• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Take Bookings or Bless and Release?

In summary, the new consultant did not take any of the bookings that the previous consultant gave her. The previous consultant is now trying to give the new consultant a day at a booth to get her going.
chefsteph07
I'm in a quandry and need some sound ethical advice!

Back at the end of January, I had a host who wanted sign on with me. At my host's original party, I got a booking. My host wanted me to do the show because she wasn't ready to start yet and the show date from the booking was coming up. I agreed to do the show and I told her that any bookings I got off this party, I would automatically give to her. Well, the party ended up with FOUR bookings. I don't think that any of them booked specifically for my new consultant, I think they all genuinely wanted to have shows. I gave my new girl all the info of the bookings and left it to her to take them on and get rolling.

Fast forward to now. My consultant has not done ONE live show. I don't even think she's done ANYTHING with the bookings I got for her. She has turned in $150 every other month and last month that she turned in, she had about 100.00 in orders so my director helped her make it with an individual order.

I HAVE asked her if she has spoken with any of the bookings that I got her and she has NEVER given me a straight answer. It's always "yes, I left a message, yes, it's not a good time for so and so, etc". Up until now, I have left it in her hands. HOWEVER, I have had the inclination to call these bookings myself to see if they still want to have shows or what's going on. If my consultant is not going to do them, I'd like to schedule them.

My question is, is that wrong or unethical of me to do? I have struggled with this since I have had the feeling she isn't or hasn't been doing anything with them. They were all enthusistic about hosting. I am afraid to this point that they may be lost since it's been a few months. What should I do? Leave it all up to my consultant, or call them myself? I don't want to ask my consultant anymore about it because I feel that if she was going to do something with them, she would have already.(and I HAVE asked her about them a few times already, I don't want to beat a dead horse w/ her) I am very disappoointed because I really thought I set her up to start off with a bang.

Now I have spoken with her about the month of May and yet again, she doesn't have anything going in. I'm giving her a day at a booth that I and another consultant are doing next weekend to try to get her going, but I don't know....The whole thing just really disappoints and aggravates me more than anything.

Advice?

I think I'd invite her to coffee and ask her if she's gotten anywhere with those potential hosts. If she gives you the same type of answers, tell her that you're surprised. The contacts seemed excited. Tell her there's nothing wrong with deciding that she doesn't want to work with those contacts, and ask if she'd prefer that you take care of them.Does that make sense?

I have always left contacts with the new consultant but in this case they weren't from her show. Did she know them? I might call the potential hosts and see where they're at (and at some point in the conversation ask them how they know her). Be the person looking out for her interests. Say something like "I know you were very excited about doing a show but _____ says timing hasn't been right for you." See what they say. Some will say that they are no longer interested. Others may say they still want to do it. I would definitely tell them that you are calling in her behalf, that you are trying to help a new consultant.

If they want a show and they want to do it with you they will let you know. I don't see a reason to even say anything to the new consultant about it and if she brings it up just say that the host told you she felt more comfortable with you.

If they are willing to do it with her, you need to let her know that you "happened" to talk to __________ and she wants a show in June. If she then doesn't follow up, call the host back, see what she is thinking. If you don't know if she's followed up remember that you've been building a relationship with the host so you could call her and ask if _______ has arranged the show date and ask if she has any questions (again you're trying to help the consultant) then if she hasn't been contacted she will probably book it with you.

Whatever, the bookings are hers and you are trying to help her since you got her the bookings but you also need to help the customer. If you go about it with the attitude of how can I help you will be fine.

Good advice from Beth. I once had a recruit who was supposed to take the bookings from a show of mine near her (really too far for me to keep driving). My past host called me to say that the recruit never followed up with the booking leads so I called them and did their shows.

I wonder how you're phrasing your question to your recruit. Do you say "how are those booking leads from Jane's show coming along?" or do you say "From Jane's show, there was Mary. What has Mary said about booking? When did you last contact her? There was Suzie. What has Suzie said about booking?" You get the idea. Go through each name and get a specific response from her. If she doesn't give you details, then you know she hasn't really followed up with these people. Or she may tell you she talked to them. Find out WHEN! She may think that one voicemail 2 months ago was enough.

Your best bet is to go with Beth's advice and call the people yourself. You'll find out from them that what your recruit has or has not done and you can take it from there.

You can't spoon feed her too much. It's one thing to give her some bookings. I have one recruit that I am amazed keeps going at the biz, but she has the determination and desire. We can't give that to people. They have to want to work their biz. If your recruit is really frustrated with only having $150 every other month, then you or your director need to offer more training for her. She may be relatively happy with this and not want to do any more. Sorry, getting into the whole thing of why she joined PC to begin with.

Don't feel bad if you end up reclaiming these bookings and doing the shows. You have given her more than enough time to work these leads.

I can see how one motivated host might change her mind, but all 4? It does sound like your new recruit is either scared of the phone, or made a "newbie" impression on the 4 hostesses & scared them away. I'd definitely ask her about each one individually and see what kind of follow up that she's done with each. Once I give a booking to a recruit, I don't call the potential host at all. I leave that up to the new recruit. But in your scenario, I think I'd be tempted to get involved. Maybe ask the new recruit if she would like for YOU to call the potential hosts on a conference call with the new recruit to let her in on the conversation & be able to hear how you approach hosts. It might be great training for her. ;)

My question is did you tell those hosts from the show that was not the new consultants that she would be the one contacting them and following through with their show? If you did, then calling them to try and help her out will be appreciated I'm sure. And if during the call you find that they have not been contacted, I would simply ask if they would prefer you to do the show or continue to wait for her.

Just came across this post and am so curious as to what happend?? Where you able to get a hold of the leads? And how did it all turn out?

Thanks for inquiring, nothing has happened as of yet. My consultant still has not done any of these shows and I did call and get in touch w/ 2 out of the 4. Both said that they spoke to my consultant initially, one was going to hold off and the other wanted to do May, but never heard from her again.

To Sharon: Yes, I announced at the party that the new consultant would be taking over for me. My consultant was actually a guest at this show and hadn't signed up yet. She wanted to watch me do another party besides her own so she could actually pay attention and observe.

Becca: I pretty much went with your first scenario instead of stating exactly what was done w/ each booking. I didn't want to "grill" her on them because I was leaving it up to her to take care of it since I assumed she's a big girl and can take care of it herself. (and has seen me on numerous occassions w/ the biz AND has come to nearly every meeting since signing in early Feb!)

I'm still wondering how exactly I should approach this because EVERY time I ask my consultant about her bookings, etc she always states that she has things to turn in but didn't turn in a thing last month and is very touch and go now about getting in touch w her. I'm gonna give it another month and if she doesn't turn anything in at the end of July I'm going to take them over. I don't know what else to do.

I just read through this thread, and I noticed one thing that seems to be overlooked here....remember, the past host gets to take advantage of the current host special at the next show, BUT....the show MUST take place within six months! It sounds like you're getting dangerously close to that time limit!
Perhaps you could use that as an excuse to contact her one more time. And, you may even want to contact the past host, to see if she could help get in touch with the four booked hosts; after all, it really would be a shame if she lost out on FOUR host specials!
Best of luck! Let us know how it works out!

1. Should I take bookings or bless and release?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the goals you have for your business. Both options have their benefits and it's important to weigh them carefully before making a decision.

2. What are the advantages of taking bookings?

Taking bookings allows you to have a set schedule and know exactly when you will be hosting parties or events. It also gives you the opportunity to build relationships with repeat customers and potentially increase your sales.

3. How does bless and release work?

Bless and release means that you do not actively seek out bookings, but instead let customers come to you when they are interested in hosting a party. This can free up your schedule and allow you to focus on other aspects of your business.

4. What are the benefits of bless and release?

Bless and release can be less stressful and time-consuming compared to taking bookings. It also allows you to have a more flexible schedule and potentially reach a wider range of customers.

5. Can I do a combination of both?

Yes, you can definitely do a combination of both taking bookings and bless and release. This can give you the best of both worlds and allow you to cater to different types of customers and situations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
finley1991
  • byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • PamperedK