• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stoneware Cleaning/Seasoning... What Do You Think About This?

In summary, the conversation was about cleaning a black Pampered Chef stone. The poster had heard conflicting information about whether black was good on a stone and how to clean it. They called their Pampered Chef neighbor who said that black is not good on a stone, but the stone can still be used. To clean it, the neighbor recommended a paste made of baking soda, salt, and water, which should be used when the stone starts to feel sticky. The poster also mentioned a self-cleaning oven cycle as a potential cleaning method, but other posters cautioned against it as it can void the warranty and create microfractures that make the stone unsafe to use. Some posters also mentioned that black on a stone is desirable and joked about their
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
I found this post on a msg board. It was a reply to someone asking how to clean the "black stuff" off of a PC stone.

Any imput? I had not heard the black was NOT good! I have a black stone and love it!

here goes....

"Okay...I called my Pampered Chef neighbor. She said that black is NOT good. The stone is still safe to use, but the blacker they get they loose the great stone properties that made you purchase it to begin with. A black stone is more like cooking on a piece of enamel.
She says that stones and all kitchen products get that sticky yellow build up and it is called lythecin (spelling??). It's from man made food ingrediants. To clean your stone deeply do it when you feel it getting sticky...then mix baking soda, SALT and water to a tooth paste consistancy. Let it sit on the stone and then scrub and rinse with hot water. The trick is to get them when they first get sticky.
I do it and it works great. I had to call her because I could not remember the name of the sticky stuff."

Never heard that...I know that STICKY is not good, and that paste should work to get the sticky off. If they don't scrub and use HOT enough water, it will build up black sticky stuff. (My cousin's did this and we figured out it was cuz she wasn't using hot enough water to "melt" off and clean off any grease/oil.)

My director's old (14 years?) large round stone is soooooo black and shiny! It works like a charm!

self cleanI "heard" that if you put a black stone in your oven and run the self clean cycle it will come clean. I only know of one costomer trying it and it did work. She thought she's throw out the stone anyway so she had nothing to loose with trying it. so its an idea! But i haven't tried it myself!

This will be up for debate but from what I have been taught the slef cleaning cycle is not a good idea.

ETA: I am not looking for soulutions... This was an older post I just found some of the info this person was told by a consultant to be "interesting" and was wondering if others had been told this.

I always tell my customers "the worse it looks the better it cooks!"

And yes Kelly I have had the sticky issue as well. I was sooo happy when I learned about the baking soda paste trick!

Last edited:
I know several people that have black stones, that's the purpose of the stoneware!

I have a black stone! My rectangle stone is almost completely black! I used to joke at my shows that if anything happened to it, I would need therapy..........

erinyourpclady said:
I have a black stone! My rectangle stone is almost completely black! I used to joke at my shows that if anything happened to it, I would need therapy..........
I can't wait until I can show off my Black stones lol!

First off, black on a stone is good. Doris' first stone is completely black and they have it on display. Sticky is not good, that is when you use the paste. However, I would try it without the salt first. That being said, DO NOT put your stone through a self-cleaning oven cycle or a dishwasher with or without soap. What you are doing is 1. voiding the warranty and 2. getting microfractures which makes the stone UNSAFE to use. The microfractures are caused by the fast and extreme temperature changes. You may not see them, but they are there. Imagine having a rectangular stone full of hot veggies and chicken with bubbling juices in it. As you pull it out of the oven, the microfractures break and you drop the hot food all over yourself and possibly your toddler or pet. That is dangerous!!! On another note, you should not have anything in your oven during the self-clean cycle - it says so right in the manual.

cmdtrgd said:
First off, black on a stone is good. Doris' first stone is completely black and they have it on display. Sticky is not good, that is when you use the paste. However, I would try it without the salt first.

That being said, DO NOT put your stone through a self-cleaning oven cycle or a dishwasher with or without soap. What you are doing is 1. voiding the warranty and 2. getting microfractures which makes the stone UNSAFE to use. The microfractures are caused by the fast and extreme temperature changes. You may not see them, but they are there. Imagine having a rectangular stone full of hot veggies and chicken with bubbling juices in it. As you pull it out of the oven, the microfractures break and you drop the hot food all over yourself and possibly your toddler or pet. That is dangerous!!!

On another note, you should not have anything in your oven during the self-clean cycle - it says so right in the manual.
And that includes the oven shelves!

The sticky stuff is often from using commercial spray oil. It's the chemicals in there that cause the sticky buildup on stones and cookware. I never use those products - I use the spritzer or just put a little oil and rub it over the surface - and I have never had a stickiness to my stones.

My one stone is just starting to go black and I couldn't be happier :)

I have 2 large round stones that I have used for 12 plus years, several times a week. They are just as black as could be, but not sticky. I love them! My mom had this stick issue with her stone when I was at her home, mainly because she always left it in her oven, always! I had to use an old trick of oil and salt on a hot stone rubbed with an old cloth to get that finish back to normal, and that was after several repeated attempts. I have used the baking soda as well. Just be sure to rinse it all off after so the flavor of baking soda doesn't overpower the brownies!

Well, ick, I don't have black stone.

Errr, I sold this gal stone in Sept, told her she'd love it. I went to have a cooking show at her house late Feb, and the stone was absolutely filthy.

She left it in her oven with crud from the previous snack, and never really cleaned it since I sold it to her. Ick. Double ick. She got a free kitchen brush from her show.

She has real long fingernails, I'm not kidding, that is the best thing she got free to enjoy her stone: kitchen brush.

It just kills me when people let their stones get so dirty. Pampered chef never said to not clean your stone with hot water. LOL. My sil's stones all look like crap with food stuck on them. I'm like, "do you ever clean these" and she's like, "we use it everymorning for biscuits". it's nasty. She puts biscuits on them every morning and doesn't wash inbetween. Yuck!

kspry said:
Well, ick, I don't have black stone.

Errr, I sold this gal stone in Sept, told her she'd love it. I went to have a cooking show at her house late Feb, and the stone was absolutely filthy.

She left it in her oven with crud from the previous snack, and never really cleaned it since I sold it to her. Ick. Double ick. She got a free kitchen brush from her show.

She has real long fingernails, I'm not kidding, that is the best thing she got free to enjoy her stone: kitchen brush.

My friend does that too. She never cleans hers. Appereantly when told "Do not use soap or dishwasher to clean your stone" she only heard the BOLD words. LOL My mother does that too. Only hears the begining and end of what you say. It drives me nuts!! The stones looked terrible. And she always wondered why it smelled when she cooked.

I went to my neighbors yesterday and both her & her mother were cleaning her rectangle baker with soap. Said they ALWAYS do that. And get this.... my neightbor USED to be a CONSULTANT!! I just laughed at her, said you should know better. LOL

-meryl

I had a black large bar pan (Cooked steaks on it w/butter, bacon a few times.. mmm!) of course had to wash with baking soda paste after the bacon, but omg loved that thing. I had it sitting on the top of my stove one day and my SIL meant to turn on the front burner, instead turned the back one on, and it broke (very loudly I might add!) in 3 pieces. I mourned for quite some time!! This was while I was inactive, so when I re-signed I was SO thrilled to get a new large bar pan! I'm trying to make it black asap! LOL

Does anyone have a stoneware 101 sheet? I attached it if you want it. Great to have at shows for people who wonder why you would clean something w/out soap :)

Attachments

• Stoneware 101.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 892
Great 101 information Jen - thanks!! I think I will print these up and give them to all customers who purchase their first piece of stoneware!

You're very welcome! I think it's a must have. Got it from Kathy Yellets (my recruiter for the 2nd time now!) but not sure if it's hers or not, she passed it onto me to distribute how I like.

H & GI had purchased some H & G stones before I got into pampered chef and their stones do get sticky, I quit using them. I was a bit hesitant to buy stones after that. Thats all I use now is OURS :love: How do I sell the sheet pans when they are for sale again?:eek:

mombird4 said:
I had purchased some H & G stones before I got into pampered chef and their stones do get sticky, I quit using them. I was a bit hesitant to buy stones after that. Thats all I use now is OURS :love: How do I sell the sheet pans when they are for sale again?:eek:

Deanna - I understand your hesitation! When I am not sure about something, I look up the information on CC under products - then I inform them when asked questions - if I don't love love love it - well then I don't talk about it - but I do keep myself informed so I know about the stuff! hth!

stonewareA customer at my show on Thursday said she has had her PC pizza stone for a long time, but she can't remember how long. she said that when she is not using it, a sticky substance seeps out the bottom. Do any of you know why this might be happening? Any suggestions would be welcome.:(

Melissa

Is she sure it is PC? I have heard of other companies' stones holding oil in pockets in the stone - gross!

cleaning stonewareAt my Show on Thursday, I had a lady tell me she PUTS HER STONEWARE IN THE DISHWASHER ALL THE TIME --- WITH HER DIRTY DISHES --- WITH DISHWASHER DETERGENT!!! She has had the PC Stone for 10 years!!! OMG!

I didn't know what to say to her --- I DID tell her that it is not recommended but she already knew that.

Did you tell her that it voids the warranty?

Jen...the same thing happened to my rectangle stone. It was sitting on top of the stove and my husband turned on the wrong burner. It was so pretty and black from lots of use. He turned the burner on and then left the room. I heard him yell "what is smoking" and when we went into the kitchen there was my beautiful stone broken down the middle and on fire from all of the "seasoning". He panicked...never seen a kitchen fire before I guess...and didn't know how to put the fire out. I put it out with flour...not the best thing, baking soda would have been better, but flour was on the counter. He had to buy me a new stone, but I will have to wait 3 more years before it has that beautiful full black color like the other one did.

At least he learned how to put out a kitchen fire...LOL

stonewareNo, but I think I will tell her about voiding her warranty for FUTURE Stoneware. I can't believe it hasn't taken on a 'soap' taste?!

She has had the Stone for 10 years - and says it has NEVER tasted like soap.

I also had a lady tell me (after the Show) that she DOES NOT recommend cooking FISH for one of the first uses - because the stone will continue to smell like fish! Anyone else ever heard of that?

mkarago129 said:
A customer at my show on Thursday said she has had her PC pizza stone for a long time, but she can't remember how long. she said that when she is not using it, a sticky substance seeps out the bottom. Do any of you know why this might be happening? Any suggestions would be welcome.:(

Melissa

I had a customer that had this as well. Her stone had hairline cracks. I had it replaced for her but she refuses to do bacon on it now. I told her it wasn't the bacon but the stone. She still can't do it... LOL

Guess I'm biased
PamperedDor said:
Deanna - I understand your hesitation! When I am not sure about something, I look up the information on CC under products - then I inform them when asked questions - if I don't love love love it - well then I don't talk about it - but I do keep myself informed so I know about the stuff! hth!

I know me too, but I love my stones and haven't tried the pans yet. I will sooner or later though, I thought about having my mom and my good friend try the pans and give me their imput:blushing: what does "hth" mean?:eek: I'm still learning.

Not to be nit-picky, but does anyone have the software to edit the Stoneware 101 document? There are 2 errors in it that I noticed. The 4th answer should say "for the first three to five uses." The 8th answer should say "giving off a noxious odor". My program doesn't allow editing.BevDoes anyone know when Pampered Chef started saying NOT to use the self-cleaning cycle of the oven? My director has been around 10-12 years & she said that they used to say it was ok.

here ya go. It's in word.

Attachments

• Stoneware 101.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 544
I have been selling for almost 14 years we have never endorsed or encouraged it. Some consultants promote it at their shows but it is not from the HO during a self cleaning cycle ovens automatically lock
when your stone gets to the temp for cleaning the grease can catch on fire which can start a kitchen fire

Okay then....here is my problem..... how do you GET a stone to turn black?

My first stone I purchased in 1994 -- many years before I became a PC consultant. It's brown as the dickens, but I've started noticing that it is starting to "peel" and some of the light brown is showing through. What's up with that? Also - it will NOT turn black, no matter how many times I use it. What am I doing wrong?

ChefLauraW said:
Okay then....here is my problem..... how do you GET a stone to turn black?

My first stone I purchased in 1994 -- many years before I became a PC consultant. It's brown as the dickens, but I've started noticing that it is starting to "peel" and some of the light brown is showing through. What's up with that? Also - it will NOT turn black, no matter how many times I use it. What am I doing wrong?

The only reason mine is black is because I forgot and left it in the oven one time when I was preheating the oven.....

I was told - about the stones - is that the "worst it looks, the better it cooks" - I have been told this for the past 10 -12 years since I having been buying stones

PamperedJen76 said:
You're very welcome! I think it's a must have. Got it from Kathy Yellets (my recruiter for the 2nd time now!) but not sure if it's hers or not, she passed it onto me to distribute how I like.

Kathy is my Second Line Director :thumbup:

:chef:

1. How do I clean the "black stuff" off of my Pampered Chef stone?

To deep clean your stone, mix baking soda, salt, and water to a toothpaste consistency and let it sit on the stone. Then scrub and rinse with hot water. This will help remove the sticky yellow buildup, known as lythecin, which is caused by man-made food ingredients.

2. Is it safe to use a black Pampered Chef stone?

While a black stone is still safe to use, it may not have the same properties as a new stone. As the stone gets blacker, it can lose some of its great stone properties and become more like cooking on an enamel surface.

3. How often should I clean my Pampered Chef stone?

It is recommended to clean your stone regularly, especially when it starts to feel sticky. This will prevent the buildup of lythecin and keep your stone in good condition.

4. What is lythecin and how does it affect my Pampered Chef stone?

Lythecin is the sticky yellow buildup that can occur on kitchen products, including Pampered Chef stones. It is caused by man-made food ingredients and can affect the performance of your stone if not cleaned regularly.

5. Can I use soap to clean my Pampered Chef stone?

It is not recommended to use soap on your stone as it can leave a residue that affects the taste of your food. Stick to using baking soda, salt, and water for deep cleaning and hot water for regular cleaning.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Get_Pampered
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
pampermejolene
  • debswork
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Chozengirl
Replies