• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Someone Teach Me How to Can, Please

In summary, the garden is producing more and more fruit, and one tomato plant is starting to give more than they can eat before they go bad. The three words for this conversation are "Ball Blue Book."
NooraK
Gold Member
While we do have our share of challenges with our garden, we're starting to harvest more and more each day. Our one tomato plant that is producing ripe fruit is starting to give more than we can eat before they go bad, and we have several other tomato plants that are full of green fruit that will start turning red any day now.

I have no clue about canning (except I need jars, and a big stock pot, and probably some other things). I'd love for some direction from those of you who have done it before.

Three Words.

Ball Blue Book.

Seriously - it's the Bible for canning and preserving. :)

I'll help you any way I can - but I'm not sure how to do it long distance. Do you have questions?

My biggest tip is to make sure you get wide mouth jars. MUCH easier to fill and work with.

Also - if you are planning on water bath canning, you can only do that with fruits and veggies which are acidic - whether naturally so, or because you've added vinegar to them. Everything else needs to be pressure canned. Most vegetables that I do, unless I'm pickling them, are frozen instead of canned.

Some ideas for starter kits:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_11?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=canning+kit&sprefix=canning+kit

A grabber for jars, and a grabber for lids, plus a funnel (wide mouth - not like the ones from PC) are pretty important, I think, as well as your canner and a rack. The canner and rack you may be able to pick up second hand at a Goodwill or someplace like that.

Canning is a lot of fun and work, but SO worth it throughout the year! Are you just working with tomatoes? You can do so many things with them. I make spaghetti sauce, tomato juice, and salsa (which I freeze) every year. I like to pressure can everything even though some recipes call for hot water bath. I just feel a little bit safer with the pressure canner. I bought my canner on Ebay for a decent price. You may want to look online for anyone getting rid of jars. Just make sure they are clean, clean, clean and not chipped! Also, you can freeze your tomatoes. Just quarter them and throw them in a freezer bag and toss them in the freezer if they are close to going bad. Overripe tomatoes aren't recommended for canning.I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. The Ball Canning Book is awesome, too. I also have another canning book. I think it's entitled Preserving the Harvest. I'll have to check when I get home and it's an awesome resource.

Since 99.9% of the time I use peppers when I use tomatoes, I go ahead and can them together. Saves time for me.

I only jar the things that I can water bath - I don't have a pressure canner, and quite frankly, I'm afraid of pressure cookers all together. I do freeze some of the stuff from my garden and I give away a bunch of it.

You can call me if you want to Noora and I'll help you the best I can.

Be careful when adding peppers to the tomatoes. That cuts back on the acidity and you should be sure to add some lemon juice or some other type of acid if you are only hot water bathing them.

pamperedlinda said:
Since 99.9% of the time I use peppers when I use tomatoes, I go ahead and can them together. Saves time for me.

I only jar the things that I can water bath - I don't have a pressure canner, and quite frankly, I'm afraid of pressure cookers all together. I do freeze some of the stuff from my garden and I give away a bunch of it.

You can call me if you want to Noora and I'll help you the best I can.

Me too. I freeze anything that would require a pressure canner. And this year, I'm also going to try dehydrating some of it too.

ChefBeckyD said:
Me too. I freeze anything that would require a pressure canner. And this year, I'm also going to try dehydrating some of it too.

I dehydrated some fruit a few years ago, but couldn't stand the smell of it. I did some herbs too, that actually smelled good.

Teresa LM said:
Be careful when adding peppers to the tomatoes. That cuts back on the acidity and you should be sure to add some lemon juice or some other type of acid if you are only hot water bathing them.

I haven't had a problem yet, but thanks for the tip, I didn't know that.

Even the "new" tomatoes have less acid than the older tomatoes, so it's a good idea to add a little lemon juice, just to be safe.

Teresa LM said:
Even the "new" tomatoes have less acid than the older tomatoes, so it's a good idea to add a little lemon juice, just to be safe.

Ahhh, see - I only plant heirloom varieties. :) No problem with low acid here!

ChefBeckyD said:
Ahhh, see - I only plant heirloom varieties. :) No problem with low acid here!

My tomatoes are always pretty acidic too- that's why I like home-grown ones. Could be from all this georgia clay we have.

Thank you for all the great information!

We have mainly tomatoes. The strawberry plants have not produced enough this year for any to make it inside the house :D We also have zucchini, jalapenos, a habanero, corn and watermelon (although I'm suspicious of how that will work out).

The canning kits are probably need first, and I'll check out some of the books you've mentioned.

Thank you!

I second the Ball Blue Book.

esavvymom said:
I second the Ball Blue Book.

I can't help it... every time I see it, my brain wants to read "the Blue Ball Book"... :eek:

NooraK said:
I can't help it... every time I see it, my brain wants to read "the Blue Ball Book"... :eek:
Oh great. Now you have corrupted me! :cool: I'll see that too and just laugh. Canning season is coming up soon, so when I pull mine out of the cabinet, I'll just giggle. It will be like one of those songs you just can't get out of your head. My DH will think I've finally lost it for good.

NooraK said:

I'll third the "Blue Ball Book". That's what I always think of it too. We have two copies, one is a new purchase from about 2 years ago. The other is from when DH's grandma lived in our house and did a bunch of canning. It's probably from the early 90's. I haven't sat down and compared them but I'm going to do that right now!

PS - Becky - what do you use for a salsa recipe?

I 4th the BBB!
I have been canning for over 10 years now and still find myself opening it every time! More so for timing....
I'm "only 34" but my Gma canned and got me started! I still have her book, but have also bought my own (thinking there would be a difference...) but only diff i'v found, was now days single use lids are used, although you can still buy the wax for the other.... personally, I don't "trust" the old wax & reuse ones anyways. Gma was always recanning some as they didn't seal.
I actually use both, pressure canner & hot bath - recipe & time depending. But I also have a hunter/fisher for a hubbie.... and well, vacuum sealing and freezing just takes up too much needed room in freezer. Meat = pressure canner! I got my most recent one a few years back @ Walmart. $80, but I like to find other things I have to use for other things..... I do have an overly large stock pot that is almost too big and doesn't do too well on my stove top, but! I also have a turkey frier that I've used for boiling LOTS of corn on the cob (@ our large family bbq's) and have now progressed to using for canning! (NOT pressure recipes) Not to mention I need a large (PC) stock pot & burner or 2 for preparing what I'm canning.

This is wonderful as I find that I usually make more than what my jumbo canner & pressure canner (that I also use as hot water canner - don't tighten lid) can hold and have started using the frier! All done in one shot!

I usually take all jars (also 2nd the wide mouth style - so versital!) and pack my dishwasher as full as I can get it and run a hot rinse cycle. While that is heating jars.... (just like our stones... hot food, hot jars, hot water! ) I prepare everything needed for the "recipe" use canning tongs/jar grabbers and take out about 5 @ a time and close DW to keep heat in for other jars until needed. (I also put HOT water in sink for lids & bands - I'd also get the silly long handled magnet as u don't want to be getting these out w/ur hand)
Depending on what I'm canning, I may or may not use a funnel. I tried the PC ones for this, and they work, but to stay consistent with the 1/4 inch head room for expansion, the Ball ones are perfect if u fill to bottom of funnel .... just be sure the rim is CLEAN before putting lid on. Snug hand tighten ring , place in water! (already heated)

Tomato's are a wonderful fruit to begin with! If you mess preparation up too bad, just puree in blender (minus skins - strain seeds) and can tomato sauce! Or add your favorite spaghetti season & can sauce! (what it tastes like pre-can, is what it tastes like post-can)

My favorite is applesauce! PC Apple P/C/S .... and my Gma's "secret ingredients".... (hold on, I'll tell you). Honestly, with the "secrets" it doesn't matter what kind of apples.... I just suggest ones u like and use more than one variety. Also! If u want to keep it naturally sweetened, choose sweeter apples! U may not even need to add additional sugar! (i've also used other sweeteners like Splenda)
I usually hit the local farmers market and get a bushel of the cheapest variety available that day, a 1/2 bushel of honeycrisp & 1/2 bushel jonnygolds (I never used to go through that much until I started with PC!
Huh? You say?!
For YEARS! It has been a secret.... then I started with PC and our Cinnamon Plus spice is ALL THE SECRET INGREDIENTS! minus the lemon juice! So, now in the fall, I make a small batch of Apple sauce at my shows (can't wait to see how the manual FP will do) and sell MANY containers of Cinnamon Plus!

Now, obviously staring out, u won't be doing 2 bushels of apples! Or what ever....
But I would prepare the food in "good" pots and get something for canning. As it does leave funky water rings after time. Even a cheap one with rack to keep jars off bottom of pot (some have basket inserts, some jar lifter combos) , a BBB, lifter (even to get hot jars to canner), magnet & funnel.

Your biggest expense is going to be jars......(at first) **storage tip** store empty jars upside-down!

I recommend getting a pressure canner - eventually. I love my pressure canner as I also make other pressure cooker foods in it like roasts) and can use for either hot water bath or pressure canning.

Sorry for the book! Tons more to share but won't today!
Anyone can call or email if you'd like to know more!
Happy Cookin! (Canning!):D

Excellent post, Marcy! Where are you in West Michigan?

We have a lot of apple orchards around here, and I go right to an orchard, and get 1/2 bushels of apple 2nds to use for applesauce. Not a thing wrong with the apples, other than some cosmetic blemishes, but I can get them for a song!

I started canning with my Grandma & Mom too - I actually grew up in a home where we had a Canning Kitchen. :) Yep, a 2nd kitchen in our basement just for canning season. :eek:

Thank you ladies for all the great information!

Becky~ that's AWESOME I'd love to have a 2nd kitchen for canning!!!

Becky we have a kitchen just for canning too. My grandma didn't but I mother in law does. It's quite a day when we're all together processing sweet corn! Anyway, my kitchen is my shed! I have to make sure all of my products are made and have supply built up before canning season gets here. Otherwise I'm in trouble! :eek:

My mom cans, and that's how I learned. I typically do the peaches, jams, and applesauce, and she does Tomatoes (LOTS) and we trade. Since I'm in the south, I have better access to farmer's markets with the local growers than she does, so I do the fruits more.Tomatoes ARE the easiest to start with. Peaches are probably a close second- but take more prep time. Two years ago, I did big batch of applesauce. I did use the A.P/C/S and it was GREAT! And then I put all of my apples into my Nesco baker and let it cook all day. SO SUPER SIMPLE!!! I was ecstatic. It cooked down beautifully.I also put my jars in the dishwasher to wash and get hot. I then pull them out a few at a time and put them in a jar of HOT water before and then after I fill them. Make sure you have a large-spout funnel (not what we have for PC - most canning kits have them now). I use a Teapot to keep hot-water on the stove. I can then quickly boil new hot water to keep my sink-water hot, add to my small saucepan that has my lids/rings in it- so THEY stay hot, and I can add extra water to my canner if I need extra water to cover the jars once I submerge them. By the way, as I fill my jars, they go from the hot-sink water, to the canner rack which is lifted OUT of the water in the canner. That water should be near or at boiling already. I prefer to NOT have the rack touching the water if possible, in case my jar isn't hot enough. I set my jars in - be sure to alternate sides, to keep the weight even otherwise the rack will bobble and splash you with boiling water. (not cool!!). After I fill the rack with jars, I set the lid on top- but LEAVE the RACK UP out of the water. THis lets my jars steams and get hot again. After a few minutes, I lower it into the water.OH, another handy tool you must have in your canning supplies but that I cannot find online anywhere (or remember what they are called) - but I have some black "hooks" for lack of a better term. They actually have two hooks at the end of a handle (looks like the "pi" symbol - but straight. Anyway...I use them to reach into the boiling water of my canner to snag the Canning Rack handles and then lift them out. It alleviates me having to TOUCH it. Used to, I had to use tongs to get the handles out of hte water, then use some hot-pads to hold onto the handles and pull it out. With that much boiling water in your face/chest, you do not want to drop the rack! :) I'll keep looking or post a picture of my own tools. maybe you'll find it in walmart or a farm store nearby. (Farm stores by the way are great for finding supplies!)And if you do smaller jars (ie- jam jars) anytime in the future, I use THIS rack, and it's perfect. Works great for ALL size jars:
http://www.canningpantry.com/stainless-steel-canning-rack.html
canning-pantry_2160_99377158
Good website with all sorts of info on canning, plus the fruits/veggies you'd ever dream of doing:
Canning Supplies - Great prices, wide selection, fast delivery, reliable serviceDon't forget to write on your jar lids the year (and content if necessary!- some of my jams are hard to tell which variety). But definitely when you did them. Trust me, you will start to forget- the years will blur together. ("Has it been THAT long since I canned those? Wow?!")

I can everything I can get my hands on from the garden! Did over 400 jars last year .. tomatoes, sauce, salsa, pickles, relishes, fruits, jams, jellies, sauerkraut .. I love it! We grow and raise most of our produce and meat and will never go back to 'store bought'. Thanks for this awesome thread.

I too love to can and use a pressure canner. Do not be afraid of it. I use tongs to get the lids out of the little pan i use to boil them and also the wide mouth funnel(?) that fits the jar and makes it easier to fill. I also have a great recipe for freezing corn, tastes just like corn on the cob. Now that my kids are out of the house, they come back to help with corn, salsa and sauerkraut. They have to help if they want a share of the bounty!

I agree with the blue book (I hid it when DH moved out)!!
we love the dilly bean recipe in there, and several others sorry no time now to look for it but it is the best book ever

For the BBB lovers, have any of you tried the sauce recipes in there? Specifically, the pasta sauce ones?

I LOVE to can and enjoy not having to buy canned veggies from the store. I use a pressure canner (especially for venison) and water bath, too.

But a few years ago, someone said to can just enough tomatoes to have a few months worth, and freeze the rest. so, I just skin them, slice and put them in freezer ziplock bags (the ones where you write the date ;)

For "chili tomatoes" I add sliced onions and jalapenos, for other things, I add onions, fresh herbs, or leave them plain. The ONLY problem with frozen tomatoes, is you have to think about using them - leave time to thaw or micro-defrost.

It is great when you don't have enough tomatoes for 7 jars.:chef:

I went to a canning class many years ago put on by our Home Extension Service. One thing I learned - and have been doing ever since - is to put your clean jars in the oven and turn it on the minimum temperature (about 170-180 degrees) to keep them hot until ready to fill. My mom taught me to turn them upside down in a pan of hot water on the stove, so that's how I did it before learing the oven trick. Now they all go in the oven, and that clears up lots of space on top of the stove :) The silicone trivet works great to get the jars out of the oven, too!

OK, I gave away a bunch of tomatoes today because they were getting to a point where they'd start going bad, and I couldn't do anything with them, because I hadn't gotten my act together.I'm looking at this set on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NNJ42I/?tag=pfamazon01-20I have at least one, maybe two Swagbucks Amazon cards that should be hitting my account soon, so I can get this for $5 or even free. The Blue Book is available for the Kindle, so I can get that for $3.Or there's this one:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V9K8A6/?tag=pfamazon01-20And then there's the rack that was mentioned earlier:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E8QAAG/?tag=pfamazon01-20We have a large stock pot that I can use (even though I do wish it was PC).What else do I NEED to get started (other than the jars, of course)?

Becky- I'm in Holland/Zeeland!

The 2 years that I had an abundance of tomatoes but no time to get them canned soon enough I just diced them up and froze in containers or baggies until I needed to make chili or something else I would use diced tomatoes for. It worked fine.

etteluap70PC said:
The 2 years that I had an abundance of tomatoes but no time to get them canned soon enough I just diced them up and froze in containers or baggies until I needed to make chili or something else I would use diced tomatoes for. It worked fine.

I think I may have to do that.

1. What equipment do I need to start canning?

To start canning, you will need jars, a large stock pot, tongs, a jar lifter, a canning funnel, and a ladle. You may also want to have a canning rack, a bubble remover/headspace tool, and a magnetic lid lifter. It's important to have all of these tools to ensure safe and successful canning.

2. What is the process for canning tomatoes?

The process for canning tomatoes involves preparing the tomatoes by washing and removing any stems or blemishes. Then, they are blanched in boiling water for a few minutes before being plunged into an ice bath. Next, the skins are peeled off and the tomatoes are chopped or left whole. They are then heated in a pot and placed in jars with added lemon juice or citric acid for acidity. The jars are then sealed and processed in a boiling water bath for the recommended time based on your altitude and jar size.

3. How do I know if my jars are properly sealed?

After processing, you will hear a popping sound as the jars cool and the lids seal. You can also check the seals by pressing on the center of the lid - if it doesn't move, it is properly sealed. Another way to check is to remove the band and gently lift the jar by the lid - if it stays in place, it is sealed. If any jars do not seal, you can either reprocess them or store them in the refrigerator for immediate use.

4. How long can I store canned tomatoes?

Canned tomatoes can be safely stored for up to one year in a cool, dark place. It's important to label your jars with the date they were canned so you can keep track of their shelf life. If any jars show signs of spoilage or the lid pops up when pressed, do not consume the contents.

5. Can I reuse jars and lids for canning?

Jars can be reused as long as they are in good condition with no chips or cracks. However, lids are only meant for one-time use and should be replaced for each canning session. It's also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for preparing and sterilizing your jars before each use to ensure safe canning practices.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
wadesgirl