• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Show From Hell: Last Night's Stressor

In summary, the gal who booked the show had no idea what she was getting herself into. She booked the show for the party her sister was having that same day, and when she called to tell me, she neglected to mention that the people who were at the previous show were still drunk and were going to be coming to the PC show as well. The show thus sucked because of the drunkenness and messiness.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Last night I had the stressor of all stressor shows.
It was a las minute booking. A gal who had attended a shwo fo mine back in April called me 2 weeks ago and said she would like to book a show and co-host it with her sister. I had a late-in-the-game cancellation date open so she took it. She confirms the date then calls to tell me her sister is having a PL show that same day so she's going to have PL at 4pm and PC at 7pm. I explain to her how people come to parties with a mental budget and if they do PL first she'll have low PC sales...maybe we should do them a few days/weeks apart. She insists this'll be fine and she insists that several people coming to the PC show will not have been at the PL show etc. OK

Well, what she neglects to tell me is that the people who were at PL and are staying for PC have been drinking all afternoon and are at the point of sloppy. She gives me an area to set up (when I arrived PL was still there, all set up and taking orders) so I start settign up. Within 10 minutes one of the kids si diggin his hands into my bowl of chocolates and then his mother, in trying to stop him, dumps her glass of red wine all over my display. Oh, but it gets better, next, someone spills a sippycup full of MILK into my briefcase (where, of course, my laptop is sitting) and instead of apologizing as I scramble to dry out my freakin' laptop she is rolling her eyes at me and says "With all due respect, computers don't belong in the kitchen." I wanted to SCREAM!!!!!! Where else would she have suggested I go, huh?? PL was spread out everywhere and the hostess shoved me into the kictchen!!! I was LIVID and that just set the tone for the rest of my show...

Thankfully the sales were just over $500, but I got no bookings, my show sucked because I was so fritzed, UGH.

I just keep telling myself, I could have been home all night making NO money so at least I made a few bucks.
So far my laptop is ok. I had a new recruit there with me (lovely for her to see the show from hell) and between the 2 of us and our 2 MF towels we were able to dry it up rather quickly.

Last edited:
I am so sorry you had to deal with this Carolyn...would the laptop be covered under pc insurance? I'm not sure because it's our personal items and not the host...but if it's not working to full capacity it is worth a shot.

Carolyn...what in the world is happening to you lately??? Have you had such smooth sailing for way too long that now you are getting all of the crap shows in one string? LOL I can't believe some of the wackiness that you have dealt with recently!!

Thank God they aren't all nutzo shows like that!

Glad your sales were very good too...especially taking into account that PL was there before you!

UUGGHH!!!! :yuck:

Sorry you had to deal with that. A friend of mine had a Tupperware party right after me once on the same day. My show sucked and it wasn't even enough to call it a show. I was so mad! The Tupperware lady made a good amount of money and people were there for that that weren't able to come to my show but of course they bought Tupperware then didn't want anything from PC. She even got a booking. That was the friend of mine that turned into a Kit Napper! :mad:

nikkijo said:
I am so sorry you had to deal with this Carolyn...would the laptop be covered under pc insurance? I'm not sure because it's our personal items and not the host...but if it's not working to full capacity it is worth a shot.
I doubt it - I think the insurance only covers damage to the hosts' shouse.
As of late last night it was working fine. I think we got to it fast enough and the MF towels suck up the liquid really fast (Thank God and PC for the MF towels)...one more story to help sell the MF towels, I guess, huh? LOL

KellyTheChef said:
Carolyn...what in the world is happening to you lately??? Have you had such smooth sailing for way too long that now you are getting all of the crap shows in one string? LOL I can't believe some of the wackiness that you have dealt with recently!!

Thank God they aren't all nutzo shows like that!

Glad your sales were very good too...especially taking into account that PL was there before you!

I don't know what it is lately. I am getting ZERO bookings lately, too. I mean seriously my last 3-4 shows have been ZERO bookings. I don't know what to make of it. Is it the time of year? Is it me? Have I lost my mojo? I wish I could get another seasoned consultant to come observe one of my shows and give me some constructive criticism...

dannyzmom said:
I doubt it - I think the insurance only covers damage to the hosts' shouse.
As of late last night it was working fine. I think we got to it fast enough and the MF towels suck up the liquid really fast (Thank God and PC for the MF towels)...one more story to help sell the MF towels, I guess, huh? LOL
Glad to hear it is working!!!

chefkristin said:
UUGGHH!!!! :yuck:

Sorry you had to deal with that. A friend of mine had a Tupperware party right after me once on the same day. My show sucked and it wasn't even enough to call it a show. I was so mad! The Tupperware lady made a good amount of money and people were there for that that weren't able to come to my show but of course they bought Tupperware then didn't want anything from PC. She even got a booking. That was the friend of mine that turned into a Kit Napper! :mad:

UGH Kristin. I feel your pain.

Oh Carolyn, I feel for you! That really sucks. It sounds a lot like my show the other night!!!:eek:

PampMomof3 said:
Oh Carolyn, I feel for you! That really sucks. It sounds a lot like my show the other night!!!:eek:

Oh do tell!! Misery loves company - LOL

OMG!! Carolyn....You poor thing, I dont know how you stayed there!:eek:
Like everyone said at least you made some money, but I pray it wont have to go to a new lap top....Bless our MF Towels!!!!:D

dannyzmom said:
...So far my laptop is ok. I had a new recruit there with me (lovely for her to see the show from hell) and between the 2 of us and our 2 MF towels we were able to dry it up rather quickly.

Sorry to hear about that show...I hate it when I get frazzled at one!

On a side (and at least funny to me) note, when I first read above, I thought you were REALLY angry, and the MF stood for something other than "micro fiber"...made me smile (don't do much of THAT lately) when I realized my mistake!

Here's to your next one being MUCH better, with TONS of bookings!

That is awful! Some people are soooo rude. Maybe it's a good thing though that you didn't get a booking. They might have thought that's how you like your shows & you'd end up with another!

nikked said:
On a side (and at least funny to me) note, when I first read above, I thought you were REALLY angry, and the MF stood for something other than "micro fiber"...made me smile (don't do much of THAT lately) when I realized my mistake!

;) Glad I could give you a giggle...and it took ALL my self control to use clean language in that post - LOL

Carolyn,

I am 100% confident it is not you. It is just the crowd you are currently in. At only 2915 points left to DC, you are having an awesome year! I bet the rest of your year will also be awesome.

Lisa

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lisa. I just feel like my 2nd half of the year has been really lousy compared to my first half. I dunno...I am PMS'ing right now so am probably just being too emotional.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, when I walked into the hosts' house last night it was all PL candle smelling? I immediately went into allergic-mess...runny nose, watery itchy etes, sneezing...oy...

I feel your pain, again is it that time of year? No bookings, people are attending shows and not buying anything. That's how I feel. Lost the mojo.Yet people are ;buying tons of purses and jewerly.
I know take a deep breath, and proceed. On to the next one.

nikked said:
I thought the same thing for a second!

Wow, Carolyn, I'm so sorry to hear about such a frazzling show. I hate those. It sounds like you handled it well and at least it was a decent show. Well, maybe you're getting these crappy shows out of the way, you'll still earn level 3 and then next year will be awesome with no crappy shows! I think you've reached your quota!!!

Definitely tell that story about the MF towels! You'll sell those like crazy and get a good laugh at the same time.:) And maybe people will feel sorry for you that you went through all that and book their own show!:eek:

dannyzmom said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Lisa. I just feel like my 2nd half of the year has been really lousy compared to my first half. I dunno...I am PMS'ing right now so am probably just being too emotional.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, when I walked into the hosts' house last night it was all PL candle smelling? I immediately went into allergic-mess...runny nose, watery itchy etes, sneezing...oy...

Oh no! Carolyn's favorite stuff! Snot & germs.... ;)

It's better you didn't get any bookings. They didn't respect you. The nice thing about our business is that we can choose who we work with. I honestly think I would have left. Drunkenness would have done it for me and my laptop, ugh. You held yourself high.

Here's my take from your PC Buddy...go back to doing just the Chicken Herb Ring or whatever it is you do...I think that's where your mojo went! :eek:

Seriously, I think you handled it very well...grin and bear it...then onward and upward, I guess. Just know you're AWESOME and got some stinky shows...it happens.

Now get off your hiney and go back to what was working!!!! Love you!:)

Kristen

I be very happy NOT to get any bookings from that crowd if I were you! Yuck.....run fast and far away from those people!

I did a show once where the cat attacked me (literally flew through the air and landed on my neck and attacked me) as I was settin up, two kids kicked me while I was cooking onions in the kitchen(same show), all the adults ignored me because kids were running in and out of the room and the husband decided to set up an impromptu rock band (heavy metal rock) in the next room with all the guys (husbands of the wives that were ignoring me) while I was trying to do my demo (which, now that I think of it, may also be why the wives were ignoring me). So I feel your pain. After 7 years when the drinking gets going and they are sloppy I just cook the food and leave. Don't even ask for bookings. Hang in there, I've done over 500 shows and they are not all like this. BTW, do you have extended warranty on your laptop? I did--well worth it's weight in gold when you are taking it to people's homes. Just think--these are stories you can tell your grandkids some day.

LOL--I meant 7 years of doing PC, not 7 years of drinking.

At least your recruit go to see that EVERYONE has really crappy shows now and then. She also saw how to just pull up your big girl panties and get on with... well, the show!

Hey Carolyn, don't you live in FL? I'll come down to observe one of your shows, right about the time February hits, okay?
I think you're great on CS. I doubt you've lost your mojo or whatever.

Nanisu said:
LOL--I meant 7 years of doing PC, not 7 years of drinking.

any more show's like last night and I may got the the 7 years of drinking - LOL

JAE said:
Hey Carolyn, don't you live in FL? I'll come down to observe one of your shows, right about the time February hits, okay?
I think you're great on Chef Success. I doubt you've lost your mojo or whatever.

Come on down JAE - I'll make up the guest bed for ya. I'll even leave a mint on the pillow!

Chefstover2 said:
Here's my take from your PC Buddy...go back to doing just the Chicken Herb Ring or whatever it is you do...I think that's where your mojo went! :eek:

Seriously, I think you handled it very well...grin and bear it...then onward and upward, I guess. Just know you're AWESOME and got some stinky shows...it happens.

Now get off your hiney and go back to what was working!!!! Love you!:)

Kristen

I WAS making the LHCR!!!!!
Wahhhhhhh!!!!!! :cry:

dannyzmom said:
I WAS making the LHCR!!!!!
Wahhhhhhh!!!!!! :cry:

Sounds like your mojo is in some desperate need of a Chocolate Bliss show!

Wow, I have to say the best thing about this site is hearing the bad stories (along w/the good) so we can be prepared for things like this! We're all living it with you Carolyn! This site gives me way more years experience then the 3 I have!

I'm sorry this happend to you though!

Sorry about your show!! I didn't think MF stood for micro-fiber either!! I got a kick out of that!!

UPDATE...just closed the show. She collected over $300 more in OO's bringing the closing total to 860.00 ~ woo hoo!! And the host is a hairdresser - I commented on how she did such a great job gathering orders, would she ever consider doing what I do? No. Ok - but she WOULD like to keep a catlog or 2 at her station at the salon and collect orders on a regular basis, turn them in to me every month or so as a catalog show, and reap the hostess benefits. I can live with that!!

awesome out come to such a horrible show! Oh and now atleast she will be doing "Catalog shows" and you wont have to go back!! Oh and what is LHCR?

dannyzmom said:

Oh you poor thing! I totally feel your pain! In the last year or two I have developed an allergy to candles, perfume etc. I get your symptoms plus I have to have an inhaler handy because some scents cause respiratory problems. Plus I get severe headaches! I'm almost to the point that I want to avoid leaving my house!!

feather18 said:
awesome out come to such a horrible show! Oh and now atleast she will be doing "Catalog shows" and you wont have to go back!!

Oh and what is LHCR?

LHCR = Lemon Herb Chicken Ring

Question 1: What is the Show From Hell?

The Show From Hell is a term used to describe a particularly difficult and stressful Pampered Chef party experience.

Question 2: How did this particular show come about?

This show was a last minute booking, with the hostess confirming the date just two weeks prior. She also failed to mention that she was hosting a competing party earlier in the day, which led to a less-than-ideal sales situation.

Question 3: What were some of the challenges you faced during the party?

Some of the challenges faced at this particular party included guests who had been drinking all afternoon, children getting into the product displays, and a spilled glass of red wine on the products. Additionally, the hostess was not accommodating and made it difficult for the consultant to set up in a suitable area.

Question 4: How did the party ultimately go?

The overall experience was not ideal, with low sales, no bookings, and a stressful atmosphere. However, the consultant was able to make some sales and is grateful for any income earned.

Question 5: Was any damage done to your personal belongings?

Fortunately, the consultant's laptop was not damaged despite being spilled on with milk. However, the experience was still frustrating and added to the overall stress of the party.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• yummy4tummy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
jenniferlynne
  • Christ Follower
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefdiana2007
  • MrsNetNut404