• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting: Suction Cups Not Holding in Bathtub - Tips and Tricks

In summary, This may sound silly, but it is driving me nuts! I have a little mesh toy bag hanging in the bathtub for DS toys. It is not overloaded, but the suction cups do NOT want to hold for more than a day! I also have a lightweight soap holder that is made of wire that I use to hang our razors through. Same thing. It will not stay up!:mad: :(
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
This may sound silly, but it is driving me nuts!

I have a little mesh toy bag hanging in the bathtub for DS toys. It is not overloaded, but the suction cups do NOT want to hold for more than a day! I also have a lightweight soap holder that is made of wire that I use to hang our razors through. Same thing. It will not stay up!:mad: :(

I have cleaned the fiberglass (think the tub surround is fiberglass...smooth, shiney white plastic??) with cleaner and rinsed it. Cleaned it with alcohol and let it dry before hanging, cleaned with alcohol and let it be wet when hanging, moistened the suction cups with water, on and on. :confused: :confused:

Any ideas? I am so tired of waking up in the middle of the night to something slamming down into the tub! I was just out here in the kitchen doing something and heard one of them fall again!:eek: :eek:

HELP!

I know this is an obvious and not very helpful suggestion- but what about reducing the amount of bathtub toys. Ours are in a suction cup mesh bag as well and they weren't getting dry each time because there were too many. They all got slimy and were nasty to bathe my children with!! I threw out a bunch and soaked the rest in Oxy Clean including the mesh bag. They all got really clean and it doesn't fall down anymore!

We have one of those bags and I just gave up. It sits on the bottom of the tub now. Kinda defeats the purpose, eh?

I know it may be a little more work but I use a basket with a towel inside to soak up the extra water from the toys. Then I store it under the sink cabinet. My kids just dump it in the tub when they get in. (just make sure to change the towel often ewe!) Another plus to this..... when you take your shower... YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE IT WITH TOYS!!!!

gilliandanielle said:
I know this is an obvious and not very helpful suggestion- but what about reducing the amount of bathtub toys. Ours are in a suction cup mesh bag as well and they weren't getting dry each time because there were too many. They all got slimy and were nasty to bathe my children with!! I threw out a bunch and soaked the rest in Oxy Clean including the mesh bag. They all got really clean and it doesn't fall down anymore!
Gillian~

It really doesn't have too many toys in it...even empty it keeps falling down and the other wire thing that we hang our razors in is even lighter and keeps falling down!

Rae~

I have thought about the super glue thing...not sure that would go over well with hubby, or when we decide to move!!:eek: :eek:

I am beginning to think that my parents ruined the finish on the surround. It is only about 7 years old, but they both smoked like crazy...especially in the bathroom! (My dad would sit and take a bath and smoke...ewww!) My mom passed away in June and my Dad is selling us the house. I have cleaned and cleaned the surround, but I can still see some discoloration from the smoke and I am wondering if it has changed the finish slightly, but enough that now the suction cups won't stick properly.

What a PITA. I was hoping someone had some amazing remedy that would work!! If anyone else has any other ideas, PLEASE let me know!!

DebbieJ said:
We have one of those bags and I just gave up. It sits on the bottom of the tub now. Kinda defeats the purpose, eh?
That's gonna be where mine is soon!

When I read it the first time I thought you said it WAS overloaded, LOL! Sorry- just ignore my whole post then! :D

If all you're really needing is a way to hang the bag of toys so they'll dry, can you use the spigot or shower head? That's not going to help with the soap dish, but it would allow the tub toys to get some air.

Kelly,I had the same problem with a soap holder for my parents--I needed it in a particular location due to my mother's limited range-of-motion.I ended up buying a tub of silicone adhesive of some sort...that worked. It's been up for 8 years now.Good luck!

my DS's tub toys are kept in the large colander that comes with the 4-piece Bowl & colander set. I let them dry out in the tub (in the colander) then throw them under the sink. No mess, no slime!
how's that for a selling point to those "non-cookers".

My husband's shaving mirror does the same thing in the shower, and of course, it always drops in the middle of the night, waking everyone up with a start!

The only thing I can think of is using a silicone adhesive, but that is a more permanent solution, so be sure you want to stick it there forever....

Maybe buy some new suction cups. I know you can buy them at Lowe's HomeDepot, Wal-Mart. I just bought some to put on my daughters window to hang a chrystal.

cookinmama said:
Maybe buy some new suction cups. I know you can buy them at Lowe's HomeDepot, Wal-Mart. I just bought some to put on my daughters window to hang a chrystal.

Haha...I was going to say the same thing. We've had to replace some crappy suction cups before...

If you claen the suction cups with windex, then soak in warm water for 5 min, dry completely with a lint free towel, then rub your finger in a circular motion at least 15 times..they should stick then!!! ( No I am not trying to be funny) :)

reba515 said:
my DS's tub toys are kept in the large colander that comes with the 4-piece Bowl & colander set. I let them dry out in the tub (in the colander) then throw them under the sink. No mess, no slime!
how's that for a selling point to those "non-cookers".

So are my DS's!:D And some of his favorite bath toys include the flexible funnels, and a couple colored scrapers from past seasons!:D :D :D

klsnyder said:
If you claen the suction cups with windex, then soak in warm water for 5 min, dry completely with a lint free towel, then rub your finger in a circular motion at least 15 times..they should stick then!!! ( No I am not trying to be funny) :)
I will give that a try! If that doesn't work, I will buy some new suction cups...I am sure the ones that come with those things are VERY cheap! I have noticed that they aren't very "cupped" they are pretty flat, so even when it is suctioned to the wall, there probably isn't very much suction.

Thank you all so much! I will try these remedies first and if all else fails, ...then it's off to glue those suckers on forever!!!

There is silicone caulking that you could use like in the suggestions before, it wouldn't be forever, you could get it off. We use silicone all the time at work, and I have had to go back and take stuff off and it might take some effort, or a razor, but you could get it off, then just clean the excess off with a razor.

Or you could get it off with a stoneware scraper, LOL!

Get a large S hook and hang from shower rodon inside shower curtain. As for the razor holder-S hook high from shower head.

Charlene

what about the 3m adhesive hooks? when you want to remove them I think they come off easily. they are long and skinny but have different sized hooks and strengths

Wow!

This is why I posted here...I knew there were tons of smart ladies that would have great ideas!!!

Thanks again!

I second the 3M hooks. I use them on EVERYTHING. Or the 3M gummy tape (for pictures etc) - just like the hook without the hook. Attach it to the fiberglass and then to the suction cups. The hooks (2) would be better though so you could actually take the bag down when/if you wanted to easily as opposed to it being stuck to the suction cups.

I was going to suggest the 3M too. Also I heard (for those that like the suction cups) that before attaching them, rub a small amount of cooking oil in them (as opposed to water or saliva) they will get a better grip. Hope that helps.

I superglued mine, but it wouldn't even stick w/o toys in it, because of the material of our tub.

Related to Troubleshooting: Suction Cups Not Holding in Bathtub - Tips and Tricks

What is "Way Ot: Help!"?

"Way Ot: Help!" is a new line of kitchen products that are designed to make meal prep and cooking easier and more efficient. These products are exclusively available through Pampered Chef.

What makes "Way Ot: Help!" products different from other kitchen products?

The "Way Ot: Help!" line is unique because each product is designed with specific features that cater to common kitchen tasks. For example, our "Chop and Scoop" tool allows you to chop and scoop ingredients in one motion, saving you time and effort.

Are "Way Ot: Help!" products only for experienced cooks?

No, "Way Ot: Help!" products are designed for cooks of all levels. Our goal is to make cooking accessible and enjoyable for everyone, so even if you're a beginner in the kitchen, you can still benefit from using our products.

Can I purchase "Way Ot: Help!" products in stores?

No, "Way Ot: Help!" products are only available for purchase through Pampered Chef consultants. You can find a consultant near you by visiting our website or attending a Pampered Chef party.

Are there any special offers or discounts for "Way Ot: Help!" products?

Yes, we often have promotions and special offers for "Way Ot: Help!" products. Be sure to check our website or speak to your Pampered Chef consultant for the latest deals and discounts.

Back