• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Skillet vs. Sauté Pan: Is It Really That Big A Deal?

In summary, Carolyn's husband pointed out that our catalogs refer to a skillet as a saute pan, and vice versa. Carolyn verified this in multiple places online and found that this is correct. Carolyn's problem is that she feels like it hurts her credibility as a salesperson to call something by the wrong name. Carolyn's solution is to just ignore it and carry on. Carolyn had never really thought of it before and said that it feels the same as calling a pipe wrench a monkey wrench. Has anyone else noticed this discrepancy? Yes, I've noticed it and it bothers me. Carolyn feels like it hurts her credibility as a salesperson to call something by the wrong name and said that it feels the same as calling a pipe wrench a monkey
cgreen
Tonight my husband pointed out that our catalogs refer to a skillet as a saute pan, and vice versa. I never thought about it before, but I verified it in multiple places online and in my library of cookbooks, and he is correct.

Here's one definition for skillet, which is similar to ALL the others I've found:

A frying pan, frypan, or skillet is a pan used for frying, searing, and browning foods. It is typically an 8 to 12 inch (20 to 30 cm) diameter flat pan with flared sides and no lid. In contrast, a pan of similar size with straight sides and a lid is called a sauté pan.​

I guess my problem is that I feel like it hurts my credibility as a salesperson to call something by the wrong name. It feels the same as a guy in a hardware store calling a pipe wrench a monkey wrench. The distinction is small, and plenty of people might not know the difference, but the hardware guy should.

Has anyone else realized this? Am I weird to be concerned about it?

Yes, I've noticed it and it drives me batty. So I just ignore it and carry on.

I had never really thought of it. I guess I've always considered sauté pans to be smaller so that is one of the reasons maybe. Don't worry about your credibility though because you are just relaying what is in the catalog!

cgreen said:
Tonight my husband pointed out that our catalogs refer to a skillet as a saute pan, and vice versa. I never thought about it before, but I verified it in multiple places online and in my library of cookbooks, and he is correct.

Here's one definition for skillet, which is similar to ALL the others I've found:

A frying pan, frypan, or skillet is a pan used for frying, searing, and browning foods. It is typically an 8 to 12 inch (20 to 30 cm) diameter flat pan with flared sides and no lid. In contrast, a pan of similar size with straight sides and a lid is called a sauté pan.​

I guess my problem is that I feel like it hurts my credibility as a salesperson to call something by the wrong name. It feels the same as a guy in a hardware store calling a pipe wrench a monkey wrench. The distinction is small, and plenty of people might not know the difference, but the hardware guy should.

Has anyone else realized this? Am I weird to be concerned about it?

Copy the info you found, include links to the websites, and forward it all to the solution center -- Home Office truly listens when we speak -- so maybe they'll make a change in teh next catalog.

Yes, I've noticed this discrepancy. No, it doesn't bother me. (I wouldn't be upset, though, if it were corrected.) I've been in high-end kitchen stores and noticed the same issue--one type of pan labelled as another.While I agree that this is definitely a "one is right, the other wrong" issue, in my head it's more of a to-ma-to/to-mah-to thing.

Not something I have ever thought too hard about, but I had figured that a saute pan was a smaller pan, where as a skillet was a larger pan.

Forward it, Forward it On. As Carolyn stated I am sure they will listen and simply thank the guest for pointing that out if someone says something.

Dear concerned consultant,Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. It's true that there is often confusion between the terms "skillet" and "saute pan," and it's important for us as consultants to have a clear understanding of the products we are selling.While some people may use the terms interchangeably, there are actually some subtle differences between a skillet and a saute pan. A skillet typically has sloped sides and is used for cooking foods quickly at high temperatures, while a saute pan has straight sides and is better for slow cooking and braising. Additionally, a saute pan often comes with a lid, while a skillet usually does not.As you mentioned, it's important for us to use the correct terminology when discussing our products with customers. It not only shows our knowledge and expertise, but it also helps customers understand the specific features and uses of each product. I encourage you to continue educating yourself on the differences between skillets and saute pans and confidently use the correct terms when speaking with customers.Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and keep up the great work as a pampered chef consultant!

1. What is the main difference between a skillet and a sauté pan?

A skillet is typically a wide, shallow pan with slanted sides and a long handle, while a sauté pan has straight sides and a larger, looped handle.

2. Can I use a skillet in place of a sauté pan?

While both pans can be used for similar tasks, using a skillet in place of a sauté pan may result in different cooking times and outcomes due to the difference in their shapes and sizes.

3. Which pan is better for cooking delicate foods?

A sauté pan is generally better for cooking delicate foods because its straight sides and larger surface area allow for more even heat distribution and less risk of overcrowding.

4. Is one pan more versatile than the other?

Both a skillet and a sauté pan have their own unique uses and advantages. A skillet is great for searing and browning, while a sauté pan is better for cooking with liquids and making sauces.

5. How do I choose between a skillet and a sauté pan?

Consider the type of cooking you do most often and the types of dishes you want to create. If you primarily cook meats and want to achieve a crispy exterior, a skillet may be the better option. If you enjoy cooking with liquids and want a pan that can handle larger quantities, a sauté pan may be a better choice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Katiek77
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
ughubug
  • dannyzmom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • dannyzmom