• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Remembering Cheetah-Mike: The Iconic Chimpanzee from the Tarzan Movies

In summary, Cheetah-Mike, the chimpanzee who played Cheeta in the Tarzan movies, passed away in 2011 at the age of 80 from kidney failure. He was the last surviving actor from the series, with Johnny Weismuller, Maureen O'Sullivan, and Brenda Joyce passing away before him. Although it is unknown exactly how many films he appeared in, Cheetah-Mike brought joy and entertainment to many through his performances as Cheeta. Rest in peace, Cheetah-Mike.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Who knew? :confused:

Cheetah-Mike, the chimpanzee who played Cheeta in the Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Sullivan, died on December 24, 2011. Retired from show business, the chimp died from kidney failure at the Suncoast Primate Sanctuary in Palm Harbor, Florida. His age was unknown but he was thought to be about 80. (Chimpanzees have a life span of about 60 years.)

http://o1.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/resize/273x203/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/1aa092aa9e1c26a0aa2d4eb067483a09

I had no idea he was still alive!

Cheetah-Mike was the last of the series actors (I think) to pass on. Weismuller (Tarzan) died in 1984, Maureen O'Sullivan (Jane) died in 1998, Johnny Sheffield (Boy) died in 2010. Weismuller and O'Sullivan starred in Tarzan the Ape Man in 1932. Ray "Crash" Corrigan is listed in the credits as "Ape" and I cannot find a credit for Cheetah. It appears that Maureen O'Sullivan starred as Jane for the last time in Tarzan's New York Adventure. Brenda Joyce played Jane in most of the rest of the series, including opposite Lex Barker as Tarzan. She died in 2009. Tarzan and the Mermaids was the last Tarzan movie with Weismuller.

I cannot find a listing anywhere of the films he was actually in, but here are the Weismuller Tarzan movies in the series. Cheetah-Mike had to be in at least the first few.

Tarzan the Ape Man - 1932
Tarzan and His Mate - 1934
Tarzan Escapes - 1936
Tarzan Find a Son! - 1939
Tarzan's Secret Treasure - 1941
Tarzan's New York Adventure - 1942
Tarzan Triumphs - 1943
Tarzan's Desert Mystery - 1943
Tarzan and the Amazons - 1945
Tarzan and the Leopard Woman - 1946
Tarzan and the Huntress - 1947
Tarzan and the Mermaids - 1948

Rest in Peace, Cheetah-Mike.

You brought joy and entertainment to so many people through your performances as Cheeta in the Tarzan movies. Thank you for being a part of our childhood memories.

Wow, I had no idea Cheetah-Mike was still alive either! It's sad to hear of his passing, but at least he lived a long life. It's incredible that he was a part of so many of the Tarzan movies, and it's a shame that there isn't a complete list of all the films he appeared in. I remember watching those movies as a kid and being amazed by the chimpanzee who played Cheeta. Rest in peace, Cheetah-Mike. Your legacy will live on through your performances and the memories you created for so many people.

You will always be remembered as the iconic chimpanzee from the Tarzan movies. Thank you for bringing joy and entertainment to so many people. Your legacy will live on forever.

1. Who was Cheeta and why is their death significant?

Cheeta was a chimpanzee who gained fame for appearing in numerous Tarzan films in the 1930s and 1940s. Their death at the age of 80 is significant because they were one of the last surviving animals from the Golden Age of Hollywood and symbolized the end of an era in the film industry.

2. How did Cheeta die?

Cheeta passed away from kidney failure at the Suncoast Primate Sanctuary in Palm Harbor, Florida, where they had been living since 1960.

3. Was Cheeta actually the animal's real name?

No, Cheeta was not the chimpanzee's real name. They were originally named Jiggs, but their name was changed to Cheeta for their role in the Tarzan films.

4. Did Cheeta have any other claims to fame besides their role in the Tarzan films?

Aside from their film career, Cheeta also appeared in various television shows, commercials, and even had their own comic book series. They were also known for their painting abilities and had artwork displayed in galleries around the world.

5. Will there be a public memorial for Cheeta?

No public memorial is currently planned for Cheeta. However, the Suncoast Primate Sanctuary where they lived is planning to hold a private memorial for staff and volunteers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back