• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Milk Do You Use in Pumpkin Pie?

In summary, both Libby's and Comstock recipes call for evaporated milk. The difference is that Libby's uses sugar while Comstock does not. Eggnog is a great substitution for evaporated milk in either recipe. There are also variations that use different ingredients, such as melted caramel ice cream or white and brown sugar.

What milk do you use in your Pumpkin Pie?

• Evaporated Milk

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Heavy Cream/Half & Half

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
kam
Staff member
I have 2 Pumpkin Pie Recipes and couldn't decide between them.

I have an old Comstock Pie Filling Recipe for Pumpkin Pie that calls for Sweetened Condensed Milk (and no added sugar). The Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe calls for Evaporated Milk. (So, yes, I am using canned pumpkin, not fresh).

Since looking around on the web, I now notice that many just use heavy cream...so here is my poll question:

Which do you use in your Pumpkin Pie? And is there a specific reason you use one over the other?

Sweetened Condensed milk

You should also ask for recipes to go along w/ their choice. :D The difference in milk is going to be different for a reason in the recipe.I just use the recipe on the Libby's can, so I use evaporated milk.

babywings76 said:
You should also ask for recipes to go along w/ their choice. :D The difference in milk is going to be different for a reason in the recipe.

I just use the recipe on the Libby's can, so I use evaporated milk.

Actually my 2 recipes using canned pumpkin are really close. The main difference is that one uses evaporated milk and sugar and the other one cuts out the sugar and uses sweetened condensed milk instead.

I use whipping/heavy cream in my recipe. But I know that I'm odd that way. :eek: I don't used canned milk products usually.

I voted "other" because I make a double batch using 1/2 sweetened condensed and half evaporated. I use brown sugar (the amount called for for 1 pie). It's yummy.I often bake this without a crust. We call it pumpkin mousse or pumpkin custard, but it's really just pumpkin pie baked in a casserole dish.

Well, I was hoping for more votes...but I guess evaporated milk wins.

Thanks for your votes.

I bought one can of each for a last minute decision...

Egg Nog is heavenly in pumpkin pie. I think I heard it on a Martha Stewart show some years ago. I supstitue it for the evaporated milk completely or sometimes do 1/2 evaporated and 1/2 egg nog. I don't even like pumpkin pie but I like this recipe.

jbondr said:
Egg Nog is heavenly in pumpkin pie. I think I heard it on a Martha Stewart show some years ago. I supstitue it for the evaporated milk completely or sometimes do 1/2 evaporated and 1/2 egg nog. I don't even like pumpkin pie but I like this recipe.

I would LOVE to make an Eggnog Pumpkin Pie. As I was searching around on the web trying to solve my original dilemma (evap vs cond milk), I did find a recipe for Eggnog Pumpkin Pie. But, I would have to do it on the sly from DH. He would have a fit. Maybe I'll try it next year the week before Thanksgiving and see if he likes it.

Do you just use the standard Libby's recipe but sub out the evaporated milk?

I just substitute the egg nog in whatever recipe I am using at the time. I think it is usually the one on the side of the can.

Any kind that dosent go... Clump clump as it falls out of the container:yuck:

:cry:Sorry I coundent help myself:D

Egg nog pumpkin pie sounds heavenly.

I use melted caramel ice cream instead of evap. milk and I use both white and brown sugar. Trust me you need a few extra days at the gym after my pies.I have also tried egg nog it is yummy.

Never heard of egg nog in a pumpkin pie but I will definitely be giving it a try for Christmas!!! I love egg nog!!

1. What type of milk is best for making pumpkin pie?

The best type of milk to use in pumpkin pie is whole milk. It has a higher fat content which creates a creamier texture and helps the pie set properly.

2. Can I use almond milk or another non-dairy milk in pumpkin pie?

Yes, you can use non-dairy milk in pumpkin pie, but keep in mind that the texture and flavor may be slightly different. We recommend using a non-dairy milk that is unsweetened and unflavored for the best results.

3. Can I use evaporated milk in pumpkin pie?

Yes, you can use evaporated milk in pumpkin pie. This type of milk is commonly used in traditional pumpkin pie recipes and will give a rich, creamy texture to your pie.

4. Is it necessary to use milk in pumpkin pie?

Yes, milk is an important ingredient in pumpkin pie as it helps the filling to set and adds moisture and richness to the pie. Without milk, the texture and flavor of the pie may be affected.

5. Can I substitute heavy cream for milk in pumpkin pie?

Yes, you can use heavy cream instead of milk in pumpkin pie. This will result in a richer and creamier pie, but keep in mind that the pie may also be higher in calories and fat. Adjust the amount of heavy cream used based on your personal preference.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • narfing
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
doughmama
  • pamperedbecky