while aluminum cookers are more affordable. Look for safety features such as pressure release valves and locking lids to prevent accidents in the kitchen.

What are the different types of pressure cooker features?

Some common features of pressure cookers include multiple pressure settings, built-in timers, and automatic shut-off. Some models also come with additional features such as browning, sautéing, and slow cooking functions. Consider your cooking needs and budget when deciding which features are important for you.

What is the difference between electric and stovetop pressure cookers?

Electric pressure cookers are more convenient as they do not require monitoring and have built-in safety features. Stovetop pressure cookers, on the other hand, allow for more control over the cooking process and tend to be more durable. Consider your cooking style and preferences when choosing between the two types.

Are there any maintenance tips for pressure cookers?

To ensure your pressure cooker lasts, make sure to clean it thoroughly after each use. Regularly check the gasket for any cracks or damage and replace it if needed. Avoid using abrasive cleaners and always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper maintenance. It is also recommended to have your pressure cooker inspected by a professional every year.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • Tropicalburstqt2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Tropicalburstqt2
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe