• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for a Substitute for Chipotle Rub? Here's Some Helpful Advice!

In summary, some good substitutes for Chipotle Rub include smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Regular paprika can be used as a substitute, but it won't have the same distinct smoky flavor. For a milder alternative, you can mix smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. You can also make your own Chipotle Rub at home using various spices. This rub is commonly used in Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes, but can also be used in other dishes for a smoky and spicy flavor.
Jan Lewis
Does anyone know of a homemade substitute for the Chipotle Rub? For example, in the Greek Cheese Torta recipe, they give spices and amounts to use instead of the Greek Rub. Is there a similar recipe for the Chipotle Rub? Thanks!

Chipotle is really ripened (turned red) jalapeno that has been roasted or smoked. If you can't find a jar or can of roasted jalapenos, you could make your own. Take jalapenos, allow to ripen. Then, roast in oven or over a gas grill.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

I've actually substituted the Southwest seasoning for the chipotle - it's not the same taste, but it's a close 2nd.

c00p said:
I've actually substituted the Southwest seasoning for the chipotle - it's not the same taste, but it's a close 2nd.

This is what I do too. It's not quite as smoky tasting, but still good.

For the chicken tortilla soup that I made last night, I substituted about 1/2 cup salsa and 1/4 taco seasoning, because I don't have that rub. But that was also because I didn't have tomatos with chilis, just plain. Anyway, I just mention it in case this is the recipe you are thinking about doing :). I kind of meant to add some southwestern seasoning too, but forgot, and also wanted to keep it mild for my kids. DH and I added a bunch more salsa to our soup. YUM!

Last edited:
There's a recipe that says you can substitute taco seasoning (I forget where I saw it).

Glad I saw this......thought I had the Chipotle Rub for Wednesday's night's show, I think the Southwest seasoning mix will have to do. Thanks for sharing the advice.

What is a good substitute for Chipotle Rub?

Some good substitutes for Chipotle Rub include smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. You can also mix these spices together to create a similar flavor profile.

Can I use regular paprika instead of Chipotle Rub?

While regular paprika can add some smokiness to your dish, it will not have the same distinct smoky flavor as Chipotle Rub. However, you can mix it with other spices like cumin and chili powder to mimic the flavor.

Are there any alternatives for Chipotle Rub that are less spicy?

If you prefer a milder option, you can substitute the Chipotle Rub with a combination of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. This will give your dish a smoky flavor without the heat.

Can I make my own Chipotle Rub at home?

Yes, you can make your own Chipotle Rub at home using a combination of ground chipotle peppers, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and salt. There are many recipes available online to help you create your own homemade version.

What dishes can I use as a substitute for Chipotle Rub?

Chipotle Rub is commonly used in Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes, such as tacos, enchiladas, and fajitas. However, you can also use it in other dishes that call for a smoky and spicy flavor, such as roasted meats, soups, and stews.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mmilus
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies