• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Surviving a Power Outage: My Struggle to Accommodate Guests and Keep My Sanity

for 2 weeks. I turned all of the lights out in the kitchen and stepped in a puddle of water and when I turned the light back on, I saw the ceiling dripping. So not good! We have to wait for all of the ice and snow to melt before we can evaluate the extent of the damages. Its so cold out now that everything is frozen again and nothing is leaking, but I don't want to see the mess thats going to be created by all of this melting!
pampchefrhondab
Oh my gosh, this is night 3 of my parents having to stay with us. I love having them here and spending time with the family, but I don't have an extra bedroom and I am sleeping on one couch and my husband on the other!

There are so many people w/o power! They were getting people back on today, but then we had high winds and very cold (30 below) wind chills - the electric co. can't keep up!!!

My BIL called today and said it may be Jan. 5th before they have power! I don't think I can take having my parents here that long!!

Now they are calling for more bad weather Tuesday and Wednesday - maybe even another 1/2 inch of ice. We already had 3/4 of an inch of ice! This is just crazy!

Please pray for everyone in NE Indiana. I'm sure some are crazy enough to stay in their homes w/o electricity and will probably die. It is really bad.

Thanks,

I certainly will keep you in my prayers! Sure puts the temps in the 30s in perspective here! I would never survive up there in that kind of cold! I freeze at 40!

I am in Indiana as well. We got out power back on yesterday afternoon. It was off about 28 hours. That was bad enough. I can't imagine going any longer than that! It is now -2 degrees! Florida is looking really good to me!!!

Today we have had an average of -34 windchills... blah! The worst our house had was loss of internet for atleast 12 hours that we know of. Not sure when it went out, but it wasn't on when we got up this morning.

We knew our roof was bad this year, but we were hoping that it would last until spring atleast, but last night after I turned all of the lights out in the kitchen, I stepped in a puddle of water, when I turned the light back on, I saw the ceiling dripping... not good at all! We have to wait for all of the ice and snow to melt before we can evaluate the extent of the damages. Its so cold out now that everything is frozen again and nothing is leaking, but I don't want to see the mess thats going to be created by all of this melting! I think we have about a foot of snow on top of a few inches of ice.

If you can get to the store and can afford it get one of those aero beds. They are easy to set up and fairly comfortable. When we have guests they sleep good on them.

We did this when my dad and stepmom came to visit. They were here for 2 weeks. We gave them out bed, but after about 2 days the blow up was not so comfortable anymore (we did keep adding air) but it just wan't our bed. And when you have me who is 5 feet and husband who is 6'2", there is quite a bit more weight on one side!!! Not fun at all.

kristenlee said:
If you can get to the store and can afford it get one of those aero beds. They are easy to set up and fairly comfortable. When we have guests they sleep good on them.

NorthWest Indiana is a mess as well- Our power was out most of yesterday, but it was a good excuse to have DH take me out- We saw 2 movies, and then dinner, after a morning in the cold house- When we got home, power was on, and house was warm again. We found out the hard way that the chimney flue was iced over- House filled with smoke, and DH is hauling the logs (on fire, I might add) from the dining room to the front yard, in the ash bucket) I wish I had the video camera on- it was quite a sight.

Cleveland area here and we have the same type of weather, although SO FAR, we have not lost power, although we have had a high wind warning since yesterday morning and now we have a wind chill warning...

What happened to Global Warming???

I feel really bad for you people mid-West without power -- NH is apparently still out from like a week ago -- that is really bad! And more bad weather -- UGH, the winter is going to be a hard one. Warm thoughts to all.

kristenlee said:

My dad and stepmom have been at our house since Friday night. Long story short, we've gone through 2 air beds and both have leaks. My DH even patched the first one. I think we need to invest in a sofa bed. Ü

I'm thinking of looking to get an Areo bed today on my way home - if their power doesn't come on today!

A sleep sofa is what I'm getting the next time I need a new one!

we are wishing we got a sofa bed last time we got furniture. We have guests coming so we will be using the aero bed. The aero bed seems to be better than a regular air matress. We have had ours for over a year, and it is still good. My SIL stayed with us for a month and slept on it just fine that entire time. And a few other guests have stayed on it too. But it is definately not as good as your own bed.

Times like these make us realize how much we love what we have and how we live. We are having cold temperatures, but not as bad as they could be. We are to get rain/ice/sleet again tomorrow though.

UPDATE:

The power came back on at my parents house today!!!! We are so happy!!! We now have our home back just in time for Christmas!

My Mom is great to live with - my Dad is another story:)! Very controlling!

We did get an Aero bed for last night and slept much better. Now we don't need it. I'm actually thinking about taking it back. I got it at Target, but after opening it found out it had already been used! I don't think I should have to pay full price for a used bed!! It was way too late after we set it up to take it back last night! I was not happy though! Luckily we had our own sheets that would fit it!

We are now having more bad weather - ice, snow, sleet, hopefully the weather will get better for tomorrow and nobody will lose their electricity!

Take Care and Merry Christmas everyone!

I think you should get a discount on the used bed or trade for a new one. You never know when you will need it again. Very icy roads in central Ohio, but nothing like you are having right now. keep warm

Definitely take it back and insist on a new one or a big discount.

Yeah, I will probably trade for a new one, but they only had the one left on the shelf. If they give me a big discount I may keep it. It was $199 so not cheap!

wow, didn't realize they cost that much. we don't have guest very often, but on the occasion that we do, my BFs daughter has a full size bed and we have a futon that is pretty comfy, we don't mind making his dd sleep on the futon or on the floor in her brothers room. she can sleep anywhere, shes only 3.

Related to Surviving a Power Outage: My Struggle to Accommodate Guests and Keep My Sanity

1. How can I prepare for a power outage when hosting guests?

One way to prepare for a power outage when hosting guests is to have a backup plan in place. This could mean having extra candles or flashlights on hand, stocking up on non-perishable food and water, or even investing in a portable generator. It's also a good idea to communicate with your guests beforehand and let them know about the possibility of a power outage.

2. What are some easy, no-cook meal options for a power outage?

Some easy, no-cook meal options for a power outage include sandwiches, salads, and canned soups. You can also make use of any gas or charcoal grills you have to cook up some simple meals. Don't forget to have plenty of snacks and non-perishable food items on hand as well.

3. How can I keep my guests entertained during a power outage?

There are plenty of ways to keep your guests entertained during a power outage. You can play board games, have a sing-along, or tell stories by candlelight. If you have a deck of cards, you can also play different card games. If the weather permits, you can even take a walk or play outdoor games like frisbee or cornhole.

4. What should I do if a power outage occurs during a dinner party?

If a power outage occurs during a dinner party, try to remain calm and reassure your guests that everything will be taken care of. If you have a gas stove, you can continue cooking your meal. Otherwise, you can heat up pre-made dishes or order takeout. Don't forget to have some entertainment options ready in case the outage lasts longer than expected.

5. How can I ensure the safety of my guests during a power outage?

The safety of your guests should always be a top priority during a power outage. Make sure to have a first aid kit on hand and check for any potential hazards such as candles or open flames. If necessary, you can also evacuate your guests to a nearby location that has power. It's important to stay calm and address any safety concerns as soon as possible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MissChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen2u
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • crystalscookingnow