• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Scares Me About Mccain's/Gop's Choice for Vp

In summary, Deepak Chopra discusses the impact of Gov. Sarah Palin's selection as the Republican vice presidential candidate on the national psyche. He compares her to Barack Obama, stating that she represents the shadow side of his idealistic and visionary message. Chopra analyzes Palin's appeal to many Americans, highlighting her emphasis on small town values, ignorance of world affairs, and rigid stands on social issues. He also notes the irony of her being a woman and a reactionary at the same time. Chopra believes that the upcoming election will be a contest between the forces of progress and inertia, with Palin shedding light on this conflict. He concludes by stating that it is important for voters to see past the surface persona of candidates and understand their true intentions.
chefsteph07 said:
GIVE ME A BREAK
No, it did NOT have to be said. I don't even recall that being a topic for quite some time, like since 91 so get off it.

Yeah, I haven't heard it since '91 either...:confused:

Seriously, do you really think it's just about oil? I am pretty sure nuclear weapons aimed at us is a big reason why we went after Saddam. Though little has been reported about it, we have taken out uranium which was for that purpose. It was reported in even my local paper, but it was just a tiny little article. And, for saftey purposes, it wasn't reported until after the uranium was safely on a ship on it's way to Canada. I don't think Saddam was going to use it for nuclear energy.

There is so much not reported in the mainstream news media. And, there is a lot of information not given out because this is a war. Things have to be secret. This war isn't about oil. It's about freedom. Ours and the world's freedom to be safe from EVIL TERRORISTS! I happen to believe that the USA is not part of the evil terrorists, but many liberals believe we are acting like terrorists. That's just wrong.

I believe what Palin believes from what I've heard from her so far. I would like her to explain what she thinks are President Bush's mistakes. Yes, he's made them, but every president/administration makes them, and everyone has a different opinion on what counts as a mistake.

Then why bring it up just to get a reaction?
That was uncalled for an unnecessary.:mad:

JAE said:
Seriously, do you really think it's just about oil? I am pretty sure nuclear weapons aimed at us is a big reason why we went after Saddam. Though little has been reported about it, we have taken out uranium which was for that purpose. It was reported in even my local paper, but it was just a tiny little article. And, for saftey purposes, it wasn't reported until after the uranium was safely on a ship on it's way to Canada. I don't think Saddam was going to use it for nuclear energy.

There is so much not reported in the mainstream news media. And, there is a lot of information not given out because this is a war. Things have to be secret. This war isn't about oil. It's about freedom. Ours and the world's freedom to be safe from EVIL TERRORISTS! I happen to believe that the USA is not part of the evil terrorists, but many liberals believe we are acting like terrorists. That's just wrong.

I believe what Palin believes from what I've heard from her so far. I would like her to explain what she thinks are President Bush's mistakes. Yes, he's made them, but every president/administration makes them, and everyone has a different opinion on what counts as a mistake.

It's not about oil, she was bringing something up that didn't need to be...to get a reaction...it was a ridiculous comment.

chefsteph07 said:
Then why bring it up just to get a reaction?
That was uncalled for an unnecessary.:mad:

What?? I have no idea what you're talking about.

No, I don't believe the war was all about oil. But it certainly wasn't about terrorists either. And it DEFINITELY wasn't about nuclear weapons, because Iraq never had any (information that was known to the administration well before they made the decision to go to war.)

And don't say that I don't know what the government knew and didn't know...I have a friend who worked for the CIA during that time.

chefsteph07 said:
It's not about oil, she was bringing something up that didn't need to be...to get a reaction...it was a ridiculous comment.

I didn't need to get a reaction. Just raising a valid point of why we choose to go to war w/ certain countries over others...resources. You can pretend that all wars are valiant as much as you want, but not everyone's intentions are pure.

Hathery said:

No, I don't believe the war was all about oil. But it certainly wasn't about terrorists either. And it DEFINITELY wasn't about nuclear weapons, because Iraq never had any (information that was known to the administration well before they made the decision to go to war.)

And don't say that I don't know what the government knew and didn't know...I have a friend who worked for the CIA during that time.
Well, actually, I may say whatever I want to say. And, I didn't say they had nuclear weapons. They had the technology and the materials to create them. I frankly don't care what your friend in the CIA thinks s/he knows or shares with you. I just want to be clear that I don't believe the war is about the oil. I'm not going to argue with you about the facts.

Hathery said:

So are you saying that your friend breached confidentiality by telling you things that other people aren't supposed to know?
How can you say it wasn't about terrorists?
How do you know the gov't knew there weren't any supposed weapons? Boy, maybe you should get a job working for the govt w/ all that you know.
It sounds to me like you think you know a whole lot.

Hathery said:

And that friend is giving you confidential information? And is privy to all of the information from that time? Interesting.

ChefBeckyD said:
And that friend is giving you confidential information? And is privy to all of the information from that time? Interesting.

Yep. She no longer works for the CIA, and did share of the information she learned during that time. Not a great idea, but that was her choice.

ChefBeckyD said:

EXACTLY my point in my other post! Isn't it interesting though?

chefsteph07 said:
So are you saying that your friend breached confidentiality by telling you things that other people aren't supposed to know?
How can you say it wasn't about terrorists?
How do you know the gov't knew there weren't any supposed weapons? Boy, maybe you should get a job working for the govt w/ all that you know.
It sounds to me like you think you know a whole lot.

I've already told you why it wasn't about terrorists...I really don't want to repeat myself again.

The government knew there weren't any weapons because the information was available to them showing there weren't any. I don't need to work for the government; I couldn't tell them anything they don't already know.

chefsteph07 said:
EXACTLY my point in my other post! Isn't it interesting though?

Isn't what interesting? That she did something stupid and shared priveledged information? It's not so much "interesting" as it is "scary" and "a poor decision."

Hathery said:
Isn't what interesting? That she did something stupid and shared priveledged information? It's not so much "interesting" as it is "scary" and "a poor decision."

Disgruntled employee?

I certainly wouldn't want to be her friend...someone who lacks judgement and charcter by spilling confidential info. I'd personally be PISSED if one of my friends did that.
Don't tell her any of YOUR secrets...

ChefBeckyD said:
Disgruntled employee?

Yes, she most certainly is. She trusted her government before she learned a lot of the things she did. :(

Well, I AM part of a group that deals with the government on Homeland Security issues and other technology issues and while I refuse to repeat ANY of what I read and have access to - to ANYONE, including my spouse (and trust me THAT is rare, but he understands because he was part of the same group for awhile). Publically, there is enough knowledge to cause concern. ...and yes, there are other countries building weapons that no doubt in the future will be aimed at us......and don't you think someone as smart as Saddam with all that desert and all that time would know how to hide/destroy things from us?If we can't find Bin Laden for this many years, hiding some weapons is a piece of cake!

chefsteph07 said:
I certainly wouldn't want to be her friend...someone who lacks judgement and charcter by spilling confidential info. I'd personally be PISSED if one of my friends did that.
Don't tell her any of YOUR secrets...

Her judgment is a lot more sound than the people she was working for. That's why it disgusted her and she felt compelled to share. I can totally understand how she wouldn't want to keep something so upsetting to herself.

janetupnorth said:
Well, I AM part of a group that deals with the government on Homeland Security issues and other technology issues and while I refuse to repeat ANY of what I read and have access to - to ANYONE, including my spouse (and trust me THAT is rare, but he understands because he was part of the same group for awhile).

Publically, there is enough knowledge to cause concern. ...and yes, there are other countries building weapons that no doubt in the future will be aimed at us...

...and don't you think someone as smart as Saddam with all that desert and all that time would know how to hide/destroy things from us?

If we can't find Bin Laden for this many years, hiding some weapons is a piece of cake!

So we should pre-emptively strike based on what "could be"? :confused:

My husband works in the engineering dept for a company and he designs military and commercial aircraft and he can't discuss anything either. Nor would I ever want him to.

chefsteph07 said:
My husband works in the engineering dept for a company and he designs military and commercial aircraft and he can't discuss anything either. Nor would I ever want him to.

I work for the court system and can't disclose a lot of personal information. I also worked for the Department of Revenue and was privy to much confidential information. I also don't share the information, but that's my choice...some people make better choices than others. Doesn't make me "not want to be their friend."

Hathery said:
Her judgment is a lot more sound than the people she was working for. That's why it disgusted her and she felt compelled to share. I can totally understand how she wouldn't want to keep something so upsetting to herself.

I'd never associate w/ someone like that.

Hathery said:

That is NOT what I said at all...exactly my earlier point. You cannot read a post and twist it into a viewpoint.

I was stating that I too was involved with information I CANNOT and WILL NOT SHARE.

...and just countering the assumption that no weapons existed. How did you turn that into me saying we should strike any country based on what "could be".

Sounds very similar to the line of questioning directed at Palin this a.m... :rolleyes: ...are you SURE you didn't watch that?

Hathery said:
I work for the court system and can't disclose a lot of personal information. I also worked for the Department of Revenue and was privy to much confidential information. I also don't share the information, but that's my choice...some people make better choices than others. Doesn't make me "not want to be their friend."

Eh, it would me. I don't like to be around people who cant be trusted.

Hathery said:
Yes! Except for the "could be" part. The U.S. military knew what the plans were. Do you think we should wait until the missles are in the air pointing towards our country?

janetupnorth said:
That is NOT what I said at all...exactly my earlier point. You cannot read a post and twist it into a viewpoint.

I was stating that I too was involved with information I CANNOT and WILL NOT SHARE.

...and just countering the assumption that no weapons existed. How did you turn that into me saying we should strike any country based on what "could be".

Sounds very similar to the line of questioning directed at Palin this a.m... :rolleyes: ...are you SURE you didn't watch that?

What you said was "...and don't you think someone as smart as Saddam with all that desert and all that time would know how to hide/destroy things from us?" I was just implying that just because someone COULD do something doing mean they ARE. So it's not a legitimate reason for war. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.

chefsteph07 said:
I'd never associate w/ someone like that.

And you don't have to. God Bless America! :sing:

JAE said:
Yes! Except for the "could be" part. The U.S. military knew what the plans were. Do you think we should wait until the missles are in the air pointing towards our country?

No, wait till they hit the button and there's nothing we can do

JAE said:

There were no "plans." I don't know what "plans" you're referring to.

Hathery said:
There were no "plans." I don't know what "plans" you're referring to.
I'm sure you don't. I'll be back later.

Fact: Did you know you could see Russia from the shores of Alaska? I knew that but thought it was a cool fact from Palin's state.

JAE said:
I'm sure you don't. I'll be back later.

I'll be waiting; I can't wait to hear the details of these "plans."

janetupnorth said:
Fact: Did you know you could see Russia from the shores of Alaska?

I knew that but thought it was a cool fact from Palin's state.

Many people believe that Alaska and Russia were once connected, so it makes sense. It's very cool though! I think Alaska is a neat state.

Hathery, have you ever introduced yourself to this group?
I searched your threads that you have replied to and you have only replied to 3 other ones other than the political ones...
If you have introduced yourself, I'm sorry I must have missed it.
I know Becky made mention of it once last week as well, and I just wondered what your background is, how long you have been w/ PC, etc.

chefsteph07 said:
Hathery, have you ever introduced yourself to this group?
I searched your threads that you have replied to and you have only replied to 3 other ones other than the political ones...
If you have introduced yourself, I'm sorry I must have missed it.
I know Becky made mention of it once last week as well, and I just wondered what your background is, how long you have been w/ PC, etc.
I bumped a thread for that a few days ago for her, but no one posted on it.She has mentioned she is new to PC, grew up in a small town but now lives in Sun Prairie near Madison. She owns a hedgehog...and she can fill in the rest...

The three other posts that were replied on were just today.
I just think it's interesting that someone we don't even know, or knows us, is jumping into a discussion like this...without posting any introduction, or anything PC related other than garlic.

janetupnorth said:
I bumped a thread for that a few days ago for her, but no one posted on it.

She has mentioned she is new to PC, grew up in a small town but now lives in Sun Prairie near Madison. She owns a hedgehog...and she can fill in the rest...

Hehe, you make me sound so interesting! :)

I'll post in the getting to know you area so I don't hijack this thread.

chefsteph07 said:
I just think it's interesting that someone we don't even know, or knows us, is jumping into a discussion like this

Why? Most of us don't really know each other . . . regardless of how long we've been in the business or been posting on CS. When I first started on here, people didn't make formal introductions. I just asked questions or shared ideas on threads I found interesting.

chefjeanine said:
Why? Most of us don't really know each other . . . regardless of how long we've been in the business or been posting on CS. When I first started on here, people didn't make formal introductions. I just asked questions or shared ideas on threads I found interesting.
Most people don't jump straight into a heavy political discussion with people they don't know. That is her point.Most of us discussing have known each other for at least 1 year.Plus it ties to the fact she made some pretty inaccurate assumptions of me to start.

Like I said before--politics get me jazzed up, so I'm more apt to be vocal :)

I contribute to PC-related stuff when I have something to say or ask, but I'm not going to comment on them just for the sake of commenting.

janetupnorth said:
Most people don't jump straight into a heavy political discussion with people they don't know.

Safer for some of us to do here rather than with family and friends. :)

chefjeanine said:
Safer for some of us to do here rather than with family and friends. :)

Good point!! And I don't know about the rest of you, but this is pretty "light" political discussion on my end... :)

Hathery said:
I'll be waiting; I can't wait to hear the details of these "plans."

I never said I was going to be sharing detailed plans. My CIA friends don't share information with me, but if you'd like to read a book and listen to the radio programs to which I listen, then I'll share those with you. I just wanted to let you all know that I'm not scared away by this thread. ;) I just had to leave.

One of the books that I've read is Saddam's Secrets by Georges Sada. There are others, but they are making there way around to family members.

JAE said:
I never said I was going to be sharing detailed plans. My CIA friends don't share information with me, but if you'd like to read a book and listen to the radio programs to which I listen, then I'll share those with you. I just wanted to let you all know that I'm not scared away by this thread. ;) I just had to leave.

One of the books that I've read is Saddam's Secrets by Georges Sada. There are others, but they are making there way around to family members.

Why would I want you scared away from the thread?

Do you have CIA friends, or are you being sarcastic? If you're being sarcastic...then :yuck:

Thanks for sharing the name of the book; I'll look for it.

Hathery said:
Why would I want you scared away from the thread?

Do you have CIA friends, or are you being sarcastic? If you're being sarcastic...then :yuck:

Thanks for sharing the name of the book; I'll look for it.
Well, I figured if you could dish out sarcasm then you could take it. I wouldn't know if I have an friends in the CIA. Aren't they supposed to keep that secret. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

JAE said:
Well, I figured if you could dish out sarcasm then you could take it. I wouldn't know if I have an friends in the CIA. Aren't they supposed to keep that secret. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

You're funny ;)

Just my two cents worth, as I just been catching up on this thread. I personally feel McCain could have made a better choice for VP. I think he went for the woman angle to try and crush Obama in the elections, but in my opinion, it Palin wasn't the right choice.

Yes, she's enthusiastic, and has a go-getter attitude

Do I believe that b/c she’s a mother and a woman should be an issue b/c she is running for VP? Absolutely not, as a woman in the work force who fights everyday to bust through that glass ceiling, I think her politics, views and ability to do the job are far more important than whose looking after her kids. I feel very strongly about people telling me how I should raise my child, which is why I’m not commenting on how she raises hers. All families are different and what works for some, doesn’t always work for others.

My biggest problem w/ her and w/ politics in general, is just tell us the truth and tells us the plan. I don’t care abt what the other candidate did, or how bad he’ll be, I’m smart enough to figure it out for myself. What I want to know is “what’s your plan”, I want details on how you plan to fix our problems, but so far the candidates are lacking in this area.

Again, just my personal opinion. Hope y’all have a great day!

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the first time I heard her on the radio, I thought she sounded just like one of the presenters on the Pampered Chef CD's. She'd be an excellent consultant. Maybe, on Nov. 5th I'll send her an e-mail to see if I can help her with her next career move.

fikibiff said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the first time I heard her on the radio, I thought she sounded just like one of the presenters on the Pampered Chef CD's. She'd be an excellent consultant. Maybe, on Nov. 5th I'll send her an e-mail to see if I can help her with her next career move.

OMG that's hilarious! :)

fikibiff said:

LOL LOL You know since she got rid of the chef in Alaska then she may be interested in the 29 min to dinner cookbook because being the VP of the USA AND having to cook dinner will be hard. :D

<h2>1. What is the main appeal of Sarah Palin as the GOP's choice for VP?</h2><p>The main appeal of Sarah Palin is that she represents the reverse of Barack Obama, triggering feelings of anger, fear, and suspicion in some Americans who may not want to express these sentiments openly. She also embodies a return to small town values and a rejection of progressivism and globalism.</p><h2>2. What are some specific values and beliefs that Palin stands for?</h2><p>Palin stands for small town values, ignorance of world affairs, family values, rigid stances on issues like guns and abortion, patriotism, and reform.</p><h2>3. How does Palin reinforce the overall message of the reactionary right?</h2><p>Palin reinforces the message that social justice is liberal-radical and that progressivism and globalism are threats. She also supports the idea that minorities and immigrants can be ignored and that change is not necessary.</p><h2>4. How does Obama's call for higher ideals in politics relate to the concept of the shadow?</h2><p>The concept of the shadow is that it is the part of the psyche that hides negative qualities and rejects positive ideals. Obama's call for higher ideals in politics can be seen as a conflict between progress and inertia, with the shadow representing the forces of inertia.</p><h2>5. Why is it important to have an honest debate about the conflicting forces of progress and inertia in politics?</h2><p>It is important to have an honest debate about these conflicting forces because it allows for a better understanding of the issues at hand and the values and beliefs held by different individuals. It also allows for a more informed decision-making process in elections.</p>

Related to What Scares Me About Mccain's/Gop's Choice for Vp

1. What is the main appeal of Sarah Palin as the GOP's choice for VP?

The main appeal of Sarah Palin is that she represents the reverse of Barack Obama, triggering feelings of anger, fear, and suspicion in some Americans who may not want to express these sentiments openly. She also embodies a return to small town values and a rejection of progressivism and globalism.

2. What are some specific values and beliefs that Palin stands for?

Palin stands for small town values, ignorance of world affairs, family values, rigid stances on issues like guns and abortion, patriotism, and reform.

3. How does Palin reinforce the overall message of the reactionary right?

Palin reinforces the message that social justice is liberal-radical and that progressivism and globalism are threats. She also supports the idea that minorities and immigrants can be ignored and that change is not necessary.

4. How does Obama's call for higher ideals in politics relate to the concept of the shadow?

The concept of the shadow is that it is the part of the psyche that hides negative qualities and rejects positive ideals. Obama's call for higher ideals in politics can be seen as a conflict between progress and inertia, with the shadow representing the forces of inertia.

5. Why is it important to have an honest debate about the conflicting forces of progress and inertia in politics?

It is important to have an honest debate about these conflicting forces because it allows for a better understanding of the issues at hand and the values and beliefs held by different individuals. It also allows for a more informed decision-making process in elections.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cathyskitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Hathery
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Back