• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Is Your Response When Someone Complains About the Price?

In summary, Teresa is moving in with her dad to take care of him since her in-laws won't spend time with her. Her daughter is looking forward to it.
AJPratt
Silver Member
I had someone at a craft fair today say, "Your stuff is so expensive." Actually, I had quite a few. My usual response is something like, "While it may seem pricy now, its less expensive in the long run because you won't have to replace it as frequently." So, I wondered... What might my fellow Cheffers offer as a response?

You get what you pay for!! Of course I would put it much nicer to someones face.

You need to let them know that 66% of the catalog is under $20

Here is the flyer that I got off of here.

Attachments

• 66% Catalog 002.doc
    21 KB · Views: 348
I Love That Flyer!!

I was just about to send the 66% flyer and see that whiteyteresa did already. I did upload the 7 page product by price from CC that it is not until you get to page 6 do you see any products over $50!

Attachments

• productlist_price.pdf
    444.1 KB · Views: 402
Our products are great and worth every penny (most of them!). You can't get the same warranty in a department store or discount store is what I also tell people that complain about our prices. To be honest with you most are priced reasonably and are lower than our competetors!

I tell them there are things of all prices beginning at a $1 and that there are lots of items for $5-$15 that they must just LOVE the expensive items like I do, but that has always been my case! Then I will talk about our quality and warranty.

I tell them that I am so impressed with the pride that PC takes with their products. Then I tell them that PC has a 5 year guarntee (???) on their Quickut Paring Knife that cost $1.25. If they put that much into something that cost so little than just imagine what they put into everything else.

(sorry for the mispelling tonight but I think I am going crazy - we are packing up our house and moving in with my dad and things are mad. I am not sure how to do things because usually I will pack things in boxes with the name of the room to go into but since my dad has everything at his house, it is just so wierd. other than my family's clothes and personal items and my office stuff, everything else needs to be packed away. I know it may seem easier but it isn't - sorry to ramble on)

Good luck with your move Teresa!

I say -- "expensive? They're FREE if you host a show!!!"

KimmyDarling said:
I say -- "expensive? They're FREE if you host a show!!!"

Excellent comment Kim!!!

Teresa: Hope everything is ok!

whiteyteresa said:
I tell them that I am so impressed with the pride that PC takes with their products. Then I tell them that PC has a 5 year guarntee (???) on their Quickut Paring Knife that cost $1.25. If they put that much into something that cost so little than just imagine what they put into everything else.

(sorry for the mispelling tonight but I think I am going crazy - we are packing up our house and moving in with my dad and things are mad. I am not sure how to do things because usually I will pack things in boxes with the name of the room to go into but since my dad has everything at his house, it is just so wierd. other than my family's clothes and personal items and my office stuff, everything else needs to be packed away. I know it may seem easier but it isn't - sorry to ramble on)

Ramble all you want....thats what were here for:D :D :D
I firmly believe all things happen for a reason
Hang in there;) ;) ;)

Thank You all so much

My dad's health is going down hill since my mom died 3 years ago. He has asked me several times to move in with him but sometimes 2 families just can't live together. Lately he isn't looking very good. And mine and my husband financial situation is very good right now so we think that this might be the perfect time to move in with him. My daughter is looking forward to it.
My in-laws won't spend time with her :( so my father is the only grandparent she has. He only leaves the house to get his hair cut, groceries, and the doctors. We visit almost every other day but we have a very busy schedule with my daughter Lucy. She has girl scouts on Monday, then on Tuesday and Friday she has speech thearpy at the health department and Wednesday and Thursday speech thearpy with a private speech teacher. and after speech on Thursday Lucy has dance. Then after all that, there is homework supper and then bedtime. I will take her to her activities as much as possible and then my husband does the rest. There is little time to visit so by moving in she will be able to spend more time with him. It is just so crazy because I am not sure where I am going to put my 6 room house stuff (my husband and I have been married over 14 years - we have collected a lot of stuff) in my dad's house. He has a full basement but who knows. I just have to think happy thoughts and keep on trucking.

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for listening - I am reading

Sorry to hear about your Dad's health! Who knows, moving in might be a really good thing for him! A busy family may just perk him up!

ETA: You can always email me if you don't want to post something!

My response is, "expensive? They are only expensive because alot of our products you will never have to buy again such as our cookware, its awesome! Imagine never having to replace a pan because you ruined the teflon"

I usually point out the quickut paring knife and orange peeler. Not so expensive! And of course, I mention that they can get everything FREE and DISCOUNTED when they have a show.

chefmelody said:
And of course, I mention that they can get everything FREE and DISCOUNTED when they have a show.
That and ask what in particular they are referring to. Then address that product. If they say everything ask if you can just do a little comparison for them. Then compare the mandoline to others on the marked (ours is better and less expensive) and then batter bowl (it is a little more but point out that you won't be replacing it because it doesn't chip - the you get what you pay for/in the long run arguement.).

Don't argue with them and don't get defensive. Look surprised that anyone would think that. :eek:

Wow your daughter is so very lucky Teresa! What a great experience for her! My grandma lived with us for a few years when I was a child and it was so wonderful. The grandparent and child relationship is so special and their bond will be even stronger now.

BethCooks4U said:
Don't argue with them and don't get defensive. Look surprised that anyone would think that. :eek:

Beth, you are so right! I never argue with them because I think it would make me look bad. And lets face it--some people are just arses. I usually try to say, "Really? Why would you say that?" and go from there, but figured I'd get some great ideas from here.

I always remind them of the warranty! I also let them know that I spent ALOT of time researching other kitchen product dealers and our product is almost always the same price or cheaper with a MUCH better warranty!!

I have also said... "While I love Macy's if something breaks and I take it back AFTER 30 or 60 days, they look at me like I'm nuts and its a bit of a fight to get it replaced."

Ahhhh.... There's nothing like the smell of a Macy's at Christmastime. (sigh)

I agree that many items are very well priced. But really, the linens are fairly expensive for something you won't use very often. Of course, they may be competively priced for something similar but most people don't use many cloth napkins.

At shows, I often talk about buying a $1 silicone spatula at the dollar store. After a few months, there was mold between the handle and the scraper part. How gross!!!!

Bee, I agree with you. I talk about the same thing with regards to the scrapers! That's disgusting!!! ;)
Jaye :)

I actually have noticed that the price isn't much more expensive then walmart, so I emphasize that.

I also add that many of our products have multiple uses so that often justifies the price.

Rebeccascabinet said:
I also add that many of our products have multiple uses so that often justifies the price.

I do that too. I always try to mention atleast two uses for each project.

I knew my Cheffersd would come through for me! I always need new ideas!

I get this pretty frequently, especially from spouses. This is my standard reply:

"I thought the same thing until I went to my first show. The quality can't be beat. That whisk from the discount store may start out cheaper, but by the time you've replaced it three times it costs a lot more. Plus, did you know that over 70% of our products are under $20? I'm pretty frugal. I do not like to spend money, so I hosted shows to get what I wanted free or at a great discount."

I also sometimes use it as a hidden recruiting tool also. When a customer says something about the price. I go though the ususal about you can buy elsewhere but you won't find the quality of items for cheaper anywhere else. Then I mention the warrenty and I transition into how easy it is to sell products you can be so confident in and how nice it is to truely love your products and your work. It's just a little nudge in that direction but everything helps.

I have saved old "wooden" spoons and have shown them at shows. It works well when people have just complained about the price of our items. I show them the black portion and then proceed to let them pass it around. Then I explain that the black portion is mold and that they are using that spoon to make their family food. EVERYONE HAS A WOODEN SPOON. Every party I have done that at bought the Bamboo spoons

F/w 06 Catalog Price Breakdown!I just got this off of a loop:

PRICE # OF ITEMS
$10 or less - 101 items
$10.01 -$20 108 items
$20.01 -$30 - 37 items
$30.01- $40 - 26 items
$40.01-$50 - 10 items
$50.01-$60 - 3 items
$60.01-$70 - 5 items
$70.01-$80 - 1 item
$80.01-$90 - 1 item
$90.01-$100- 5 items
$100.01-$200-8 items
$200.01-$300-2 items
over $300 -2 items

WOW! OVER 100 ITEMS UNDER $10!

Expensive??I always tell people they get what they pay for.
I give them the example of my husband going to the Lowe's or Home Depot store to get a tool.
Will my husband buy the cheap tool that will break in only a few uses or will he go for the bigger, better, more expensive tool?
BIngo, he goes for the better tool that may be higher priced but will save him time, money and frustration.
SAme for me I work in the kitchen everyday with my four kids. I have to prepare breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, not to mention other special things during the holidays so my time and money are important to me. I would much rather buy a tool that costs $10 instead of a cheap dollar store imitation or even one from Walmart. Why?
Because I will end up going back to the dollar store or Walmart a few more times to replace that item. All the items in the catalog have at least a one year guarantee. Not even Walmart will take back an item after 3-6 months!
The smart choice is to invest in items that you use everyday or very often. The cookware has a lifetime guarantee. I will never have to buy another piece of cookware in my lifetime. That is peace of mind and a smart decision.

I always show the Walmart scraper compared to ours. The gunk trapped in the head of the scraper, the discoloration and the melted head are a great way for me to sell at least five of the scrapers at my show, courtesy of my mother in law!! :p

I sometimes get a person at my shows to complain about the prices and I am ready to come against that myth that PC is too expensive. Also I am quick to let them know that if they have gone to the post office anytime soon they know that $4.00 for shipping is a great deal. If you only order a citrus peeler or the nylon pan scrapers or something small, then yes the shipping seems steep but the $4.00 is actually a great deal for those that purchase a good amount of items like stoneware, several items or even cookware at one time. Then that shipping rate is a real bargain. You could order one of each item in the entire catalog and shipping is only $4.00!! That is not the way other catalog businesses work!!
I do mention that hosting a show will guarantee FREE products if the host does her part and collects outside orders and invites many people to her show!

DEBBIE :D

What I really hate is when the HOST complains about the products and the shipping and handling to her guests. She tries to get everyone to combine orders to save on shipping - even if the order is $50 or more. I mean, I don't want to pay a lot on S&H if I only want a small item, but I don't think the host needs to emphasize the cost as if it's horrible....

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • pampchefsarah
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PamperedK
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef