• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trouble getting Fajitas to 170 degrees and chicken being tough?

In summary, Amanda's chicken recipe didn't seem to cook completely evenly, and was tough when pulled apart. The best way to chop the chicken up may be to use a knife and hold it in place, or use a salad chopper. The recipe also includes southwestern seasoning which may be a contributing factor.
jesusluvsu2005
Hi everyone! I did this recipe for the first time last night at a show. I have to say, I seemed to have trouble getting the meat to show 170 degrees yet it looked done. I think I ended up having to cook it for 20-23 minutes. Also, when I tried to pull the meat apart, it seemed a bit tough. I wasn't sure if that's from microwaving or if it was the chicken. I did space the pieces of chicken apart and sliced each breast in half length wise. Anyone else have trouble getting it done or the chicken being a bit tough? What's the best way to chop the chicken up? I don't have the salad choppers.
Thanks!
God bless,
Amanda

Sounds like it was overcooked.I usually just slice it with the Chef's or Santoku Knife, using the Hold N Slice to hold it in place.

I made chicken strips tonight for a show in the DCB for the Jerk Chicken Nachos. She bought two packages. I put both of them in and cooked for 12 minutes, stirring them around at about 6 minutes. They were super juicy and tender! I cut them up with the Salad Choppers and finally sold a pair!!

Are y'all checking the temp? I used the PC pocket thermometer and never would register 170. I didn't even check it the last time because I figured surely it was done by then and I think everyone was getting impatient. I do have to say that the taste and smell of the southwestern seasoning is awesome!

No, we didn't. The host checked them and said "the juices are clear" they are done. I went with her flow.

Nope, not checking temp, just going with clear juices and no pink.

If you cook boneless chicken breast until the juices are clear, and no pink left, then you are fine. Take them out of the microwave, and let them sit with the lid on for a few minutes - the temp continues to rise. When I do the 30 Minute Chicken, I take the chicken out if it's at 155 degrees - the internal temp rises to 165-170 while resting.

I take the breasts out after 15 minutes, and keep the lid on the baker while I finish talking about other products. It probably stays on another 10 minutes, then I check it with the pocket thermometer....it needs to be 160 degrees for it to be properly cooked.

jesusluvsu2005 said:
Are y'all checking the temp? I used the PC pocket thermometer and never would register 170. I didn't even check it the last time because I figured surely it was done by then and I think everyone was getting impatient. I do have to say that the taste and smell of the southwestern seasoning is awesome!

I don't check the temp either - AND yes - the seasoning is the BOMB!! We are addicted to it! Use it on some beef as well - delish!

We actually used it on Shrimp with the garlic oil the other day, as an appetizer - grilled it in the grill pan! Yummy!

Thanks guys! I didn't let it rest at all. So maybe that's what happened. But I felt very under pressure to hurry up and get it on the table. It was my quickest show so I am not sure why everyone was in a hurry. I think everyone was gone by 7:30-7:45. And the show was supposed to start at 6. And I am pretty sure we started by 6:15.

I made this for the first time at my power cooking workshop and everyone liked it! They all said it was good and Juicy! I used a whole bag of chix tenders!

And my DH, who is the pickiest of all, said this by far was the best batchy of Fajitas I have made! And he doesn't like microwaved food! He had NO idea! I usually make it on stove top and use the standard "fajiat mix" by lawrys!

Now I have another recipe I can bring into our boring repetoire of weekly meals! :)

my kids LOVE the fajitas~I think it is because they get to assemble their food! I think these are on the menu for tonight!

I made this for the first time last night for a friend and I and we LOVED it! I accidentally coked it for 15 min, instead of 12 and will definitely not make that mistake next time, but even a bit overcooked the chicken was still fabulous! In 15 min I can make fajitas, get the extras ready and even cook some 90-sec spanish rice! I am totally going to make this more often! Next up to try is the chicken tortilla casserole (dinner tonight!).

GourmetGirl said:
I made this for the first time last night for a friend and I and we LOVED it! I accidentally coked it for 15 min, instead of 12 and will definitely not make that mistake next time, but even a bit overcooked the chicken was still fabulous! In 15 min I can make fajitas, get the extras ready and even cook some 90-sec spanish rice! I am totally going to make this more often! Next up to try is the chicken tortilla casserole (dinner tonight!).

That casserole is yummy when I make it in the oven especially!:love:

heat123 said:
That casserole is yummy when I make it in the oven especially!:love:

How do you make it in the over vs. the microwave? I'm at home so I'm open to whichever method...

Bake at 350 for 20-25 min. I think it comes out better for some reason? The micro version was crispy (tortilla chips) which to me seemed "raw" in texture. Where the oven, it softened the chips up and seemed to have a better cooked texture to them? Maybe that's just me though ;).

Made the fajitas at a show today and sold two DCB full price! woohoo!

Can someone give me this recipe....I can't seem to find it anywhere. They sound great and I am doing them for a show next Friday. I was going to just wing it but would like the recipe for a guide. Thanks!

annesfoodaffair said:
Can someone give me this recipe....I can't seem to find it anywhere. They sound great and I am doing them for a show next Friday. I was going to just wing it but would like the recipe for a guide. Thanks!

Click on Files at the top of the page, and then type in Easy Chicken Fajitas....if that doesn't bring it up, just type in fajitas. Sorry, I'd attach it, but can't from this computer.

If the chicken breasts are really thick, I will leave it in for 20 minutes. I usually always sell 2 DCB, each time I make this at a show, and also, bookings for November left and right !!!!

Related to Trouble getting Fajitas to 170 degrees and chicken being tough?

1. Can I make fajitas in the Deep Covered Baker (DCB)?

Yes, you can definitely make fajitas in the DCB! The DCB is a versatile stoneware piece that can be used for a variety of recipes, including fajitas.

2. Do I need to preheat the DCB before making fajitas?

No, there is no need to preheat the DCB before making fajitas. The stoneware material heats up evenly and retains heat, so there is no need for preheating.

3. Can I use frozen vegetables in the DCB for fajitas?

Yes, you can use frozen vegetables in the DCB for fajitas. Just make sure to thaw them before cooking and adjust the cooking time accordingly.

4. How long does it take to cook fajitas in the DCB?

The cooking time for fajitas in the DCB will vary depending on your ingredients and personal preference. Generally, it takes about 25-30 minutes in a preheated oven at 400°F.

5. Can I use the DCB to serve fajitas at the table?

Yes, the DCB is great for serving fajitas at the table. It will keep the fajitas warm and can also be used as a serving dish. Just be sure to use oven mitts or trivets when handling the hot stoneware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• INGonzalez
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • K.Shaffer
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Kristin B