What is an appropriate gift for a Quinceanera?

Discussion in 'Chef's Lounge' started by AJPratt, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJPratt

AJPratt Silver Member

Hi! We are attending our friend's daughter's Quinceanera on Saturday and I wanted to know what would be an appropriate gift. I would appreciate any suggestions from those who have had/hosted one.

2. Bexamo

Bexamo

OK, I'll Bite...

YOU GOT ME - I'll show my ignorance and ask... What on earth is a Quinceanera? Does it hurt?

3. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Gold Member

Not being hispanic I am going with my Tex-Mex knowledge. A Quinceanera is like a coming out party for hispanic young ladies. They have a special ceremony and beautiful dresses and TONS of gifts. Almost like the Jewish bah mitzvah (sp?).

A great gift is money! Honestly. I know that seems impersonal, but in this case it works. How old is the young lady? Some girls have theirs at 10 or 13, but most (that I know of anyway) have theirs at 16. A savings bond or something like that would be a good gift also.

4. ChefLoriG

ChefLoriG Gold Member

15th Birthday party I think......

5. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Gold Member

Anne--Since this is a family friend do you feel comfortable asking them? That's what I've started doing when my kids get invited to birthday parties.

6. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Gold Member

From another site that tells about the tradition:

The Guests

The mix of family and friends, young and old, near and far – all combine to make the celebration unique and special. Guests experiencing this beautiful tradition for the first time, frequently ask us, “Is a gift appropriate?” Yes, dear friends, a gift is appropriate. A Quinceañera or Sweet Sixteen celebration is basically a big birthday party (although a very special, very memorable one). So, anything that you think the young lady would like to receive would be an appropriate gift.

We do suggest, however, that because this is such a unique birthday, that you select a gift that commemorates this very special event in her life.

7. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Silver Member

I'm glad Rebecca asked. I thought Luis Quinceanera played shortstop for the Toledo Mudhens.

If it was a 95th birthday party, I was going to suggest a respirator or an iron lung but since it's for a 15 year old girl, I'd suggest a set of bars and locks to keep her in and the boys (like I was) out.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  8. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Gold Member

9. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Gold Member

Hmm...where to buy a chastisty belt...

10. cmdtrgd

cmdtrgd Gold Member

Why not start her off with her own PC products? I did that for a gal going off to college and she thought it was awesome!

11. quiverfull7

quiverfull7 Gold Member

Around here in the Hispanic communities it's for the 15th birthday. We attended one for the daughter of one of my husbands coworkers last year.
    It was SO intriguing and fun! What marvelous symbolism in the dances and the gorgeous dresses. This girl is such a sweetheart and that made it even more fun. We gave her a pair of Swarovski Crystal earrings. It was a very special event for us to be honored to attend. Have fun.

12. You ladies are too cute! I love the definitions. I am hispanic and grew up with quinceneras. I never had my own (and I am not crying about it) because my parents didn't have the money for it. I enjoyed going to others though. It is like a sweet sixteen or intro to society. It is when the parents are giving permission for their daughter to grow up and start dating. If you can believe it this is when they can start shaving their legs and wearing make-up.

The most popular gift was to give money. Gift certificates to the popular teen stores or maybe to a spa? Different times now I guess.

My bet in on the monetary gift.

13. katie0128

katie0128 Silver Member

If a spa gift certificate is appropriate, what about one for a manicure and/or pedicure???

14. AJPratt

AJPratt Silver Member

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it is a 15 year old (quince = 15 en espanol). I am close to them, but I don't want to put them on the spot by asking. I'll check to see if Jasmine has pierced ears because a grown up piece of jewelry would be lovely, and make sense from us. Of course, I first thought money and if I can't find anything, then I know it will be acceptable. I know some do that. PC products would be good, if the girl liked to cook, but I wouldn't be comfortable giving that, and she won't be going to college for a few years. They live across the street from me, and I have taken me in as part of their family. My husband and I are invited to everything and the Mom always hosts a HUGE show for me (never less tha $1500), so I want them to know how special they (as well as Jamine) are to me.

15. The_Kitchen_Guy

Wasn't Quince the medical examiner in that old television show with Jack Klugman?

16. AJPratt

AJPratt Silver Member

Good Grief. Surely, you can't be serious.

17. Chozengirl

Chozengirl Gold Member

Thank you for the explanation Rebecca!
    I was CRACKING UP!!!! ROTFLMAOPIMP!!!!
    I am married into hispanic and raised by them.

Anyways, my first thought was a box of condoms, but then she couldn't neccessarily make the boy use them.
    Like previously suggested, a chastity belt would be great too.
    Maybe a 4 year supply of birth control that SHE has no control over!!!

OK, that's enough on my part...
    A spa gift certificate would be a great gift!
    It really all depends on the family though!
    Are they Americanized or are they traditional hispanic?
    OK, that could be a whole other story I can get into too.
    I think you should keep it simple!
    Spa Gift Certificate!

I am now bowing out...

18. DebbieSAChef

DebbieSAChef

Hmmmmmm

Well then you have to make a good impression. These people are important and are like a second family to you. How sweet! I would definitely do something special for her.
    Since her mother is all about Pc and has great parties for you, PC would not be appropriate. For a 15 year old I think that she is at an age where she will appreciate some nice jewelry (necklace, earrings, bracelet, etc).
    Or you could do a Gift certificate to her favorite store (asking mom of course unless you already know which store it is) because I loved shopping sprees as a teenager.
    And yes if all else fails, money is also a girl's best friend. Now to figure out a good amount to give???? Hmmmm.........

Debbie :D

19. The_Kitchen_Guy

Of course I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.

20. Teresa Lynn

Teresa Lynn Gold Member

DO you have a Things Remembered store?
    They have beautiful picture frames you can have engraved.
    I just bought a pretty heart shaped trinket box for a friend's baby shower (we will have it engraved AFTER they agree on the name)
    I think a gift that she can keep & remember you by years from no over $$$.

21. AJPratt

AJPratt Silver Member

We do have a Things Remembered.

LOL

22. chefann

chefann Gold Member

I like the trinket box/jewelry box idea. Those are the things that I have from when I was growing up, that I still use.

23. I love this idea! Things Remembered has a lot of beautiful stuff that a young girl could appreciate.

Also, Anne, since they are so close to you I also like the idea of nice jewelry. Putting these two ideas together may not be bad either. A small box with her initials on it with a nice small pair of earings?

It would be more personal and it would show a lot more thought went into it than just the monetary gift.

24. AJPratt

AJPratt Silver Member

I do like this idea. Hey, money is always just the right size and color, but I wanted something a little more personal.

25. Bexamo

Bexamo

Personalized Jewelery

This may be too difficult to gather together, but I like it! You could assemble a charm bracelet for her, with charms that symbolize the important "stuff" and people in her life at this time or her dreams for the future. Now - someone forward this to my husband! Our anniversary is in a few weeks and I really like this idea! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.