• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

We're Considering a Life Change---

In summary, Kacey is considering moving to either Texas or NC to be a "house-parent" for troubled teen children. The pay is decent, and she would not have a mortgage. She is worried about the trials that may come with the job, but is hopeful for the blessings that may come with it.
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There is a difference between a curmudgeon and a grouch. A grouch is just PO'ed at the world. A curmudgeon points out the absurdities of life and, if you pay attention to him/her, you might be able to fix something you didn't even know was broken.

A guy named Jon Winokur posted this definition of a curmudgeon on a web page and I think he has it down pretty well:

You can see the original page here: http://www.concentric.net/~marlowe/curdef.shtml

Two of the best examples ever of curmudgeons were named Statler and Waldorf, the old men in the box seat of the Muppet Theater in the old The Muppet Show.

rottentomatoes_big.jpg

One of my FAVORITE ever songs.....

It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

It's time to put on makeup
It's time to dress up right
It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight.

Why do we always come here
I guess we'll never know
It's like a kind of torture
To have to watch the show

And now let's get things started
Why don't you get things started
It's time to get things started
On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational
This is what we call the Muppet Show

Kasey, it sounds like you are becoming very committed to this idea! I know that besides doing your homework on it you are praying constantly. What is your next step in the exploration/application process?

Mommmmmm they keep hijacking my thread.....
erinyourpclady said:
One of my FAVORITE ever songs.....

It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

It's time to put on makeup
It's time to dress up right
It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight.

Why do we always come here
I guess we'll never know
It's like a kind of torture
To have to watch the show

And now let's get things started
Why don't you get things started
It's time to get things started
On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational
This is what we call the Muppet Show

♪♫ Some day you'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me lalalalalallaaaalalala♪♫

Kitchen Diva said:
♪♫ Some day you'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me lalalalalallaaaalalala♪♫

Hey.....DH and the kids says thanks as I was just singing that very LOUD!

erinyourpclady said:
Hey.....DH and the kids says thanks as I was just singing that very LOUD!

I'm here to serve! :):angel:

BethCooks4U said:
Kasey, it sounds like you are becoming very committed to this idea!
Several of us around here should be committed.

BethCooks4U said:
Kasey, it sounds like you are becoming very committed to this idea! I know that besides doing your homework on it you are praying constantly. What is your next step in the exploration/application process?

Well I sent them an email asking for more info, and inquiring into whether or not they'd make an exception to their pet rule. Our apartment would be more than enough room for our 3 pets. They currently only allow one. I'd be willing to give my kitten, Camilla Bean to a loving home with dogs (she loves dogs) but I will not separate my dogs. Camilla loves the dogs and our female dog adores the kitty, but Camilla is young, so although the stress of going to another home would cause her to have another respiratory infection, I'm pretty sure after a month or so, she'd be fine.

At least that's what I tell myself! :) LOL

So once I hear more about the dogs- I will then go from there. If they won't allow us to have both our dogs, then it isn't an option- at least this place isn't.

The place in NC does not meet all the expectations that we are looking for like the one in Texas does, so for now, we are looking into the one in Texas... Amarillo, Texas that is. :) Oh, and I forgot to mention in a previous post that they pay for our utilities as well as our home- so we would only have to worry about food and gas and our current consumer debt. :)

Last edited:
Kitchen Diva said:

BTW...I apologize for my part in hijacking. I think it is wonderful what you and DH are considering. Of course, I do wish it was NC and not TX.....but that just shows ya how selfish I am!! :p

me too, Erin! I would love for us all to get together over some Pinot Grigio!

chefmeg said:

erinyourpclady said:
BTW...I apologize for my part in hijacking. I think it is wonderful what you and DH are considering. Of course, I do wish it was NC and not TX.....but that just shows ya how selfish I am!! :p

You two are sooo cute! I don't drink however, so it'd have to be raspberry lemonade or sweet tea, or grape koolaid! :)

The one in NC is a certain denomination that I don't have a problem with, but DH is not quite where I am spiritually so he's a little taken aback by that particular denomination, so I think that would be a place to work towards but not a place to start.

The one in Texas really seems beautiful and large! They give so much info online about their facilities. The one in NC is very vague with what little info they do give. The one in Texas takes children from ALL over the US, and the one in NC only takes children in from the NC area and only the states bordering NC. I like that there is a larger mix of races and nationalities at the one in Texas. That appeals to me more.

Don't worry about the hijacks- I do it to other people so I should expect it to happen to me. And I'm honored that KG would pick my thread to hijack! LOL

chefmeg said:

I am SO there!

Kitchen Diva said:
You two are sooo cute! I don't drink however, so it'd have to be raspberry lemonade or sweet tea, or grape koolaid! :)

The one in NC is a certain denomination that I don't have a problem with, but DH is not quite where I am spiritually so he's a little taken aback by that particular denomination, so I think that would be a place to work towards but not a place to start.

The one in Texas really seems beautiful and large! They give so much info online about their facilities. The one in NC is very vague with what little info they do give. The one in Texas takes children from ALL over the US, and the one in NC only takes children in from the NC area and only the states bordering NC. I like that there is a larger mix of races and nationalities at the one in Texas. That appeals to me more.

Don't worry about the hijacks- I do it to other people so I should expect it to happen to me. And I'm honored that KG would pick my thread to hijack! LOL

Sweet tea it is for Kacey then.....and vino for the rest of us! I think hi-jacks are just a way of life. It's like we are sitting around a table talking and off we go!!!
I know that you have to follow your heart and if that leads to TX..so be it. Seriously....you could be on the moon as long as you could still post on here, I think we would all be good! LOL!!

Sorry but another hi-jack....I am getting closer and closer to that stripper star!

erinyourpclady said:
Sorry but another hi-jack....I am getting closer and closer to that stripper star!

post away you star hungry woman, you! :)

I appreciate you saying that I could be on the moon and you wouldn't care as long as I still posted here. That is so sweet, and I will for sure always post here.

I'm off to bed- I need to get some prayer time in, and write some questions down that I have for the Ranch when they call me next week.

Have a wonderful evening everyone! :)

Kacey~you gotta go with your heart on this decision..."vague" is not good when it comes to making life decisions!
I agree with Erin. As long as you keep posting here with us, you can live anywhere you want...although the wine/sweet tea meeting would be nice!
(I make a mean sweet tea, BTW!)

chefmeg said:
Kacey~you gotta go with your heart on this decision..."vague" is not good when it comes to making life decisions!
I agree with Erin. As long as you keep posting here with us, you can live anywhere you want...although the wine/sweet tea meeting would be nice!
(I make a mean sweet tea, BTW!)
Just say when and where and I'll be there! ...sweet tea or wine for me! - I'm good with either! :rolleyes:

chefmeg said:
Wasn't that the little mouse on the Ed Sullivan show?

topo_gigio.jpg

<h2>1. What are the job requirements for being a "house-parent" for troubled kids and teens in Texas or NC?</h2><p>The specific job requirements may vary depending on the organization or program you are applying to, but generally, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent, pass a background check, and have a strong desire and passion for working with troubled youth. Some organizations may also require prior experience working with children or a degree in a related field.</p><h2>2. Can you tell me more about the role of a "house-parent" for troubled kids and teens?</h2><p>As a "house-parent," you will essentially take on the role of a parent for the children in your care. This may include providing a safe and nurturing environment, helping with daily tasks and responsibilities, and serving as a positive role model and mentor. You may also be responsible for managing the household and coordinating with other staff members to meet the needs of the children.</p><h2>3. What are the benefits and salary for this type of position?</h2><p>The benefits and salary for this type of position can vary depending on the organization and location. Generally, you can expect to receive a fair salary, which may be lower than your previous job, but often includes housing and utilities. You may also receive benefits such as health insurance, vacation time, and retirement plans. It's important to research and compare different organizations to find the best fit for you.</p><h2>4. Have you or anyone you know ever worked as a "house-parent" for troubled kids and teens?</h2><p>I have not personally worked as a "house-parent," but I have known people who have. They have expressed that it can be a challenging but incredibly rewarding experience. Being able to make a positive impact in the lives of troubled youth and helping them overcome their challenges can be very fulfilling.</p><h2>5. What would you do if given a chance to start over?</h2><p>If given the chance to start over, I would likely pursue my passion for food and attend culinary school. However, I also have a strong interest in working with troubled youth, so I would definitely consider taking a job like the one you are considering. Ultimately, it would depend on the specific opportunities available and what felt like the best fit for me and my family.</p>

Related to We're Considering a Life Change---

1. What are the job requirements for being a "house-parent" for troubled kids and teens in Texas or NC?

The specific job requirements may vary depending on the organization or program you are applying to, but generally, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent, pass a background check, and have a strong desire and passion for working with troubled youth. Some organizations may also require prior experience working with children or a degree in a related field.

2. Can you tell me more about the role of a "house-parent" for troubled kids and teens?

As a "house-parent," you will essentially take on the role of a parent for the children in your care. This may include providing a safe and nurturing environment, helping with daily tasks and responsibilities, and serving as a positive role model and mentor. You may also be responsible for managing the household and coordinating with other staff members to meet the needs of the children.

3. What are the benefits and salary for this type of position?

The benefits and salary for this type of position can vary depending on the organization and location. Generally, you can expect to receive a fair salary, which may be lower than your previous job, but often includes housing and utilities. You may also receive benefits such as health insurance, vacation time, and retirement plans. It's important to research and compare different organizations to find the best fit for you.

4. Have you or anyone you know ever worked as a "house-parent" for troubled kids and teens?

I have not personally worked as a "house-parent," but I have known people who have. They have expressed that it can be a challenging but incredibly rewarding experience. Being able to make a positive impact in the lives of troubled youth and helping them overcome their challenges can be very fulfilling.

5. What would you do if given a chance to start over?

If given the chance to start over, I would likely pursue my passion for food and attend culinary school. However, I also have a strong interest in working with troubled youth, so I would definitely consider taking a job like the one you are considering. Ultimately, it would depend on the specific opportunities available and what felt like the best fit for me and my family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Brandie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies