• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Smartphone or iPad: What Should I Get?

In summary, a customer is seeking advice on whether to get a smart phone or an iPad. They are open to spending money and are wondering which option would be the best. The person responding recommends the iPhone as it has improved greatly since the first version and does not have the same freezing issues as Android. They also mention that the iPad is a great option for business use and syncing with other devices. The person also recommends waiting to see if bugs are worked out before committing to a new device. They also mention that the app may work on a Kindle Fire and that this would be a more economical option for some. There is also mention of the iPad being a better choice for managing a team and for booking shows. There is a discussion about whether Android
cookingwithlove
Gold Member
Okay, I need advice.... What should I get? Should I get a smart phone or iPad. I am willing to spend the money. If a smart phone, which one? If an iPad, which one?

Smart phones - so many options and personal choice. I've had a Droid (android system) and personally dislike it. Cannot wait to get a new phone. With that said though, I have the first droid and I know they have come a long ways. Many folks I know have the same gripe I do with Android - have to power it off often as it freezes or just doesn't function. I have never heard of that with iPhone. Androids though you can simply d/l your online trainings (mp3s) without using itunes and converting them and i can just plug in my phone and transfer files as if my phone was an SD card.

Ipad, there really aren't many options other than memory (8, 32, 64) and if you want 3G or just wifi. With 3G you'll need a separate data pkg as you would as well with the smart phone. If you meant which tablet (iPad or Android), I don't know much on the other ones. I plan on going iPad vs those like Samsung Galaxy (the most popular Android tablet I believe).

Smart phone will double for you as both phone and business app tool. I think it will be easier to work on an iPad vs phone or iPod touch.

Not sure i'm really much help but there's my 2 cents :)

Melissa, I think I followed most of it. If I am on the Phone with a customer and want to place her order, how do I do this if I am on the phone? I want to make this easy. I am so resistant to change. I am leaning towards an iPad.

Wendy, you should be able to operate the application while you are on speaker phone.

I have an iPad and the big thing that I like is the larger screen. I would think it will be a lot easier to use and maneuver than on a phone but we will see when we get the app! I'm due for a phone soon and will be getting the iPhone because everything will sync.

I love that even if I'm out and about I'll be able to whip out my phone and take an order without trusting my math or calculator, no issues remembering a product price, no issues with "now what did I do with that paper". Oh! And a new contact? Just enter them right in the app!

bethcooks4u said:
I have an iPad and the big thing that I like is the larger screen. I would think it will be a lot easier to use and maneuver than on a phone but we will see when we get the app! I'm due for a phone soon and will be getting the iPhone because everything will sync.

I love that even if I'm out and about I'll be able to whip out my phone and take an order without trusting my math or calculator, no issues remembering a product price, no issues with "now what did I do with that paper". Oh! And a new contact? Just enter them right in the app!

Along with that, I love that I can enter the booking info right at the show, and immediately have it all done! No more going home and bouncing back and forth between P3 and my website! AND it's set up on my team calendar and everything all at the same time!

Which means I will be better able to manage my ENTIRE TEAM! When they build a show, I will automatically know! No more of this guessing, and begging for info, and wondering who might have shows on the calendar! I am SO excited about that!

I just got a new phone in Dec, not a smartphone. I will be waiting to see what bugs will be worked out before I commit to something new. Leaning towards a tablet for viewing size but a phone for sticking it in my purse.We asked one of the techies at the Milwaukee Spring Launch (many of those team members were there) if the app would work with the Kindle Fire and he said they had a lot of interest in that and they are working on it.Not sure if I have enough business now to justify a change -- will be watching what happens.Android or not? Issues, personal opinions???

Many people have asked me about Kindle Fire since that was the 'hot' holiday gift this year. It is android based so hopefully they can go that route b/c that is also much more economical for people to purchase (if they so choose) vs a tablet.

Melissa, I have a droid Galexy and I love it. It does none of the things that you describe but again, yours is an early version and I have had mine less than a year.

Personally, I can't imagine doing my business in a time efficient manner from my droid mainly because of the screen size.

If I were to get an ipad and still keep my droid, I would have to pay for 2 data packages, correct?

I had someone take a picture of me with their ipad...and I thought it was not something I would like.

Now, I didn't catch everything...if I wanted to go to Consultant's Corner and put in orders, etc. could I do this? I am thinking taking the card from my desktop and using my notebook to take to parties.

Still some questions so I am glad they have FAQ's!!!:help:

I'm guessing (and just a guess) that it will work on the Kindle Fire because the main part (not the app) is web-based and as long as you can access the web (which I think you can from the Kindle), it should be fine.

I'm going to snag my son's iPad on show nights until I get comfey then I'll buy one for myself! I do have an iPhone, but I'm afraid it will be too small of a screen for me to function well at a show, but will be great for taking orders when I'm out and about!

baychef said:
If I were to get an ipad and still keep my droid, I would have to pay for 2 data packages, correct?

No. Only if you buy the 3G version. The others that are wi-fi will connect for you whenever u have access to wireless internet. I personally will not buy a 3G one b/c so many hot spots are out there as well as I can tether to my Droid should I need internet where I don't have access. When I'm home, I have wireless internet so the wifi iPad would connect just fine.

Melissa- how do you do that? Could I tether to my iPhone to get wireless?

Well for my laptop i use an app (sorry my phone is not by me to look it up) but if you simply google something like using smartphone wifi to connect ipad' there are several sites and even youtube videos for "how to". Thats how i learned to use my phone and laptop... its great for when i would travel and was too cheap to pay the hotel for wifi. lol

You're brilliant. Thank you!

If you have a laptop without the mobile broadband service it's not going to work for entering info because you can't get online unless there is wi-fi available (and mobile broadband service necessary for an ipad is more expensive than the data plan for an iphone). Yo may be able to get in on a host's wi-fi, but if it's like mine it's locked down and I am not giving anyone my password. If you ask ahead, the host may be willing to have her own laptop or desktop available for you to use, but again -- there are things on MY laptop that I don't want people to see (online there are saved passwords, etc). I think for me, I will be waiting for them to work out the bugs and then decide which I will get -- an iphone or a tablet. Android or apple...not sure just yet. My son has an iphone and will be getting an ipad in March, so I am planning on using his to see which I prefer.I am in no hurry to switch. I don't have 3 or 4 shows a week on my schedule right now and so the benefit for me at this moment will not outweigh the cost. I can still enter things at home, and I am not afraid of paper. And from what we were told, the credit card system will work the same as it does now....if they are rejected, you will find out AFTER you submit the show, it's not cleared immediately at the show.Time will tell --

jwpamp said:
If you have an ipad without the mobile broadband service it's not going to work for entering info because you can't get online unless there is wi-fi available (and mobile broadband service necessary for an ipad is more expensive than the data plan for an iphone).

I disagree. Apps you can use without being on wifi and I listened very well to their explaination as well as Becky listed it and we spoke with Exec Cindy Lazor who was on the committee too and you "CAN" use the app offline.

In Baltimore, it was repeated more than once, how those without internet access of ANY kind could still use the app to input orders. You just have to be with internet to submit and process it all but you can enter your info without wifi/internet. (I'm strickly speaking of the 'app', not the web-based page)

So sorry -- I meant that if you were on a laptop you couldn't enter orders...you are so right, the app should work offline to enter, but not to submit. It should have said "laptop" not "ipad".Sorry! Thanks for correcting that -- trying to do 2 things at once, post AND watch the superbowl!

QUOTE=Melissa78;46605]No. Only if you buy the 3G version. The others that are wi-fi will connect for you whenever u have access to wireless internet. I personally will not buy a 3G one b/c so many hot spots are out there as well as I can tether to my Droid should I need internet where I don't have access. When I'm home, I have wireless internet so the wifi iPad would connect just fine.[/QUOTE]

:woohoo: I want to kiss you...but before you accept...realize, my hot water heater is being replaced today and Saturday morning was the last time I have been completly clean:yuck::yuck:

I am excited about it, when they get it up and running...I think that in the long run it will be way more efficient and all-in-one...I just hope that they don't have as many bugs as they do now....I highly recommend that if you don't have at least 4 g ram on your computer that you process orders on you upgrade. Ram is cheap now and it is going to make your internet run way smoother...

Wow, great conversation guys. I am not going to run right out and get an iPad/tablet or what not, but I am so glad to have this conversation.

My personal opinion is whether you get a phone or a tablet, get Android. Android IMHO is so much easier to use, easier to customize and a LOT of the apps are free because it's open source software. apple products are run by Apple...and Apple wants to make a lot of money. They make it very difficult to keep older technology by forcing you to upgrade to versions of software the don't run well on older versions of the unit. I had an iPhone that stopped working until I upgraded, but when I upgraded it bogged down the whole system and it wouldn't work properly. When I called about it, I was told this is a common issue with Apple upgrades, yet they are mandatory. I just love that the Android apps are so much more affordable. I don't think I've paid for a single app. You do have some that come with advertising if you don't pay for them, or limited capability unless you buy the premium version, but I've been very happy with the basic versions of apps I've been downloading. So in short, my opinion is Android. But do lots of research and decide what would work best for you. :)

I have only paid for two apps and both were under $2. I do have a lot of useful free apps on my iPad so I guess it's all about what you want. As far as upgrades, I've only had the iPad one year so haven't run into it myself but my son who has been apple forever has never complained ...but then he does go out and buy the latest and greatest so, thinking about it, he's not a good one to ask. With what these cost in the first place they should make it easier to keep using for a loooong time or at least give you a good discount with a trade in. lol I know! They gotta make their big bucks.

Yeah I'm not sure about iPads, but with my iPhone it was ridiculous. It was to the point that it was unusable. When I tried to type something in, it took literally minutes (anywhere from 2-5) for it to register that I typed something...I did all kinds of things to try to fix it and then I called their tech support and was told it was because my phone model wasn't good enough (not their words) to support the new software...but when I asked how to downgrade they said I couldn't. It was ridiculous.

I have no problems with my iPhone. I don't have the most current one and even when I had the one before this, I didn't seem to have those problems. Sometimes I never upgraded to the new version and when I did finally do it, I personally didn't notice any difference in speed.

I had the Droid X for 2 years and just switched to the iPhone. I personally like the iPhone so much better! I liked the Droid, but my main complaint was the battery SUCKED!!!!! It would be dead by noon, and I did not have much running in the background either. I'm not a huge app user (yet) so haven't had any issues with those. And, I think that Siri is awesome on the iPhone ;) !

Ah yes, battery life is terrible on my Android phone. It's something I can live with since I'm usually at home or in the car where it can be plugged in...but yes it can be a huge pain.

pamperedlinda said:
I had the Droid X for 2 years and just switched to the iPhone. I personally like the iPhone so much better! I liked the Droid, but my main complaint was the battery SUCKED!!!!! It would be dead by noon, and I did not have much running in the background either. I'm not a huge app user (yet) so haven't had any issues with those. And, I think that Siri is awesome on the iPhone ;) !

Mine holds a charge well. I did get a large battery as a back up but I haven't used it yet. I am wondering if they improved on it.

baychef said:
Mine holds a charge well. I did get a large battery as a back up but I haven't used it yet. I am wondering if they improved on it.

The extra battery wasn't available on the Droid X when I had it. I am home most of the time so plugging in wasn't a huge issue. But when I traveled it was unbearable! In Chicago last summer the phone was at 20% by lunch. So far the iPhone will last me all day, even surfing around and fb'ing it.

Love love love my Iphone and Ipad, I use the Ipad wirelessly....it's my fav.....

Related to Smartphone or iPad: What Should I Get?

1. Should I get a smart phone or iPad?

It ultimately depends on your personal needs and preferences. Smartphones are more portable and can be used for communication, internet browsing, and accessing various apps. iPads, on the other hand, have a larger screen and can be used for tasks such as reading, watching videos, and creating documents. Consider what you will primarily use the device for before making a decision.

2. I am willing to spend the money. Which one should I get?

Both smartphones and iPads can be expensive, so it's important to choose the one that best fits your needs. If you prioritize communication and convenience, a smartphone may be the better option. If you need a larger screen and more functionality, an iPad may be the better choice.

3. If a smart phone, which one?

There are many different smartphones on the market, each with its own unique features and capabilities. Research and compare different options to find one that meets your needs and fits your budget. Consider factors such as operating system, camera quality, storage capacity, and battery life.

4. If an iPad, which one?

Similar to smartphones, there are multiple versions of iPads available. Consider factors such as screen size, storage capacity, and additional features (such as cellular connectivity) when choosing the right iPad for you. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare prices before making a decision.

5. Do I need both a smartphone and an iPad?

It depends on your personal needs and preferences. Some people find that having both a smartphone and an iPad is helpful for different tasks. However, if you primarily use your device for communication and internet browsing, you may not need both. Consider your budget and what you will primarily use the device for before making a decision.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • chefjeanine
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Bec5287
  • meganmcg