• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rice Cooker Fire Hazards: Have You Experienced This Before?

In summary, a customer experienced a fire in her microwave while cooking rice in her rice cooker. This has also happened to other customers. It is recommended to follow the instructions and correct water/rice ratio when using the rice cooker. The company, Pampered Chef, has excellent customer service and will replace any damaged cookers.
PChefPEI
Silver Member
I had a customer just call me to tell me that she was cooking rice in her rice cooker last night and it caught fire in her microwave!! :eek: :eek: There was smoke everywhere and the cooker got stuck to the glass plate in the microwave! Has anyone heard of that happening before??

Yes, I had this happen...she didn't do the timing and water right. (as I later found I didn't) It stinks SOOOOOOO bad. I do not have a turn table.

OMG! That happened to one of my customers, too. Oh was she mad! (From my 3rd show, not what I wanted to deal with, let me tell you :))My cust. insisted that she followed all directions, but I had my doubts. Hers melted & burned. What a mess & her microwave was a built-in piece that vented to the outside. I left it between her & SS eventually.Good luck :)

You think HO will take it back? I hope so!! She was more intriged than anything and said she will go back to cooking rice the old fashioned way! Can't say I blame her...that would give me a scare too!!

I think they will take it back but...you never know!

they took back the one that my customer melted/ burned. But she was within her first 30- days, if memory serves me correctly.
Call HO & see what they say. They were quite stunned (I mean surprised, not unintelligent) when I called about my customer.

I have never had problems with cooking rice, though it does get pretty hot.
The first time I tried to make the cake in the rice cooker I had something similar happen. I misread the directions and placed the drops of frosting around the top of the cake batter and some found its way to the side. Whew, it was like burnt popcorn for a few days. It didn't harm the cooker but sure did smell up the place.

I completely melted the bottom of my Rice Cooker when it first came out~I cooked Rice-A-Roni in it and was "browning" the rice & butter.....BAD move. Had I read the directions first (they include that card with instructions for a reason!) I would have known not to do this! HO did replace mine, God love them!

I just had that happen to me last night (with the Rice-A-Roni) and I came on here looking for advice on how to get the burnt rice off the bottom and if it will still work.... I've had it longer than 30 days so I doubt that they'll take it back since it does state it right on the Use and Care, which I should have read again, since I forgot about that part. Any thoughts or advice on how to clean it? I really like it and don't want to lose it....Paula

Paula, mine was impossible to clean and I am pretty sure it was past the 30 days....I may have just gotten a sympathetic HO person, but I would try to get it replaced.
Mine got so bad with me trying to soak it that it became molded.......YUCK!

wow!!! I have NEVER heard of this!! That is scary!!

I definitely can't get it clean, it is like the rice is cooked right into the plastic now. I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try.... I'll let you know what they say. Thanks!

Paula

Well, called HO and they gave me a ref# for the return...no questions asked! Don't you love PC? :love: They have got to be tops in customer service!

It happens when you do not get the water/rice ratio correct and timing. I "winged" it once. Thought I remembered the directions..... burned the rice melted the cooker it was useless! I was bummed since it's the only way I can get rice to come out right. I never tried to get it replaced since it was my stupidity and it was out of waranty any way.

1. Can the rice cooker catch fire while cooking?

While it is possible for any kitchen appliance to catch fire, Pampered Chef's rice cookers are designed with safety features to minimize this risk. As long as the rice cooker is used according to the instructions and not left unattended, the chances of it catching fire are very low.

2. What causes a rice cooker to catch fire?

Rice cookers can catch fire due to a variety of reasons, such as using the wrong type of rice, overfilling the cooker, or using damaged or incorrect parts. It is important to always follow the instructions and use the recommended ingredients and accessories to prevent any potential fire hazards.

3. Are there any warning signs that a rice cooker may catch fire?

In most cases, there are warning signs before a rice cooker catches fire. These can include unusual noises, burning smells, or smoke coming from the appliance. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to turn off the rice cooker immediately and unplug it from the power source to prevent a potential fire.

4. What should I do if my rice cooker catches fire?

If your rice cooker catches fire, do not panic. Turn off the power source and unplug the appliance if it is safe to do so. If the fire is small and manageable, you can try to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher or cover it with a metal lid. However, if the fire is large or spreading, evacuate the area and call the fire department for assistance.

5. How can I prevent my rice cooker from catching fire?

To prevent your rice cooker from catching fire, always read and follow the instructions provided by Pampered Chef. Only use the recommended ingredients and accessories and do not leave the rice cooker unattended while in use. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain the rice cooker to prevent any potential fire hazards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kreaser
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • NewDirectorKaren
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KimoMakano
  • byrd1956